Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Reverse engineer the dongle to create an etherblast, that's what caused the lightbulbs to blow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

spankmeister posted:

I would seriously consider reverse engineering the dongle and writing a TSR.

As soon as I'm finished hacking the planetGibson I'll get right on it.

TheGreenBandit
Dec 22, 2006

President of the United States of Boogers
Hey now, I like my dongle as is thank you very much.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
reverse engineer my dongle from the back

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Migishu posted:

Reverse engineer the dongle to create an etherblast, that's what caused the lightbulbs to blow!
Dongle story!

I once told a group of police officers that I was looking for a wireless dongle because they had wireless mice and keyboards. They found this hilarious because it sounds like dong! I eventually unplugged one of the two remaining out of 30 or so in the room to show them. Why no it's not a random flash drive. Turns out they had recently had state training and learned about flash drives in parking lots and to destroy unknown flash drives. They had had these wireless keyboard + mouse setups for years.

We ended up getting some replacements and it was constantly playing "hide the dong". It was funny for a few minutes but holy poo poo 6 months later it is not funny that every time IT is on site that the keyboard and mouse don't work because you wanted to tell them you cannot find the computer's dong. I got a bigger bag and put a keyboard in it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

TheGreenBandit posted:

NT? I admin an ancient DOS based system which can't even properly use extended memory. Luckily, we've budgeted for an upgrade, but maintaining this system is a beast.

At least I don't have to worry about remote vulnerabilities at the moment...

Edit: Someone should start a SCADA thread.

We might still have a few super specific DOS boxes around, those things just seem to soldier on, even in the shittiest most terrible environments. Tthe fact that you can still buy new ISA motherboards in the year of our lord 2016 still amazes me.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I owe someone in this thread a case of beer or bottle of the good stuff.

We got hit with a Locky variant late yesterday. It came in the form of an email supposedly from FedEx saying a package had been delivered and to open the attachment for details. Well, one of the college kids we have working in reception did just that. Fortunately I had set up file screening on our file server per a suggestion earlier in this thread (might have even been the previous one) and it slammed the door hard on Locky's attempt to encrypt the shares.

All told I only have one laptop to flatten and reinstall and two files to restore to the file server from backup.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

PremiumSupport posted:

I owe someone in this thread a case of beer or bottle of the good stuff.

We got hit with a Locky variant late yesterday. It came in the form of an email supposedly from FedEx saying a package had been delivered and to open the attachment for details. Well, one of the college kids we have working in reception did just that. Fortunately I had set up file screening on our file server per a suggestion earlier in this thread (might have even been the previous one) and it slammed the door hard on Locky's attempt to encrypt the shares.

All told I only have one laptop to flatten and reinstall and two files to restore to the file server from backup.
Are you talking about https://fsrm.experiant.ca If so, that was me and I'm glad it helped!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

My roommate is a network engineer and got his own personal laptop hit with that because he had JUST sent a certified FedEx express package with his documentation to bring his wife to the states.

He had to do some ridiculous stuff to unencrypt everything. Something about comparing an encrypted and unencrypted file.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

pixaal posted:

Dongle story!

I once told a group of police officers that I was looking for a wireless dongle because they had wireless mice and keyboards. They found this hilarious because it sounds like dong! I eventually unplugged one of the two remaining out of 30 or so in the room to show them. Why no it's not a random flash drive. Turns out they had recently had state training and learned about flash drives in parking lots and to destroy unknown flash drives. They had had these wireless keyboard + mouse setups for years.

We ended up getting some replacements and it was constantly playing "hide the dong". It was funny for a few minutes but holy poo poo 6 months later it is not funny that every time IT is on site that the keyboard and mouse don't work because you wanted to tell them you cannot find the computer's dong. I got a bigger bag and put a keyboard in it.

Now you know why they're called receivers.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

nexxai posted:

Are you talking about https://fsrm.experiant.ca If so, that was me and I'm glad it helped!

Yes, that's the one. Thank you again!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

My roommate is a network engineer and got his own personal laptop hit with that because he had JUST sent a certified FedEx express package with his documentation to bring his wife to the states.

He had to do some ridiculous stuff to unencrypt everything. Something about comparing an encrypted and unencrypted file.

Yeah it looks like it's actually a variant called Nemucod that was released earlier this year. It only encrypts the first 2048 bytes of the file making it fairly easy to decrypt if you have a good copy of an encrypted file in a backup somewhere. Basically there's a tool that compares the two files and constructs a decryption key.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

PremiumSupport posted:

Yes, that's the one. Thank you again!

Yeah it looks like it's actually a variant called Nemucod that was released earlier this year. It only encrypts the first 2048 bytes of the file making it fairly easy to decrypt if you have a good copy of an encrypted file in a backup somewhere. Basically there's a tool that compares the two files and constructs a decryption key.

Yeah. He's a really smart guy he's just working two jobs and hasn't seen his wife in 6 months. It's like an overworked chef grabbing a pan out of the oven with a wet towel.

I didn't laugh at him too much.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
User gets new computer that I set up this morning. I have her log in to make sure everything is in order. The only thing left to do is have her set up her Office 365 account. My procedure on this is to walk them through the initial sign-in because changing the initial temp password is apparently an impossible loving task for users. User declines to do this.

:downs: "Oh, I won't need Office today. I'm just doing attendance."
:v: "It will only take a few seconds. You won't be able to access any of the Office programs until your account is set up."
:downs: "We can do it later. I won't need it today."
:v: "But you might need it. Someone may send you an excel sheet or Word document you have to open."
:downs: "Yeah, but they won't. We'll do it later."
:v: "Uh, ok fine."

Two hours later a ticket comes in.

"I am unable to access Microsoft Publisher."

Director and Principal have been CC'd.

At least I have her signature on the ticket saying she declined to set up her Office account.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

larchesdanrew posted:

User gets new computer that I set up this morning. I have her log in to make sure everything is in order. The only thing left to do is have her set up her Office 365 account. My procedure on this is to walk them through the initial sign-in because changing the initial temp password is apparently an impossible loving task for users. User declines to do this.

:v: "It will only take a few seconds. You won't be able to access any of the Office programs until your account is set up."
:v: "But you might need it. Someone may send you an excel sheet or Word document you have to open."

At least I have her signature on the ticket saying she declined to set up her Office account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA1mbZ_MMh8

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

larchesdanrew posted:

You didn't tell me I wouldn't be able to access Publisher. You said we were going to set up Office, I don't need that.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

nexxai posted:

I keep meaning to set this up myself, is there any kind of performance hit?

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

nexxai posted:

I'd like to thank you as well, kind sir. I've set up a custom version at my place of work using the CryptoBlocker.ps1 script provided on the page. Although I must admit if you our others have experience setting it up on a clustered filesystem I'd love to hit you up for some advice - It works fine on regular windows servers, but if one belongs to a cluster, it fails to apply the block permissions to the shares.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Super Slash posted:

I keep meaning to set this up myself, is there any kind of performance hit?
Not that we've seen but I suppose YMMV. To put it in perspective, we have it running on a server that 45 *heavy* AutoCAD users (who are notoriously picky about speed in general; they all get Xeon workstations with SSDs and 16GB of RAM) store their drawings on and none of them have mentioned anything to us, and I would expect them to if it was causing any kind of issue.

Lynxifer posted:

I'd like to thank you as well, kind sir. I've set up a custom version at my place of work using the CryptoBlocker.ps1 script provided on the page. Although I must admit if you our others have experience setting it up on a clustered filesystem I'd love to hit you up for some advice - It works fine on regular windows servers, but if one belongs to a cluster, it fails to apply the block permissions to the shares.
I'm glad to hear that you're finding use from it! Unforunately I don't have any experience with clustering Windows File Shares so I'm not the right guy to be asking about it. Sorry :(

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

uPen posted:

You didn't tell me I wouldn't be able to access Publisher. You said we were going to set up Office, I don't need that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCa7tKiCMN4&t=70s

Oh how cathartic it would be...

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I think my abject contempt for our daily work standup meetings is starting to become a little too apparent.

today I literally couldn't think of anything to say about what I did yesterday except "i did tickets" and today was "i am going to do tickets" and then I just sat there until someone else started talking

😕

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

iajanus posted:

I think my abject contempt for our daily work standup meetings is starting to become a little too apparent.

today I literally couldn't think of anything to say about what I did yesterday except "i did tickets" and today was "i am going to do tickets" and then I just sat there until someone else started talking

😕

Theoretically, that's a totally appropriate response in a stand up. Are you being blocked? No? Are you taking tasks and processing them in a timely fashion with no backlog? No?

Great!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Theoretically, that's a totally appropriate response in a stand up. Are you being blocked? No? Are you taking tasks and processing them in a timely fashion with no backlog? No?

Great!

True, but what I really would like to tell the meeting is slightly different; I'm surrounded by sales people who are incompetent and keep promising impossible features and services to clients, customers who can't read or do basic tasks without hand-holding or screaming tantrums, and my support staff who range from completely incompetent and rude to friendly but easily browbeaten. Our dev team is completely incapable of putting out even slightly tested code atm so fully half of the support queue is known bugs that should never have gotten through our laughable testing process.

Thankfully my GM shares my feelings so I have someone to vent to but I find myself having to force myself not to just tell some of the people here how ridiculously stupid they are to their face.

And we have a major new software release that's being railroaded through for the end of the year so it's only going one direction

There's a reason I'm scouring Seek every day and upskilling.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Turns out she managed to set up her office account all by herself.

But there wasn't a shortcut to Publisher on her desktop because who the gently caress uses Publisher.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

larchesdanrew posted:

But there wasn't a shortcut to Publisher on her desktop because who the gently caress uses Publisher.

I don't write books so why would I need a Publisher?

The joke is no one even knows what publisher is

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

i can imagine an user not knowing how to make shortcuts or search for an application from the start menu.
But I have an IT colleague with 5+ years experience who complained when we upgraded the desktops, that all his shortcuts are gone and needed help from another colleague to make them on his desktop.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

My support team hit the stretch goal I set for them and my GM promised them whatever they wanted so we're all going to a day spa for massages/manicures/pedicures/high tea/etc.

Um maybe I should have participated or used my veto power when my all-female support team got to choose the team's prize.

Oh well, this should be a fun afternoon...

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

iajanus posted:

My support team hit the stretch goal I set for them and my GM promised them whatever they wanted so we're all going to a day spa for massages/manicures/pedicures/high tea/etc.

Um maybe I should have participated or used my veto power when my all-female support team got to choose the team's prize.

Enjoy your rub down and amazing nails!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

iajanus posted:

Just go with it. It's the kind of thing you'll probably never otherwise get to experience.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I used to have an apartment with two women so I got to experience getting a pedicure and I regularly get massages so it's not that bad :allears:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

iajanus posted:

loving rock it out. Nothing beats some man-pampering. And nothing wrong with letting your team choose their own reward - makes it better.
Pretty cool that your GM actually did that - not enough do. Sounds like a great work environment!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, that's not the kind of thing they would have wanted vetoed by the IT guy.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
It's especially beneficial:

Not only do you get to enjoy feeling pretty, whilst claiming it was imposed on you; you can make loud claims that you prefer to do rock-climbing and BASE-jumping and all kinds of manly, macho things without any danger of actually having to do them.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Siochain posted:

Pretty cool that your GM actually did that - not enough do. Sounds like a great work environment!

Lol compare and contrast with my posts this morning. The company is loving retarded and I'm actively seeking an out to anywhere I can find, but the Gm is incredible and massively wasted and hamstrung. She's super supportive and friendly but nearly every department is beyond terrible and toxic to each other. My team is unfortunately massively under qualified and shows little desire of improving, and this incentive was the first time I've managed to get them to actually solve things themselves rather than immediately plead ignorance. It's not really their fault - they weren't hired from technical backgrounds and aren't good at what is needed, but HR refuses to let me upskill or hire as needed so I'm left to deal with what I have. We have a good working relationship but there's limits to what I can get them to do.

And I would never veto their call, I'm just joking :). I love a good pampering.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

spog posted:

It's especially beneficial:

Not only do you get to enjoy feeling pretty, whilst claiming it was imposed on you; you can make loud claims that you prefer to do rock-climbing and BASE-jumping and all kinds of manly, macho things without any danger of actually having to do them.

Lol exactly. I'm claiming I would have taken my team paintballing but I'm being nice and letting them take me to the spa. Little do they know I'll be savouring the champagne and high tea whilst loving being massaged.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

iajanus posted:

Little do they know I'll be savouring the champagne and high tea whilst loving being massaged.

The absolute madman

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

iajanus posted:

I'm actually a bit jealous, hot stone massages are the bomb.

SEKCobra posted:

I remember once in University making a late night presentation in Publisher accidentally once, took me about 10 minutes to think why the gently caress does Powerpoint look different.

This is the extent of my use with Publisher.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Super Slash posted:

I'm actually a bit jealous, hot stone massages are the bomb.

I'm more a fan of the thai massages; I had a crazy number on our month-long honeymoon in Thailand (god bless Thailand being so close to and cheap compared to Australia) and they are ridiculously awesome. Stone massages are pretty good, too. I do feel pretty lucky that our company is going to spend a few grand giving the 6 of us a great day out.

In unrelated posting, does anyone have any hints for ways to "encourage" your staff to upskill? My support team have very little in the way of technical skills nor motivation and I don't have the power to fire or hire in our small company so i'm left trying to work out good motivational methods for them to help themselves. I'm not used to having any kind of power (no matter how tiny or insubstantial)...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If people don't have a desire to learn then they are broken and not suitable for this industry. Incentivising them is only a temporary fix.

I don't mean "don't reimburse relevant certs", but you shouldn't really have to force people to better themselves.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SEKCobra posted:

I think you can make paper airplanes in publisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

iajanus posted:

You don't ever turn down a professional massage.

Ever.

• Locked thread