Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

Three stages? That really just makes me want to power level my way through this fight.

No one phase is terribly bad. The learning curve isn't as rough as getting through King of Storms without using estus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Internet Kraken posted:

No it doesn't. I casted a bunch of spells next to the fire keeper and the only ones that damaged her just by being close were the combustion spells. I positioned myself so the combustion didn't hit her but the AOE fire from the talisman did. No other spell casted from that position created the fireblast.

I wouldn't be surprised if people are giving out bad info with the weapons being this new.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Speaking of combustion, which is better for PvP; great combustion or black flame?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
For my money, I would say Black Flame. I have been getting some hilarious successes with it.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

I like the idea of a spotter hollow then the lighting spearing artillery hollows behind him on a hill.

pretty sure that's how gwyn won the war

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Most tryhard PVP people seem to use Black Flame, Black Serpent and Fire Surge. Chaos Bed Vestiges and Great Chaos Fire Orb depending on what kind of PVP. Great Chaos Fire Orb is more useful on catching people in 1vs1 situations and Chaos Bed Vestiges is more for catching people unawares.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
How is FP management handled in the arena? Do you just get one ashen estus charge periodically?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Deified Data posted:

How is FP management handled in the arena? Do you just get one ashen estus charge periodically?

I want to say you get flasks back as you kill dudes, on a long spree I didn't really run out.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Speaking of combustion, which is better for PvP; great combustion or black flame?

Black Flame is a straight upgrade. Even for PVE since if you want fire damage that's what GCFO is for.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I died to both DLC bosses twice and I just kinda... stopped playing. I think I'm a little burnt out on Dark Souls. Or else, it's cuz I just finished Salt and Sanctuary and with that one, if you had the right gear you could easily tank any boss fight after two tries.

I do really like the DLC area, minus the wolf forest. It was fun to explore and I didn't mind how it confusingly looped back on itself. I always enjoy experience the world. It did make me think the whole area would be a cool shortcut into Irithyll for low-level characters instead of a one-off set-piece. I'm picturing a hidden tunnel off of, say, Undead Settlement. It would be balls hard for a low level person to get through, but you could reward skillful low level play and give access to some weapons and materials early for intrepid explorers.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

This DLC is really keen for pyros. The onyx greatsword is just amazing and the Crow Quills has an E/B/B/B scaling when infused wich chaos or dark (I made it dark) and the 2-handed L1 combo uses very little stamina while doing amazing damage. Follower Sabre also has B/B on INT/FTH so there's another amazing weapon for pyros.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

holy poo poo the sabre is good for invasions. the weapon art destroys people.

Old post, but the Follower's Sabre is good in general. So far it might be my favorite of the DLC weapons. The Crow Quills Rapier is pretty good and does 399 on my 40/40 character with a sharp infusion, while a refined Follower's Sabre sits at 431 and has more versatile attack animation and weapon art. The rapier's critical stat is nice though and it does do thrust damage, which is quite nice. If only the sabre could thrust!

Can't quite figure out how to most effectively use those throwing knives.

Also, how is Valorheart working out for people? I like the idea of a paired sword and shield in a Souls game and think its long overdue, but I hear some mixed things about this set.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Valorheart is really cool, but I don't think it will stick around in a pvp capacity. While its neat that you block on attack you also don't get to choose when you do that block, and the shield has poo poo stability, so sometimes you will trade hits and be left with no stamina or worse yet get staggered into a riposte.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

You can equip the Grass Crest Shield, go with valorheart on both hands and well, you have a shield and GCS stamina buff. Or you can infuse another weapon/shield with simple and get FP back for that nice art. I have yet to try the big rear end hammer (next char will be) but overall, DLC weapons and boss fights makes the DLC worth running. Of course, the DLC feels better once you know where everything is and ignore 80% of the fights wich is kind of stupid.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

I fought a guy in the arena using the Followers Sabre with the Black Knight Shield, which was a really cool combination! Hard to pressure due to the shield (and the weapon art instantly punishing whiffs and mistimed rolls) and you can't play defensively since it's a curved sword... jeez.

The DLC weapons are all super cool, it feels like they have a high skill ceiling but rewards skilled play, especially Friede's scythe. Haven't met anyone using the Follower's though, suppose that's mainly a PvE weapon.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Valorheart is really cool, but I don't think it will stick around in a pvp capacity. While its neat that you block on attack you also don't get to choose when you do that block, and the shield has poo poo stability, so sometimes you will trade hits and be left with no stamina or worse yet get staggered into a riposte.

I don't think people will main in much, since it's strictly inferior to regular straight swords as a pure offensive weapon, but it's a really good complement to weapons that are. And it completely fucks up the idiots who just spam with quick weapons.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

If valorheart is able to block through the attack of a heavy weapon (it ate my great club with its jump block attack) then it's really good against people that try to trade with hyper armor.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

If valorheart is able to block through the attack of a heavy weapon (it ate my great club with its jump block attack) then it's really good against people that try to trade with hyper armor.

It can do that, but if you're using it it's not a tactic I'd recommend due to the shield's poo poo stability. You'll basically be draining your entire meter in that case.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

valorheart is very good, yes
block frames that trade in your favor vs even ugs attacks, good phantom range on stabbing moves, good chasing move with the leap stab, really weird parry timing on attacks alongside animations that look similar enough to act as an actual mixup both timing and actual attack-wise

the only real weakness i can see is over-committing on block frames leading to instadeath combo but that's such a rare occasion since the block frames aren't something you rely on like that

i'd say it's easily the best straight sword right now just because of the mixup capacity and ability to deal with armor boys

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

It wrecked me. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was punishable. I guess the idea would be, if it was viable, you just poke them and walk away during the strong first hit stagger, since it lands after the attack.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The real MVP of the DLC weapons is the Follower Torch, because I needed a !BATTLETORCH! in my life :allears:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its cool but it weighs a ton for what is essentially a burning stick. I'm not sure how it weighs more than a mace.

It'd be better if you could use its weapon art in the offhand.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

texting my ex posted:

Man I'm disappointed about all of DS3 while I absolutely loved all of DS2. I'm hella weird

I'm the same way brother :hfive:

Though DS2 was my entry into the series so I'm biased.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Wtf????? One of my characters keeps getting booted out of a 3v3 match due to a connection error after my first death. What is going on????

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Your Computer posted:

The real MVP of the DLC weapons is the Follower Torch, because I needed a !BATTLETORCH! in my life :allears:

I havent found this yet, but I have a +9 torch so I need it. Is it on the ground somewhere or a drop from the Followers?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sard posted:

I havent found this yet, but I have a +9 torch so I need it. Is it on the ground somewhere or a drop from the Followers?

It's on the snowy mountain pass. If you have hidden body you can run past everything and get it.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

So after struggling against Aldrich for a while I decided to check out a wiki. According to the internet, he is weak to lightning and fire...I went and made a +6 Flame Long sword (which matches my normal +6 long sword) expecting to have some kind of noticable increase in damage but from what I can tell the damage is basically the same?

I realise that the weapon now has to do kind of physical damage rolls then fire damage rolls which may lower base damage, but shouldn't the weakness account for that? Unless Aldrich isn't really that weak to fire at all?

Furthermore, are there any instances where having an elemental weapon would actually help me? Or should i just continue on whacking things with my Long Sword. I'm currently SL 67 with Bloodborne RP armor, I mean Abyss watchers...

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

MarshyMcFly posted:

Wtf????? One of my characters keeps getting booted out of a 3v3 match due to a connection error after my first death. What is going on????

Ok fixed now but that was weird and glitchy but on the plus side it made me try and not die an entire match, which I did!

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Cloud the Cat posted:

So after struggling against Aldrich for a while I decided to check out a wiki. According to the internet, he is weak to lightning and fire...I went and made a +6 Flame Long sword (which matches my normal +6 long sword) expecting to have some kind of noticable increase in damage but from what I can tell the damage is basically the same?

I realise that the weapon now has to do kind of physical damage rolls then fire damage rolls which may lower base damage, but shouldn't the weakness account for that? Unless Aldrich isn't really that weak to fire at all?

Furthermore, are there any instances where having an elemental weapon would actually help me? Or should i just continue on whacking things with my Long Sword. I'm currently SL 67 with Bloodborne RP armor, I mean Abyss watchers...

some enemies start screaming and flailing around when they get hurt by fire. so its useful for stunning some really dangerous enemies.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cloud the Cat posted:

You're better off buffing your normal +6 longsword with resin.

There aren't too many instances where having an elemental-infused weapon is useful unless it's a back-up weapon for your caster to clean up scrubs without wasting FP on their buff spell. Slimes are really the only enemy I can think of with any noticeable physical resist.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Split damage weapons, unless they have exceptional AR when made raw, are almost always going to be inferior to a pure physical weapon.

Anyways, the secret to beating Aldrich is: Rambo onto him as soon as you see him, because this will force his AI into performing melee attacks. Whack him until he starts going underground, then run to the center of the room. Look for where he reappears, and then run immediately towards him again. Your goal is to just keep baiting him into his lovely-rear end melee attacks until he dies.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks for the feedback all, appreciated!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Turns out there's a super secret 3rd boss fight in the DLC that we all missed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MEdj9jHPMg

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I wish they hadn't doubled down on the spinning and twirly boss attacks :( I get disoriented easily in games and I can tell this boss is going to take me a bit

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RatHat posted:

Turns out there's a super secret 3rd boss fight in the DLC that we all missed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MEdj9jHPMg

There are people legit angry that From put those yeti crabs in as a joke.

I hope the next DLC has even more crabs.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Internet Kraken posted:

There are people legit angry that From put those yeti crabs in as a joke.

I hope the next DLC has even more crabs.

Weve had swamp crabs, fire crabs, and ice crabs

Im banking on lightning crabs next dlc

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Weve had swamp crabs, fire crabs, and ice crabs

Im banking on lightning crabs next dlc

Dark crabs - from The Deep obviously

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Curse Crabs with the DS1 curse and one new NPC that uncurses you for lots of souls after you use a specific gesture in front of him.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Curse Crabs with the DS1 curse and one new NPC that uncurses you for lots of souls after you use a specific gesture in front of him.

You have to get the Path of the Crab gesture by beating the curse crab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
A crab statue that only activates if you drop a message in front of it that says "Try pincer attack"