Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

prom candy posted:

This is a lovely launch to have waited so long for. Still no other laptop manufacturer I'm willing to touch with a ten foot pole though so I guess I'll keep living in 2012. That touchbar seems like something Razer would launch.

I feel the same way. I could live with the new MBP. But it's not what I really want.

I can live with the touch bar, I'll just leave it on function key mode. Although now that I think of it, the only function key I ever use is F2 for nerdtree in vim but I could map something else to it.

We got space gray. So that's good. Does it do any good being thinner? I think the rMBP is thin enough right now. I'm just kind of upset with the ports.

We also got a 5k display that works with one cable. It's almost as expensive as the laptop you are going to plug it into, but it at least exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
For those of you bitching about MagSafe, if the new MacBooks Pro get anywhere near the battery life of the MacBook, then you use it all day and charge it at night. It owns and I don't miss MagSafe at all.

Plus I can use a battery pack while traveling if I need to.

A+ , would use Skylake again.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

LmaoTheKid posted:

A+ , would use Skylake again.

C- Skylake when DDR4 is a thing.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

incoherent posted:

C- Skylake when DDR4 is a thing.

I don't give a poo poo so the A+ remains.

eames
May 9, 2009

They killed off the iGPU-only 15" as expected. Intel's GT4 SKUs turned out to be a dead-end. I'm fairly confident we'll see a refresh with Kaby Lake in early 2017.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

eames posted:

Yes, that vacuum is real and I already know 4 friends with rMBP in my (iMessage, heh) groupchat that feel the same way. There's no clear alternative, nobody is catching up, Apple knows this and exploits it with this outdated hardware and ridiculous pricing.
Funny, I bought my first 12" G4 iBook because I wanted to support the underdog (Apple) and it was half the price of the competition (vaio subnotebooks, etc). :v:

My main concern now is the AR coating on my 2013 15" is wearing off. Any ideas what a new screen would cost?

$350

Source: Just replaced mine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

arbybaconator posted:

$350

Source: Just replaced mine.

Where at? My 15" 2014 MBP has an annoying chip in the screen from closing the lid on a grain of dirt or something.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I don't really know I feel about this- I'd be looking a the 13". It's still more than I'd really want to spend, and I wish it had the mag-safe and SD slot, but I guess I don't hate the idea of the swipey bar thingy or having it be smaller/lighter. I don't love the idea of upgrading to a 2015 rMBP either. I haven't seriously looked at any of the PC laptops, but maybe I should? I've owned 7 different Apple computers since the 80's so it would be weird to jump ship, although I suppose there's nothing really keeping me in the mac realm except inertia and a general aversion to Windows.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

That Touch bar thing is actually one of the less disappointing parts of this update, imo. If developers use it well it could actually be really cool. Hell I've been posting on SA for 12+ years and I don't use smilies much because I'll be damned to remember that smilies translate to poo poo like "eng101". Maybe SA 2.0 that's in the works can have touch bar support to flip through them ala emoji :)

I just wish they didn't have to nuke a functional row of keys to get it, especially esc. I'm actually excited to get rid of keys like the LaunchPad one and replace that real estate with something that is useful for me. Like the screenshot key they showed in the demo. I know there is a keyboard shortcut but it's needlessly arcane like a lot of Mac keyboard shortcuts.

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 27, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

LmaoTheKid posted:

For those of you bitching about MagSafe, if the new MacBooks Pro get anywhere near the battery life of the MacBook

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i waited forever for a refresh, i can wait a little longer for the kaby lake refresh that is undoubtedly coming out early next year

probably.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I do like how they already made a 13" without the touch bar. I''m sure they have a 15" without the touchbar ready to go once it is decided it's a gimmick.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

logikv9 posted:

i waited forever for a refresh, i can wait a little longer for the kaby lake refresh that is undoubtedly coming out early next year

probably.

Were you really going to buy a first gen Apple product?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Linguica posted:

yeah it's hilariously insulting, it's not even discounted one iota

I thought the 13" rmbp was $1699 prior to today? Seems like a $400 discount to me.

Dave Thorpe Painting posted:

I'm going to be purchasing one of the new Macbook Pros announced today, which as everyone knows, only feature USB-C connectors. Unfortuantely for me, my studio uses an audio interface that uses Firewire 800, which is daisy-chained with an external enclosure.

What're my connection options? The enclosure also outputs USB 3.0 so I could run that through to an AV adapter, which would also give me HDMI (which I also need), but I'm pretty sure that this method would not passthrough my interface.

I've gone through the Apple Store's adapter page, the only thing I'm seeing that would even possibly work would be to go from USB-C -> Thunderbolt 2 -> Firewire 800, but I would still need to get the AV adapter for HDMI.

loving courage my rear end.

If you can use vanilla USB3 don't you just need a USB-C to USB-A adapter?

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapter
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13005

USB-C to FW800 doesn't seem to exist yet but I bet you belkin or someone will make one given a fair number of people in the same scenario.

eames posted:

3 year old Mac Pro just got a £500 increase in the uk

courage

womp womp brexit

Bob Morales posted:

I do like how they already made a 13" without the touch bar. I''m sure they have a 15" without the touchbar ready to go once it is decided it's a gimmick.

I wonder if there's an integrated GPU 15" waiting in the wings to hit the $1999 price point in like 6 months or so. IIRC they did the exact same thing when the RMBP was brand new.

eames
May 9, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

13" w/o touchbar also has a 5Wh larger battery.
Perhaps they're trying to cash in on early adopters and will release a cheaper non-touchbar 15" with the Kaby Lake refresh.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Wonder how long I'm going to wait for a cheaper selection of 15inch 2015s to hit the San Francisco Craigslist.

eames
May 9, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Wonder how long I'm going to wait for a cheaper selection of 15inch 2015s to hit the San Francisco Craigslist.

a few years

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Do any of you guys think this'll mean that they'll drop Refurb Macbook Air prices at all...?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Cromlech posted:

Do any of you guys think this'll mean that they'll drop Refurb Macbook Air prices at all...?

I think all the airs dropped another $100 new, so probably?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I find it kind of funny that people here are complaining about stuff switching to USB-C before it's in wide use, when the classic freakout about the original iMac was it switching to USB 1.0 before it was in wide use. You're two decades late to the panic party, people.

Admittedly, I like this mostly because "USB-C everything" and the supporting ecosystem means I'll be able to remove some of the cables from my desktop setup sooner or later.

Dave Thorpe Painting posted:

What're my connection options? The enclosure also outputs USB 3.0 so I could run that through to an AV adapter, which would also give me HDMI (which I also need), but I'm pretty sure that this method would not passthrough my interface.

I've gone through the Apple Store's adapter page, the only thing I'm seeing that would even possibly work would be to go from USB-C -> Thunderbolt 2 -> Firewire 800, but I would still need to get the AV adapter for HDMI.

The ports are combo USB-C/Thunderbolt 3, so get a Thunderbolt 3 -> Firewire 800 converter once somebody makes one.

Standalone USB-C to HDMI adapters are pretty cheap, going by like five seconds of searching on Amazon.

kuskus posted:

On my Mac Pro, all ports are saturated. 10Gbs ethernet adapter, promise pegasus, vendor drives, two displays, regular ethernet, tablet, mouse, 3D mouse, drives.
All my drives at home are TB/2 or USB. If we got a new MacBook Pro, I couldn't use any of this stuff without multiples of the following:

USB-C to USB - $19
USB-C to TB2 - $49
USB-C to AV adapter (HDMI) - $69
USB-C to SD - $49

Or, just get one of the billions of Chinese knockoff Thunderbolt 3 hubs that are going to appear in Amazon by tomorrow morning which will have most or all of those included.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

It's probably an engineering nightmare but how awesome would individual key displays be ala that Optimus keyboard whose mock-ups have been going around the web for a decade now. Then we'd have no bitching because nerds could have our esc and other functional keys, and mom could have facebook "like" keys, and software could reveal a shitload of keyboard shortcuts when a modifier key is pressed.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

MrBond posted:

I thought the 13" rmbp was $1699 prior to today? Seems like a $400 discount to me.
no, the base 13" rmbp was $1300 as of yesterday, and also as of today.

MrBond posted:

I think all the airs dropped another $100 new, so probably?
the air is also the same exact price.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

mik posted:

They appear to be both on the same (left) side.

http://www.apple.com/ca/macbook-pro/specs/

Wow, that's even worse. The only advantage of the USB-C ports would be charging your mac from either side and they take that away? Why are they even selling this poo poo?

Apple is even worse when it flip flops like this. Where's the courage?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Having to look at your keyboard for each program to see different shortcuts is the stupidest loving thing I've heard in my life.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Linguica posted:

no, the base 13" rmbp was $1300 as of yesterday, and also as of today.

the air is also the same exact price.

That's just funny then

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Having to look at your keyboard for each program to see different shortcuts is the stupidest loving thing I've heard in my life.

:same:

I use my MBP docked most of the time so I can't wait for apps to hide menus in there.

eames
May 9, 2009

Roadie posted:

Admittedly, I like this mostly because "USB-C everything" and the supporting ecosystem means I'll be able to remove some of the cables from my desktop setup sooner or later.

You said it. Sooner or later. Enjoy your Donglebook Pro for the next 2+ years.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/AbouttheTouchBar.html

quote:

Multitouch. Although the Touch Bar can respond to touches from multiple fingers, such as a pinch, multitouch gestures can be cumbersome and should be used sparingly.

Look at this magnificent multi touch display that you probably shouldn't use because it will feel horrible.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

So which 15" on the apple refurb store is the best buy for video editing?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

eames posted:

Enjoy your Donglebook Pro for the next 2+ years.

New thread title

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Housh posted:

So which 15" on the apple refurb store is the best buy for video editing?

Buy a Dell.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I really think Apple lost the plot with this one. Pro machines should be less about these gimmicks and more about the kitchen sink for doing I don't know, pro work. No one outside of a select few were really blown away by the MacBook switching to a solitary USB-c, but fine it is the portable focused mid end option. This just stinks, because the only way you are going to make up for the lost ports is to carry around dongles and loving adapters. That is not even to mention getting rid of iGPUs or the price which out apple'd apple.

Meh, it really sucks to consider moving away from Apple hardware when I eventually upgrade but it doesn't feel like there are any other options. Microsoft seems to be out innovating Apple which is something I thought I would never say.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

MrChupon posted:

It's probably an engineering nightmare but how awesome would individual key displays be ala that Optimus keyboard whose mock-ups have been going around the web for a decade now. Then we'd have no bitching because nerds could have our esc and other functional keys, and mom could have facebook "like" keys, and software could reveal a shitload of keyboard shortcuts when a modifier key is pressed.

There's a company working on a keyboard like that, with an attempt to keep the price at merely "high" instead of "ridiculous" by putting an e-ink screen under the keys.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The point of that kind of idea isn't to make you look at your keyboard. It's to let you look at your keyboard instead of checking menus or game settings to figure out which key is the shortcut for a specific tool in Photoshop or how you toggle the rotational symmetry in Kerbal Space Program.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Wait, wait, no more illuminated logo on the lid?!?!?!

YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's the options for high-quality highly portable laptops? I don't mind paying 1000, 2000€ for a machine I'm using for multiple hours every day of my life.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Roadie posted:

The point of that kind of idea isn't to make you look at your keyboard. It's to let you look at your keyboard instead of checking menus or game settings to figure out which key is the shortcut for a specific tool in Photoshop or how you toggle the rotational symmetry in Kerbal Space Program.

Yeah, I have a feeling the toolbar will end up being more useful than people think once programs begin to support it. Even contextual hotkeys enter muscle memory pretty fast.

More egregious is the price and bullshit lack of ports. Also it would be nice to know what the gently caress a Radeon Pro 460 actually is if you're going to let us order the things.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Cingulate posted:

What's the options for high-quality highly portable laptops? I don't mind paying 1000, 2000€ for a machine I'm using for multiple hours every day of my life.

The XPS 13 has been the benchmark ultraportable to beat for the last 2 or so years. If your needs are met by a dual-core 15W CPU, it's a safe buy.

There's no perfect all-around 15" workstation right now. The XPS 15 shows promise but has quirky first-gen product instability issues right now. When refreshed, it'll probably be fine. There's also a wave of bulky, old form-factor laptops but with full blown desktop GPUs in them, as nVidia is putting full fat desktop 1060, 1070, and 1080 chips in laptops instead of cut-down mobile versions.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

XPS suffers from a really bad problem of running Windows and not being Unix.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

bone app the teeth posted:

XPS suffers from a really bad problem of running Windows and not being Unix.

There's a "Developer Edition" XPS 13 and 15 shipped and supported with Ubuntu from Dell. You don't have to wander into the Microsoft store and buy the first thing you see.

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/555/campaigns/xps-linux-laptop?c=us&l=en&s=biz

The "Dell™ Precision 5510, mobile workstation" is the business version of the XPS 15. If you want to argue if Ubuntu is Unix enough, then you're going to have a hard time finding any laptop that meets your desires.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I told my windows-using brother the price of the fully specced 15 and he laughed his head off.