Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

has rick and morty ever referenced an anime
they reference many things, cartoons do that a lot, are any of them from japan

Comedy Answer: yes we just trace anime and erase the eyes out and replace them with our own.

Real answer :

This scene and this scene were originally going to be similar. with the idea that the buildings and plant foliage served a simialar function. they are foreground elements that hide the characters feet which is wayyyy cheaper to animate. but it the end it just got animated the way it did

for this sequence

the art directors said to use large areas of black shadows on the characters citing Deadleaves as example

There are other examples too. all equally subtle and boring. Welp. that's my story. Also watch HarmonQuest if you are looking for other cartoons like rick and morty. Much of the art crew is the same. in terms of utilizing the same people, that's literally the closest you can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I like the one with Aubrey Plaza where she's bored so she suicide bombs into the prison guards.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

MrSlam posted:

Is this them taking the piss out of corporations who try to connect with today's youth or are they implying that the Adult Swim audiences are a bunch of stoners?

Both?

Both.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've seen a lot of pictures of Meeseeks pumpkins lately, which is going to cause some confusion because there's a big campaign this year where people paint their pumpkins the same color to signify their house's candy is non-allergenic. Rick & Morty is going to kill some kids this Halloween.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
If you or your child have severe allergies, don't rely on strangers' pumpkins.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Typical posted:

There are other examples too. all equally subtle and boring. Welp. that's my story. Also watch HarmonQuest if you are looking for other cartoons like rick and morty. Much of the art crew is the same. in terms of utilizing the same people, that's literally the closest you can get.

Is there any legal way to watch it without having to subscribe to some streaming service I've never heard of until now?

Also the Two Brothers scene reminded me of Gurren Lagann, so I'm glad I wasn't far off the mark.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

sticklefifer posted:

I've seen a lot of pictures of Meeseeks pumpkins lately, which is going to cause some confusion because there's a big campaign this year where people paint their pumpkins the same color to signify their house's candy is non-allergenic. Rick & Morty is going to kill some kids this Halloween.

Can't people just write a note saying if they have candy for the kids with allergies?

Not this kind, though:

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Fister Roboto posted:

Is there any legal way to watch it without having to subscribe to some streaming service I've never heard of until now?

Also the Two Brothers scene reminded me of Gurren Lagann, so I'm glad I wasn't far off the mark.

It's on Amazon, but personally I'd rather give money to Seeso which seems to be giving a lot of cool funny people some big opportunities, and they probably pay millions of times more taxes than Amazon.

Also pretty sure only Amazon region locks it for no reason.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

StringOfLetters posted:

Back when Star Trek episodes were being written, the writers would sometimes just put down poo poo like, "Sir, we can't leave yet because [TECH]," and then the guy who kept track of how warp engines worked would go in and fill the brackets in with some internally-consistent-sounding techno-babble. As far as the plot and the character motivations were concerned, it doesn't matter what the gently caress is wrong with the warp drive, just that something is. Sometimes the [TECH] stuff is pretty ridiculous. And sometimes it's inconsistent between episodes.

The joke that planet is that it doesn't really matter why cobworld is uninhabitable. Instead of a plausible-sounding bogus explanation, they got high and said some goofy poo poo about everything being on a cob, and played it deadpan serious. Instead of anti-tachyon radiation, it was corn. The show will never mention it again.

If you really want a retro-explanation, it's because the cob proteins all over the environment would get into our uncob bodies and act like a prion infection, cobifying new proteins and making it so human bodies would basically stop doing anything right, internally. Nothing would be safe to eat, pollen in the air wouldn't be safe to breathe.

Rexides posted:

Why couldn't the writers just say it! I am not a goddamned cob-physicist for gently caress's sake!

Excelzior posted:

Listen, if ya ever need any joke murdered, please give me a call.I have no code of ethics, I will kill any joke, anywhere. Puns, quips, irony, doesn't matter. I just love killin'.

This thread is inspired.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
It's like Michael Sack's Dissecting a Dead Frog in here!

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Megaspel posted:

...The biggest bad thing about it, in my opinion, is how the only gay character is this muscle man serial rapist who escaped jail for raping dudes, then goes on to rape the baddies or whatever. A lot of Japanese media is incredibly homophobic, and I was disappointed to see OPM revel in that, but it never seems to get brought up much.

What makes you think this is the only gay character? As a fight-mans show, sexuality is almost never addressed. Pretty much any of these characters could be gay, bi, lesbian, asexual, etc.

The problem isn't the show. The problem is that your personal default is set to "hetero".

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Blasphemeral posted:

What makes you think this is the only gay character? As a fight-mans show, sexuality is almost never addressed. Pretty much any of these characters could be gay, bi, lesbian, asexual, etc.

The problem isn't the show. The problem is that your personal default is set to "hetero".

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

As someone who was defending and likes OPM, this is a really weak defense. The issue isn't "this is the only gay character" it's "this is the only character portrayed as gay, and this is how they choose to portray him". Trying to pull a "maybe you're the true homophobe for assuming everyone is hetero!" is some paper thin logic

This is waytf off topic tho

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"This horrible gay stereotype isn't offensive because in my fan fiction lots of characters are gay"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
His superpower is being gay, you see.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Someone needs to get Japan on the phone and encourage them to try harder.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Guy A. Person posted:

This is waytf off topic tho

Yet you had to share it with us anyways. The gay people of the world thank you for that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yet you had to share it with us anyways. The gay people of the world thank you for that.

Is responding to someone "sharing"?

I meant the entire conversation, not my specific post

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arist posted:

Why are you always trying to start poo poo

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Anime is apparently pretty dangerous

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Always do warmup and cooldown poses

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My friend convinced me to try this the other day by showing me the courtroom animation. I just saw the unity episode :saddowns:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

EmmyOk posted:

My friend convinced me to try this the other day by showing me the courtroom animation. I just saw the unity episode :saddowns:

Courtroom animation?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Paladinus posted:

Courtroom animation?

It's not a surprise you don't know about it, it hasn't been posted yet in this thread somehow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNsrK6P9QvI

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
:regd08:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Hemingway To Go! posted:

has rick and morty ever referenced an anime
they reference many things, cartoons do that a lot, are any of them from japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNEKhxvEvlc

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

That kid is soooo not getting any candy this year. :colbert:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Also, congrats on being the shittiest block in the neighborhood for every other kid.

They should add pennies to that list.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

sticklefifer posted:

Also, congrats on being the shittiest block in the neighborhood for every other kid.

They should add pennies to that list.

Oh, man, I remember the late '80s when young teens went trick-or-treating specifically to get pennies... that was, of course, when a handfull of pennies would still buy you something.

What would be the equivalent today? Quarters? Dollar coins?

LOL, "stay away from raisinettes!!!!" Not one, not two, not three, but four exclamation points.

"Carrots: fun to eat"
Never a bigger lie has been told.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 27, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

What you do in this case is you count every bit of candy your kid can't eat with your kid, then you say you're going to buy the same amount of candy that they can eat the next day (they don't need to know their parents get to eat what's left over in the bags). You can even make a thing of it, like you have to feed it to the Great Pumpkin and he'll reward you with edible candy.

You don't get the neighborhood to help you out by lecturing other people about responsible parenting.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

captain innocuous posted:

If you or your child have severe allergies, don't rely on strangers' pumpkins.

Goddamn, this. I would rip these down if I saw them, the gently caress.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Super oblivious parent. I'm sure all the other kids are gonna be real thankful the next day at school for the little boxes of raisins they got on Halloween. As if he doesn't have enough to deal with already without being pelted with life savers and carrot sticks for the next month.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Couldn't you at least go out to some neighbors you have some at least tenuously friendly relationship with and give them some candy to give to your kid when it comes over? No one will say no to your face even if they hate your guts otherwise, and your kid gets sweets it can eat without becoming a target for bullying the next day.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

To be fair, a bucket of Smarties and Life Savers wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to give out. But gently caress carrots and raisins and that other poo poo.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Rexides posted:

Couldn't you at least go out to some neighbors you have some at least tenuously friendly relationship with and give them some candy to give to your kid when it comes over? No one will say no to your face even if they hate your guts otherwise, and your kid gets sweets it can eat without becoming a target for bullying the next day.

If you have the personality to put up said poster it's unlikely you have any tenuously friendly relationships.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wait, don't Smarties have chocolate AKA dairy and maybe gluten and contact-with-peanuts in them? :confused:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mordja posted:

Wait, don't Smarties have chocolate AKA dairy and maybe gluten and contact-with-peanuts in them? :confused:

You're thinking European Smarties AKA real Smarties.

This is what American Smarties look like:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

counterfeitsaint posted:

As if he doesn't have enough to deal with already without being pelted with life savers and carrot sticks for the next month.

"Enjoy your carrot sticks Ryan, you chode!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

Can't people just write a note saying if they have candy for the kids with allergies?

Not this kind, though:

Jesus this is obviously just a troll.

• Locked thread