Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

You're right it wasn't implied. It was explicit:

You are still wrong. It is not a "biotruth."

Holy poo poo do you actually think I used "biotruths" earnestly? Cmon dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Holy poo poo do you actually think I used "biotruths" earnestly? Cmon dude

I mean you are a loving idiot.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
'Women tend to be more authoritarian than men because of our sexist culture' isn't a biotruth. They didn't say it was a biotruth, they were sarcastically saying 'biotruths indeed' because they were accused of saying a biotruth.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

A Winner is Jew posted:

I mean you are a loving idiot.

Hey buddy, who hurt you? Why are you always melting down and throwing insults?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

• hahahah they will serve out their insanely long sentences and then have a felony on their record. Ex Post Facto only goes one way, and they're poor and black so that's how that's gonna go
  • We already have field sobriety tests and DUI. Also, no one has ever gotten in a car accident on weed because you can't cause a wreck when you're going 8mph
  • Youths already abuse tobacco and alcohol, which both have much more dangerous long-term effects. How have we controlled those drugs?
  • The amount of marijuana smoked in a typical stoner's day is insignificant next to how many cigarettes smokers, er, smoke.

Field sobriety tests aren't scientific and weren't designed with weed in mind. And handing out DUIs after the fact doesn't solve the problem. Severity of punishment is not a deterrence, your estimation of the likelihood of getting caught is. And as much as comedians love that "8 miles an hour" gag the early show at the Chuckle Hut is not a domestic policy think tank.

Yoots do abuse tobacco and alcohol, but at least for tobacco it's at vastly diminishing rates, exactly the opposite of what has been observed in CO after weed legalization. I don't know about underage alcohol consumption other than our late legal drinking age seems to factor into college binge drinking culture. In either case it seems like you're saying we haven't fixed those problems so why try with weed, which yikes.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

lovely single issue concern trolls killed my parents.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Well at least we can rest easy knowing that the libertarian party will be overwhelmingly male of a certain type from now until forever and will never succeed at a national level

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

He typed with righteousness, sure that this would win the day. :smug:

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

A Winner is Jew posted:

lovely single issue concern trolls killed my parents.

So you became the thread Batman. Gotcha.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone please get Donald Trump to say or do something stupid so that this thread can Be Great Again.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Well at least we can rest easy knowing that the libertarian party will be overwhelmingly male of a certain type from now until forever and will never succeed at a national level

That was never in question really. :v:

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Field sobriety tests aren't scientific and weren't designed with weed in mind. And handing out DUIs after the fact doesn't solve the problem. Severity of punishment is not a deterrence, your estimation of the likelihood of getting caught is. And as much as comedians love that "8 miles an hour" gag the early show at the Chuckle Hut is not a domestic policy think tank.

Yoots do abuse tobacco and alcohol, but at least for tobacco it's at vastly diminishing rates, exactly the opposite of what has been observed in CO after weed legalization. I don't know about underage alcohol consumption other than our late legal drinking age seems to factor into college binge drinking culture. In either case it seems like you're saying we haven't fixed those problems so why try with weed, which yikes.

Because if we keep poo poo the way it is, poor black kids are gonna get their lives ruined by something which won't get a white kid in trouble.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

withak posted:

Someone please get Donald Trump to say or do something stupid so that this thread can Be Great Again.

He's doing it constantly, every time he speaks. Everyone's just kinda inured to it now.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Oh my God shut up, you dorks.

Early voting expanded in swing state NC today, and my county now has 5 or 6 early voting sites instead of just one. How is that coming along?

https://twitter.com/RowanPolitics/status/791646627949842432

https://twitter.com/RowanPolitics/status/791647198404640769

https://twitter.com/RowanPolitics/status/791647700634697728

https://twitter.com/RowanPolitics/status/791663950769291264

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

EugeneJ posted:

Why the gender gap on weed?
I can't say for sure, not being a big marijuana history buff, but pot has a pretty complicated history in the U.S. with regard to things like race and culture. A lot of the fight over pot isn't over the realities of the substance, but its cultural associations. Most people still base their pot views on those associations. Given that most marijuana cultural icons are men, I would assume it has something to do with pot's place in American culture. But I couldn't point to what, specifically.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

withak posted:

Today is One Liner Low Effort Troll day so...

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

EugeneJ posted:

I just found this - interesting

http://www.pollingreport.com/drugs.htm

Why the gender gap on weed?

Other people have pointed out men tend to smoke more/be more likely to smoke making it more of a relevant issue. There's probably some overlap with prohibition as well. Banning alcohol was a woman's issue because they had to directly deal with the fallout of any abuse more than men; your partner spends all the money on booze, is almost never around because he's out drinking, and when he is around still doesn't help with the kids/house because he's drunk.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

withak posted:

"With less than two weeks until the 2016 presidential election, CNN's Dana Bash asked Donald Trump about where, and how, he's spending his final days as a candidate. "I think it's a very rude question, to be honest with you," said Trump, taking offense to Bash asking why the candidate was at a hotel ribbon-cutting in Washington, rather than campaigning in key battleground locales like Ohio, Pennsylvania or Florida."

Tangentially related, this cat is a bad hombre.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Night10194 posted:

He's doing it constantly, every time he speaks. Everyone's just kinda inured to it now.

You get used to it, though. Your brain does the translating. I don't even hear the Donald. All I hear is blonde, brunette, redhead.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lightning Knight posted:

So I'm not gonna claim to be an expert but I'd imagine that broadly speaking these are some ideas we're working with:

Potential release of drug-related offenders would be a nightmare. If I recall correctly, precedent dictates that you stay in jail if what you did wasn't legal then even if it is now. Which obviously blows. If we could get them out it would turn into a shitshow of trying to vet criminals to see who only committed non-violent offenses and attempting to expunge their records. A lot of poor people and minorities would still be hosed over and it would be a long, slow fight uphill.

I dunno how we deal with inaccuracies re: drug testing after driving, but right now part of the problem is that weed culture is lovely because of its illegal nature. If it was legal and socially acceptable weed users could develop a more responsible drug culture. It would probably be difficult in the same way drinking is, however.

Youth consumption is absolutely going to come down to education. Just like with sex ed, telling them just to not do it doesn't work. We have to make it clear what it is and what they're getting into and hope that they self-moderate and learn. Part of why underage drinking is such a problem imo is that we put off learning to drink responsibly until our dumbass kids are in college instead of making them learn at 16-18 when they're safe at home.

I personally feel that second-hand smoke laws should apply equally to all smoked substances in public. Maybe that's just me. You have the right to put things in your body but not in mine by proximity. Do that poo poo at home.

Yeah I agree about second-hand smoke laws, I can just see it getting hairy with medical licenses.

The problem with youth consumption specifically to pot is that it can have much more lasting effects than tobacco or alcohol. Sure, if you binge drink you can die of alcohol poisoning, and if you smoke regularly you can increase your chances of getting cancer, but there isn't that age-specific danger zone that weed has where even what feels like normal recreational use levels can mess up how your brain develops. It seems like a case where the usual best approach of "let kids experiment and make their mistakes within safe boundaries" wouldn't be good enough. Teenagers can't process the concept of "if you do this thing now you will regret it later" because that part of their brain literally hasn't grown in yet, and smoking too much pot when they're young seems to mean it may never grow in right at all.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Early voting expanded in swing state NC today, and my county now has 5 or 6 early voting sites instead of just one. How is that coming along?

https://twitter.com/RowanPolitics/status/791646627949842432

https://twitter.com/RowanPolitics/status/791647198404640769

https://twitter.com/RowanPolitics/status/791647700634697728

https://twitter.com/RowanPolitics/status/791663950769291264

I am so glad California has mail in ballots.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Rowan county went 62% Romney is 2012. So... voting is down in R counties and up in D counties? woo hoo

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Yeah I agree about second-hand smoke laws, I can just see it getting hairy with medical licenses.

The problem with youth consumption specifically to pot is that it can have much more lasting effects than tobacco or alcohol. Sure, if you binge drink you can die of alcohol poisoning, and if you smoke regularly you can increase your chances of getting cancer, but there isn't that age-specific danger zone that weed has where even what feels like normal recreational use levels can mess up how your brain develops. It seems like a case where the usual best approach of "let kids experiment and make their mistakes within safe boundaries" wouldn't be good enough. Teenagers can't process the concept of "if you do this thing now you will regret it later" because that part of their brain literally hasn't grown in yet, and smoking too much pot when they're young seems to mean it may never grow in right at all.

If only they could move cannabis to schedule 2 so we could research all these concerns in detail.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

I can't say for sure, not being a big marijuana history buff, but pot has a pretty complicated history in the U.S. with regard to things like race and culture. A lot of the fight over pot isn't over the realities of the substance, but its cultural associations. Most people still base their pot views on those associations. Given that most marijuana cultural icons are men, I would assume it has something to do with pot's place in American culture. But I couldn't point to what, specifically.

Women just don't have as much time to waste. There's a gender gap in tons of recreational activities that pretty much comes down to this. Even a seemingly equitable domestic arrangement between a man and a woman usually has the woman doing the majority of the housework, household management (booking appointments, scheduling repairs, etc.), and emotional labor (dropping what they're doing to soothe another household member having a bad day, building and maintaining necessary relationships with neighbors, extended family, friends). And most households don't even try to seem equitable. :(

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You get used to it, though. Your brain does the translating. I don't even hear the Donald. All I hear is blonde, brunette, redhead.

I honestly can't listen to him speak directly. Something in his voice and cadence just makes me incredibly angry.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Holy poo poo. Kids smoking and getting brain damage is still better than kids smoking, getting brain damage, and then getting sent to jail.

Stop worrying about the children, please.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I'm totally ok with people with legitimate medical problems smoking as needed in public. I'd prefer if they had, like, an inhaler, but if that's what they gotta do, then that's what they gotta do.

Doesn't alcohol do really bad things to young people's brains?

I personally think it doesn't have to be "go experiment and figure it out." American parents labor under the assumption that "good kids don't do drugs or have sex." Obviously with variations across race and class but that is the strong cultural message we push. Then parents, who brilliantly told their children "just don't," act shocked when their kids do and do so stupidly. Parents and schools need to actively educate children that these are things you do that affect you at the biochemical level and can have permanent effects. They do so if you overuse them and you need to balance the risk of damage with the reward of substance use. If you use responsibly you'll be ok. If you don't want to use then don't. Comprehensive substance abuse and use classes should be just as vital as sex education because imo, broadly speaking they're fairly similar in terms of goals and outcomes. Keep kids safe doing things that they enjoy but aren't strictly speaking always good for them.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Rowan county went 62% Romney is 2012. So... voting is down in R counties and up in D counties? woo hoo
It looks like his margin was smaller in terms of votes not cast on election day, and bigger with mail-ins (https://results.enr.clarityelections.com/NC/Rowan/43003/114006/Web01/en/summary.html), but yeah, it's encouraging.

Edit: If you click on the icons above the vote tallies, it'll give you a breakdown by type.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 27, 2016

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The biggest contribution there is not legal vs. illegal, because it's already a very popular drug, but on public perception of its harms. Education about responsible use gets kinda drowned out in the legality fight, in part because it's impossible to have an honest discussion about that with an illegal substance, and in part because weeders don't want to spend a lot of time caught up in talking about new public health negatives when the whole point is that it's a net positive.

The problem with youth consumption specifically to pot is that it can have much more lasting effects than tobacco or alcohol.

I'm certain you don't have data to back up this comparison.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Women just don't have as much time to waste. There's a gender gap in tons of recreational activities that pretty much comes down to this. Even a seemingly equitable domestic arrangement between a man and a woman usually has the woman doing the majority of the housework, household management (booking appointments, scheduling repairs, etc.), and emotional labor (dropping what they're doing to soothe another household member having a bad day, building and maintaining necessary relationships with neighbors, extended family, friends). And most households don't even try to seem equitable. :(

*lights up a huge blunt*
just suppressing women, nothing to see here :cool:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

The biggest contribution there is not legal vs. illegal, because it's already a very popular drug, but on public perception of its harms. Education about responsible use gets kinda drowned out in the legality fight, in part because it's impossible to have an honest discussion about that with an illegal substance, and in part because weeders don't want to spend a lot of time caught up in talking about new public health negatives when the whole point is that it's a net positive.

I literally linked the APA on this subject a few posts ago, boyo.

I've been bending over backwards to make it clear that I'm not anti-weed, so nobody needs to get defensive about this. I want to solve these problems and have a smooth implementation of national legalization. Right now I think the trickiest thing is that we don't have good ways to consistently measure dosage. You can compare alcohol "units" in mixed drinks or beers, you can count cigarettes, but how much high-getting-ness is in a particular variety of weed, how the method of ingestion affects that, and how long the effects last aren't well enough understood for us to use our existing framework for tracking consumption of legal drugs.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 27, 2016

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

I'm sorry you've had such partners in life. Weed should be legal.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

There is loving shitloads of data on this

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

i always wonder about this b/c the numbers are just so insane w/ the guy shown to be handling something like 15% of the work when they perceive it to be "equitable"

don't get me wrong i totally believe it, particularly when they examine disparity for who accomplishes the household tasks that have longer/higher time costs - but it's also a thing that it's more socially acceptable and expected that the guy puts in longer working hours so it sometimes seems like describing a chicken/egg effect to me

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:
If you haven't already, light your torches and sharpen your pitchforks. (Springfield OH)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17rSCcx6Ok4
#MAGA :banjo:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i always wonder about this b/c the numbers are just so insane w/ the guy shown to be handling something like 15% of the work when they perceive it to be "equitable"

don't get me wrong i totally believe it, particularly when they examine disparity for who accomplishes the household tasks that have longer/higher time costs - but it's also a thing that it's more socially acceptable and expected that the guy puts in longer working hours so it sometimes seems like describing a chicken/egg effect to me

I mean even the term "working hours" is :can: in itself

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Complaint Compilation posted:

If you haven't already, light your torches and sharpen your pitchforks. (Springfield OH)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17rSCcx6Ok4
#MAGA :banjo:

Oh, I'm lighting up alright :weed:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's pretty funny to see people claim high drinking age is why college kids binge drink in the US. Over in the UK the unrestricted drinking age (as in, when you don't need to have parents present or whatever) is 18 and those guys still binge drink up a storm.

Though for that matter, there's a lot of ways for underage people to drink in the US among various states even though they can't just waltz up to the liquor store and buy a shopping cart full of beer legally. For instance, it's legal for under 21s to drink on private property without their own parents' permission in Louisiana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, Oklahoma, South Carolina. With parental permission/supervision, it's legal in Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Texas, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

And in Connecticut, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nevada, Ohio, Texas, Wisconsin, Wyoming? Underage people can drink at bars, restaurants that serve alcohol, and other such establishments, so long as a parent or guardian is present

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

the libertarian party, in it's entire history of existence has only ever managed to gain 5,122,230 votes and exactly 1 electoral vote from a faithless elector in presidential races.

that's about the same level as minnesota or colorado's population if you count every single libertarian vote in the party's history as a separate person. if you go by 2012 ballots only, the entire libertarian electorate would be somewhere between maine and rhode island in population.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

It's pretty funny to see people claim high drinking age is why college kids binge drink in the US. Over in the UK the unrestricted drinking age (as in, when you don't need to have parents present or whatever) is 18 and those guys still binge drink up a storm.

UK/IRE also has a high drinking age in comparison to most of Europe. France is probably the model for responsible drinking, but there's a lot more cultural factors than drinking age

• Locked thread