Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

I still have a clown running for office here that is equating weed to terrorism. gently caress off, Paul Chabot, you loving GWB wannabe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I mean, a lot of people equate drug use with crime, which is really a covert way to vent class and racial anxieties most of the time.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Prop 64 would be good if it didn't add a shitton of new crimes with mandatory minimum sentences along with recreational marijuana.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

So I've been hearing a lot about Prop 61 but haven't had time to really delve into it until now, as I go through my ballot. People arguing against it are saying drug companies will simply raise the cost of veteran's drugs so they can continue to charge what they charge ordinary people and gently caress everyone over in the process, but I thought the VA was funded federally and couldn't be tampered with?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Prop 64 would be good if it didn't add a shitton of new crimes with mandatory minimum sentences along with recreational marijuana.

Like what? I just breezed through the text and didn't see any new crimes with mandatory minimum sentences. Maybe a few that had mandatory 10 days of drug education.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

More on this please?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Like what? I just breezed through the text and didn't see any new crimes with mandatory minimum sentences. Maybe a few that had mandatory 10 days of drug education.

Same. I haven't seen anything like that.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

So I've been hearing a lot about Prop 61 but haven't had time to really delve into it until now, as I go through my ballot. People arguing against it are saying drug companies will simply raise the cost of veteran's drugs so they can continue to charge what they charge ordinary people and gently caress everyone over in the process, but I thought the VA was funded federally and couldn't be tampered with?

I don't think either side of prop 61 has a good idea as to how it will play out if it is enacted, so your decision will probably come down to how you think drug companies will react to such a measure. I know nothing about the legality of raising VA prices, but the voter guide lists it as a possible outcome in the ANALYSIS BY THE LEGISLATIVE ANALYST section.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Federal agencies still negotiate prices with the drug companies.

It's complicated. Nobody actually knows what will happen with 61. My personal sense is that given California is about a fifth of the population of the country, I doubt many drug companies will be willing to entirely pull specific drugs from patients on affected assistance plans just to avoid lowering prices to match what they're already selling to the huge VA system. On the other hand, drugs are weird. There's probably some niche drugs that are more frequently prescribed to non-VA patients than to VA patients - like I dunno, drugs specifically for kids? In a few cases it might benefit a drug co to just renegotiate the price higher, or pull it from the VA (so if the VA isn't buying it at all, prop 61 doesn't apply), or who the gently caress knows.

I've been really torn on 61. On the one hand, we desperately need to lower drug prices, especially for economically disadvantaged patients, and 61's intent is plainly to do that. On the other hand, I think I have to vote No, because it's essentially an untested experiment in drug pricing, it's overly complicated, and as a result I think a really poorly conceived piece of legislation. If 61 fails, I don't want that to "send a message" that Californians don't want lower drug costs for people on MediCal or whatever, and it's probably going to be spun that way... but I also don't think it's wise to try this kind of experiment out when people's lives are potentially at stake. I think it behooves us as citizens to support well-written laws and fight badly-written laws, irrespective of the outcomes that we want or hope for.

But I keep coming back to the general "well gently caress drug companies anyway" thought, and I know that they've been fighting 61 hard, and their propaganda is definitely "this could gently caress the VA, or drugs could just be withdrawn, etc." so I'm worried that possibly I'm just letting that message get to me? Like I don't actually know - even with skimming the actual text of the law - whether those outcomes are likely, or just horseshit.

It's sort of dumb to agonize over a specific vote for a specific proposition that will end up being decided by tens of thousands of votes at least, but :shrug: I hate the thought that I voted wrong and really try not to do that.

Maybe I should just skip 61. Fewer votes in total for a bill might suggest that it was too complicated for voters to figure out? Ehh, probably indistinguishable from voter apathy?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's a win-win either way. Either the drug prices get lowered for everybody (yay!) or the drug companies get further vilified because they hate ARE TROOPS and pushes "gently caress drug companies" closer to the center. Plus, further eroding the benefits given to exploited people fighting imperialist wars helps push the very visible veterans voting block left. For example, I've noticed a very sharp leftward migration in many of my formerly enlisted friends starting at around 2008 when they realized that maybe Republicans don't have their best interests at heart. They've transitioned from "cultural Republicans" voting straight ticket R because that is the American Team to conservative Democrats. I'll take it.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

It's a win-win either way. Either the drug prices get lowered for everybody (yay!) or the drug companies get further vilified because they hate ARE TROOPS and pushes "gently caress drug companies" closer to the center. Plus, further eroding the benefits given to exploited people fighting imperialist wars helps push the very visible veterans voting block left. For example, I've noticed a very sharp leftward migration in many of my formerly enlisted friends starting at around 2008 when they realized that maybe Republicans don't have their best interests at heart. They've transitioned from "cultural Republicans" voting straight ticket R because that is the American Team to conservative Democrats. I'll take it.

This is what I think. If the drug companies pull out all the stops to gently caress with the costs of drugs for veterans that is going to be terrible PR for them and will add more fuel to the public to fight against them.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

The other scenario, and the one I think is more likely to happen than higher prices for the VA, is that drug companies simply ignore prop 61 and it becomes that much harder for the state to procure perscription drugs. Also...

California Voter Guide posted:

Drug Manufacturers Might Decline to Offer Lowest VA Prices to the State for Some Drugs.
The measure places no requirement on drug manufacturers to offer prescription drugs to the state at the lowest VA prices. Rather, the measure restricts actions that the state can take (namely, prohibiting the state from paying more than the lowest VA prices for prescription drugs). Therefore, if manufacturers decide it is in their interest not to extend the VA’s favorable pricing to California state agencies (for example, to avoid consequences such as those described above), drug manufacturers could decline to offer the state some drugs purchased by the VA. In such cases, these drugs would be unavailable to most state payers. Instead, the state would be limited to paying for drugs that either the VA does not purchase or drugs that manufacturers will offer at the lowest VA prices. (However, to comply with federal law, Medi-Cal might have to disregard the measure’s price limits and pay for prescription drugs regardless of whether manufacturers offer their drugs at or below VA prices.) This manufacturer response could reduce potential state savings under the measure since it might limit the drugs the state can pay for to those that, while meeting the measure’s price requirements, are actually more expensive than those currently paid for by the state.

So it is possible that California ends up paying more in some cases.

There's also the fact that the price paid by the VA is not always publicly know which creates yet another barrier for procurement.

I think Pete's opinion on Prop 61 makes the NO argument better than I ever could.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

I kept hearing that possession of a plant as a minor now had a 3 year minimum sentence, but now I can't find anything about it except on Facebook. :shrug:

I already voted no on it. Good thing my vote doesn't matter anywho.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I kept hearing that possession of a plant as a minor now had a 3 year minimum sentence, but now I can't find anything about it except on Facebook. :shrug:

I already voted no on it. Good thing my vote doesn't matter anywho.

Sounds like a bunch of BS

quote:

A person who engages in the conduct described in paragraph (I) ofsubdivision (a) ofSection 11362.3 is guilty ofan infraction punishable by no more than a one hundred dollar ($100) fine;
provided, however, that persons under the age o f 18 shall instead be required to complete four hours ofa drug education program or counseling, and up to 10 hours ofcommunity service, over a period not to exceed 60 days once the drug education program or counseling and community service opportunity are made available to the person.
(b) A person who engages in the conduct described in paragraphs (2) through (4) ofsubdivision (a) ofSection 11362. 3 shall be guilty ofan irifraction punishable by no more than a two hundred andfifty dollar ($250) fine, unless such activity is otherwise permitted by state and local law; provided, however, that persons under the age o f 18 shall instead be required to complete four hours ofdrug education or counseling, and up to 20 hours ofcomniunity service, over a period not to exceed 90 days once the drug education program or counseling and community service opportunity are made available to the person.
(c) A person who engages in the conduct described in paragraph (5) ofsubdivision (a) ofSection 11362.3 shall be subject to the same punishment as provided under subdivisions (c) or (d) o f Section 11357.
(d) A person who engages in the conduct described in paragraph (6) ofsubdivision (a) ofSection 11362. 3 shall be subject to punishment under Section 113 79. 6.
(e) A person who violates the restrictions in subdivision (a) ofSection 11362.2 is guilty ofan infraction punishable by no more than a two hundred andfifty dollar ($250) fine.
(!) Notwithstanding subdivision (e), a person under the age o f 18 who violates the restrictions in subdivision (a) ofSection 11362.2 shall be punished under subdivision (a) ofSection 11358. (g)(l) The drug education program or counseling hours required by this section shall be mandatory unless the court makes a finding that such a program or counseling is unnecessary
for the person or that a drug education program or counseling is unavailable.
(2) Thedrugeducationprogramrequiredbythissectionforpersonsundertheageof18mustbe
free to participants andprovide at leastfour hours ofgroup discussion or instruction based on science and evidence-basedprinciples andpractices specific to the use and abuse ofmarijuana and other controlled substances.
(h) Upon a finding o fgood cause, the court may extend the time for a person to complete the drug education or counseling, and community service required under this section.

lovely OCR sorry.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

Sounds like a bunch of BS

Yeah, besides my fear-mongering friends making up poo poo like mandatory minimum sentences, the only other negatives I could find were growers against it because it "would invite big business to swoop in and steal all their profits". Which doesn't really have an effect on me.

As long as it doesn't gently caress up medical marijuana I'm fine with it passing honestly. Now if it somehow fails by one vote... :shepface:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

This is what I think. If the drug companies pull out all the stops to gently caress with the costs of drugs for veterans that is going to be terrible PR for them and will add more fuel to the public to fight against them.

:lol: "I want to use veterans' healthcare as a political football, that way people who aren't as smart as me will get mad at drug companies if they raise rates, those money-grubbing bastards." That about the size of it?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah, besides my fear-mongering friends making up poo poo like mandatory minimum sentences, the only other negatives I could find were growers against it because it "would invite big business to swoop in and steal all their profits". Which doesn't really have an effect on me.

As long as it doesn't gently caress up medical marijuana I'm fine with it passing honestly. Now if it somehow fails by one vote... :shepface:

Jerry!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I thought detergent pouches had been reworked to look less candy-like? drat.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

:lol: "I want to use veterans' healthcare as a political football, that way people who aren't as smart as me will get mad at drug companies if they raise rates, those money-grubbing bastards." That about the size of it?

Yeah. Like, literally hoping to use the price people pay for medicine as leverage to try to shift their political views. That's, uhhh, "problematic."

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

They (the growers, not your dipshit friends) aren't entirely wrong. Marijuana cultivation exists in a strange world where because it's illegal, it's profitable. If marijuana ever becomes legal nationwide, it's price will plummet like a stone. It's called weed for a reason, you can abuse the gently caress out of a marijuana plant and you'll still get a sizeable quantity off of it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Dead Reckoning posted:

What's wrong with that? Veterans get used as a political football all the time. Why not let the left get some access to that play?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BattleHamster posted:

The other scenario, and the one I think is more likely to happen than higher prices for the VA, is that drug companies simply ignore prop 61 and it becomes that much harder for the state to procure perscription drugs. Also...

I think Pete's opinion on Prop 61 makes the NO argument better than I ever could.

Prop 61 is definitely the hardest one and one I havent filled out on my ballot yet. I've read Pete's about it before and he makes a lot of really good points and agrees it's a good idea, there's nothing stopping drug companies just going lolno you're going to pay $1k a pill and the state still has to provide drugs somehow. Ultimately I think a lot of his points are sort of pie in the sky theory-crafing though. I still think I'll vote yes on it but i really wish it was a lot better.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 27, 2016

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

I guess I was unclear - I think they would face massive backlash and resistance for trying something like that therefore I don't think they would do it. If I thought it was something that was reasonably likely to happen, I would vote no.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I just read Pete's write-up, having already voted, and his write-up is pretty damned convincing on no. Hrm. I didn't really think about what would happen if the drug companies just refused to sell at that price, leaving the state with no leverage to enforce the proposition.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I just read Pete's write-up, having already voted, and his write-up is pretty damned convincing on no. Hrm. I didn't really think about what would happen if the drug companies just refused to sell at that price, leaving the state with no leverage to enforce the proposition.

I considered it, but I talked to my dad and he seemed pretty positive that at the end of the day, they want to make money and won't turn down making a large profit to gently caress people over for the chance to make a huge one if there were any risks. I told him he might be underestimating how greedy and inhuman drug companies are, but he's been around the block a lot longer than me so I took his word for it.

Plus the proposition bars the state from buying drugs at a higher price. They can refuse to sell at that price, but that just means the state is powerless to buy. They won't be making any money, just causing a political ruckus.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just saw a commercial on tv with Bernie Sanders urging a Yes on 61.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Howdy, also-voted buddy. Time for misgivings and second thoughts!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

What's wrong with that? Veterans get used as a political football all the time. Why not let the left get some access to that play?
Well, if you go in with the assumption that using people as a political prop without their permssion or monkeying with how much they pay for drugs are lovely things to do, saying that other people have done it is not a terribly good justification for doing it yourself.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I guess I was unclear - I think they would face massive backlash and resistance for trying something like that therefore I don't think they would do it. If I thought it was something that was reasonably likely to happen, I would vote no.
Counting on major pharmaceutical companies to take an unnecessary multi-million dollar financial hit for fear of possible bad press? It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for them.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I didn't really think about what would happen
Thread title, please.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well, if you go in with the assumption that using people as a political prop without their permssion or monkeying with how much they pay for drugs are lovely things to do, saying that other people have done it is not a terribly good justification for doing it yourself.

Counting on major pharmaceutical companies to take an unnecessary multi-million dollar financial hit for fear of possible bad press? It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for them.

Thread title, please.

Eh you're being condescending. There are countless different scenarios and reactions and we all can't consider all of them.

And not just bad press, I think if they literally raised prices on veterans it would get national attention and resistance to a pretty unprecedented level and it would lessen their leverage. Maybe I'm being too idealistic but them loving over veterans is something I don't think they'd do. I think they'd be far more likely to just refuse to sell at those prices.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Hey, how about pharma companies and insurance companies quantify their pricing structures then regulate them and just fix the problem.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A White Guy posted:

They (the growers, not your dipshit friends) aren't entirely wrong. Marijuana cultivation exists in a strange world where because it's illegal, it's profitable. If marijuana ever becomes legal nationwide, it's price will plummet like a stone. It's called weed for a reason, you can abuse the gently caress out of a marijuana plant and you'll still get a sizeable quantity off of it.
Weed hasn't been just "dump it in the yard and stand back" for a couple of decades. Nowadays you have to do a lot of complicated crap to harvest what used to be called sinsemilla (flower heads) and age it and so on. Depending on what regulators decide, I would expect a two-tier market of "dump it in a field, harvest, sell as prerolls" and "organically tended by naked supermodels, presented in a hand-blown Mason jar". Note that the California law requires weed to be marked with the %THC, which means that backyard growers and people who can't create a consistent product are at a big disadvantage.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Dead Reckoning posted:

This is one of the dumbest and stunningly naive things I've ever read.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

And not just bad press, I think if they literally raised prices on veterans it would get national attention and resistance to a pretty unprecedented level and it would lessen their leverage. Maybe I'm being too idealistic but them loving over veterans is something I don't think they'd do. I think they'd be far more likely to just refuse to sell at those prices.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to blanket an area with ads and sponsored content blaming the government for it, and just how many people will swallow that uncritically because they already distrust the state and will latch onto anything that supports their pre-conceived notion of the world. But yes, I agree with your second view. They'd just refuse to sell at the price, PhRMA would go whole hog on ads in California blaming the government for nobody being able to get their medications because the state refuses to pay their fair share, and enough people would swallow it to muddy the waters.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

Wow you're terrible.

Basically you're saying that if someone else does evil poo poo and gets political advantage thereby, we should also do evil poo poo in order to possibly gain our own political advantage thereby.

Presuming that you're a human being, and therefore would agree that arbitrarily causing anyone - veterans or some other group - to suddenly have to pay much higher prices for medicine or perhaps not be able to afford medicine or perhaps have some medicines suddenly be completely unavailable to them - is evil poo poo.

Because it is. You don't have to like soldiers to accept the idea that when people are dependent on a system for their life and health, deliberately loving with that system's likelihood of delivering life and health just so you can score political points is wrong.

Now, the actual argument here is whether or not this proposition is likely to do that, and that's a reasonable argument to have on both sides. But you've gone off on this other hosed up tangent of arguing that even if the VA totally does suddenly lose access to certain medications, or suddenly have to pay much higher prices for them, that's totally OK because other people have used these hospital patients as political footballs before. And that's a grotesque position to take, dude.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Eh you're being condescending. There are countless different scenarios and reactions and we all can't consider all of them.
I'm being condescending because you voted for something you didn't fully understand, thinking you had found One Weird Trick to force a multi-billion dollar industry to comply with your wishes, and it's likely to blow up in all of our faces. Like most voters, you are not as smart or as savvy as you think you are. In this case, this "unforseen" outcome was explicitly outlined in the California Legislative Analyst's take, which I believe is actually printed in the voter guide that our environmentally friendly state killed a whole bunch of trees to send you. As I said earlier, if you do not fully understand something, you should not be voting for it, even if you think it "sounds good." Your decision is emblematic everything wrong with direct democracy in general and the California initiative process in particular.

EDIT: Oh, and let's not forget that your premise was based on using the healthcare of third parties as a lever to force drug companies to do what you wanted. Even if you 99% believed that they wouldn't raise Rx prices for veterans, that's a pretty lovely gamble to take with other people's health when you have no skin in the game.

Shbobdb posted:

Let's burn down our democracy and society in the fires of realpolitik, but at least the flames will be Democratic blue.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 27, 2016

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

If there being a 1% chance of some people being hosed over by a backlash from a proposition is a reason for you to not vote for something, it doesn't seem like any proposition would work for you. Drug companies are going to bring the hammer and hellfire to keep price-gouging and they will find ways to gently caress people over. I think that in this particular case, they would not risk veterans' health over simply killing the leverage of the state to enforce lower prices. If I were to vote again today I would vote no based on that, but you know, sorry I didn't see every nuance in the proposition. I'm still learning the ways of local voting and this is my first time dealing with propositions in the most complicated state for law in the union.

Also hey I never claimed to be smart or savvy so that just seems like you're stroking your own ego when nobody asked you to.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That 1% figure is your invention. My guess (which is as good as yours) is the chances are more like 30%+

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Pharma companies know that they have no duty to the state, citizens of California, or veterans. The measure can really only lead to one thing if passed.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

That 1% figure is your invention. My guess (which is as good as yours) is the chances are more like 30%+

I was using his number not mine. Mine isn't 1% either but he mentioned that even if it was, I shouldn't play political football with people when I don't have skin in the game. But everything is political football. Any measure will gently caress people over somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I also think condescending tones often keep people from entering a discourse and voicing their views.

If you want to endorse democracy, you should start by holding measured and respectful discussions on issues and feel good that someone even gives a poo poo about a state proposition. Treating people with disrespect is going to deter them from being engaged and interested and you have to assume that a lot of people are just getting the hang of the complexities of local politics and need guidance and further perspective. Part of the reason why there is a strong anti-intellectual portion of the population is because intellectual people can often be so infuriatingly condescending to those trying to learn.