Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I think it's an age thing. I haven't felt the need to talk about last nights episode of whatever since I was in my late 20s. Meanwhile my 7 year younger sister just had a walking dead season premier watching party for her coworkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think it's an age thing. I haven't felt the need to talk about last nights episode of whatever since I was in my late 20s. Meanwhile my 7 year younger sister just had a walking dead season premier watching party for her coworkers.

Same here. I haven't given a crap ever since I got used to a DVR. Being able to skip commercials > talking to a coworker about whatever happened in an episode.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It also depends on the show. I know a ton of friends and co-workers talk about the really big shows like Game of Thrones.

I suppose it depends more on your peer group. One older co-worker loves chatting about Dancing with the Stars the day after with some other older ladies.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thwomp posted:

It also depends on the show. I know a ton of friends and co-workers talk about the really big shows like Game of Thrones.

I suppose it depends more on your peer group. One older co-worker loves chatting about Dancing with the Stars the day after with some other older ladies.

None of my work friends watch Better Call Saul and it irritates me to no end that we can't discuss it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I get my kicks just texting spoiler free thoughts without context to a friend of mine until he gets annoyed, then reading Avclub reviews. But, I haven't had cable since 2002, so I've never been up to date barring the occasional Simpsons episode or The Daily Show.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Croatoan posted:

Same here. I haven't given a crap ever since I got used to a DVR. Being able to skip commercials > talking to a coworker about whatever happened in an episode.

How does a DVR affect anything in terms of watching new episodes in a timely manner?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

sellouts posted:

How does a DVR affect anything in terms of watching new episodes in a timely manner?

Because once you start DVR'ing things you no longer have one of the pressures to watch things the moment they air.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

*So far*, we have maintained dvr-like functionality by having full access to individual channel apps (borrowed MIL's unused cable sign-in). Usually they put newly aired episodes up the following day.

Actually sling would be of little use to me, and vue I would use mostly for the app logins.

Paying a set monthly fee (say $2-3) per channel to access their app would work for me, if they were allowed to do it. The only thing I miss from cable is pausing live sports, which is the only content we watch live.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

angryrobots posted:

*So far*, we have maintained dvr-like functionality by having full access to individual channel apps (borrowed MIL's unused cable sign-in). Usually they put newly aired episodes up the following day.

Actually sling would be of little use to me, and vue I would use mostly for the app logins.

Paying a set monthly fee (say $2-3) per channel to access their app would work for me, if they were allowed to do it. The only thing I miss from cable is pausing live sports, which is the only content we watch live.

Which sports, specifically? Microsoft Microsofted out of putting DVR support for the OTA tuner on the XBox One, but there is a 30-minute pause buffer. If you're talking in-market NFL games, those are broadcast over the air, that would suit your needs.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

College football, so mostly on the watchespn app, plus a few OTA.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Because once you start DVR'ing things you no longer have one of the pressures to watch things the moment they air.

I don't follow this. I guess I see DVRs more often used to watch shows within a few weeks (while discussion is timely) rather than deep storage to catch up on months later.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I could use some help. I have company coming over from out of town today and they want to watch the indians game and the ohio state game. I know nothing about watching sports, so I am not sure how to do this.

I am 99% sure the ps vue would let me watch these. My question is, I think I read somewhere that the vue also gives you the ability to log into a lot of apps that ask for a cable subscription. Would I be able to get a vue subscription and then use it to log into the espn and fox (I think thats where the indians game is playing) apps on my apple tv?

Or would I be better off using my ps4 to watch the games?

Or would I be better off with the sling.tv over the vue? I am hoping to use their free trials to get this done.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

badjohny posted:

I could use some help. I have company coming over from out of town today and they want to watch the indians game and the ohio state game. I know nothing about watching sports, so I am not sure how to do this.

I am 99% sure the ps vue would let me watch these. My question is, I think I read somewhere that the vue also gives you the ability to log into a lot of apps that ask for a cable subscription. Would I be able to get a vue subscription and then use it to log into the espn and fox (I think thats where the indians game is playing) apps on my apple tv?

Or would I be better off with the sling.tv over the vue? I am hoping to use their free trials to get this done.

Well if you have an OTA tuner, the world series is on Fox. This article explains the caveats of trying to watch through sling or vue..basically they don't offer local live channels in all markets so that depends on your location.

The Ohio state game is on espn nationally at 3:30 eastern, so sling and vue will let you watch live, and I believe vue will give you a login to the watchespn app as well.

Again, don't know your location but the game will be on some local OTA channels, may be worth checking your local broadcast schedule if you can tune in.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

angryrobots posted:

Well if you have an OTA tuner, the world series is on Fox. This article explains the caveats of trying to watch through sling or vue..basically they don't offer local live channels in all markets so that depends on your location.

The Ohio state game is on espn nationally at 3:30 eastern, so sling and vue will let you watch live, and I believe vue will give you a login to the watchespn app as well.

Again, don't know your location but the game will be on some local OTA channels, may be worth checking your local broadcast schedule if you can tune in.

would the vue give me a login to the fox go app?

**edit**

NM. apparently with my TW internet, i get some local channels for free? I entered my TW login to the app and it says I am good to go. Didn't know that would work.

badjohny fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 29, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

sellouts posted:

I don't follow this. I guess I see DVRs more often used to watch shows within a few weeks (while discussion is timely) rather than deep storage to catch up on months later.

I wouldn't call watching within a few weeks very effective at letting you participate in timely discussion.

And even if you would it's still a gateway to being less and less concerned with talking about last night's Walking Dead.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

badjohny posted:

would the vue give me a login to the fox go app?

**edit**

NM. apparently with my TW internet, i get some local channels for free? I entered my TW login to the app and it says I am good to go. Didn't know that would work.

Is there some reason why OTA isn't an option for you? Your TV has a tuner for it in it, you just need to plug in an antenna. That'll get you the best picture quality possible for the game.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

badjohny posted:

You want the fox sports app. Not the fox go app. At least that's what I used to watch the Indians game last night.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I wouldn't call watching within a few weeks very effective at letting you participate in timely discussion.

And even if you would it's still a gateway to being less and less concerned with talking about last night's Walking Dead.

Yeh, "I'm 2 episodes behind" and then following up once you catch up is totally not something that happens all the time.

I'm going to dvr the rest of your posts and fast forward through. the leaps in logic and reality inconsistent with my experiences later. No spoilers pls.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

sellouts posted:

Yeh, "I'm 2 episodes behind" and then following up once you catch up is totally not something that happens all the time.

You're being weird.

That is not inconsistent with anything I've said.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

This Google Sheets doc has all the info you need about Vue and what apps it supports.

I feel like this kind of info should be in the first post, but there isn't anything about Vue or Sling there. Is the OP around to update it?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

You're being weird.

That is not inconsistent with anything I've said.

It's totally inconsistent with you not calling watching within a few weeks very effective at letting you participate in timely discussion, given that, you know, episodes tend to air weekly and falling a few episodes (weeks) behind but catching up at once still allows for a timely discussion.

But sure! DVRs totally took the pressure off of watching everything the moment it airs but timeshifting totally didn't create a new and arguably bigger window for discourse!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

sellouts posted:

It's totally inconsistent with you not calling watching within a few weeks very effective at letting you participate in timely discussion, given that, you know, episodes tend to air weekly and falling a few episodes (weeks) behind but catching up at once still allows for a timely discussion.

But sure! DVRs totally took the pressure off of watching everything the moment it airs but timeshifting totally didn't create a new and arguably bigger window for discourse!

I'm seriously baffled at your reaction. You should maybe stop posting about it?

I mean you're basically mad about the nebulous definition of "timely".

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

Is there some reason why OTA isn't an option for you? Your TV has a tuner for it in it, you just need to plug in an antenna. That'll get you the best picture quality possible for the game.

Time. Found out they were coming last night. Was looking for the easiest solution. PS VUE was the hookup. Got me everything I needed.

Thanks for the help.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I'm seriously baffled at your reaction. You should maybe stop posting about it?

I mean you're basically mad about the nebulous definition of "timely".

It's ok to be wrong, sweetie. You don't have to hide behind "u mad?" You're better than that.

Anyways...

Has anyone been staying on top of the HD Homerun integration with Plex? I know there's a Plex thread, but it's been quiet about it since it was announced.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

sellouts posted:

It's ok to be wrong, sweetie. You don't have to hide behind "u mad?" You're better than that.

The lack of self-awareness is amazing!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

sellouts posted:

Has anyone been staying on top of the HD Homerun integration with Plex? I know there's a Plex thread, but it's been quiet about it since it was announced.

If you're referring to Plex DVR, I've been using it daily. It does the thing it says it will - records the show and puts it in your library. Playback works perfectly on clients that support mpeg2 and works okay on clients that don't and need transcoding. Deinterlacing still isn't great in the latter case. Still no Live TV option.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

sellouts posted:

Anyways...

You're weird.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

If you're referring to Plex DVR, I've been using it daily. It does the thing it says it will - records the show and puts it in your library. Playback works perfectly on clients that support mpeg2 and works okay on clients that don't and need transcoding. Deinterlacing still isn't great in the latter case. Still no Live TV option.

Has it been updated since the roll out or no?

I think I really need live TV to make the switch. Preferably for any local client, even if it has to be hard wired.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's seen a couple of updates. Still lacks the ability to watch live TV through Plex itself and the ability to join a recording already in progress. I've also noticed it has trouble if another program is accessing the HDHomeRun (it can't see that Tuner 1 is in use) which is a known issue they're working on (it may also be an HDHomeRun issue).

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
So I bought a late model Roku 2 for use on a CRT since it's the last one to still have composite out. Let me just say, using a device like this on a CRT is cool as poo poo and feels futuristic. It's light years ahead of what an OG xbox or a Wii can do. (that being said, I still use my xbox because it rocks and because it does component out very nicely. my ancient XBMC build is still kickin for non-HD stuff)

99% of the reasons I have the TV are for gaming and light gun reasons but figured why not slap something on there so it can watch Netflix/Hulu/Plex too, that's also ultra easy to operate. It was well worth the $15 I paid and I'm going to use the crap of this.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 3, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Tyson Tomko posted:

So I bought a late model Roku 2 for use on a CRT since it's the last one to still have composite out. Let me just say, using a device like this on a CRT is cool as poo poo and feels futuristic. It's light years ahead of what an OG xbox or a Wii can do. (that being said, I still use my xbox because it rocks and because it does component out very nicely. my ancient XBMC build is still kickin for non-HD stuff)

99% of the reasons I have the TV are for gaming and light gun reasons but figured why not slap something on there so it can watch Netflix/Hulu/Plex too, that's also ultra easy to operate. It was well worth the $15 I paid and I'm going to use the crap of this.

The Roku Express+ (walmart exclusive, $40) has composite out too, but probably isn't any faster.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I have a (possibly) dumb audio question. I have a Chromecast, but it only allows me to listen with my TV's crappy built in speakers. I can't get any audio from it to pass through my TV's RCA audio cables to my Vizio sound bar. If I get a Roku Streaming Stick would the audio be able to pass to the sound bar? Do I need a digital audio cable perhaps?

I don't know if this is a common problem or if I just have a crappy TV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It sounds like it's a limitation in the TV. It doesn't seem like it will decode the audio being sent via HDMI and pass it out the RCA jacks for some reason. So, it will be an issue with any HDMI device.

If the TV has optical output and the soundbar has optical input, that will likely get you what you want. A cheap $1 optical cable may be all you need.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Does it pass other audio? Like from the TV or Blu-ray player? Video game console?

I've seen receivers that would only pass video over HDMI if it's from an HDMI source and only over analog if it's an analog source. I could see your TV behaving the same way.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Uthor posted:

Does it pass other audio? Like from the TV or Blu-ray player? Video game console?

I've seen receivers that would only pass video over HDMI if it's from an HDMI source and only over analog if it's an analog source. I could see your TV behaving the same way.

I just tested my PS3, and no audio passed through for that either. The audio from the over the air channels pass fine so the cables work. It's probably just the TV. It's a cheap Orion from Walmart.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It sounds like it's a limitation in the TV. It doesn't seem like it will decode the audio being sent via HDMI and pass it out the RCA jacks for some reason. So, it will be an issue with any HDMI device.

If the TV has optical output and the soundbar has optical input, that will likely get you what you want. A cheap $1 optical cable may be all you need.

I just picked up a digital audio coaxial cable (no optical output on TV) and it works! Only catch is that it doesn't work right away when you select the HDMI input. You have to go into the menu each time to reselect the digital audio output. Even if it's already selected you have to go in and switch it off then on. gently caress this TV. :(

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Grant DaNasty posted:

I just picked up a digital audio coaxial cable (no optical output on TV) and it works! Only catch is that it doesn't work right away when you select the HDMI input. You have to go into the menu each time to reselect the digital audio output. Even if it's already selected you have to go in and switch it off then on. gently caress this TV. :(

https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Optical-Converter-VHD-H2HSAs/dp/B00KBHX072

There you go, there are other adapters like this that branch off digital audio from HDMI and pass through the video signal.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

astral posted:

The Roku Express+ (walmart exclusive, $40) has composite out too, but probably isn't any faster.

Thanks! Here I am considering myself a Roku expert and I haven't even heard of the Express+ until now. I just looked it up and yep I'm out of the loop alright. I'm surprised they moved away from the hockey puck design and having to (I assume anyway) use a dongle to get composite video/audio jacks would be pretty annoying.

If I could do it all over again I may have grabbed the Express+ just to try it out (this used one works great but is beat the hell up) but no regrets!

-- looks like it uses a 3.5 adapter so that's pretty smart vs some lame proprietary dongle

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tyson Tomko posted:

So I bought a late model Roku 2 for use on a CRT since it's the last one to still have composite out. Let me just say, using a device like this on a CRT is cool as poo poo and feels futuristic.

Yea, there is something funny and anachronistic about watching Youtube and other stuff on an ancient CRT. It's like retrofitting new parts onto an ancient car.

The only bad part is when the TV has overscan and chops off the far edges of the GUI in certain apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Tyson Tomko posted:

Thanks! Here I am considering myself a Roku expert and I haven't even heard of the Express+ until now. I just looked it up and yep I'm out of the loop alright. I'm surprised they moved away from the hockey puck design and having to (I assume anyway) use a dongle to get composite video/audio jacks would be pretty annoying.

If I could do it all over again I may have grabbed the Express+ just to try it out (this used one works great but is beat the hell up) but no regrets!

-- looks like it uses a 3.5 adapter so that's pretty smart vs some lame proprietary dongle

The Roku Express performance is about on par with a 1st gen Roku Streaming Stick, i.e., not that great so you get what you pay for. Basically there's a bit of lag throughout the UI, channel apps like Netflix and YouTube can take a bit to load, and items like poster art and content lists can take a bit to populate/show up if you navigate too fast for the device hardware to keep up. The last gen Roku 2 that you have is significantly faster than the Express, so yeah you're right in not feeling any regret :)

[edit] I'd only recommend the Roku Express to family members or friends who likely wouldn't care about navigation smoothness and things loading slow. Otherwise if you need a Roku that has analog connectors, the last generation Roku 2 is the best device for that.

As an aside, I also love the Roku boxes. They're great front-end clients for Plex. I just wish the Playstation Vue channel would use the more modern Roku channel design language or something similar instead of the ugly as poo poo Gen1 Roku channel UI.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 4, 2016