Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
There is a good thread in Trad Games just for discussing the many ways that games workshop is terrible. Might he a better place for GW is bad chat.

(GW is really really bad)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

fullroundaction posted:

Did Warhammer invent the (more recent equivalent of) mobile game pay-to-win model? I can't think of any major examples before it.

No, it used to basically be a goofy tabletop RPG, then a standard tabletop wargame. It's only been relatively recently that GW has really started to poo poo the bed.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Trig Discipline posted:

Literally the only smart Australian wildlife are the birds, everything else is dumb as a bag of rocks.

Didn't we just have an Emu/Cassowary discussion? Everything on Australia is dumb as a bag of rocks.

I think it's the millions of years of isolation (Gondwanaland connection). Everything has been evolving in a flat empty unchanging environment without ant (much) introduced species until relatively recently, so the ability to adapt to new situations has left the genetic code or something.

Then again most animals are pretty thick.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

It's no coincidence that Mad Max is set there, Australia is just a very large Thunderdome.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
But it's not!

There's very little terrain variation (relatively speaking) and it's very resource scarce (water, nutrients etc). So you get these animals that occupy incredibly specific microclimates to avoid competition with other stupidly specialized species (such as orchids with a two acre range distribution) or occupy incredibly vast area (emus, kangaroos, some parrots), because they're adapted to an environment that goes on (and on and on) but can't compete with any other species because they never had to, or are stuck in a tiny canyon because the climate slowly changed and it didn't adapt to the new conditions so it's an evolutionary dead end. So the minute something comes in that threatens them even a little bit the species just rolls over and goes extinct.

Example: 40,000 years ago the Tasmanian tiger ranged across the entire continent, then dogs (dingoes) arrived with humans and pushed them off the mainland so they were confined to Tasmania until we wiped them out.

Example: Many (many) plant species have gone extinct in the south west (which in some cases has knee high scrub with a high per meter biodiversity than the Amazon rainforest) before we could even describe them because a weed would turn up and out compete them in a matter of years. Or someone would put in a housing development and a flower or butterfly's entire habitat would be bulldozed.

Australia is a very harsh environment to get established in, but if you (the pest species) can hack the climate you'll be the Thunderdome master and absolutely steamroll over the locals. (Eg: Rabbits, Camels (australia has more camels than anywhere else in the world), cats, white people, foxes etc.

Source: I'm a Thunderdome biologist.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Jaramin posted:

It's no coincidence that Mad Max is set there, Australia is just a very large Thunderdome.

yes yes, Australia is big and dangerous. Can't we just get beyond Thunderdome jokes?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ugh gently caress the Indians and this guy. They are just as bad as the Redskins and should be disbanded (as should all baseball)

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

yes yes, Australia is big and dangerous. Can't we just get beyond Thunderdome jokes?

Well, it's a more favorable characterization that the one it's replaced for the most part. To quote an angry Brit I overheard being accused of being Australian over the phone "Australia is nothing but thieves and sheep shaggers!". Pick your battles.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Didn't we just have an Emu/Cassowary discussion? Everything on Australia is dumb as a bag of rocks.

I didn't say all Australian birds are smart, I said that the only smart animals are birds. We've got tons of dumbshit birds too, no doubt.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

But it was a Beyond Thunderdome joke. :saddowns:

Relax, I'm from the other penal colony.

Jaramin has a new favorite as of 05:06 on Oct 27, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Trig Discipline posted:

I didn't say all Australian birds are smart, I said that the only smart animals are birds. We've got tons of dumbshit birds too, no doubt.

Oh right, I'm doing poo poo for reading comprehension today.

Dingoes are pretty smart, but they've only been here for a few thousand years so haven't had a chance to normalize.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Jastiger posted:

Ugh gently caress the Indians and this guy. They are just as bad as the Redskins and should be disbanded (as should all baseball)

Counterpoint: go tribe.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Outrail posted:

Oh right, I'm doing poo poo for reading comprehension today.

Dingoes are pretty smart, but they've only been here for a few thousand years so haven't had a chance to normalize.

How come the colonists normalized so quickly?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

CommissarMega posted:

Actual Age of Sigmar Rules:
To be honest, I can kind of see the reason behind the madness, in that GW might be trying to recapture its halcyon days as a silly tabletop wargame, with 80's hair metal elves and Inquisitor Sherlock Obiwan Clouseau- it's just that these rules would be silly even by those days' standards, and the models are still hellishly expensive.

It all seems pretty much on par with the whole "orc vehicles painted red go faster because orcs think they go faster" poo poo that every warhammer player has tried to tell me was awesome for years.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Elfgames posted:

It all seems pretty much on par with the whole "orc vehicles painted red go faster because orcs think they go faster" poo poo that every warhammer player has tried to tell me was awesome for years.

The real question is: do the vehicles actually go faster or are the drivers of the red vehicles just better? And if they do go faster, do they go faster because they are built better, because of the paint, or because of the Waaaaagh?

It had been decided that the Imperium is just too incompetent to use Ork tech, and not that the tech only works because Orks think it does. Honestly, if you read each codex as if it was written by the Imperium them it solves a lot of the plot holes.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

For people who still buy GW minis, they're launching Warhammer 401(k).

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Saw that on TV last night at a bar, he literally sat there staring at the camera for 10-15 seconds, didn't move. It was creepy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Autechresaint posted:

Saw that on TV last night at a bar, he literally sat there staring at the camera for 10-15 seconds, didn't move. It was creepy.

That's a classic Cleveland sports response

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Two Feet From Bread posted:

The real question is: do the vehicles actually go faster or are the drivers of the red vehicles just better? And if they do go faster, do they go faster because they are built better, because of the paint, or because of the Waaaaagh?

It had been decided that the Imperium is just too incompetent to use Ork tech, and not that the tech only works because Orks think it does. Honestly, if you read each codex as if it was written by the Imperium them it solves a lot of the plot holes.

As a scientist I can confirm that red vehicles DO make people drive more aggressively.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Ak Gara posted:

As a scientist I can confirm that red vehicles DO make people drive more aggressively.

OK, but, and I'm being serious here, what is the effect on sentient fungus murder horde that use their own teeth as currency?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

OK, but, and I'm being serious here, what is the effect on sentient fungus murder horde that use their own teeth as currency?

I'd imagine they would probably buy blue cars. I'm sure a biologist or a mechanic could shed more light on it though.:shrug:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Chichevache posted:

How come the colonists normalized so quickly?

Humans are (usually) incredibly adaptable, so are able to not only change their environment to suit themselves, but also change their behavior to suit the new place of habitation.

It doesn't hurt that the colonists were thieves, poors and desperadoes, a group of drunks with no compunction to changing behavior when required.

Also if you look a the baseline British stock they came from they didn't have far to go to begin with.

Ak Gara posted:

Does the red make them better drivers drive faster, or are idiots faster drivers attracted to red. I'm thinking it's both.

Outrail has a new favorite as of 16:48 on Oct 27, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Quote that edit.

Outrail has a new favorite as of 16:49 on Oct 27, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

It's been a long week and this tickled me just right...ragdoll monkey owns

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Outrail posted:

Does the red make them better drivers drive faster, or are idiots faster drivers attracted to red. I'm thinking it's both.

IIRC the studies are A/B on identical-but-for-colour cars with the same driver.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

??

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

The fabled drop bear.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Outrail posted:

There's very little terrain variation (relatively speaking) and it's very resource scarce (water, nutrients etc). So you get these animals that occupy incredibly specific microclimates to avoid competition with other stupidly specialized species (such as orchids with a two acre range distribution) or occupy incredibly vast area (emus, kangaroos, some parrots), because they're adapted to an environment that goes on (and on and on) but can't compete with any other species because they never had to, or are stuck in a tiny canyon because the climate slowly changed and it didn't adapt to the new conditions so it's an evolutionary dead end. So the minute something comes in that threatens them even a little bit the species just rolls over and goes extinct.

Yep, every now and then some guy will stumble into an isolated canyon or a tiny outcrop of rock in the ocean and discover something like a species of huge trees or a tree lobster that had gone extinct everywhere else on the planet but has happily been powering along in a tiny little dot of land completely oblivious to the outside world.
Of course if some random idiot had wandered through there and not realised the significance of the trees or the bugs and tracked in some disease in the mud on his shoes then those specimens might have all died and no one would have ever known about them.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Here's a lovely prank call video with a self own starting at 1:20. Vid starts at 0:47 to help skip the stupid bits, don't waste your time with the other calls after the first one ends.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv-OUvDNUqA&t=47s

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Parts Kit posted:

Here's a lovely prank call video with a self own starting at 1:20. Vid starts at 0:47 to help skip the stupid bits, don't waste your time with the other calls after the first one ends.

mekeyla

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Parts Kit posted:

Welp, you fooled me into clicking that link. I hope you're satisfied with yourself.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Parts Kit posted:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I'm a Gorker Nob and I approve this message

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Chichevache posted:

Welp, you fooled me into clicking that link. I hope you're satisfied with yourself.
How can you not get some nice freude from the girl going "I'm not gay, I'm not a sinner" and then her mom saying she knows and it's no surprise when the girl tries to piss off her mom by saying she is gay?

And I did say it was a lovely prank video.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Parts Kit posted:

How can you not get some nice freude from the girl going "I'm not gay, I'm not a sinner" and then her mom saying she knows and it's no surprise when the girl tries to piss off her mom by saying she is gay?

And I did say it was a lovely prank video.

Because I think she was being facetious, not an actual homophobe getting her just desserts.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
A lot of Internet "stars" are gonna be crying about this, so I figure it counts as schadenfreude.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Is Vine the one that blares out at full volume with no loving volume slider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Thank God. I still get calls and text messages from girls thinking I'm some dude named Matthew Espinosa who is supposedly a Vine loving superstar. Maybe if he goes away so will whoever jokingly releases my phone number as his.