Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

My favorite part is that 36 (or 39 I can't remember) percent of Jill Stein voters say that Trump is their second choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

My favorite part is that 36 (or 39 I can't remember) percent of Jill Stein voters say that Trump is their second choice.

That supports what someone on the radio was saying this morning; most of those Johnson, Stein, and Other votes will break for Trump, and his lead could end up being more like 7 or 8, not 2 or 3.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

blue squares posted:

That supports what someone on the radio was saying this morning; most of those Johnson, Stein, and Other votes will break for Trump, and his lead could end up being more like 7 or 8, not 2 or 3.

Which tells you just about everything you need to know re third parties.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/capmetroatx/status/791671199130464256

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

It's a poll of 1,200 people and 2% are voting for Stein, so I wouldn't draw any conclusions from the second choices of 24 people.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
+2 for the Iron Abuela yesterday in Austin. We tried the Randalls at Mopac and Billy Boom Boom (William Cannon). Some guy was at the end of the line with a tablet saying he didn't work there, but was taking pictures of the backs of licenses and made the line form along the far wall into the refrigerated section. We thought we just heard that guy wrong but it is nagging me. We left rather than stand there and voted in Bee Cave. The Randalls line was huge so it probably came out even.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012
Twenty minute wait at this polling station on UT Austin campus. Thanks for actually turning out for the general, college students!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm going to subconsciously horrify every Republican in my town by making a point of early voting at a black-folks-oriented-ish church. :v:

(For the other six dozen BCS goons in this thread: Galilee Baptist, a couple blocks west of Fargo's Barbecue, ie the best brisket in town and a very reasonable contender for top ten in the state.)

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Just what Austin needs, another bar.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Winter Stormer posted:

Twenty minute wait at this polling station on UT Austin campus. Thanks for actually turning out for the general, college students!

15 minutes here for the shriners off of burnet.

+1 to the Iron Abuela. Trumpo delende est.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

If I did the math right, 10% of registered voters in Bexar county voted in the first three days. That's a pretty good turnout.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

duz posted:

If I did the math right, 10% of registered voters in Bexar county voted in the first three days. That's a pretty good turnout.

:woop:
At this rate by the end of the day more people will have voted early than voted in the 2015 mayoral election

(:smith: I voted in the mayoral election)

Padams
Jun 30, 2000

I Have the Power

to turn your property's lights off

citybeatnik posted:

15 minutes here for the shriners off of burnet.

+1 to the Iron Abuela. Trumpo delende est.

15 minutes? Wow. I live in SW Houston and it took 2 and a half hours to vote on Monday. Probably took the river oaks people 2 minutes.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Aliquid posted:

Is Ken Mercer of the SBOE related to Robert Mercer?

Dealey Plaza.

Alternatively, Lee Harvey's south of I-30.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Padams posted:

15 minutes? Wow. I live in SW Houston and it took 2 and a half hours to vote on Monday. Probably took the river oaks people 2 minutes.

Yeah, north-west Austin, in one of the ben-hur shriner halls. I went after lunch (around 1.45) and they had, like, thirty god drat machines set up and three different lines.

poo poo-loads of old white people.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The most vulnerable of the Texas US Rep races for Republicans look to be (in descending order) 14, 27, 25, 6, and 32, though even 14 was something like R+11 in 2012.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

citybeatnik posted:

Yeah, north-west Austin, in one of the ben-hur shriner halls. I went after lunch (around 1.45) and they had, like, thirty god drat machines set up and three different lines.

poo poo-loads of old white people.
Sounds like my old neighborhood off Burnet. It's actually a pretty liberal area, and went 64% for Obama in 2012, four points above the county average.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Oh wow, pathetic... business... guy? is way more depressing than pathetic hipster

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Wikkheiser posted:

Sounds like my old neighborhood off Burnet. It's actually a pretty liberal area, and went 64% for Obama in 2012, four points above the county average.

Yeah. Allandale went to Obama by 30 points.

Old white Austinites are solid democrats as long as you don't ask them to make any sacrifices like possibly not being able to park directly in from of their house.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Shifty Pony posted:

Yeah. Allandale went to Obama by 30 points.

Old white Austinites are solid democrats as long as you don't ask them to make any sacrifices like possibly not being able to park directly in from of their house.

the MY PROPERTY VALUES crowd

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

+2 for the Iron Abuela yesterday in Austin. We tried the Randalls at Mopac and Billy Boom Boom (William Cannon). Some guy was at the end of the line with a tablet saying he didn't work there, but was taking pictures of the backs of licenses and made the line form along the far wall into the refrigerated section.

What the gently caress (bolded quote)? Isn't this illegal?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Well then, APD chief police Hubert Acevedo got recorded ripping his underlings a new one.

quote:

If you can’t handle a kid in broad daylight, naked, and your first instinct is to come out with your gun, and your next instinct is to shoot the kid dead, you don’t need to be a cop. I don’t give a poo poo how nice you are.

quote:

Nobody wearing stripes, or bars or stars should even think about justifying a woman — that the reason that woman got pulled out of that car is because she had the audacity to tell him to hurry up. You know what? Millennials ask questions, so get over it. If you are going to order somebody to do something, you better have a drat good reason if you are going to take them to jail.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
+1 for Abuela, Lupe Valdez, and other Dallas County troublemakers in Farmers Branch. There were three people manning the desk, and all 3 were helping people when I got there just before closing, so technically I was in line for a few minutes? In that I was the line.

CFB ISD has some kind of bond issue on the ballot, but my house is in a weird spit of DISD extending north of 635. So I guess that tax wouldn't effect me?

Seriously, if you look at the voting precinct map, it looks like spit. Or some other bodily fluid.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

duz posted:

Well then, APD chief police Hubert Acevedo got recorded ripping his underlings a new one.

Considering they hired him specifically to address apd's issue with minorities, this is not surprising

Goathead
Mar 28, 2003

Yeah, I saw a guys head spin. Like right off his neck. Why? Because I punched him. Top that!
http://harrisvotes.com/EarlyVoting/EVPA.aspx?L=E

Harris County numbers still rising. On track for close to a million before it's over but I'm sure this weekend will slow down.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

EwokEntourage posted:

Considering they hired him specifically to address apd's issue with minorities, this is not surprising

How he has not been lured away to a bigger city for a larger paycheck is a mystery to me.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

blue squares posted:

I'm guessing a lot of Texans aren't so much for backing Trump, but REALLY despise Clinton.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Just voted this morning before heading to work, along with my dad. Straight ticket D in Travis county, with our votes on Prop 1 cancelling each other out. He feels the bond sets a bad precedent of not paying for infrastructure out of the normal budget. I reluctantly voted for it because something is better than nothing and I suspect the city would use it failing to justify not doing anything. Mom already voted straight ticket D a few days ago, and my brother's going to vote the same later today.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
While I would love to see Texas swing blue, and am excited by the record-breaking voter turnout, the straight ticket D votes make me a little sad. There are actually some great moderate Republican judges up against inexperienced, or just bad, Dem opposition and I hope they don't end up getting ousted.

Edit for those interested:

Supreme court: Deborah Lehrmann and Eva Guzman

Court of Criminal Appeals: Mary Lou Keel and Mike Keasler

All solid, smart judges.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

A lovely Reporter posted:

Just voted this morning before heading to work, along with my dad. Straight ticket D in Travis county, with our votes on Prop 1 cancelling each other out. He feels the bond sets a bad precedent of not paying for infrastructure out of the normal budget. I reluctantly voted for it because something is better than nothing and I suspect the city would use it failing to justify not doing anything. Mom already voted straight ticket D a few days ago, and my brother's going to vote the same later today.

I'm pretty sure budget best practice is actually not to pay for infrastructure out of the current budget. If you pay for a road that lasts 20 years all in the current year, people over the next 19 years (including people who move here after the road is built and paid for) get it for free.

If you pay for it with a 20 year bond, the cost is spread out so that everyone who benefits has to pay. Tell your dad to read a public finance textbook, jeez!

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I've been too exhausted and disillusioned by this election to bother researching individual candidates so I open palm slammed that straight ticket D button and left.

I don't think we're in any serious danger of the sane GOP judges being ousted in Texas.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Bonds are cool and good and a great way to pay for things.

I actually hate straight ticket voting. To me, it feels like you're not owning your vote. It makes it too easy for low information partisans to just keep one party in power without any introspection. I'd be happy if it didn't exist in any state.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Voting at the Metropolitan Multi-Service Service right now in Harris County and while the line is long, they say they are getting a new voter on a machine every 11 seconds and the line is moving pretty drat fast. The workers were bragging that they were the fastest polling location in the county.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Bonds are cool and good and a great way to pay for things.

I actually hate straight ticket voting. To me, it feels like you're not owning your vote. It makes it too easy for low information partisans to just keep one party in power without any introspection. I'd be happy if it didn't exist in any state.

Good news for me then, there's a lot of races on my ballot that are R vs Libertarian, so I can't just go straight D.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Doom Rooster posted:

There are actually some great moderate Republican judges up against inexperienced, or just bad, Dem opposition and I hope they don't end up getting ousted.

Don't worry, they won't.

this did make me feel a little worse about using straight-ticket D plus reasonable nonpartisan as a protest vote this year though :shobon:

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Dameius posted:

Voting at the Metropolitan Multi-Service Service right now in Harris County and while the line is long, they say they are getting a new voter on a machine every 11 seconds and the line is moving pretty drat fast. The workers were bragging that they were the fastest polling location in the county.

Oh I voted there too. It was speedy.

I didn't vote straight D. I also voted for some crazy lawyer for an appeals judge position.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Here's my races:

President
Railroad Commissioner
Texas Supreme court places 3, 5, 9
Texas Court of Criminal Appeals places 2, 5, 6
State Board of Education district 14
2nd Court of Appeals district places 3 and 4
US Rep district 26
State Senator district 12
Denton County Commissioner Precinct 3
Denton County Constable Precinct 3
Denton County Sheriff
Denton County Tax Assessor-Collector
Texas District Court Judge district 442
Texas House district 63

Any good voting guides out there that lays out their positions? League of Women Voters just has basic information.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Mandingo posted:

Railroad Commissioner

Wayne Christian is so legitimately terrifying that the libertarian put out radio ads on Limbaugh pitting him as the moderate. Christian is easily the worst candidate on the statewide slate. He's also running a lovely campaign so his radio ads aren't even uploaded to youtube. I voted for the Democrat in this race but at least this dude isn't insane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGgEqyOsYLE

It was also important for me to oust the SBOE's Tom Maynard, noted massive piece of poo poo

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 28, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Just attempted to vote at the Fiesta, but the line was wrapping around the building. Looked like at least an hour wait Friday mid-afternoon to vote at the Fiesta, which says something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

In line to vote at the library in Clear Lake. Line was halfway to the back of the building behind the library when I got here and it's just about all the way back there now. (+2 for Abuela here with me and my husband. My mom told me last night she's voting for McMullins if possible, so... eh.)