Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Solice Kirsk posted:

Epic fantasy fills the same role as fast food. Its good and serves its purpose perfectly. Sure there arre waaaaay better meals out there, but sometimes a lovely burger and fries is exaclty what you want. Nothing wrong with that. Though, much like epic fantasy, the consumption of too much will result in having a hard time getting laid.
And the portions are far too large, but we manage to rationalize and normalize it until we stop thinking about how bloated and wasteful it is. The metaphor is apt, but not necessarily in a good way.

CerealCrunch posted:

Maybe the word count.
Exactly.

Malpais Legate posted:

This isn't really epic at all. It's the daily life of some gently caress and his student debt. Also he does some really boring rear end magic.

This is basically my biography.
I think one point BOTL is making here is that this is kind of the problem with a lot of modern fantasy: It apes in a fashion the epic style, the fantastical wonderment, the fear of the unknown, but is at best completely incompetent at handling any of them and is at worst so distressingly fixated on the mundane that it's hard to understand why the author wrote a fantasy at all.

Rothfuss is squarely in the mundane camp and his story shows it when broken down to a single sentence. The story has mystery and the unknown but it doesn't pay off the feel of those things because the rest of the story is so grounded as to make it seem like those things too will be explained in time. That's more the attitude of 50s sci-fi, an attitude that even that genre abandoned by the 70s for concepts like "the future will be as weird to us as the past is" (Dune, Book of the New Sun, much of Heinlein) or "space is impossibly large and impossibly old and we have absolutely no idea what we might find out there, or what might find us, or what we'll become once we're out there a while" (Rendezvous With Rama, Niven, Banks, etc.).

There are elements in Kingkiller that could have been set up as a contrast to this, but thematically they just don't get hammered home hard enough to suggest that Kvothe's obsession with his student loans is a stupid, mundane, and ultimately irrelevant (but possibly meaningfully formative) concern in the face of the greater mysteries of the world that are the things that build legends. Instead, he has sex real good and continues to barely care about the thing that's supposedly his main motivation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Rothfuss's lack of command over made up language matters. Just because someone is uneducated on a subject does not mean that he won't realize the product is poo poo. Rothfuss's made up words are just like everything else he writes - an artificial Christmas tree that is hollow and not even close to a passable imitation of the real thing.

Tolkien stands out even to the uneducated layman because of his mastery of words, the amount of hard work he put to the craft, and his natural talent. None of these are qualities Rothfuss possesses. And it shows.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Malazan is rad. Epic fantasy can be rad. Gormenghast, Chronicles of Amber, Song of Ice and Fire, Black Company, Book of the New Sun, Earthsea, First Law Trilogy- all rad.

It's just when you try to classify your epic fantasy as literature that you open it up to criticism that otherwise might not be levied at it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Benson Cunningham posted:

Epic fantasy can be rad. Gormenghast

:smugjones:

First Law Trilogy

Slightly rad, I guess.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Malazan is rad. Epic fantasy can be rad. Gormenghast, Chronicles of Amber, Song of Ice and Fire, Black Company, Book of the New Sun, Earthsea, First Law Trilogy- all rad.

It's just when you try to classify your epic fantasy as literature that you open it up to criticism that otherwise might not be levied at it.

I agree 100% with this. Generally, epic fantasy is brain candy. I would consume it in the same way that I play video games or watch movies or, to belabour the metaphor, eat junk food.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Epic fantasies are stories for children and hold no emotional truths.

Instead they hold real, physical truths. Facts about great and terrible events of the distant past that have faded from our conscious collective memory, and detailed instructions on how to survive the once and future horrors. Though most now dismiss them as meaningless fairy-tales, when you hear the whispers in the darkness beyond your door you will already know what to do, you will understand that everything you have seen and heard up until now has been preparing you for this moment, you will realize that the chandrian are real, the chandrian are alive, the chandrian are not your friend.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Nakar posted:

I think one point BOTL is making here is that this is kind of the problem with a lot of modern fantasy: It apes in a fashion the epic style, the fantastical wonderment, the fear of the unknown, but is at best completely incompetent at handling any of them and is at worst so distressingly fixated on the mundane that it's hard to understand why the author wrote a fantasy at all.

This is pretty much why I entirely switched over to "Weird fiction" for my preferred genre. At the very least, it tries to evoke the impossible and the numinous without trying to bludgeon it to death with a spreadsheet.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Instead they hold real, physical truths. Facts about great and terrible events of the distant past that have faded from our conscious collective memory, and detailed instructions on how to survive the once and future horrors. Though most now dismiss them as meaningless fairy-tales, when you hear the whispers in the darkness beyond your door you will already know what to do, you will understand that everything you have seen and heard up until now has been preparing you for this moment, you will realize that the chandrian are real, the chandrian are alive, the chandrian are not your friend.

I'm going to gently caress the Chandrian.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Hate Fibration posted:

I'm going to gently caress the Chandrian.

This post is actually a corruption of the original ur-post, lost to the ages but carried to the present through nursery rhymes and loss edits, hidden in plain sight for the true seekers to find it. The original post read "The chandrian came, I'm hosed"

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

And Bast's homoerotic obsession with Kvothe wasn't brought up in LGBT talk! You are all :mediocre:

Realtalk if he made this unambiguously canon I'd take back at least 30% of the bad things I've ever said about Rothfuss.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Gormenghast qualifies as epic fantasy. If you're saying its not rad, then I'm sorry but this tinder date is over- we have no future together.

Edit:

Also if Kvothe fucks the Chandrian to death and the whole second book was actually sex training he predicted he'd need, the series would be 100% redeemed for me.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I'm getting nervous because I have yet to encounter a sex scene in book 2 but you're making this sound like a horror show.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Malpais Legate posted:

I'm getting nervous because I have yet to encounter a sex scene in book 2 but you're making this sound like a horror show.

What part are you at?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

They're playing with each other's dicks in the middle of the woods and pretending to find bandits for the Maer.

This makes me realize Maer/Mayor is a stupid thing and also maybe this is the sex scenes you're talking about. They are just loving about for pages upon pages.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Malpais Legate posted:

They're playing with each other's dicks in the middle of the woods and pretending to find bandits for the Maer.

This makes me realize Maer/Mayor is a stupid thing and also maybe this is the sex scenes you're talking about. They are just loving about for pages upon pages.

Oh you sweet summer child.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Malpais Legate posted:

You are about 30 pages away from Kvothe becoming a man(child).

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I read the Gurm's Myrish swamp and sticky princes. I can handle this.

I can handle this, right? :(

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Malpais Legate posted:

If you need a place to heal afterwards, we're here for you.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Malpais Legate posted:

It's vaseline-on-the-lens softcore protagonist praising literotica. Its biggest problem lies in existing in the published work, not with its particular content.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Lottery of Babylon posted:

But when the Chandrian enter my house, they'll be all "man, is that a TAK board! Cooooool! I love Patrick Rothfuss!" And I'll be all "Yeah, man, it's a Tak board!" And they'll give me my pizza and leave.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Malpais Legate posted:

The sex scenes are written like jotting down Street Fighter 2 combos. Nothing graphic or arousing about them at all. You'll be fine, but probably feel a little embarrassed that you're still reading. Oh, and his fight training is written exactly the same way with even more video game sex scenes. It's basically video game sex scenes from here on out.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

HIJK posted:

Rothfuss's lack of command over made up language matters. Just because someone is uneducated on a subject does not mean that he won't realize the product is poo poo. Rothfuss's made up words are just like everything else he writes - an artificial Christmas tree that is hollow and not even close to a passable imitation of the real thing.

Tolkien stands out even to the uneducated layman because of his mastery of words, the amount of hard work he put to the craft, and his natural talent. None of these are qualities Rothfuss possesses. And it shows.

It's because it's literally some poo poo he made up for D&D and if you have played a game of it with a lame DM you will recognize the smell at once

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

It's because it's literally some poo poo he made up for D&D and if you have played a game of it with a lame DM you will recognize the smell at once

Counterpoint: Malazan?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Malayan is based on a GURPS campaign, totally different

Edit: Oh gently caress, I'm wrong. It started as AD&D

Andrast fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 28, 2016

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Oh my loving god he loses his virginity to a fairy queen. What the gently caress is this bullshit?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Malpais Legate posted:

Oh my loving god he loses his virginity to a fairy queen. What the gently caress is this bullshit?

And he's really good at it! One of the best the immortal sex fairy has ever seen.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Malpais Legate posted:

Welcome, friend. To our kingdom of poo poo.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I realize now that I only saw the Kingdom of poo poo from a distance, just an idea on the horizon.

Today I gazed upon the gates, and smelled the stench. Against my better judgment, I requested entry.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Malpais Legate posted:

I realize now that I only saw the Kingdom of poo poo from a distance, just an idea on the horizon.

Today I gazed upon the gates, and smelled the stench. Against my better judgment, I requested entry.

We have such sites to show you! Just wait until he changes a person's entire world view by playing his lute. This is, of course, his ninja teacher who he sexes up real good. Of course.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I couldn't get more than a few dozen pages in to the first book before I put it down and good lord the "this is my PnP campaign turned novel" was overwhelming.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Gormenghast qualifies as epic fantasy. If you're saying its not rad, then I'm sorry but this tinder date is over- we have no future together.

Edit:

Also if Kvothe fucks the Chandrian to death and the whole second book was actually sex training he predicted he'd need, the series would be 100% redeemed for me.

Not to start an argument or anything but how is Gormenghast epic fantasy? I can't remember anything that jumps out as really Epic Fantasy-ish other than the massiveness of Gormenghast itself.

Steerpike did nothing wrong

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Malpais Legate posted:

Have you considered journeying to the kingdom of Prester John instead and reading Baudolino? It does everything that Kingkiller does better, even sex with a weird creature of myth.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Vanderdeath posted:

Not to start an argument or anything but how is Gormenghast epic fantasy? I can't remember anything that jumps out as really Epic Fantasy-ish other than the massiveness of Gormenghast itself.

Titus Alone is arguably science fiction but the only things I could see making that qualification for the first two books would be:
  • The setting does not appear to be the real world, or if it is it's unrecognizable and unrecognized within the setting; no notion of nations despite the rulers of Gormenghast being Earls for example, and even the city of Titus Alone doesn't seem to have a clearly-defined political structure despite having things like courts and police.
  • Quasi-medieval setting, though it's clear from things like the school that the rough technology level seems to be more in line with the late 1800s and it's more custom that the peasants and such live in squalor (and per Titus Alone, Gormenghast may simply be well behind the times).
  • The sense of scale is on the epic fantastical scale. Thousands of years of inert history, weird customs, forgotten sections of the castle, the giant tree the aunts hang out on, the wilderness, etc.
  • There are a few vaguely supernatural events like Titus's unusual features at birth or the lightning strike that kills the Thing and a couple visions in Titus Alone, but they're so vague they're easily written off as coincidences or oddities or dreams.
  • There's a marked sort of "epic progression" for Steerpike and his ultimate heroic foil Titus. Steerpike has the sort of rags-to-riches narrative arc complete with a noble romance, but the whole thing is twisted by Steerpike being a genuine psychopath. Titus is cast as an epic hero but doesn't really do much of anything until the flood and as soon as he's defeated Steerpike he abandons his home right at the point where he'd be expected to come into his own as ruler of it.
So while it does sort of have similar threads, I don't think it's remotely fair to categorize it as such, particularly since Peake clearly intended that there was more to what he wanted out of the series and Titus than he was able to write before his death. Given the rejection of Gormenghast at the end of the titular book and again in Titus Alone, it's clear that whatever sort of hero Titus was to become it wasn't one of an epic fantasy mold.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

Not to stir the pot, but what definition of epic fantasy are we going with? I feel like we might have a number of different answers to the question, which influences any discussion we might have about what IS or ISNT epic fantasy.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Have you considered journeying to the kingdom of Prester John instead and reading Baudolino? It does everything that Kingkiller does better, even sex with a weird creature of myth.

How gay is it, on a scale of bear hunting to hunting bears?

Also, I got to the infamous chord that said sad. I audibly guffawed.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Malpais Legate posted:

How gay is it, on a scale of bear hunting to hunting bears?

Fleeting glimpse of bear pelt.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Oct 29, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fleeting glimpse of bear pelt.

So you're saying it's bearly gay?!?!?!

......I'll show myself out.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Not to stir the pot, but what definition of epic fantasy are we going with? I feel like we might have a number of different answers to the question, which influences any discussion we might have about what IS or ISNT epic fantasy.

Yeah, uh, I feel like you might be getting kind of loose with your genre definitions if you're calling Earthsea epic fantasy...

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

idiotsavant posted:

Yeah, uh, I feel like you might be getting kind of loose with your genre definitions if you're calling Earthsea epic fantasy...

That's because it's fairly loosely defined. As an example, a quote from the wiki entry on Earthsea

quote:

Several critics have argued that by combining elements of epic, Bildungsroman, and young adult fiction, Le Guin succeeded in blurring the boundaries of conventional genres

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

So he goes to gaiety fairy land, fucks a fairy queen until he's a master of sex, and then goes back to gently caress a bar wench.

At least the Cathay or however you spell it was cool. The reader used a voice that reminded me of the Cheshire cat. It was easily the best part of the novel, until the lovely little crybaby interlude about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Earthsea is both epic and fantasy but the specific term 'epic fantasy' comes loaded with Malazan-level baggage

• Locked thread