Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mike Mignola's design work for an animated New Gods project which never happened.
http://shanepatrickwhite.tumblr.com/tagged/mike-mignola

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

A New Gods cartoon with Mignola is one of those things that's so good I wish I didn't know it ever had a possibility of happening. Like Junji Ito on Silent Hills.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'd have to disagree. It would be interesting, but just because two unique styles run parallel doesn't mean an intersection is better than each half going their own way. These concept art drawings are really cool and they seem stiff and not any more compelling than the original Kirby designs.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah that must suck a lot to only be as good as Kirby

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well I was being nice, but his Darkseid is lazy as poo poo, Mr. Miracle is a weird sausage-person, Metron is interesting but it's literally just putting antenna on Kirby's design, and Barda/The Female Furies are essentially unchanged. Is the idea of a holographic mask on Orion original to him? if so that's pretty cool.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I like Mignola but can I say that the way he draws boobs is loving hilarious

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Mike Mignola's design work for an animated New Gods project which never happened.

Does Darkseid have two exhaust pipes coming out of his back?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lobok posted:

Does Darkseid have two exhaust pipes coming out of his back?

That's a statue. Yes, it has exhaust pipes coming out of it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ah, a statue. Though I was pretty okay with Optimus Darkseid.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

Ah, a statue. Though I was pretty okay with Optimus Darkseid.

Nemesis Darkseid, surely?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Mignola is an interesting artist, and a fantastic writer, but maaan do I think he gets more clout than he deserves. He's very, I dunno, niche in his style, where for some things it works, and works amazing, and then for every thing else it's kinda crappy looking. Like, on that link, I liked his Parademons, his Kalibak, and that big color drawing of Fing Fang Foom, all of which I liked a lot, and then everything else looked kinda crummy and maybe a little generic and derivative. And that sort of critique applies to everything he does.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jill Thompson's new Wonder Woman OGN is a total knock out.

(Text edited out since it's one of the final pages.)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

A tasteful retelling of the origins of a strong, dignified female warrior, capped off with the bequeathing of the hallowed Star Spangled Panties.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

A tasteful retelling of the origins of a strong, dignified female warrior,

Interestingly, it's not. It's the story of her growing up selfish and entitled and only ends with a dedication to do good after the shame of causing destruction and death to her sisters.
I'm surprised there isn't much of a stink about that yet.

e: As for the panties, by then you've seen so many athletic undergarments and heard the deep meaning of star print fabric. I didn't blink :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 7, 2016

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

A tasteful retelling of the origins of a strong, dignified female warrior, capped off with the bequeathing of the hallowed Star Spangled Panties.

Life is too short for underwear that isn't fabulous.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lol

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Very sensible for the woman in the lower left to bring a couple of pillows to rest her arms on.

(Why I Hate Saturn is legitimately awesome though.)

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I had to look that comic up and man is the art weird.

Look at the traps on this guy. He's got a built in neck pillow.

Jelly legs

*sad music*

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's the one in the top right that really gets me. CGI comics are just terrible, and it takes a special kind of awful to think they work.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I had to see the interior art for Manifest, and uh, it is even worse than I thought it might be. Oof.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I went looking for this Manifest comic and was pleasantly sidetracked to a Weird West comic called Manifest Destiny, which has pretty baller art:

e: http://www.cbr.com/manifest-destiny-1/ art by Matthew Roberts of whom I have never heard a thing

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 28, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Manifest Destiny is definitely one of my favorite Image comics at the moment.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Selachian posted:

(Why I Hate Saturn is legitimately awesome though.)

Yeah I got no beef with Baker's early art (his poser monstrosities are bad tho), its just that I was too lazy to cut out.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah I got no beef with Baker's early art (his poser monstrosities are bad tho), its just that I was too lazy to cut out.

I thought the joke was Geof Darrow and Kyle Baker being grouped in with this other...art.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

I went looking for this Manifest comic and was pleasantly sidetracked to a Weird West comic called Manifest Destiny, which has pretty baller art:

e: http://www.cbr.com/manifest-destiny-1/ art by Matthew Roberts of whom I have never heard a thing

Manifest Destiny is loving awesome and everyone should read it.

Lewis and Clark lead an expedition through the uncharted New World and find fantastic creatures and horrors.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i am a prophet

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Looking it up I'm curious as to how they'll handle Sacajawea. I'm guessing Princess-Forest Ranger of sorts.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's the one in the top right that really gets me. CGI comics are just terrible, and it takes a special kind of awful to think they work.

Looking at it, you're right. Mike Saenz was doing better CGI comics 30 years ago.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

All I can imagine is that she looked down at one point, and the sheer gravitational pull of her rack pulled her face clean off

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

mind the walrus posted:

Looking it up I'm curious as to how they'll handle Sacajawea. I'm guessing Princess-Forest Ranger of sorts.

So far, she's pretty much just making GBS threads on everyone involved with the expedition and doing her own thing in spite of their wishes.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

plainswalker75 posted:

So far, she's pretty much just making GBS threads on everyone involved with the expedition and doing her own thing in spite of their wishes.

Yeah she's basically some forest ninja who deeply loathes everyone she meets except the french guy whose name I forget.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Good. It's the obvious pass but I was worried there would be some dumb "Indian Earth Mother Magic" poo poo thrown in there.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Good. It's the obvious pass but I was worried there would be some dumb "Indian Earth Mother Magic" poo poo thrown in there.

She's basically upset that these loving idiots will not recognize Evil Magic for what it is and they keep loving walking into it.

It's seriously an awesome book and well worth the read.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As long as she doesn't pull some "our people are one with nature and listen to the trees" horseshit before healing Lewis' chest wound or something I'm all for it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Couple of Frank doozies from the last DK3.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

What in the gently caress? Everything looks like some form of awful gorilla.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
In a phone this looks like a tiger-striped blob.

Edit: I take that back; it looks more like a poorly defined tiger than a person. I assume that massive growth on his right hand is supposed to be a thumb.

david_a fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 4, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wonder Woman looks like she has a 5 o' clock shadow

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Fish Of Doom posted:

What in the gently caress? Everything looks like some form of awful gorilla.

Oh, poo poo! They're bringing back gorilla covers!

When was the last legit gorilla cover anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

Wonder Woman looks like she has a 5 o' clock shadow

edit: nevermind