Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

prefect posted:

I must confess, my Civ playing waned a bit during 3, 4, and 5. What is "ICS"?

:corsair:

Infinite City Sprawl. You place a city on every available location regardless of strategic value or resources in order to maximize things like science per turn. Civ games often try to limit this. In Civ 5 the limiting factor was happiness. With GnK however you could found religion that gave happiness through various things so it made ICS the dominant strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Man, barbarians can be rough as gently caress. I want to keep them on so I can gain a little from fighting them but holy christ I have started one game so far where they aren't on horseback trampling my warriors and scouts by turn 30 and then just hanging around my capital ominously.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

It would work better if my unit wasn't waiting for orders to make a move he can't make though.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yeah that's a more accurate portrayal.

Infinite City Sprawl. It was a big deal in civ 3, since then games have been conscious to avoid it and players have been quick to reference it. It's nowhere near as bad in 4, 5 or 6 where it generally means "A lot of cities" or "no real loss to founding more cities"

I miss knowing exactly how much space each city would occupy and placing them exactly the right distance apart so that there was no overlap. :spergin:

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

..even giving you a score and comparing you to a historical leader aren't present for some reason.

I know the rest might not be present, but this definitely is in the game. Now, I don't think there's a hall of fame, which is really weird to me, but you do get a score comparison at the end of the game, with the same Dan Quayle to Augustus scale.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Spakstik posted:

I got the great scientist who reveals an oil resource when activated. I wasn't really sure whether his ability revealed oil that was already on the map or it created one, so I moved him to the inner part of my territory just in case and presto, an oil resource was revealed not far from where I used him. Unfortunately this doesn't really answer my question and I didn't think to reload an autosave and try it in a different spot to see what happened. Any idea which it is?

No, I got him and all the oil on the map (all 4 that I have found) is in distant snowy parts or far-off oceans.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

KyloWinter posted:

Infinite City Sprawl. You place a city on every available location regardless of strategic value or resources in order to maximize things like science per turn. Civ games often try to limit this. In Civ 5 the limiting factor was happiness. With GnK however you could found religion that gave happiness through various things so it made ICS the dominant strategy.

BNW sort of famously over-corrected on this and made exactly 4 cities the optimal strategy. Civ VI seems to be doing well in that you might as well expand as much as you can, but densely packing your cities isn't as beneficial

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

BNW sort of famously over-corrected on this and made exactly 4 cities the optimal strategy. Civ VI seems to be doing well in that you might as well expand as much as you can, but densely packing your cities isn't as beneficial

Yes Civ 6 seems to promote what Civ games should be about.

Also I hope someone mods in the throne room from Civ 2. Also the animated advisors.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 27, 2016

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
The art style in this game is fine, although a little too Dreamworks-y, but I find it hilarious that everyone has mega DSLs.

Didn't Civ V have an option to do a quick re-roll if you didn't like what you saw on turn one? I swear I remember that, and I am really missing that poo poo right now.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Assuming your talking about civ 6 the fact that it feels loving impossible to produce anything in a timely manner without packing a few cities together and planning out where your districts are gonna be makes me feel like this is mistaken.

Idk I could be wrong tho I've only played a few games so far but I distinctly recall being very annoyed with the rate of production from my late-game cities in my first game ever simply because who the gently caress is gonna think they need to stack industrial districts next to one another.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

KyloWinter posted:

I'm guessing you started with Civ 5? Everyone was a tall player in vanilla Civ 5.

No, I started with SMAC. ICS was optimal there but the game was still playable on tall.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
My biggest issue with the game is the barbarian respawn that takes places every 4-5 turns. If you have a large empire, you need to dedicate a fairly large force just to beat back barbarians and minimize fog of war. I don't mind it as much early game, but late game instead of a camp sending 2 units to screw up a trade route every few turns, I'd rather they spawned infrequently, but when they did it was a swarm capable of taking a city. Turning them off completely seems like it will screw the early game check it places on AI expansion.

Anyone who is expecting more out of a base Civ game must have a very short memory. You are not going to get the completely robust Civ experience until the second expansion comes out - but the game is still a lot of fun, and Civ 6 has a lot more depth and room to grow than any of the previous base games. With a patch to address the UI issues and wonky AI behavior, the game is going to be in excellent shape even before any expansions come out.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

reignofevil posted:

Idk I could be wrong tho I've only played a few games so far but I distinctly recall being very annoyed with the rate of production from my late-game cities in my first game ever simply because who the gently caress is gonna think they need to stack industrial districts next to one another.

I'm not hardcore (I play on the low difficulty levels), but I keep drowning in great writers and I can't build places to put their stupid books.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

Man, barbarians can be rough as gently caress. I want to keep them on so I can gain a little from fighting them but holy christ I have started one game so far where they aren't on horseback trampling my warriors

I see the problem here. Why do you have more than one warrior? Build more slingers, and upgrade them to archers as soon as you use one to kill a barbarian.

reignofevil posted:

Assuming your talking about civ 6 the fact that it feels loving impossible to produce anything in a timely manner without packing a few cities together and planning out where your districts are gonna be makes me feel like this is mistaken.

There should be a word for describing the feeling you get when you realise that the way you placed a district 100 turns ago makes everything right now suboptimal for you. "Distregret" maybe?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
You could try to trade some of your old books to make space but the AI being what it is I wouldn't count on them giving you a good offer.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Killsell them Great Peeps for ~1500 gold each

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

reignofevil posted:

Yeah I guess that type of packing is good, but when talking about ICS we're comparing it with stuff like this

Or this (not possible without mods)

To elaborate, the problem with ICS wasn't just that you could have a limitless number of cities, it was that every tile that was a city was strictly better than it being anything else.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 27, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Efexeye posted:

Is this something you can actually do? Because I would have pulled the trigger on Vivaldi and Cervantes and a couple others last night.

(I miss the good old days of big manuals. And the Civ 2 strategy guide! It was wonderful. :swoon:)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

prefect posted:

Is this something you can actually do? Because I would have pulled the trigger on Vivaldi and Cervantes and a couple others last night.

Absolutely. The big problem, though, is that I don't see any way to buy faster production using Gold.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

jfood posted:

Petra with Kilimanjaro in the desert is kinda absurd. It's no doubt a rare combo, but it's beautiful.

I built it, I wept.

It can actually get even better than that. Those desert tiles sure are amazing but you can't build much on them...

Unless you're Suzerain of La Venta. Colossal Heads can go on desert just fine for +2 faith and +1 culture a pop :getin:

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

Efexeye posted:

We should be able to sell great works, I have a museum full of Michelangelos but get no "theme bonus" since it's all by the same Ninja Turtle. I guess I could trade with other nations, but right now all the other nations are uncultured knuckle draggers who haven't created any great works themselves. Maybe that's the purpose of passing on Great People, to let them catch up and you can spend the points when you do have slots?

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yeah that's a more accurate portrayal.

Infinite City Sprawl. It was a big deal in civ 3, since then games have been conscious to avoid it and players have been quick to reference it. It's nowhere near as bad in 4, 5 or 6 where it generally means "A lot of cities" or "no real loss to founding more cities"

IIRC the Civ 3 manual actually talks about ICS (using that term) being a problem in Civ 2 and how they tried to counteract it for 3 so it goes all the way back.

e: Nope, misremembering, it was Civ 4's manual that talks about it!

Zohar fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 27, 2016

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

If you don't like certain changes to the game, it's really simple to edit in the game files. For example, you can make it so that builders can make roads, can set coast tiles to two food, can make it so farms can be built on grass and plains hills before Civil Engineering, etc. Just edit the .xml files in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Gameplay\Data folder with Notepad+ or something similar.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Game is fun so far but it seems like religious victory is way too easy on the small map sizes. I don't see how its possible to win a dual map on deity any other way than blitzing the AI immediately since there is no other way to stop them converting 1-2 or your 2-3 cities by turn 40ish.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Firebatgyro posted:

Game is fun so far but it seems like religious victory is way too easy on the small map sizes. I don't see how its possible to win a dual map on deity any other way than blitzing the AI immediately since there is no other way to stop them converting 1-2 or your 2-3 cities by turn 40ish.

Set the AI to Congo

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
If you start a duel map as Arabia do you instantly get a great prophet?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Koryk posted:

If you start a duel map as Arabia do you instantly get a great prophet?

You get the last one when the second to last one is claimed.

So presumably, it would give you one when your opponents claims one.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not saying you're wrong but any time I see a comment like this it amuses me because the new system is how I always assumed it worked in the first place (making you pay the extra movement when entering a tile instead of leaving it) because it makes about a billion times more sense.

They should have made base movement of infantry 3 points imo.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Periodiko posted:

Makes sense. Movement is a big reason why I tend to spam cavalry with my military.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Who do you guys recommend for a first game to get a good grasp of the new game?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Zotix posted:

Rome is fun and straightforward. Just not France.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Zotix posted:

That answer depends on how you want to play, since you really should be planning for one of the 4 victory conditions from turn 1. I like to set it to random and then try to use the Leader I get as intended, building as many of their unique buildings and units as I can.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Periodiko posted:

You can do this by editing the .xml files. You can edit the movement cost of tiles, as well.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

How do you see the favorable location to build your first city like you can with subsequent settlers?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Zotix posted:

How do you see the favorable location to build your first city like you can with subsequent settlers?

You start on one.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Firebatgyro posted:

Yeah, my one main gripe is I hate religious victories. Way too easy for the AI to win on higher levels with it if that's the path they take. And it's probably the most boring possible way of winning for yourself. I'll probably turn it off after awhile. I guess it's better than Diplomacy in 5 though.

I love the aspect of religion in the game. I think they could have expanded on it in this version and made it incredibly beneficial to a player. Just don't think it should be a victory condition. Always thought an economic victory should be an option. Control a certain percent of the world's gold or something.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Periodiko posted:

They should have let us build train tracks for infinite movement.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
OK, I'm probably retarded or something, but I'm trying to use a bombard, which is said to have range 2, but there is no option to use ranged attack that I can see? It's one tile removed from the target city, and the intervening tile is clear. Am I missing something obvious?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Heh. I play as the Aztecs twice, hoping to maybe skullfuck someone early on for some sweet, sweet builders and I am all alone in the vast expanse of my half of the continent. I decide to build some poo poo as Germany, three loving civs including Sumeria encircling me on Emperor.

steinrokkan posted:

OK, I'm probably retarded or something, but I'm trying to use a bombard, which is said to have range 2, but there is no option to use ranged attack that I can see? It's one tile removed from the target city, and the intervening tile is clear. Am I missing something obvious?

Well, you've either moved it this turn, or whatever is in the tile in-between is blocking the shot. :shrug:

Megazver fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

steinrokkan posted:

They can't attack if they moved that turn