Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

junan_paalla posted:

Is there a thread for My Summer Car? That game owns.

e: there is!

The second the first words from that game's trailer were spoken, I was reminded of this old chestnut. There's something absolutely magical about that accent. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bicyclops posted:

I find it really disheartening how fuckin' rude people are to grocery checkout people too. like, would it really kill people to say "all in one bag is fine, thank you" instead of acting like the question is some kind of an affront to dignity? and it's nott heir fault that the credit card companies switched to chip cards, they're doing their best to explain it without being patronizing. that they don't scream from having to hear the same thing about it 200 times a day is a loving miracle.

The chip card thing is especially stupid since using the chip actually is quicker and easier :psyduck:

I used to deliver pizza and let me tell you nobody gives the pizza man poo poo unless they're super drunk or crazy because people are deathly afraid you'll cum on their food or whatever

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh, call me a pinko commie but its not that stupid. :ussr: I've always thought that it would be a pretty good troll to get super rich and then redistribute all your wealth. You guys love your capitalism, but part of capitalism is whoever earns the money gets to choose what to do with it! So learn to deal with my communism-within-capitalism!

Problem is that means both working a lot and earning a fortune and then giving away most of it, and even if you do that's still a drop in the bucket. But a few Warren Buffet types do pretty good stuff like that.

Yeah I mean the issue isn't just the amount of money everyone has at any give instant, it's about the flow of money. The rich aren't rich simply because they have more money, but because they have constructed systems to direct the flow of money. Yes, it takes money to construct these systems, but they are complex and ingrained. The entire banking system, the entire political system, has been shaped by the ultra-rich, both people and corporations, to secure their status.

So getting super rich and giving the money to a bunch of people would be really nice, but it wouldn't be much of a troll, the rest of the gears will just keep turning.

edit: ^ Chips take way longer here. It's also a pain because still not every place uses them. At first it was "oh, sorry, you have to use the chip reader" and now that I've finally gone to assume I should use the chip reader, it's "no, sorry, ours aren't hooked up yet, you have to swipe".

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

precision posted:

The chip card thing is especially stupid since using the chip actually is quicker and easier :psyduck:

I used to deliver pizza and let me tell you nobody gives the pizza man poo poo unless they're super drunk or crazy because people are deathly afraid you'll cum on their food or whatever

Chip cards are definitely not quicker, but they are more secure.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

One of my most stressful experiences eating was at a Burger Fi where this guy was obviously like just getting started working there, and a bunch of the orders were flat-out getting lost by the people in the back. There were like multiple people who had been waiting 45 minutes, and this guy just didn't have the customer service experience or chops to whether the situation, like treating every order like it was a cause for panic, starting to yell back at the people who were yelling at him. The store was only like half full and he kept saying "Do you see how busy it is? We'll get to your order, man!" Almost everyone reacted with absolutely zero filter and were just waiting in line to scream at the guy about ruined lunch breaks, how incompetent he was, that he was a fraud, etc. etc. It was a situation where I can even see asking for money back, but everyone's tempers were so high, I actually thought someone was going to jump behind the counter and start hitting the kid. He was so far out of his depth and there was nothing I could do to help him.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bicyclops posted:

I find it really disheartening how fuckin' rude people are to grocery checkout people too. like, would it really kill people to say "all in one bag is fine, thank you" instead of acting like the question is some kind of an affront to dignity? and it's nott heir fault that the credit card companies switched to chip cards, they're doing their best to explain it without being patronizing. that they don't scream from having to hear the same thing about it 200 times a day is a loving miracle.

A whole lot of people don't seem to get that minimum wage employees are not actually responsible for corporate policy.

Despite most people having worked a minimum wage job at some point. They just don't put 2 and 2 together.

Like that college student who paid his debt in pennies to "get back at the man" because they had to count them one by one, you realize you're just punishing 2 random office workers and the rest of the college doesn't even give a gently caress, right?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

A whole lot of people don't seem to get that minimum wage employees are not actually responsible for corporate policy.

Despite most people having worked a minimum wage job at some point. They just don't put 2 and 2 together.

Like that college student who paid his debt in pennies to "get back at the man" because they had to count them one by one, you realize you're just punishing 2 random office workers and the rest of the college doesn't even give a gently caress, right?

When I worked in insurance there were always people marching into the office demanding that we immediately reverse decisions on who was at fault, which is determined by the state, or to shout about Registry of Motor Vehicle policies. I get being angry about stuff, but like, even when I called Comcast to quit their service, it's not being an rear end in a top hat to the salesman trying to keep me on would have done anything except for make him have a bad day.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MMF Freeway posted:

Chip cards are definitely not quicker, but they are more secure.

They are when you can use the magic of contactless payment

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

If we're going down that rabbit hole, "most people" don't understand vast huge swathes of the human experience.

I'm pretty sure "most people" don't even know that, if your brain wants you to yell at another person, you have "Free Will" and can choose to not yell. When confronted with this they just look or act confused, as if I have broken the AI scripting in the Matrix.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

They are when you can use the magic of contactless payment

America got chip readers rolled out finally in like may and they take up to like 30 seconds to get authorization. We wont have contactless for years

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

precision posted:

I'm pretty sure "most people" don't even know that, if your brain wants you to yell at another person, you have "Free Will" and can choose to not yell. When confronted with this they just look or act confused, as if I have broken the AI scripting in the Matrix.

Well, if you wanna get all philosophical there's no way to prove free will, and I in fact don't believe in free will. What you're talking about is agency to make choice, but as far as we know the brain is just a machine made of physics rules. That doesn't mean it doesn't have agency though.

But psychologically the idea that you don't have to act out every emotion that occurs to you and can instead override that behavior is indeed beyond most people. Most of my family is completely incapable of not expressing their every emotion, and it drives me batty. Learn some self discipline.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Real hurthling! posted:

America got chip readers rolled out finally in like may and they take up to like 30 seconds to get authorization. We wont have contactless for years

Where? In both San Diego and Bumfuck Tennessee (where my in-laws live) it takes the same amount of time as swiping, you just insert instead of swipe. Weird.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Plus like half the stores still have older machines with "Sorry, no chip reader!" taped onto them, so as a consumer you feel like a big huge idiot everywhere you go if you guess wrong and fumble awkwardly with your card.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Real hurthling! posted:

:rip:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I don't care how long chip readers take, I'm just happy that checks are slowly getting phased out. I hated those so much when I worked retail

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tap cards are the best. Pizza delivery, coffee shops, drive-thru... so great that the transaction takes as much time as one *beep*.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

You know what was cool? Chase decided to upgrade everybody to chip cards by cancelling all our debit cards, and apparently the only way they informed the customers of this action was an email sent 6 months before it happened (and I checked my email and I never receieved it). No followup email, no snail mail, no phone call, nada.

So you can imagine there was a lobby of like 50 pissed off Chase customers in the bank on that day complaining about how they were caught with their pants down at a restauraunt having to try to pay for something when their cards mysteriously stopped working.

What the christ Chase.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wha- how? Surely if they did that they'd have to send them new working cards before the old ones expired?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Wha- how? Surely if they did that they'd have to send them new working cards before the old ones expired?

They did, but Chase in particular sends so much junk mail to literally every person in America that most people probably just threw their new cards in the trash, lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Haha

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean our house gets junk mail from Chase, and none of use has a Chase card, so... yeah.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I use Chase and they didn't send me a new card while canceling my old one,and the way i found this out was i tried to buy a steam game and my card was declined and the fraud protection was enabled on my bank account which was super cool

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah you can imagine we were pretty unhappy!

Bicyclops posted:

They did, but Chase in particular sends so much junk mail to literally every person in America that most people probably just threw their new cards in the trash, lol

No, they didn't. I asked them and their response was "we sent an email back in October". That was it. There was no replacement cards in the mail. We had to show up to get them. It was absurd.

Also chase has been cutting back on their junk and now signs everybody up for paperless emails unless you opt out. Which is equally annoying.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 27, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

LawfulWaffle posted:

What are good YouTube videos to whittle away my workday with? My workload has been very light as of late and I spend most of the day on SA or watching tutorials of pinball tables. Taking recommendations for funny or entertaining videos or creators that I could spend an hour or so watching to make the part of my work day I spend without work go a little faster.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PZRI1IfStY0

All of this guy's stuff is super cool especially if you are into math or programming or computers in general. The channel is easily one of the best tech channels. He makes things easy to understand without talking down to his audience.

Also hbomberguy is really good though he hasn't made much in a while and I Second Space Coast Coast to Coast.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Wells Fargo was pretty good about the chip transition and it helps that they don't spam mail. Shame about the fake account quota thing though :sigh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Wells Fargo was pretty good about the chip transition and it helps that they don't spam mail. Shame about the fake account quota thing though :sigh:

Yeah I was just about to say "that whole thing was really lame and made me wanna switch, but at least Chase isn't Wells Fargo!" :cheeky:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

bloodychill posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PZRI1IfStY0

All of this guy's stuff is super cool especially if you are into math or programming or computers in general. The channel is easily one of the best tech channels. He makes things easy to understand without talking down to his audience.

Also hbomberguy is really good though he hasn't made much in a while and I Second Space Coast Coast to Coast.

Hbomberguy did just release a video yesterday to be fair

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Who was that guy on here that used to do Minecraft LP where he was just really stoned and super chill I know that's not very specific but it's driving me crazy because those are probably the last ones I even bother to watch

Edit a did a song for his subscribers I remember that

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

that was dave_o who also did the super funny video game jeopardy with slowbeef and diabeetus

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think the last LP I watched was one from here on SA where some Zelda expert was more or less helping and explaining while this more laidback player tried to get through a difficult ROMhack of Link to the Past. Never mind that I'm a fan of LttP but they both had perfectly complementing personalities and it was amazing seeing the wild and brutal poo poo the designer put into the game. I think it was my last LP because it's so hard to top.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Bank of America is probably the worst out of the big banks. Their rates are toilet trash and when the card switch happened they sent out letters about ten days before the sent the cards. Hope you had your address updated, PS you have to pay for the replacement card if you didn't get it, it's your fault that the address in our system was wrong.

Just get a local or a regional bank, they're usually a lot better about stuff.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

all banks suck if you have no money and are great if you have lots

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, I gotta switch out of BoA. We had them because of apartment complex laundry and they were so ubiquitous, they were really the only easy way to get quarters, but now that we're out of that situation, i just have to make sure to find a bank that does certified checks and foreign currency exchange and i'm switchin'. everybody does direct deposit and paperless now, so.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Junpei Hyde posted:

Hbomberguy did just release a video yesterday to be fair

I was just watching some of his old vids yesterday and didn't see that. Nice!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi everybody

Hello

How are you doing

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Hi everybody

Hello

How are you doing

On the one hand, I'm pissed at my boss.

On the other hand, next week is my last week and I'm off work for today. So, gently caress it I guess.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Welp, pretty sure my alcoholic roommate relapsed and totalled my car. Awesome. He is apparently alive, but he's somewhere walking and my car, which I left for him to drive to work is missing.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

On the one hand, I'm pissed at my boss.

On the other hand, next week is my last week and I'm off work for today. So, gently caress it I guess.

Why are you angry at your boss?

Snak posted:

Welp, pretty sure my alcoholic roommate relapsed and totalled my car. Awesome. He is apparently alive, but he's somewhere walking and my car, which I left for him to drive to work is missing.

:( Hang in there, hopefully you can sort things out so that your car is back in your hands and in working order

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well, it turns out the car is fine. Amazingly.

Don't know the rest of the story yet. Apparently he got drunk, drove himself to the clinic because of his heart condition, and then left the car there. Which is where I found it. So at least no one was hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Snak posted:

Well, it turns out the car is fine. Amazingly.

Don't know the rest of the story yet. Apparently he got drunk, drove himself to the clinic because of his heart condition, and then left the car there. Which is where I found it. So at least no one was hurt.

You should not live with the alcoholic roommate. Sincerely, a former alcoholic roommate.

• Locked thread