Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Judge now explaining that they can't speculate on why the jury now looks like this, nor can they carry anything from the first deliberations. Gotta start anew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Teddybear posted:

Judge now explaining that they can't speculate on why the jury now looks like this, nor can they carry anything from the first deliberations. Gotta start anew.

even still, starting fresh they'll go faster. They have clarification on their questions from the first time, and it's not going to be significantly different with a new juror. They'll plow through the charges with quickness. Hopefully we'll have a verdict today or tomorrow.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Does the alternate juror sit in the jury box during the whole trial? They just don't go in to do the verdict originally?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Goodpancakes posted:

Does the alternate juror sit in the jury box during the whole trial? They just don't go in to do the verdict originally?

correct. alternates heard everything the full jury heard.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Yeah. They also stay under the same seclusion rules as the jury, ordered to not hear or read anything about the case. They just weren't in the room for deliberations in case something like this happens and they need someone to round out the twelve.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Man that's kind of a bummer job if you don't play a part in the decision process at the end.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Do alternate jurors at least get the $5 a day and complementary truck stop tuna sandwich?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Do alternate jurors at least get the $5 a day and complementary truck stop tuna sandwich?
When I had jury duty you only got food if deliberation ran late. I never got on a jury so all I got was $10 for the day plus some paltry amount for mileage.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Casimir Radon posted:

When I had jury duty you only got food if deliberation ran late. I never got on a jury so all I got was $10 for the day plus some paltry amount for mileage.

I was on a kidnapping/robbery case and we got lunch breaks to go out. I went to Wendy's a lot. It was surreal.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I decided for Halloween I'm going as a refuge squatter. Today I went to go buy a huge belt buckle and it was really hard keeping a straight face.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Casimir Radon posted:

You must live somewhere terrible because all of the government mileage reimbursements I've ever got (I've gotten a few working on congressional campaigns) have been quite generous.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I decided for Halloween I'm going as a refuge squatter. Today I went to go buy a huge belt buckle and it was really hard keeping a straight face.

Get a tarp.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

You must live somewhere terrible because all of the government mileage reimbursements I've ever got (I've gotten a few working on congressional campaigns) have been quite generous.
I live somewhere nice but the county only pays 16 cents a mile and I live somewhere around 2.5 miles from the courthouse. My federal travel allowances have been pretty nice though. I don't think those are based on locality though.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Telsa Cola posted:

Get a tarp.

a blue tarp with eyeholes cut out and a belt with a huge novelty belt buckle (with an LV Logo pasted over it, of course) would be a pretty hilarious lavoy finicum ghost costume

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
are they in prison yet

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

XMNN posted:

are they in prison yet

Not yet. Honestly tomorrow is probably the earliest we get a verdict unless they're able to power through everything over again super fast with the new juror.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Not yet. Honestly tomorrow is probably the earliest we get a verdict unless they're able to power through everything over again super fast with the new juror.

Apparently they're not meeting on Friday. I don't understand why.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Well, it is possible that we get a verdict today. The bias is cured and the jury has clarification on how to proceed. Prior to the juror dismissal, they had convictions on all counts for three defendants and partial convictions for the rest but were unsure exactly how to apply them. Granted they have to start over and proceed like new it still should go faster.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
https://twitter.com/karinapdx/status/791758329450160128

That soon? They only (re-)started this morning.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

That's incredibly bad news right? They're likely to be acquitted.... How could that be?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
https://twitter.com/karinapdx/status/791760688842616834

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ogmius815 posted:

That's incredibly bad news right? They're likely to be acquitted.... How could that be?

Juror 11 was our only hope.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

3:00 PM is about....now.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

It's announcement o'clock, folks.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/791760396600291328

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

it should be 3 pm now are those bundy hicks in jail yet

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Jury question

Do not pass “GO”, do not collect $200.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
wtf

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/791763595646279680

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

WrenP-Complete posted:

It's announcement o'clock, folks.

It's quarter after now, and still no announcement. :argh:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
https://twitter.com/EileenParkTV/status/791763078643712000

She is the local CBS reporter

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
This is not doing good things for my F5 key

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Mods get ready to change the thread title please

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/791769056420335616

‏@maxoregonian
Jury note: 'We have reached consensus on all but one charge..'#oregonstandoff

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

If I knew what I was doing, I'd embed the Ron Paul "It's happening!" gif.

vv THANKS!!!

TotalLossBrain has issued a correction as of 23:35 on Oct 27, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TotalLossBrain posted:

If I knew what I was doing, I'd embed the Ron Paul "It's happening!" gif.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

that consensus is...innocent!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/791770092635770880

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:f5:

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Fry is gonna take the fall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

She's just going to send them back, isn't she? You don't get to declare a hung jury after less than one day of deliberations.