Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Wolfsheim posted:

Speaking of Witcher 3, if I never played the previous games should I opt out of simulating a Witcher 2 save. I assume if you don't it gives you the 'canon' path kr whatever but when they do a similar thing in Bioware games it meant killing off everyone possible from previous games and missing out on sidequests.

Is it a similar sitch here, or is there an 'optimal' path of simulating the save and choosing certain choices?

Some of the things are somewhat obvious and just result in things like a character liking you more or less, some just affect dialogue. And yeah, generally it means people are dead so they don't affect things too much. The only truly important one is that you say that a dude named Letho is still alive, because he's a pretty cool dude with some neat quests. I'm sure there's also a guide out there that'll explain the choices, I don't think it'll be too spoilery to look into those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I didn't notice any difference, probably didn't go to the right area. The Witcher stuff is just good at being able to drop in and drop out of the series at any point and not feeling like you've forgotten two huge games.

They even drop in stuff from the books into the dialogue which is a fun thing for the fans of the series but also adds depth to the character interactions for people who just play the 3rd game. It's good fantasy.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Has anyone had issues adding funds to their wallet via CC or PayPal? I've tried both the CC I used to have set as a default payment method on PSN and PayPal, but I get an error message that the information is not valid when I try to add funds. The address and everything else obviously jives with my CC and PayPal information.

PSN does this randomly now for some reason for most people. Wait a couple of days and it should be fine.

Also, I loved Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls. Beyond is most fun if you have the ghost act like a total psychotic rear end in a top hat. Be warned that some chapters are tedious as hell. The chapter with the American Indians is fun at first but it drags on foreeeeeeeeeeever. I bought the PS4 version (but haven't gotten around to playing it yet) because I want to see if the story makes more sense when you play through it chronologically.

Beyond is one of the few games for which Sony sent me a congratulatory email when I platted it, which was a nice touch. Did Ellen Page ever sue over the pervy devs putting in the hidden nudity?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Really hoping for a flash sale tomorrow. I have about $38 left before I hit the mark for that spend $100 get $15 promo that ends on Tuesday.

e: Did they ever fix up Firewatch for PS4?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Kenny Logins posted:

Really hoping for a flash sale tomorrow. I have about $38 left before I hit the mark for that spend $100 get $15 promo that ends on Tuesday.

e: Did they ever fix up Firewatch for PS4?

They already had one this month so it seems unlikely

Also, I don't remember what the issues with Firewatch were, but when I play through it a couple a months ago, I had no problems.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FPS drops and random crashes mainly.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

glam rock hamhock posted:

Also, I don't remember what the issues with Firewatch were, but when I play through it a couple a months ago, I had no problems.

Shame since that flash sale was a ton of repeats.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

glam rock hamhock posted:

Well, if they don't I'll probably just pick up Firewatch and Salt & Sanctuary, then.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

What's the best Dead Rising?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Off the Record.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

1redflag posted:

What's the best Dead Rising?

Either 2 or Off The Record (which is basically an expanded 2.) OTR makes some changes I didn't like but they're extremely similar and OTR has more content .

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Either 2 or Off The Record (which is basically an expanded 2.) OTR makes some changes I didn't like but they're extremely similar and OTR has more content .

otr doesn't have the medicine mechanic right? instantly better if so

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

otr doesn't have the medicine mechanic right? instantly better if so

It did but since Frank was infected and not Katey you could just take the Zombrex anywhere with a single button press.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

so much better

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Yeah, that was actually the one thing I didn't like about OTR. Since you can just inject anywhere, the whole Zombrex thing is completely pointless and should have been removed entirely. It adds no tension. In 2, having to quickly rush back to base during that one-hour window is extremely stressful, which is part of the fun.

I did like the new camera mechanic in OTR, especially the move where Frank snaps a selfie with the zombie before killing it. The new zones, new final villains, and relocated psychos and survivors make the game fresh even if you played the hell out of 2.

I believe 2 is considered canon, though, not OTR.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the snowball canon is in both games actually.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

...! posted:

Yeah, that was actually the one thing I didn't like about OTR. Since you can just inject anywhere, the whole Zombrex thing is completely pointless and should have been removed entirely. It adds no tension. In 2, having to quickly rush back to base during that one-hour window is extremely stressful, which is part of the fun.

I did like the new camera mechanic in OTR, especially the move where Frank snaps a selfie with the zombie before killing it. The new zones, new final villains, and relocated psychos and survivors make the game fresh even if you played the hell out of 2.

I believe 2 is considered canon, though, not OTR.

Considering Katie is alive in DR3, yes, DR2 is canon.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
OTR is canon because by its own admission, it didn't actually happen. Its very premise is Frank going "if I was there, this is how I would have done it."

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The spend $100 get $15 rounds up right? I bought xenoverse 2 for $59.99 and the vita version of world of final fantasy for $39.99 so that should count right?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

My two cents is that you are two cents short. Shorty.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

OTR is canon because by its own admission, it didn't actually happen. Its very premise is Frank going "if I was there, this is how I would have done it."

Considering IIRC he's telling the story to Chuck it seems exceedingly lovely of Frank to say "If *I* was there I would have let your daughter die and then you would have gone crazy and I would have beaten you up!"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DrManiac posted:

The spend $100 get $15 rounds up right? I bought xenoverse 2 for $59.99 and the vita version of world of final fantasy for $39.99 so that should count right?

it has in the past but maybe you buy an avatar or something to be sure idk

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

it has in the past but maybe you buy an avatar or something to be sure idk

The Fall is still $1.99

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

dead rising 3 is still a good game, mind you

dead rising 1 probably aged poorly

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Dead Rising 1 was a huge mess even at the time, there's no way it aged well.

I weirdly have a lot of fond memories of listening to music while grinding zombie kills in that one access tunnel to unlock the mega-buster, though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I've been replaying Dead Rising 1 and it's still cool. Survivor AI is still poo poo and you're essentially just giving them way points and praying they'll follow while you clear the way for them though.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atKUCxXanXA

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

The PS4 mod scene for Skyrim is hilariously anemic. Good job, Sony

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

omg chael crash posted:

I gotta check again but the PC version sucks too. Had way more options on vanilla with Steam Workshop instead of Bethesda's crap.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

omg chael crash posted:

On day one? When it was limited access before? Color me shocked

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

CrashCat posted:

On day one? When it was limited access before? Color me shocked
The Xbone has considerably more, and they're way more interesting.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Akuma posted:

Maybe it just takes longer to get a titty mod looking just right for 4K.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

univbee posted:

Maybe it just takes longer to get a titty mod looking just right for 4K.

It's the crazy restrictions Sony placed on Bethesda. Basically we're only ever going to get mods that give you 1000 carry weight. It's so boring.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Akuma posted:

you bought multiple full price copies of skyrim in 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i agree that skyrim is boring

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Real hurthling! posted:

Real hurthling! posted:

Real hurthling! posted:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

you bought multiple full price copies of skyrim in 2016
I didn't buy any of them, you can browse all the mods and filter by platform on the Bethesda website.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hyperlight Drifter is extremely good. It manages to take the exploration of classic Zelda, marry in some very stylish Dark Souls-esque combat, and do it all with a coat of paint that's going to be real tough to top. The game looks and sounds great and I really dig the story and how it is told.

I have no idea if there are multiple endings, I know I didn't get 100 percent of the collectibles but instead I just went into the last challenge once it opened. This game captures that Dark Souls and more specifically Metroid-esque style of exploration where you poke at something that looks suspicious and you end up uncovering an entire area's worth of items and enemies as a reward. The game feels like it has limitless depths to plumb but even though I didn't go agonizingly far to scour for secrets, I feel like I got a good sense for the game's world and the events behind it and I certainly got my money's worth of content.

My interpretation of the situation is that the game obviously takes place long, long after a massive war that destroyed a highly advanced society. None of the creatures we encounter were likely responsible for that, but we do know at least that it was the dogs with the crystal shooting guns who were one "side" of the conflict. The Drifter himself is a biological weapon, like all the enemies you meet, likely born from the experiments that produce the blue-skinned guys in the tubes in the southern desert who now roam the world. We appear to be a kind of emergency protocol designed to prevent that ancient core from going supernova and blowing up. I have no idea what is meant to trigger it, since it hasn't detonated YET, but given the ending has the big light show in the sky dissolve and it seems like at last the surviving tribes are freed from the ominous shackles of the past. The Drifter is now rendered mortal and/or allowed to die upon completing his task.

As for who the second Drifter was, he could very well be a predecessor or alternate model to the main guy, another man without a past fighting for an uncertain future. Or he could be a local villager who just took up the journey himself, but was not capable of seeing it to the end. It's not too important, I suppose.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Akuma posted:

I didn't buy any of them, you can browse all the mods and filter by platform on the Bethesda website.

that's actually somehow worse than knowing this because you bought skyrim again

• Locked thread