Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

bloodysabbath posted:

The Xbox One would like a word.

The xbone is fine it's just that the PS4 is better.

Honestly, in my case I think that I'd only have use for the former due to the 4K BluRay capabilities. Maybe. When I get a 4K something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Windows holographic is basically UWP apps anyway. Otherwise you have to use something like unity and wrap it in something that will allow it to launch on the hololens. Its just a lot of jank for not a lot of benefit.

The biggest downside to the hololens right now is the FOV. Looks like they took this to heart and decided to back VR as well as that basically kills all the negatives of having some crazy AR solution that doesn't work 100% well in reality.

Also if these HMDs are using the same tech the holo-lens does, it might be a trip to barfsville as the current update rate/latency on the hololens is really bad for keeping up with positioning.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I gotta wonder what the chances are that those headsets get OpenVR support too. Seems like a no-brainer but I gotta wonder if licensing tracking tech from Microsoft comes with a few restrictions on implementation.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So I picked up a PSVR today. Is there currently any way to do 3D movies in it?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

So I picked up a PSVR today. Is there currently any way to do 3D movies in it?

Weirdly, no. It's capable but they haven't released anything that can do so.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

SwissCM posted:

Well, that's dumb. Do we know why they haven't? What's the odds of some third party like Plex patching something like that into a video player other than the official one?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

SwissCM posted:

How the gently caress does sony, sony the living room blu-ray box, sony the media company, sony the glasstron hmd company not have a way to view frickin' 3d movies in the god drat PSVR??

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

How the gently caress does sony, sony the living room blu-ray box, sony the media company, sony the glasstron hmd company not have a way to view frickin' 3d movies in the god drat PSVR??
Its crazy cause they did patch 360 video support into their media player, but not the ability to watch 3D movies in VR.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

That's closed platforms for you.

It shouldn't be long until someone throws together an OpenVR/OSVR driver for the PSVR so you can do whatever you want with it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

SwissCM posted:

It shouldn't be long until someone throws together an OpenVR/OSVR driver for the PSVR so you can do whatever you want with it.

Would this be a way to just plug it straight into my computer and have it work? Would I need the breakout box still, in this hypothetical situation? How would it do head tracking without the camera?

Sorry for all the questions, brand new to this.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

Would this be a way to just plug it straight into my computer and have it work? Would I need the breakout box still, in this hypothetical situation? How would it do head tracking without the camera?

Sorry for all the questions, brand new to this.

Unsure. As I understand it the PSVR HMD is pretty standard equipment, USB and HDMI. It should be a matter of getting the optics dialed in right and re-implementing the glyph tracking they're using. People have already gotten the move controllers working.

I doubt the breakout box will be necessary. The camera might be.

I think the hardest part to end users is probably the keyed USB plug they're using as you'd probably have to botch something together to get it to plug into a standard USB port. The signalling should be compatible though, so only a passive adaptor would be required.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 27, 2016

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

SwissCM posted:

Unsure. As I understand it the PSVR HMD is pretty standard equipment, USB and HDMI. It should be a matter of getting the optics dialed in right and re-implementing the glyph tracking they're using. People have already gotten the move controllers working.

I think the hardest part to end users is probably the keyed USB plug they're using as you'd probably have to botch something together to get it to plug into a standard USB port. The signalling should be compatible though, so only a passive adaptor would be required.

Any chance they'd be able to get it working with a non Sony camera?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

Any chance they'd be able to get it working with a non Sony camera?

I guess it would depend on the camera. The Sony one is stereoscopic which would make it considerably better at measuring distance.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Honestly if they could get just the looking to work I'd be fine with the depth not working. I kind of just wanna gently caress around with 3D and 360 video with it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Arguably it's the most important thing to nail, as any drift forwards and backwards can make you feel real queasy.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

SwissCM posted:

Arguably it's the most important thing to nail, as any drift forwards and backwards can make you feel real queasy.

Well I'd just want it disabled, honestly. Don't really need it in video.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Bremen posted:

Holopoint is pretty much the king of exercise games, though it doesn't really do music (there is music in game, but it's just the in-game stuff)
Holopoint is too intense for me :smith: I wish it was more like Space Pirate Trainer where it was more centered in an 180 degree arc in front of you. The full 360 of Holopoint always ends up with me unknowingly spinning in one direction too much and I eventually rip the cable out of the box

GlyphGryph posted:

What;s the best VR game for working up a sweat, preferable to a beat? Is it still audioshield, or is there something better?
I've heard good things about Soundboxing, it's based on players entering the beat to a youtube video, so it's guaranteed (more or less) to be more like dancing to the real beats instead of the computer guessing the beats from the raw audio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyjS5joZpGQ

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

Well I'd just want it disabled, honestly. Don't really need it in video.
You kinda do, well okay maybe I kinda do. I can't stand VR without positional tracking.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

SwissCM posted:

https://github.com/emoRaivis/MacMorpheus

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Man, it's too bad Microsoft poo poo the bed with their Hololens because now there's even less reason for Magic Leap to release.

Hell, just give me Google Glass2 so I can geek out, without having to access my phone or look at my wrist whenever I need something.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

SwissCM posted:

You kinda do, well okay maybe I kinda do. I can't stand VR without positional tracking.

Do any videos even do depth?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Audioshield is fun but also so bad, I mean it is missing like 90% of the basic conveniences I would expect from a rythm game, wow. You cant even queue up songs and most songs seem full of boring deadspace even when there is music playing. I would really love the notes to stop coming from so high up the in the air all the time, and for there to be a shield style that doesnt involve a weird garbage grip angle...

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 27, 2016

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha

GlyphGryph posted:

What;s the best VR game for working up a sweat, preferable to a beat? Is it still audioshield, or is there something better?

Soundboxing is perfect for this. I haven't played audioshield again since downloading SB.

You punch beats to a song, punch harder for more points. Beat maps are user generated, so typically see 300-1000 punches per song.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

Do any videos even do depth?

A lot of 180/360 videos have depth. Positional tracking won't work with any 180/360 videos though, since it always projects you at the center of the video sphere. If you watch something like a 3D blu ray (not sure if that's possible with the PSVR yet) on a virtual screen though, it gets a lot less sickening with positional tracking on.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tom Guycot posted:

This is the same company that decided that their 4K output capable, blu-ray equipped console refresh doesn't need to play 4K blu-rays. The latest evolution of the format they developed and pushed so hard that they paid off the competing format's main developer to give up.

Somehow they decided that wasn't worth supporting even though the competition had confirmed they would be supporting it.

I guess it's just not proprietary enough anymore, it's not the Sony way. (mostly joking but kinda not)

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Geez thats a bit of a mess.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Piling on the "microsoft makes great hardware" train; the sculpt keyboard is the best non-clicky keyboard I've ever used; I have one at the office and one at home, it's fantastic.

SwissCM posted:

Well that's impressive

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Any of you guys feel like gambling?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252600211773

They have 8 Touch's available.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Regarding those Touch's on Ebay, it seems that you need to have a developer account to get the drivers for them to function, so they would be useless anyway. Alas.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Poetic Justice posted:

Regarding those Touch's on Ebay, it seems that you need to have a developer account to get the drivers for them to function, so they would be useless anyway. Alas.

I'm pretty sure anyone can get a developer account. You had to do one if you wanted to purchase the DK2.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Poetic Justice posted:

Any of you guys feel like gambling?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252600211773

They have 8 Touch's available.

I think if they were real they'd have an actual picture of something. Usually an account gets hacked and someone posts something like this, withdraws the money from Paypal and runs.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Kid posted:

Soundboxing is perfect for this. I haven't played audioshield again since downloading SB.

You punch beats to a song, punch harder for more points. Beat maps are user generated, so typically see 300-1000 punches per song.

God drat I wish I'd seen this post before I wasted money on audioshield. Audioshield is garbage, soundboxing is amazing. Thank you so much!

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

quote:

Soundboxing is a VR music video kickboxing game where you create the beats!

quote:

kickboxing

quote:

kick

wat

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

w00tazn posted:

I'm pretty sure anyone can get a developer account. You had to do one if you wanted to purchase the DK2.

From what I've read Oculus has to flag your account on Home, it doesn't just carry over from the DK 2 days.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/28/13462260/oculus-zenimax-lawsuit-expert

quote:

Oculus VR representatives may have lied under oath and presented inaccurate expert reports as part of the company’s defense in a federal lawsuit filed by ZeniMax Media surrounding the creation of the Oculus Rift VR headset, according to court filings.

Thursday, a judge ordered a court-appointed computer forensic expert to detail to ZeniMax the findings, which led that expert to say that he discovered evidence on John Carmack's computer that shows that “statements and representations that have been sworn to and are before the court are factually inaccurate.” He also found information that proved “opinions expressed in expert reports that are before the court that are demonstrably inaccurate."

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Can you give this to me in political-meme form?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

KakerMix posted:

Uh...

Oculus lied... Zenimax.... got paid maybe?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Lock him up

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Has copyright gone too far???

Realtalk, Zenimax should bugger off imo. Carmack left before the facebook buyout, I'm pretty sure they could have made him a better offer than oculus at the time, if they wanted him to actually stay. Then when Oculus got facebook'd, they were suddenly angry af that he left :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Truga posted:

Has copyright gone too far???

Realtalk, Zenimax should bugger off imo. Carmack left before the facebook buyout, I'm pretty sure they could have made him a better offer than oculus at the time, if they wanted him to actually stay. Then when Oculus got facebook'd, they were suddenly angry af that he left :laffo:

On the other hand, gently caress Oculus for unrelated reasons, I hope Zenimax sues them into oblivion (heh).