Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Doom secrets tip: find the map of the level and the secrets are shown on it. The catch: the map itself is a secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

Doom secrets tip: find the map of the level and the secrets are shown on it. The catch: the map itself is a secret.

I figured this out on the third level, so I'm gonna go back to clear out the first two. :v:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Top Doom Secret:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Drunk Tomato posted:

Why not just run an HDMI from your computer to the TV?

Because the network cable is like a mile long and the HDMI cord only six feet. The computer is in the bedroom, but my couch and television are at my neighbor's house.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

credburn posted:

Because the network cable is like a mile long and the HDMI cord only six feet. The computer is in the bedroom, but my couch and television are at my neighbor's house.

By "house", do you mean "double-wide trailer"?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I bought Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII after asking about real time JRPGs in this thread, and asked for a refund after two hours.

I should have realised the battle system would be roughly the same, but it bothered me for the same reason the original FF13 did: It takes about 20 times longer to defeat an enemy than it ought to. If I run across a standard enemy and am only taking off 1% of health at a time, it feels crappy! Isn't Lightning supposed to be an all-powerful saviour of the world?!

I'm starting to realise that I only like JRPGs which don't require me to pay attention during battle.

Edit: I realise it's all based around the stagger mechanic, but then I was having to stagger an enemy three or four times per battle.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Centipeed posted:

I bought Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII after asking about real time JRPGs in this thread, and asked for a refund after two hours.

I should have realised the battle system would be roughly the same, but it bothered me for the same reason the original FF13 did: It takes about 20 times longer to defeat an enemy than it ought to. If I run across a standard enemy and am only taking off 1% of health at a time, it feels crappy! Isn't Lightning supposed to be an all-powerful saviour of the world?!

I'm starting to realise that I only like JRPGs which don't require me to pay attention during battle.

I am not even a huge fan of the Final Fantasy XIII games but if battles are taking you that long, you are seriously doing something wrong. Unfortunately to get through the battles extremely quickly, you need to be quick on your feet, think about what you're doing and switch roles accordingly. So your problem is that you want to mindlessly mash the X button but are then complaining that this method makes battles take too long.

Again I don't even like Final Fantasy XIII and its sequels that much but this issue is more entirely on you than the games.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Again I don't even like Final Fantasy XIII and its sequels that much but this issue is more entirely on you than the games.

I think you're absolutely right - plenty of people like the series, and for good reason.

It's just coming from Tales, the battles in FF13 and its sequels feel different in a way that bothers me. Each to their own, as you say.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
One toxx participant hasn't messaged me on Steam (I already had Palpek and The Joe Man friended, so you don't have to contact me). Please do so because I'd like to keep a list to keep track of everything.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/KotyDwa/

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!

Blattdorf posted:

One toxx participant hasn't messaged me on Steam (I already had Palpek and The Joe Man friended, so you don't have to contact me). Please do so because I'd like to keep a list to keep track of everything.

Uh, let me know if you never hear back from him :heysexy:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Final Fantasy XIII-2 is the really good one out of the series, it's like Chrono Trigger if Chrono Trigger made less sense.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Charles Get-Out posted:

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is the really good one out of the series, it's like Chrono Trigger if Chrono Trigger made less sense.

It's got the best chocobo music in the entire series. Totally makes for having to deal with Sarah as the MC.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Blattdorf posted:

Is that me? I added you but didn't message you at the time, just posted here.

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Blattdorf posted:

I also added you as a friend but didn't message you at the time. Just sent you a message now.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Has anyone contacted Trump about this toxx? If he loses and hears about it everyone involved will likely be sued and be accused of being crooked forum posters.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Brainamp posted:

It's got the best chocobo music in the entire series. Totally makes for having to deal with Sarah as the MC.

That was a good click.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Wildtortilla posted:

Has anyone contacted Trump about this toxx? If he loses and hears about it everyone involved will likely be sued and be accused of being crooked forum posters.
SA, a hive of bad hombres and nasty women.

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Wildtortilla posted:

This toxx is rigged by crooked lowtax! :argh:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Centipeed posted:

Edit: I realise it's all based around the stagger mechanic, but then I was having to stagger an enemy three or four times per battle.

how

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Maybe he's basing it off the graveyard enemies?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

If you only read the first sentence about not liking a Final Fantasy 13 game then it makes perfect sense.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I know they were never going to last particularly long but it's sad to see Homeworld Remastered and Deserts of Kharak's lobbies completely dead.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Centipeed posted:

I'll confess that I didn't get far past the (endless) tutorial in FF13 but isn't the whole battle system pretty much "use a commando/ravager mix to build stagger" -> "switch to all commandos to burn down health", occasionally mixing in buffs, debuffs, and heals? You could win most fights by pressing the switch button once or twice and watching it happen.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Eldred posted:

I'll confess that I didn't get far past the (endless) tutorial in FF13 but isn't the whole battle system pretty much "use a commando/ravager mix to build stagger" -> "switch to all commandos to burn down health", occasionally mixing in buffs, debuffs, and heals? You could win most fights by pressing the switch button once or twice and watching it happen.

lightning returns doesnt have any of those things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB6T0MsvAgs

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

corn in the bible posted:

lightning returns doesnt have any of those things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB6T0MsvAgs

Wait, that actually looks... fun?

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

it's like when you are reading a bad review of a restaurant on Yelp and the dawning realization that it's not the restaurant that's bad but the reviewer.

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack
I tried searching around but didn't see much chatter on it. Has anyone had a chance to try out Subsistence? It looks neat but being early access, I'm not sure what to think.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I Am Frick posted:

I tried searching around but didn't see much chatter on it. Has anyone had a chance to try out Subsistence? It looks neat but being early access, I'm not sure what to think.

fool me twelve thousand times.....

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I know they were never going to last particularly long but it's sad to see Homeworld Remastered and Deserts of Kharak's lobbies completely dead.

Yeah. Though even back when they were new it's not like the lobbies of the Homeworlds were bursting with thousands so really multiplayer was never going to be a thing.

Eldred posted:

Wait, that actually looks... fun?

I wouldn't say Lightning Return is great but it's probably the best game one is going to get from FF13. The battle system is pretty active and sometimes really fun, even for being built off of the original.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

fool me twelve thousand times.....

Yeah Early Access Open World Sandbox Survival is the ultimate tag team of gaming red flags.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

RBA Starblade posted:

I really, really liked Homeworld: DOK too. :smith:

Sad as it is to say, I kind of hope they relaunch it as a F2P game if only because it'll get people playing it, at least for a while.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Charles Get-Out posted:

Yeah Early Access Open World Sandbox Survival is the ultimate tag team of gaming red flags.

There are exactly two that anyone should care about, and either one would last you until the rest of the pack makes it to release or sputters and dies.

Case in point, Subnautica got another major content patch today and The Long Dark is experimenting with a Halloween event.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Too Shy Guy posted:

There are exactly two that anyone should care about, and either one would last you until the rest of the pack makes it to release or sputters and dies.

Case in point, Subnautica got another major content patch today and The Long Dark is experimenting with a Halloween event.

three, you forgot the forest

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I was so busy celebrating my birthday today that i almost forgot to do a review. But just almost!

PREVIOUSLY...

Day 1: 100% Orange Juice
Day 2: Akiba's Trip
Day 3: Recettear
Day 4: Agarest: Generations of War
Day 5: Dragonball Xenoverse
Day 6: Sakura Santa
Day 7: Manga Maker ComiPo!
Day 8: The Silver Case
Day 9: Senran Kagura

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Too Shy Guy posted:

I enjoy The Long Dark but I'd really like for them to finish the story mode. I feel like it's been in early access forever.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Weekend deals are up and they end on the 31st. So I guess if we're getting a Halloween sale it's going to start on Halloween?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Freak Futanari posted:

I was so busy celebrating my birthday today that i almost forgot to do a review. But just almost!

Hey, happy Birthday! May it be filled with cute anime.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

DrNutt posted:

I enjoy The Long Dark but I'd really like for them to finish the story mode. I feel like it's been in early access forever.

It's been in EA for just over two years now so yeah that's fair. I think it's only supposed to be a few more months for story mode? I kinda willingly forgot about it until the Halloween thing caught my attention.

Subnautica's two-year anniversary is in December and last I heard that's when they're planning the full release. I've been trying to hold off on playing until then but I just can't help myself.

Freak Futanari posted:

Happy birthday, ya Freak.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mordja posted:

I really, really liked Homeworld: DOK too. :smith:

Sad as it is to say, I kind of hope they relaunch it as a F2P game if only because it'll get people playing it, at least for a while.

Yeah, balance was completely hosed in DOK at launch, but it was still fun just sending your carrier off with some of those skimmers to harrass and raid. It felt really good, though I only did it online a handful of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

I like these but this one isn't really true. Steins;Gate is like Danganronpa in that it's totally for die hard anime fans. Both of these games have fat otakus as important side characters and both are really heavily focused on discussing otaku fandom and anime tropes. As in, nevermind the impending doom, let's go to a nyan-themed restaurant to take part in an anime contest and listen to two braindead girls meow like cats. Normies like me should really stick to 999, Hotel Dusk or Ace Attorney. The former is coming to Steam in the near future and unless Capcom hate money they should put at least the AA Trilogy on PC.

• Locked thread