Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

The XPS 13 has been the benchmark ultraportable to beat for the last 2 or so years. If your needs are met by a dual-core 15W CPU, it's a safe buy.
How's it handle Linux?

Hardware side, I manly want a thing that's really light, has as much battery as possible, and has good build quality.

It's not that I'd complain about a GTX 1060 in there, but it's not high up on the list.

Twerk from Home posted:

There's a "Developer Edition" XPS 13 and 15 shipped and supported with Ubuntu from Dell
That's an interesting option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

incoherent posted:

C- Skylake when DDR4 is a thing.

THE MAC BOOK PRO HAS THE WRONG KIND OF RAM!

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
$1800 for a mid-2015 15" MBP 2.5Ghz i7, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD and 2GB R9 M370 and 3+ years of applecare a decent buy or are these going to sink in value in the next few days?

I don't see too many people excited about this launch on twitter/reddit/here, so I'm curious/unsure about what the secondary market is going to do.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Buca di Bepis posted:

Where at? My 15" 2014 MBP has an annoying chip in the screen from closing the lid on a grain of dirt or something.

ifixit

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
XPS 13, Surface Book, Lenovo T460s, HP Elitebook or Spectre.

With Lenovo and HP go straight for the business line for their good products.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I told my windows-using brother the price of the fully specced 15 and he laughed his head off.

It sounds like he's just not courageous enough to spend $4299 on a laptop. :shepface:

The Mac Tax does come with being able to resell it eventually for a significant chunk of the original retail price, though, unlike most other laptops I've dealt with.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

That XPS Developer Edition with Ubuntu looks pretty nice.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

bone app the teeth posted:

That XPS Developer Edition with Ubuntu looks pretty nice.

Be reeeallly wary of the 15" one, it's on 14.04 still because Dell's done some custom kernel patches for hardware drivers. I can recommend the 13 with no reservations though.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ordered a iMac 5K with a 2TB Fusion Drive, and a total of 22Gig of Ram. Stoked. Sure the new ones will be able to power that 5K display, but honestly, running a 4K as a second display at some point will be more than enough for me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Roadie posted:

It sounds like he's just not courageous enough to spend $4299 on a laptop. :shepface:

The Mac Tax does come with being able to resell it eventually for a significant chunk of the original retail price, though, unlike most other laptops I've dealt with.

It's €5000 in Europe apparently 😳😳

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Viper_3000 posted:

$1800 for a mid-2015 15" MBP 2.5Ghz i7, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD and 2GB R9 M370 and 3+ years of applecare a decent buy or are these going to sink in value in the next few days?

I don't see too many people excited about this launch on twitter/reddit/here, so I'm curious/unsure about what the secondary market is going to do.

Probably hold value or increase in price. We saw the same situation with the launch of the 2014 Mac Minis

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I had my 2014 15 inch MBP and late 2013 27 inch iMac stolen a couple weeks ago so I had to buy something today.

If they updated the iMacs, I would probably have gotten a beefy iMac then maybe just a regular MacBook or some kinda refurb MBP.

Since they didn't update the iMacs and I'm sure it will be awhile before they do, I got to thinking I should just go back to having one beefed up MBP as my only computer. Having two macs to myself I tend to neglect one or the other and it seems like a waste. Before I had my iMac I had a similar set up and it seemed to workout ok. I ended up buying the top 15 inch, no processor upgrade, harddrive to 1tb, and graphics card to 4gb. Ended up being $3050 with my education discount.

My main thing is photography and I'm sure it will be fine with Lightroom and Photoshop. I will need to figure out some storage solutions (maybe a drobo?) and find a good monitor. My pick up day is Black Friday in Portland (driving from WA because there is no tax in OR) so maybe I'll find some BF deals on monitors and drives. Anything I should keep my eye out for?

Also silly question I know, but how do you guys think this thing will be for games? I don't play stuff often but I had fallout 4 and xcom 2 games going on my iMac and would like to finish them up. My old MBP played fallout 4 a little choppy and for whatever reason xcom 2 played like rear end (both worked fine on my iMac). I'm not too worried about future games as I figure I can just get a PlayStation if I really want to play.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

PS4 + mac is a delicious combo

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Perhaps I'm insane, but I'm really interested in doing a Thunderbolt 3 eGPU setup. Sadly, I doubt the 13" model would cut it for CPU performance. The hardest part will be figuring out what to move to my external drives when my internal storage drops from 512 to 256 GB.

Though I'm not doing anything until I find out how it works re. the touch bar in Boot Camp. I kinda need my function keys in Visual Studio.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

PS4 + mac is a delicious combo

As somebody who's never had a Playstation: How so?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I also buy laptops as an investment opportunity

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Don Lapre posted:

I also buy laptops as an investment opportunity
same but unironically

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Looking at the Ubuntu-running Dell XPS13, and I can either buy a heavy touchscreen, or a low-res (1920x) monitor.

With the high res one, it's ~25% cheaper than the Macbook, not lighter, a bit smaller. Tiny touchpad, doubt the keyboard is as good as Apples. Saw some claims of the battery being 15+ hours?! Slower Ram, though it's a lot cheaper to go for a faster CPU and 16GB RAM.

I'm not so sure. OS X is probably worth the money, I'm thinking.

Edit: Dell also missing the AMAZING TOUCH ROW THINGY

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Roadie posted:

As somebody who's never had a Playstation: How so?

They just mean Macs aren't exactly gaming machines. Jobs hated games for some reason, modern Macs have never come with powerful graphics cards, and gaming in OS X is always a bit of a risk because of crappy ports, performing crappily. Playing modern games on a Mac is always a bit of a crapshoot.

Whereas with the PS4, it's just plug and play. Well, download gigabytes of patches, then play.

For myself I have a Windows desktop I built for gaming and I have a WiiU, which a lot of people seem to do. Buy the Nintendo console for the exclusives, have a Windows PC for the games that run best on Windows, use your Mac for all your other stuff you actually want to do with a computer.

Gaming on a Mac sucks. But Civ 5 runs really well at high settings on my mid-2015 rMBP at full res, so I mean, you can play some titles, but I wouldn't try to run the new Doom (is it even ported to macOS?)

Dave Thorpe Painting
Aug 9, 2004
Dictator of The World - 2033

krysmopompas posted:

It's probably easiest to just grab the OWC TB2 dock and the TB2 adapter.

Splinter posted:

There are a few thunderbolt docks out there that have firewire ports (along with whatever other ports you may need). I believe you could get a USB-C adapter for those, or I'd bet USB-C versions will be released at some point. These docks are still very expensive though. Here's one

Do you need to be able to use the firewire interface in a mobile setting w/ no wall power? If not, I think the dock approach could work for you. Otherwise, you may have to go w/ the dongle chain approach you mentioned.

This seems like it might be the best option, though I'll definitely wait a couple of weeks and see if they release a USB-C/TB3 dock that has Firewire. I only use it when it is "docked" at home, so I wouldn't need portable power as an option.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Is there a recommended 24 inch monitor for the retina macbooks? I assume I want a 4K display right

Actually the one Apple is offering from LG looks very nice but pretty expensive, is it a ripoff or worth the price http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKMY2LL/A/lg-ultrafine-4k-display?fnode=8a

mistermojo fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 27, 2016

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
If you look at the "first look" video at the bottom of this article:
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/10/27/13439594/apple-event-october-2016-news-recap-macbook-pro

You'll see the touch bar performing about as well as you'd expect a tiny touch display at the top of a keyboard would do, by which I mean you will have to press twice about half the time.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Wish they offered either a quad-core 13" or a non-dgpu 15". Sigh.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

As was predicted, the 11-inch MacBook Air was taken out the back way and shot remorselessly in the head quietly discontinued, it no longer appears in the Fruit Stand website.

Guess the Retina MacBook really is the new Air.. 12 inches? Close enough! No spec bump though..

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Can a late 2013 rMBP w/ the GT 750M drive a 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor? I assume yes since the spec sheet says Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays and 2 2560x1600 displays is more pixels than 1 3440x1440, but I want to be sure before going down that road.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
For those looking at XPS laptops I've heard the trackpad has some known issues. Something to look into, if you've been on Apple laptops for a decade you probably don't remember what a lovely trackpad was like.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Binary Badger posted:

As was predicted, the 11-inch MacBook Air was taken out the back way and shot remorselessly in the head quietly discontinued, it no longer appears in the Fruit Stand website.
AGR (always go refurb) bro http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air/11

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

prom candy posted:

For those looking at XPS laptops I've heard the trackpad has some known issues. Something to look into, if you've been on Apple laptops for a decade you probably don't remember what a lovely trackpad was like.

Track pad is the single biggest reason I'm considering a Mac. 99.99% of laptop track pads are complete rear end.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Steve Jobs would be dismayed at how Apple is fragmenting the macbook product line for a gimmicky touch bar, and for adding another model confusingly just called "Macbook" and the fact that they're ignoring what was their hit laptop model, as well as increasing the cost of entry, during a time when sales are slumping.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Can you use a magic pad or keyboard with a windows 10 pro desktop?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

Track pad is the single biggest reason I'm considering a Mac. 99.99% of laptop track pads are complete rear end.

It is the dogs bollocks. And I haven't touched a mouse in 3 years since getting a magic trackpad.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

ChocNitty posted:

Steve Jobs would be dismayed at how Apple is fragmenting the macbook product line for a gimmicky touch bar, and for adding another model confusingly just called "Macbook" and the fact that they're ignoring what was their hit laptop model, as well as increasing the cost of entry, during a time when sales are slumping.

It seems like Tim Cook, as an operations guru, would have a handle on all of this. Instead it seems like his only answer t shrinking profits is to gouge the die hard fanboys.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
All hail the new (October, lighter, thinner) model HP Spectre x360 as the new best Apple laptop?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

quote:

A MacRumors reader emailed Cook, asking if the company was "pulling away" from the Mac line.

"I love the Mac and we are very committed to it," said Cook in the email. "Stay tuned."

Apparently Tim Cook doesn't realize there's a difference between Mac and MacBook.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Between the huge emojis in iOS 10 and the emoji bar pictures I have loving had it with Apple lately

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
Well, gently caress.

For a few years now, I've felt that much of the criticism Tim Cook gets is unfair, and that people are too quick to forget all of Steve Jobs' many product misses and half-baked detours. I'd laugh and roll my eyes when people on Twitter would complain about this missing port, that missing feature. I thought the hand-wringing over the removal of the headphone jack was wildly overblown.

But now...I don't know. Today's event, even more so than in the past, seems to indicate a troubling direction for Apple. It's like they learned nothing from their recent successes, and seem intent on re-making many of the same mistakes that dogged them in the 90s.

• Confusing nomenclature and irrational product line.
  • Underpowered and overpriced hardware, with some welcome exceptions.
  • An almost willful sense that they're out-of-touch with that people actually want.
  • A tendency towards gimmicks or features in search of a problem.
  • A deafening silence across entire product categories.
  • An overemphasis on arbitrary features. SHOW AN EMOJI ONE MORE TIME I DARE YOU.

What's really frustrating is that they get SO MANY things right, like their stance on privacy, their materials design, their trackpads and yes, Apple Pay.

But as an Apple fan, this just feels like we're about to enter a period of relative decline vs. a newly resurgent Microsoft. Apple will still be mostly, but no longer insanely great. They will still manage to surprise with some incredible products, but overall they will become stale and increasingly trade upon the goodwill the past 16 years have bought them.

It was a phenomenal run while it lasted. Tech is cyclical of course, so I can't say I'm too surprised. Maybe I was just hoping for too much from a caretaker CEO who came from the logistics side of the business.

I'll probably make my next purchase a Mac. But for the first time now in over a decade I'm thinking the one after that might not be.

EDIT - Yeah, yeah. It's true that Macs are a footnote to the dwarfing success of the iPhone. But still. Macs built the house.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there a loving USB C to MiniDP adapter so I can use my 27" Cinema Display with a newer Mac or should I just throw it in the garbage

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
For all the bitching, cost difference between the 13" XPS and a comparable 13" MBP with education pricing is ~$350. Even ignoring the new toolbar completely, OSX, trackpad and build quality are probably worth that much to the average Apple user. There's a gap, obviously, but it doesn't seem historically abnormal.

I went ahead and placed an order for the baseline 15". My only real complaints are that the memory configs are bullshit and also the port discrepancies between MBP and iPhone are triggering my OCD.

E: shipping estimates on the store slipped to 3-4 weeks for the toolbar models.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 28, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You knew as soon as Tim uttered the words " Apple TV" that we were hosed.

Genuinely the worst year for Apple stuff I can remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

2016 iPhone can't connect to 2016 Macbook Pro without a dongle.