Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgL8h_u2PHw

I don't remember if SM3 had any good JJ scenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rough Lobster posted:

I don't remember if SM3 had any good JJ scenes

I liked the part where he got hustled by a kid for her camera.

Also, some of those top moments are from 3, including the famous "Shut up, get out."

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 27, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
They should have just hired Keenan Thompson to play Robbie. That dude looks just like him.

Also:
"...Doctor Strange."
"That's pretty good. But it's taken!"

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 27, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

I didn't realize this was a controversial opinion, but a scene in the movie where a little kid is terrified of Spider-Man seems like a fundamentally bad idea. If the mask isn't endearing and inspirational, he prolly should do something about that. Spider-Man has a secret identity. It is essential to the character in modern Marvel in a way that does not apply to any of his colleagues anymore. PLUS THE ENTIRE CONCEPT OF SPIDER-MAN FROM INCEPTION IS THAT A CHILD WOULD LOOK AT HIM AND THINK "WOW THAT'S FUCKIN COOL". So no, sorry, I didn't get giddy for Andrew Garfield saving a kid. I wanted Spider-Man. If that is supposed to be the best part of the movie, I feel confident in maintaining my opinion that it was hot trash.

Like sure, from the internal logic of the movie, I can see the character thinking that was a good idea. But I don't judge movies on their own internal logic because that doesn't make as much sense in my mind. I'm not upset at the character Peter Parker for his decision. I'm upset with the writer/producer/director/whoever that decided to include that scene.

Spider-Man is a big scary masked dude with big bug eyes who the biggest newspaper in the city calls a murdering criminal on a regular occasion. You're not only wrong internally but out-of-story either. You know how I know? Because when my little sister was growing up Spider-Man freaked her out. She had to stop trick-or-treating one Halloween when she was little because seeing a bunch of Spider-Man costumes walking around made her cry specifically because of the big bug-eyed masks.

There are plenty of in-comic examples too so this isn't even a hypothetical. You're the one pushing this incredibly narrow idea that Spider-Man is beloved by all in all settings at all times which just doesn't fit. He's even had conversations about how the masks (and the quips) are supposed to be intimidating and annoying respectively because they disguise his own fear.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 27, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, Spider-Man's design was supposed to be creepy and a bit uncomfortable, not something to be loved by children. Hell, it was written for roughly teens, not young children.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SlimGoodbody posted:

That's not really a problem unless you like Whedon at his most painfully twee

Whedon was pretty much hands off on it and it shows, it's one of the best episodes of the series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The guys at... I think it was Atlas, at the time? Tried to talk Stan out of doing Spider-man, convinced it would completely fail. One of their reasons for why he would not work was his weird creepy costume that obscured his entire face, making him too hard to relate to.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Whedon was pretty much hands off on it and it shows, it's one of the best episodes of the series.

The way it just pummeled the overwrought Buffy/Angel lovey-dovey crap was the best part.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Buffy was actually a really good show until the last few seasons. I can't point to a specific moment where it jumped the shark without doing a rewatch of the whole series, but at a guess, it was probably the episode where Spike tried to rape Buffy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

The way it just pummeled the overwrought Buffy/Angel lovey-dovey crap was the best part.

It really was, it's such a great episode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Buffy was actually a really good show until the last few seasons. I can't point to a specific moment where it jumped the shark without doing a rewatch of the whole series, but at a guess, it was probably the episode where Spike tried to rape Buffy.

It was Season 6, yes. Season 1-5 form a complete arc and while Season 5 has rough moments it ends on probably the strongest note the series could rather than infinite tedium and increasing depression.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

It was Season 6, yes. Season 1-5 form a complete arc and while Season 5 has rough moments it ends on probably the strongest note the series could rather than infinite tedium and increasing depression.

I am willing to accept the faults of seasons 6 & 7 because through that course of events we got Spike on Angel.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Now this is stuck in my head, thanks a lot, jerks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_q1SdaWLlw

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
There's no way we're pretending Spider-Man's design is like Swamp-Thing or something. Spider-Man is naturally unnerving in his movements because he moves like a spider and that's creepy. I'm sorry your sister had a meltdown, but to toss out my own anecdote, I was a kid once and I thought Spider-Man was cool as poo poo. So did literally every other male my age. Because it was Spider-Man. I dunno, if Spider-Man's costume scares everyone and he's unable to help a child who's about to die because the kid is too freaked out by his horrifying visage, Spider-Man must be a real rear end in a top hat. He should probably work on fixing that. Iron Man never has that problem. And it sure makes everyone else in every other Spider-Man movie look weird when they just hop on his waist and let him swing them from a burning building or whatever without screaming in horror or running away or being paralyzed by fear.

Seriously, this is standard superhero stuff. If you write a Spider-Man bit where his only way to do heroics is to not be Spider-Man, rewrite the bit. See also: Batman shooting dudes .

Lurdiak posted:

The guys at... I think it was Atlas, at the time? Tried to talk Stan out of doing Spider-man, convinced it would completely fail. One of their reasons for why he would not work was his weird creepy costume that obscured his entire face, making him too hard to relate to.

Like hey, maybe I'm being incredibly dense (wouldn't be the first, won't be the last) but isn't the punchline to this story that the gentlemen at Atlas were hilariously wrong? Spider-Man is perhaps the most relatable superhero of all time?

Lurdiak posted:

I've seen Angel so much that I finally decided to buckle down and get through Buffy. I'm watching it with my mom.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Lurdiak posted:

I think the entire storyline that led to that moment was my jump the shark moment. I tried to do a series re-watch recently and just jumped off partway through season four and just stuck to watching Angel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, the season-long plot about Spike and Buffy having graphic hate sex was uh.

Not good tv.

I think you can probably safely jump off Buffy after the Gentlemen episode, because I think that's the last really good one and the series just keeps getting more miserable until it finally mercifully ends. Angel, on the other hand, is fun throughout.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

SonicRulez posted:

Like hey, maybe I'm being incredibly dense (wouldn't be the first, won't be the last) but isn't the punchline to this story that the gentlemen at Atlas were hilariously wrong? Spider-Man is perhaps the most relatable superhero of all time?

Sure, he's relatable to us because we see Peter Parker. That kid just sees a weird unknown guy in a mask when he's already scared off his rear end and about to die. Peter shows him he's relatable...by taking off his mask, revealing Peter Parker. You don't have to like the scene (or the movie) but it is not somehow the most out of character thing to ever happen in Spider-Man history or anything. You think Spider-Man is cool because you see him being cool in comics and movies. The kid has none of that context, and just sees a weirdo.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

SonicRulez posted:

Like hey, maybe I'm being incredibly dense

Yes, you are. It has been established, over a period of decades, that Spider-Man's mask is intentionally creepy. ASM acknowledges this in the bridge scene, and uses the removal of the mask as a way to demonstrate Peter's compassion and heroism. This is important to the narrative, as the bridge scene was a direct followup to Captain Stacy (unknowingly) upbraiding Peter for behaving as a self-interested vigilante. In that scene, saving a child's life was more important to Peter than preserving his identity, and giving the kid his mask was a way to help the kid find the courage to survive. It's a character moment that very effectively shows Peter acting like a real hero for the first time. It's a very good scene in a very bad movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Spider-Man's mask is unique because of the webs and colour scheme but the style of the eyes is common among other characters, all of whom are supposed to have an air of menace and mystery to them. Probably the most obvious one is the Prowler, created by then-current Spider-Man artist Romita.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's really one of the great things about Spider-Man that you can adjust the tone of the costumes colors, the shape of his eyes, and his body language, to make Spidey appear threatening or friendly.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Chaos Hippy posted:

Yes, you are. It has been established, over a period of decades, that Spider-Man's mask is intentionally creepy. ASM acknowledges this in the bridge scene, and uses the removal of the mask as a way to demonstrate Peter's compassion and heroism. This is important to the narrative, as the bridge scene was a direct followup to Captain Stacy (unknowingly) upbraiding Peter for behaving as a self-interested vigilante. In that scene, saving a child's life was more important to Peter than preserving his identity, and giving the kid his mask was a way to help the kid find the courage to survive. It's a character moment that very effectively shows Peter acting like a real hero for the first time. It's a very good scene in a very bad movie.

Right, that was my point toward the end there. If Peter's gotta remove his mask to do the good heroics, the mask is prolly a pretty bad idea. It would be like if Superman got sucked by his cape into a turbine (NO CAPES!). It isn't unreasonable that something like that could happen and Superman deciding against the cape next time he wants to catch a plane could serve character purpose. However, Superman wears a cape. So if the story makes wearing a cape have a negative effect on his superheroing, I'm gonna arch an eyebrow at the scene.

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, the season-long plot about Spike and Buffy having graphic hate sex was uh.

Not good tv.

I think you can probably safely jump off Buffy after the Gentlemen episode, because I think that's the last really good one and the series just keeps getting more miserable until it finally mercifully ends. Angel, on the other hand, is fun throughout.

I'm not sure I'd call Season 4 of Angel fun. Season 5 totally pulled things back around though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SonicRulez posted:

I'm not sure I'd call Season 4 of Angel fun. Season 5 totally pulled things back around though.

Season 4 has a lot of great moments. The entire Angelus arc is fantastic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Was Season 4 the one with Angel's whiny-rear end kid who just constantly went "Euuuuuunh!" and threw tantrums and tried to kill people, but Angel kept not tearing his head off because of reasons? That was easily the low point of the series.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Any criticism of a general period of Angel (or Buffy for that matter) comes with exceptions for Angelus and/or Faith. Yeah, Season 4 was the grand introduction of Connor. And it had Jasmine. And Cordelia slept with Connor. Just all of it was the worst ever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

There's no way we're pretending Spider-Man's design is like Swamp-Thing or something. Spider-Man is naturally unnerving in his movements because he moves like a spider and that's creepy. .

We're not 'pretending' because "Spider-Man is strange and creepy' is a literal defined part of the character for decades. You, and you alone, are the only person who thinks Spider-Man is supposed to be super-friendly-awesome guy who nobody is scared of and everyone loves. You also can only do this by rejecting in-story logic which is frigging absurd.

You're saying "I'm not scared of Spider-Man as a child watching his adventures but a trapped terrified child is suddenly confronted by a masked superhuman and is scared, ergo the story has failed because this trapped terrified child should respond exactly like a calm audience member." That isn't at all a reasonable standard to judge writing by.

SonicRulez posted:

Right, that was my point toward the end there. If Peter's gotta remove his mask to do the good heroics, the mask is prolly a pretty bad idea.

What?

You have some weird ideas about Spider-Man not backed up by the actual character. Spider-Man is not intended by Peter to be a giant inspriational figure. His mask is intended to protect his identity. He (and the artists) make use of the fact his mask is scary and inhuman quite regularly.

"Superhero looks intimidating and does something to soften himself so the innocent are not scared" is also Superhero 101. It's so Superhero 101 frigging Batman does it despite Batman being defined by his ability to scare people.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 27, 2016

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Lurdiak posted:

Was Season 4 the one with Angel's whiny-rear end kid who just constantly went "Euuuuuunh!" and threw tantrums and tried to kill people, but Angel kept not tearing his head off because of reasons? That was easily the low point of the series.

That whiny kid grew up to be Pete Campbell so all is forgiven.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
This talk of Spidey removing his mask when saving a kid reminds me of the ending to the hallway fight in the first season of Daredevil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV1Vzn6xwqQ
(Also wanted an excuse to post the video, I love this whole scene) After kicking the asses of all the mob guys, Daredevil goes to rescue the kidnapped kid, but then pauses at the door, and then lifts his mask up before going in.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

What?

You have some weird ideas about Spider-Man not backed up by the actual character. Spider-Man is not intended by Peter to be a giant inspriational figure. His mask is intended to protect his identity. He (and the artists) make use of the fact his mask is scary and inhuman quite regularly.

Even more than that, it's supposed to be highly stylized and flashy because he was trying to be an actual character for wrestling and performances. When the money-making aspect is removed from his origin he has that costume only because... that's what Spider-Man looks like.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
EDIT: This is not the hill I wish to die on. Kids = no masks, fine, whatever.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 27, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I havent even seen the fuckin movie and this is getting ridiculous, if he chooses to take his mask off to make one situation better why does that somehow mean "gotta remove his mask to do the good heroics" as if it's a binary mask = good or mask = bad?

SonicRulez posted:

I'm somewhere between 90 and 100% positive that there are panels explaining that Batman's costume is designed by him in a way that would be endearing to kids and frightening to adults. Like on purpose. Perhaps I conflated that information with Spider-Man and that's how we got here. But hey, if The Batman comes out and Bruce takes off his mask to show some bank robbers that he's every bit as human as they are and they turn their lives around, giving up crime after realizing that even the big bad Bat is a man with problems, I'll be sure to give out about that scene too. 'Cause I'd argue that wearing the mask while saving lives is also Superhero 101 for like 3 dudes in comics today. Peter, Bruce, and Matt.

Theres a scene in New Frontier where he's changed his costume from the 40s suit into the brighter blue, 50s style costume, after he's got Robin on his team. He says to Superman he got into this business to scare criminals, not children. There's also a bit in The Man Who Laughs where he says "people don't need to be afraid of me...but I'm not their pal, either." I think Batman would rather kids not be scared of him but if that's an unavoidable part of terrifying evil-doers he'd probably call that an acceptable loss.

And if he was saving a single kid who was too scared to come with him otherwise Batman would definitely take off his mask. It's completely idiotic to suggest that Spider-Man wouldn't.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 27, 2016

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I just think Spidey would be more well received if, on confronting a scared child, he took off his mask and then took a knife and used it to remove his own face, showing him that everything is meat underneath.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mover posted:

I just think Spidey would be more well received if, on confronting a scared child, he took off his mask and then took a knife and used it to remove his own face, showing him that everything is meat underneath.

Sure, but in the context of the movie, does the kid get to wear Peter's face?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Spider-Man should keep his mask on even when kids are afraid of it and have to struggle with how to save kids that are scared of him.

Then JJJ gets to write "SPIDER-MAN TERRORIZES CHILDREN" headlines as a result.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He should have a second, scarier mask underneath his normal mask.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

greatn posted:

Don't worry kids, I'm here to help!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Spider-Man's mask is cute

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.

Clearly he should just carry around a stash of kid-sized Spider-Masks and hand them out to kids like crowns at burger king.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Has there ever been a what if for if ghost rider got bitten by the radioactive spider?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

greatn posted:

Okay there Deadpool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I remember an issue of the Justice League Unlimited tie-in comics where Blue Devil was upset that kids were afraid of him, and then another hero tells him a story about this one time when a kid was terrified by Superman, because all the kid could see was a large mass of muscle absolutely impervious to the fire coming after them.

purple death ray posted:

And if he was saving a single kid who was too scared to come with him otherwise Batman would definitely take off his mask. It's completely idiotic to suggest that Spider-Man wouldn't.

I also remember an episode of Batman Beyond where Terry had to take off his mask to save a kid, and Bruce got pissed at him since it made the kid a target for everybody wanting to find out his identity.

• Locked thread