Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

checkplease posted:

I thought it was two discs? One for movie, one for supplements?

You're correct. DVD Beaver has screenshots of both discs and the second one is all supplements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Whoops. I'm not used to two-disc blu ray releases. It is a very long movie, though

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I ordered the trilogia di guillermo del toro box set and it's missing cronos!! :( I emailed amazon and am waiting to hear back from them. Hope it's not too annoying/difficult process to get the missing disc. It was still in the original packaging so I don't think it was tampered with before delivery.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

DuhSal posted:

I ordered the trilogia di guillermo del toro box set and it's missing cronos!! :( I emailed amazon and am waiting to hear back from them. Hope it's not too annoying/difficult process to get the missing disc. It was still in the original packaging so I don't think it was tampered with before delivery.

You may consider contacting Criterion directly. They're really good with taking care of their customers.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Watching Chimes and yeah, it's hard to understand the lines... might have to put on subtitles.

Yeah it's actually a much better experience with subtitles.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 26, 2016

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I need that Chimes at MIdnight disc so bad. I saw the film years and years ago without subtitles and if you think it's difficult to understand, I hear with a cochlear implant, so imagine my troubles. Despite that, I still think it's one of the best films I've ever seen. Welles really had virtually no peers as a visual storyteller.

Hopefully I have my PS3 laser fixed by the time the November B&N sale rolls around. Gonna jump on that, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, and Short Cuts at the very least. The latter has been #1 on my to-see list for literally years, but I was holding out for a blu-ray. Patience is its own reward!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Anybody here have an opinion on Tanner '88? I remember renting it ages ago but didn't watch much of it and the election made me think of it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Tanner '88 is awesome. It's a great satire, a great character piece, and an extremely awesome time capsule. It's like Nashville on valium.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Well I haven't seen Nashville, so I'll take your word on it.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Watch Nashville

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nashville is amazing. Read up a bit on the audio technology and the shooting style first. Sadly, the audio commentary seems to be bad, from what I listened to.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Hat Thoughts posted:

Watch Nashville

Don't you tell me what to do :colbert:

E: it's on the proverbial list

Hector Beerlioz fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 27, 2016

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

So uh... why is The Third Man ridiculously expensive on Blu-Ray? I was on a noir kick and recently watched Night and the City, Out of the Past (non Criterion), and In a Lonely Place and was wanting to follow it up with The Third Man but :stare:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Doctor Teeth posted:

So uh... why is The Third Man ridiculously expensive on Blu-Ray? I was on a noir kick and recently watched Night and the City, Out of the Past (non Criterion), and In a Lonely Place and was wanting to follow it up with The Third Man but :stare:

The Criterion edition is, what, six years out of print now?

The StudioCanal edition is inferior but it's also $10.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Doctor Teeth posted:

out of print. There is another version released by studio canal

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Oh that makes a bit of sense. I didn't pay attention to release dates. Thanks.

I guess I'll blind watch Gilda instead.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
After David Lean saw The 3rd Man he sent Carol Reed a level and told him to put it on top of the camera next time he makes a film.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Well I haven't seen Nashville, so I'll take your word on it.

Watch Nashville.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I got my Tanner '88 booklet signed by Garry Trudeau a few weeks ago. He was very surprised to see it, I'm not sure if he knew about the DVD.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Cloks posted:

I got my Tanner '88 booklet signed by Garry Trudeau a few weeks ago. He was very surprised to see it, I'm not sure if he knew about the DVD.

I had a chance to get my copy of Passion of Joan of Arc signed by the Anonymous 4 who did the alternative soundtrack on the dvd because they did a concert at my college, however I decided to get drunk instead :(

E: Also got Kier Dullea and Gary Lockwood's autographs the other weekend at a showing of 2001.

Hector Beerlioz fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 27, 2016

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

blue squares posted:

Nashville is amazing. Read up a bit on the audio technology and the shooting style first. Sadly, the audio commentary seems to be bad, from what I listened to.

What do u think is gained from reading about those first?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

What do u think is gained from reading about those first?

I never read about film analysis first, but when it comes to technological processes behind the film, especially when its innovative, I like to know a bit about going in. Often, you'll never pick up on the tech stuff from just watching. Altman had every actor wired for sound and then shot from far away, so that in many of the scenes none of the actors knew when they were or were not being filmed at a given moment. I enjoyed knowing that as I watched it and think it helped me understand what Altman was trying to do.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I believe that was how MASH was filmed too for some parts

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I personally enjoy learning those sorts of technical details only after experiencing the film once for the first time. The purpose of these tricks is to create a desired effect, and I want to give them a chance to work on me before I'm in the mindset of analyzing them.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Speaking of out of print blu rays, the flash sale reminded me that I think it's time to sell mine. I'm not really willing to part with the Saura set or Chungking Express, but I'm not a collector so can't really justify keeping some of them around for how much they are worth.

Anyone here interested in The Third Man, Last Year at Marienbad, or Pierrot Le Fou?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

FancyMike posted:

Speaking of out of print blu rays, the flash sale reminded me that I think it's time to sell mine. I'm not really willing to part with the Saura set or Chungking Express, but I'm not a collector so can't really justify keeping some of them around for how much they are worth.

Anyone here interested in The Third Man, Last Year at Marienbad, or Pierrot Le Fou?

Third Man please

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

FancyMike posted:

Marienbad and Pierrot (potentially)!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pappyland posted:

Marienbad and Pierrot (potentially)!
Wait, didn't you already buy Marienbad from him last year?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

FancyMike posted:

I'm interested in third man just to watch it. I'd happily pass it along once I've seen it.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

Raxivace posted:

Wait, didn't you already buy Marienbad from him last year?

??? Nope.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

You can take Army of Shadows and The Third Man from my cold dead hands.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cloks posted:

I'm interested in third man just to watch it. I'd happily pass it along once I've seen it.

Dude just download it

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Cloks posted:

If you simply want to watch the movie, I wouldn't shell out tons of cash for the OOP Criterion. Go for this one.

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine

Cloks posted:

Or get this. It's region free and the transfer is just as good as the Criterion (if not better). Here's the blu-ray.com review.

quote:

The 4K restoration is excellent. Some of the improvements in terms depth and color gradation may not be immediately noticeable, but the larger your screen is, the easier it will be to see that the film now has a much better balanced appearance. Generally speaking, edges are better defined and a number of close-ups look cleaner. Contrast levels are also better balanced (compare screencapture #6 and screencapture #10 from our review of Criterion's out of print release). Some of the most obvious improvements, however, are with shadow definition, and plenty of the nighttime footage now appears a lot more nuanced (see the very dark close-up in screencapture #3). Grain is well resolved and tighter, but in some areas it could be difficult to see the difference. In fact, there are various segments where the better balanced contrast levels actually make a bigger difference (compare screencapture #13 and screencapture #4 from our review of the Criterion release and screencapture #22 and screencapture #5 from our review of the Criterion release). There is some mild unevenness before, during and after select transitions, but overall image stability is actually improved. Plenty of flicker and sporadic light warping that were present on StudioCanal's previous release are also eliminated. There are no large debris, cuts, torn frames, or damage marks. All in all, I prefer the overall better balanced appearance of StudioCanal's release and I think that at this point it is unquestionably the best one on the market. (Note: This is a Region-Free Blu-ray release. Therefore, you will be able to play it on your Blu-ray player regardless of your geographical location. For the record, there is no PAL or 1080/50i content preceding the disc's main menu).

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I want to watch the extras. I've seen the movie in theaters.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It appears I'm not as good at dad jokes as I thought... :smith:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cloks posted:

I want to watch the extras. I've seen the movie in theaters.

Gotcha. Me too

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

FancyMike posted:

I was gonna request it, but it looks like you could start a bidding war for The Third Man.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Just a reminder, the BN sale starts 11/1 and runs till 11/28.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'll be there at 9am