Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Dicky mouse posted:

In a weird turn of fate. I was reading this thread last night.

I also took my meds which tend to have strange side effects.

And holy poo poo. I dreamed I was traveling through india with you guys.

You'll never guess which poster got pissed at me, at me for being creepy and left the group. To never be seen again.

That was real. You're asleep now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Two additions to the thread.

1. More Chinese exchange student stories!

I'm writing my Master's thesis in an international software development program, and there are loads of foreign exchange students in the program. A mandatory part of the curriculum is a course on academic writing, which is basically "don't plagiarize you dumbasses, you won't get away with it" the course.

As part of the course we were required to do a bunch of group work, including discussions and debates on various aspects of academic writing, like "can you think of differences between academic writing in your native tongue and English".

We talked about how English academic papers often has a certain passive voice which is hard to reproduce in other languages, because they might not have similar replacements. The guy from Pakistan, the girls from Turkey and Sweden, and the guy from Iraq all had interesting points to offer. Then we turned to the Chinese guy.

He started talking, in very bad English, about how China is a future-looking country and doesn't have a need to talk about past things, and how past events can be a source on unharmony in many countries, like in China. We were all puzzled until we discovered that he thought passive == past tense. This guy is supposed to be a MSc level student in an international program and is supposed to be writing a credible high level scientific work. I decided I'm gonna do the online version of the course after all because I can't handle group work projects with Chinese students anymore. No more "here is a copy-pasted Wikipedia article broadly related to our topic, what do you mean I didn't do my share of the work" poo poo for me, thank you.

2. Civilization 6 can be kinda funny. I hurt the feelings of the Chinese.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Jeoh posted:

you'll never guess which poster cares about your creepy goon dreams (it's no one)

i care

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

I care about everything I shouldn't, so same.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Haier posted:

A thread about the silly Berkeley protests. Can we guess who the "Asian" students are?

IN B4 Baby Helldump calls me racist.

Haha I was wondering what that human wall they were making was as I was walking by. Only fools go under the gate anyways.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
the past is indeed very unharmonious pls look no further

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Der Shovel posted:

He started talking, in very bad English, about how China is a future-looking country and doesn't have a need to talk about past things, and how past events can be a source on unharmony in many countries, like in China.

China very big and continue to <<strive toward modernity without compromise>>, do u know?

Some French Guy
Aug 30, 2003
Little late for that discussion but sometimes they put people from Quebec on French TV for whatever reason and they always put subtitles on.

Talking about Korea my first experience with anything related to it was actually going there with a couple of my friends because we were going to China for the international expo and wanted to go somewhere else and Japan was too expensive. One of my friends, being Korean, offered to go there.
I actually had a lot of fun but it may be because we were hanging out with his cousin's buddies who were all from an international school in Seoul so they have perfect English. Also probably cause we were hanging out around what I later learned was the gangnam area.

Not seeing a single foreigner was also kinda fun.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Why is it always this character and not just a question mark?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

Why is it always this character and not just a question mark?

it's a china thing。

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When I was in Malaysia chinese kids would follow me around and say "Hi John!!" and random people would shout "hey john!" or just "John!!" at me.
It took me a while to figure this out. I always thought there was some dude named John near me, or that "John" was some greeting or expression in the local dialect. Nope, all white guys are named John.

Also simply knowing how to use chopsticks was enough to get a whole restaurant full of people and staff to come watch, let alone that I was totally fine eating normal ol' chinese food which seemed exactly the same as the chinese food I ate back home.

I will never ever forget being able to eat unlimited dim sum nearly every morning for a couple dollars though.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

When I was in Malaysia chinese kids would follow me around and say "Hi John!!" and random people would shout "hey john!" or just "John!!" at me.
It took me a while to figure this out. I always thought there was some dude named John near me, or that "John" was some greeting or expression in the local dialect. Nope, all white guys are named John.

actually they were calling you a whoremonger

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Baronjutter posted:

Also simply knowing how to use chopsticks was enough to get a whole restaurant full of people and staff to come watch, let alone that I was totally fine eating normal ol' chinese food which seemed exactly the same as the chinese food I ate back home.

I will never ever forget being able to eat unlimited dim sum nearly every morning for a couple dollars though.

I've been very tempted on a few occasions to run up to Korean tourists in Canada and shout all the stupid things they would randomly say to me on the street back in Korea, just to see what their reaction is. Also nothing better than having Koreans and Chinese tourists call you foreigner to your face, while you are in your own country. A friend asked me why they do that, and I had to explain that no matter where Chinese/Koreans are on the earth, everyone else is a foreigner.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Blistex posted:

I've been very tempted on a few occasions to run up to Korean tourists in Canada and shout all the stupid things they would randomly say to me on the street back in Korea, just to see what their reaction is. Also nothing better than having Koreans and Chinese tourists call you foreigner to your face, while you are in your own country. A friend asked me why they do that, and I had to explain that no matter where Chinese/Koreans are on the earth, everyone else is a foreigner.

Someone mentioned that they get real angry if you call them a foreigner while they are abroad, even more so if you do it in whatever language they speak. (It's because they are essentially using it as a slur for those people and how dare you think that about me)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Telsa Cola posted:

Someone mentioned that they get real angry if you call them a foreigner while they are abroad, even more so if you do it in whatever language they speak. (It's because they are essentially using it as a slur for those people and how dare you think that about me)

So refer to them as a foreigner to another expat in their home country, as in 'well you are a foreigner to us'. Not good?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I was born in Malaysia and apparently whenever my parents went out for dinner all the waitresses would go nuts for little blonde two year old me and would just take me away. My parents would go Thank Christ and enjoy their meal.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I was born in Malaysia and apparently whenever my parents went out for dinner all the waitresses would go nuts for little blonde two year old me and would just take me away. My parents would go Thank Christ and enjoy their meal.

that actually does seem like a pretty ideal cultural quirk for new parents

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I think a pretty good explanation for the concept of 'face' is that it is of the utmost importance to maintain the illusion that we are in the best of all possible worlds, that everyone is doing their utmost and everything is great. Pointing out any actual flaws that might indicate otherwise (regardless of whose fault they might be) is equivalent to causing the problem itself.

It's basically a social contract to never acknowledge that things could be better, because they are already add good as could possibly be expected, so whoever points out a problem might as well have caused it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

The Great Autismo! posted:

i can make these statements because falun bong refugee is probated for the next week, lol

Thank gently caress

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Telsa Cola posted:

laat week, I got to go off on a Korean, in Korean, for calling me a foreigner.

It was everything I had always hoped.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

McKilligan posted:

I think a pretty good explanation for the concept of 'face' is that it is of the utmost importance to maintain the illusion that we are in the best of all possible worlds, that everyone is doing their utmost and everything is great. Pointing out any actual flaws that might indicate otherwise (regardless of whose fault they might be) is equivalent to causing the problem itself.

It's basically a social contract to never acknowledge that things could be better, because they are already add good as could possibly be expected, so whoever points out a problem might as well have caused it.

Now you got me curious, how much of this stems from the Communist revolution and insistence that the revolution could do no wrong, and how much of this existed in Chinese history/culture before the Communist purges? Or am I chasing a false trail here?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

ladron posted:

laat week, I got to go off on a Korean, in Korean, for calling me a foreigner.

It was everything I had always hoped.

Go on...

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Basically he was saying something like foreigners can't eat uncooked food like sushi. I said something like, "Foreigner? Don't call me a foreigner. This isn't Korea. You're the foreigner here. Bitch." (the bitch part was in English). Shut him up real quick.
I'm sure it is nothing special to anyone else, but to me it was like popping a zit.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ladron posted:

Basically he was saying something like foreigners can't eat uncooked food like sushi. I said something like, "Foreigner? Don't call me a foreigner. This isn't Korea. You're the foreigner here. Bitch." (the bitch part was in English). Shut him up real quick.
I'm sure it is nothing special to anyone else, but to me it was like popping a zit.

The nanosecond you were out of earshot he turned to whoever he was talking to and said, "Wow, the foreigner speaks Korean!"

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Brannock posted:

Now you got me curious, how much of this stems from the Communist revolution and insistence that the revolution could do no wrong, and how much of this existed in Chinese history/culture before the Communist purges? Or am I chasing a false trail here?

I'm talking completely out of my rear end, but it feels more like a Confucian aspect to me - maintain social harmony at all costs.

Another aspect of it is that since everyone "agrees" that everything is going as well as it possibly could, then it stands to reason that everyone involved is completely honest, hardworking, honorable, selfless, etc. Again, it's the illusion that this is the best of all possible worlds, and therefore everyone is their best possible self. Everyone is entitled to that delusion, that's "Face". To strip someone of it because by calling them out for being a lazy, rude, selfish sack of poo poo is unthinkable, again, because of this weird social contract that everyone agrees to pretend that everyone else is also doing the best they can. To break that contract means that someone might call you out on YOUR poo poo one day.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Stringent posted:

The nanosecond you were out of earshot he turned to whoever he was talking to and said, "Wow, the foreigner speaks Korean!"

hahahaha, probably

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Stringent posted:

This, but unironically.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Some French Guy posted:

I actually had a lot of fun but it may be because we were hanging out with his cousin's buddies who were all from an international school in Seoul so they have perfect English. Also probably cause we were hanging out around what I later learned was the gangnam area.

Korea is a lot of fun as long as you aren't working for Koreans. As a place to visit to go party, or if you secure one of the fabled Good Jobs, it's a great place. If you aren't Korean you get out of a lot of the cultural bullshit that makes it terrible for the locals, and the racist poo poo does happen but it's not that common--also, anecdotally, seems to occur a lot more in Seoul. I lived in the southeast and people being huge pricks to me just because of race wasn't that common. The most typical annoyance was people refusing to communicate. My Korean isn't great but I know numbers just fine, don't act like you don't understand me. I even have your dumb non-standard accent from living here. :argh:

One thing I really miss are the street markets. China's markets are just a chance for the vendors to try to scam you for as much as they can. The Korean vendors are almost always honest and if you keep going back to the same ones they give you all kinds of free stuff. My neighborhood's street market was the same street I walked to get to work and occasionally my potato and onion lady would chase me down and give me a bag of the seasonal fruit for no reason if she spotted me walking through. That kind of thing has never happened to me in China.

Brannock posted:

False trail. They do the same thing in Korea and Japan. It's much older than the commies.

Stringent posted:

I ran into two random Koreans in my neighborhood here once, and one of them pointed at me and said "Wow a foreigner." I then told them we're in China and they're Korean, so they're the foreigners. They stared at me then one said to the other "He speaks Korean?" I told them no, I'm speaking Chinese because it's China, and walked off as they looked confused.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

I ran into two random Koreans in my neighborhood here once, and one of them pointed at me and said "Wow a foreigner." I then told them we're in China and they're Korean, so they're the foreigners. They stared at me then one said to the other "He speaks Korean?" I told them no, I'm speaking Chinese because it's China, and walked off as they looked confused.

man, you have earned a kiss on the lips

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Baronjutter posted:

There's a snack in Singapore/Malaysia called the 'roti John'. It's basically a fried minced-meat sandwich (not bad, either), and 'roti' just means 'bread'. They just called it a 'roti John' because apparently foreigners brought in baguettes to the region, and as you know they're all named John so...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
When I was living in small town Taiwan, there was only a single bar in the town and as a result I frequented it quite often. One night, I was there with a buddy when we noticed a large group of Koreans drinking by themselves in the corner. This was most unusual as there was no significant Korean population in the town. We figured they must have been there on business. So being that I had a few drinks in me, I sauntered over and in my best Korean told them, "Drink, and death!" which got a big cheer from all the men. They started pulling out phones and showing us photos of their kids and stuff while we drank for a bit. Then the old guy who had remained quiet up until then calmly told us that it was nice to meet us but we needed to back to our side of the bar. At that point, all of the young guys immediately stopped talking to us.

For the rest of the night, the guys would go alone or in pairs to the bathroom and when they past by our spot at the bar, they'd quickly pop over, apologize, and chat with us about their kids studying in America or Canada.

Eventually they all left and the bartender came up to me and said thank gently caress they were gone. He already didn't like Koreans, but apparently every time one of them went to the bathroom they tried to drag a waitress into a stall with them so he had told all the girls to hide in the back until they left. I should mention that this was a rowdy gangster bar for blue collar Taiwanese and I had personally seen it get a bit sketchy, so for him to send the girls to the back it had to have been seriously dangerous for them. But I think the bartender was more mad that it doubled his work.

Anyway, that's my Koreans outside of Korea story!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I want to hear more about rad Korean ladies

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ElGroucho posted:

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

ElGroucho posted:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Nobody post the picture of all the jaw bones please.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

for sure don't click the little question mark under my name

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Jawsome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

dont post my gooncave without permission tia

• Locked thread