Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Private Speech posted:

I guess. You clearly have a lot more experience with it than me. All I was saying that it's completely unaffordable for people here unless you are a programmer or whatever, and even then it's a huge hit to your living standards. Maybe it's better to have state-provided childcare. I wouldn't know.

it is also unaffordable in the united states, but in the united states the cost of living is often so high that parents have to make a difficult decision between foregoing income by staying at home or paying for expensive child care

a lot of american stay at home moms live in suburban/rural areas with relatively cheap cost of living and have multiple kids, making it much more sensible to be a full time parent

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Private Speech posted:

I guess. You clearly have a lot more experience with it than me. All I was saying that it's completely unaffordable for people here unless you are a programmer or whatever, and even then it's a huge hit to your living standards. Maybe it's better to have state-provided childcare. I wouldn't know.

Like free military schools? I'd support that.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

It wouldn't be, because raising a child is hard work. It is hard. It is not fun. It is work. Difficult work that is hard.

To circle back to a previous discussion, "Why should I have to do the dishes? You just sat at home with the kids all day!"

Raising a child can be fun. It's not 100% drudgery %100 of the time.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mcmagic posted:

OK now you're moving the bar. Bernie's policies prescriptions poll BETTER than hers across the board with democrats in the areas where there are differences. And in some areas she has moved left and for those she deserves credit.

Yeah but I think that's a matter of poll wording. Does "free college" include how it was going to be paid for in the question? And so on.

I've argued from the get go, the fact her policies and the party platform align plus the massive vote she got is proof she represents regular Dems.

And also he was to the right of Clinton on guns and had inadequate policies for many pluralistic groups in the party. That facts into the ways he failed to represent the average Dem. Plus I'm not sure his foreign policy is as in line with the party as many hope.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Will Warren and Bernie call out Hillary if she starts loving up and fails to fulfill her campaign promises, or are they her lapdogs for the next 4 years?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

It wouldn't be, because raising a child is hard work. It is hard. It is not fun. It is work. Difficult work that is hard.

To circle back to a previous discussion, "Why should I have to do the dishes? You just sat at home with the kids all day!"

I want to comment on this, because I actually gave up my job to be a stay at home dad for 6 months of my daughter's life. My wife had the first year off through maternity leave (we're in Australia and being able to take 12 months off is pretty standard) so I took her from 12 months to 18 months before she started childcare.

Being a stay at home parent IS hard work, but it's also awesome. It's more exhausting than working in an office, and can be very trying, but it also extremely rewarding and I loved the experience. For me, it actually was fun.

Now she is in childcare 3 days a week. I work a 4 day week and my wife works a 4 day week. Childcare is expensive, but wages here are high, and there are government rebates for childcare for working parents. Still it comes out to about $80/day for childcare - so it's far from cheap.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

EugeneJ posted:

Will Warren and Bernie call out Hillary if she starts loving up and fails to fulfill her campaign promises, or are they her lapdogs for the next 4 years?

I hope they do. But they probably won't.

My biggest fear is Hillary gets to the white house and pulls an Obama 180.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cant cook creole bream posted:

I was ever so slightly sarcastic.
For the record, I was pro Hillary from the start. Not pro democrat, or contra Trump. Pro Hillary, as in I actually believed (and still believe) that she is by far the best candidate.in your country. Trump may be a grotesque monster, which needs to be stopped at any cost, but Hillary is incredibly far away from the second worst choice.

She has spend most of her life in public service, always fought for equality and human rights and even though she was the right wings most hated person for literal decades, she always stood above that. And even though she was under constant scrutiny, there was never anything substantial. I genuinely believe that she is an inspiring role model.

I realize that this makes me completely biased. And I feel quite bad for that.
I was very fond of Bernie but was always fine with Hillary - same as in 2008, "I like both choices just fine." I would also include Edwards in '08, but out of ignorance.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's very common in the US for daycare centers to refuse to take a child who hasn't been potty trained, or to charge an extra fee for it. Infants are even more expensive and even harder to place. So unless the mother has an insanely good job or there's family who can pitch in, many American mothers have to take unpaid leave for a year or more, slashing the family income and permanently derailing their careers. And then childless men come along and chide them for how lazy they are and how much they're spoiling their children.

PotatoManJack posted:

I want to comment on this, because I actually gave up my job to be a stay at home dad for 6 months of my daughter's life. My wife had the first year off through maternity leave (we're in Australia and being able to take 12 months off is pretty standard) so I took her from 12 months to 18 months before she started childcare.

Being a stay at home parent IS hard work, but it's also awesome. It's more exhausting than working in an office, and can be very trying, but it also extremely rewarding and I loved the experience. For me, it actually was fun.

Now she is in childcare 3 days a week. I work a 4 day week and my wife works a 4 day week. Childcare is expensive, but wages here are high, and there are government rebates for childcare for working parents. Still it comes out to about $80/day for childcare - so it's far from cheap.

Well sure, I love babies too. Babies are great :3: You can teach them to high five you and stuff.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Also, the long lines at early voting in North Carolina make it super easy to campaign against the people that came up with the rules, just make a sign and walk back and forth

"How long did you wait in 2012?

How long did you wait today?

Thank your state representative, R - XYZ"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Private Speech posted:

I guess. You clearly have a lot more experience with it than me. All I was saying that it's completely unaffordable for people here unless you are a programmer or whatever, and even then it's a huge hit to your living standards. And so you it would be considered a luxury here. In fact there's a good chance that the kind of families with stay at home mums can afford a nanny/au pair too.

Maybe it's better to have state-provided childcare. I wouldn't know.

In the US 34% of stay at home moms are living in poverty. 9% are looking for a job and can't find one.

And only 5% are rich and well educated moms choosing to stay at home :smith:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PotatoManJack posted:

toddlers are fun, sure. infants are easy, just let them lie there and not be eaten by dingos

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

:psyduck: dude calm down please, it's not a good look for you. Have you tried smoking some reefer to combat your anxiety and rage?

Do you need remedial classes to learn how to read tone in addition to logic? I've heard Phoenix Online or Trump University might be of help to you.

I'm far from mad; in fact, I've had a wide grin on my face ever since I found out that my whiteness makes me incapable to have a legitimate opinion on marijuana laws, especially with regards to minorities being unduly punished under an unjust Prohibition regime that should be scrapped entirely.

Like, I'm totally 100% in agreement with you that legalization should have happened decades ago, let alone right now. I just find it rich and incredibly amusing that my ethnicity prevents me from having a right to an opinion on the issue, let alone my actual real-world experience and time spent literally working - in my own small but sure way, the slow and steady thing that baffles you, remember? - towards the end of Prohibition step by step, block by block.

Here's a question for you: what work have you done outside of typing words at me on a forums? Or is your skin color enough to be smug and self-satisfied enough with?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I was ever so slightly sarcastic.
For the record, I was pro Hillary from the start. Not pro democrat, or contra Trump. Pro Hillary, as in I actually believed (and still believe) that she is by far the best candidate.in your country. Trump may be a grotesque monster, which needs to be stopped at any cost, but Hillary is incredibly far away from the second worst choice.

She has spend most of her life in public service, always fought for equality and human rights and even though she was the right wings most hated person for literal decades, she always stood above that. And even though she was under constant scrutiny, there was never anything substantial. I genuinely believe that she is an inspiring role model.

I realize that this makes me completely biased. And I feel quite bad for that.

Actually she is bad because she doesn't want to legalize weed

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

nvm I misread something :)

dont be so angry, friend.

[reaction to your now-edited post]

Shut the gently caress up. Everyone will thank us.

:argh:

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

boner confessor posted:

toddlers are fun, sure. infants are easy, just let them lie there and not be eaten by dingos

What about alligators

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I hope they do. But they probably won't.

My biggest fear is Hillary gets to the white house and pulls an Obama 180.

Warren is also making a stink about appointments in the upcoming administration. She's going to have alot of power.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Raising a child can be fun. It's not 100% drudgery %100 of the time.
I have never seen any conclusive evidence which would support this unfounded claim. Children are machines which feed on your soul until you are drained. Afterwards they become teenagers and everything gets worse.

Here's another little thought experiment. How do you think the presidential race would have turned out if Sanders had never even tried challenging Clinton? For once, those overblown DNC emails would probably be even less of an issue.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 27, 2016

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Do you need remedial classes to learn how to read tone in addition to logic? I've heard Phoenix Online or Trump University might be of help to you.

I'm far from mad; in fact, I've had a wide grin on my face ever since I found out that my whiteness makes me incapable to have a legitimate opinion on marijuana laws, especially with regards to minorities being unduly punished under an unjust Prohibition regime that should be scrapped entirely.

Like, I'm totally 100% in agreement with you that legalization should have happened decades ago, let alone right now. I just find it rich and incredibly amusing that my ethnicity prevents me from having a right to an opinion on the issue, let alone my actual real-world experience and time spent literally working - in my own small but sure way, the slow and steady thing that baffles you, remember? - towards the end of Prohibition step by step, block by block.

Here's a question for you: what work have you done outside of typing words at me on a forums? Or is your skin color enough to be smug and self-satisfied enough with?

My skin color is actually white :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

EugeneJ posted:

I imagine they will do so, if with the caveat that they will probably not pointlessly excoriate her if the obstacle is "the Republicans repeatedly shut down the government and attempt to transfer nuclear weapons to South Carolina state arsenals".

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Let's ask HA Goodman.
How Hillary's Inauguration Shows A Way For Bernie To Win

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lots of people who haven't been a stay at home parent talking about how easy and fun it is up in here

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Here's another little though experiment. How do you think the presidential race would have turned out if Sanders had never even tried challenging Clinton? For once, those overblown DNC emails would probably be even less of an issue.

Like if she ran in the primary unopposed?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Your post should be colored white so we can't see it

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Doorknob Slobber posted:

lots of people who haven't been a stay at home parent talking about how easy and fun it is up in here

they just sit around and eat bon bons all day

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

I think I finally really understand arzying. Maybe today I'm nervous and anxious in general. And I know that it's an unreasonable thought. But I just can't shake the feeling what happens if Trump wins. There are 12 more days. And I don't expect him to pull it around, but a steady drip would really annoy me.
Why can't Hillary's numbers just keep on growing, like they are supposed to? 20% Trump win is still way to loving likely. Just imagine that. One in five universes has a President Donald J Trump!
Yeah, I feel you. President Romney was a much more plausible prospect at this point in 2012 than President Trump is now, but I never felt as miserable about it then as I do now. I think it's Trump himself being so much worse than what we're used to. Everything Trump does that hurts him and drives down his chances also makes the prospect of him winning increasingly terrifying. Even a couple of months ago I'd have thought 'the election of Donald Trump means the end of the American democracy as we know it' was hyperbole, but with the course he's taken since the first debate it seems plausible now. Even if the polls had him polling at sub 10% and the only people at his rallies came to throw rotten fruit at him, I'd still be a little uneasy until November 9th.

Edit: Like, at his rally now, he's telling the audience about Hillary's terrible tax policies, then off the cuff says "Just thinking to myself right now, we should just cancel the election and give it to Trump, right? What are we even having it for? What are having it for? Her policies are so bad!"

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 27, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Here's another little though experiment. How do you think the presidential race would have turned out if Sanders had never even tried challenging Clinton? For once, those overblown DNC emails would probably be even less of an issue.

Probably much the same and she would be running on a worse platform.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Like if she ran in the primary unopposed?

Yes. The other guy whose name I forgot might have still tried it.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 27, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also Obama really didn't pull a 180 so much as started walking forward and then got one of his legs cut off so he could only slowly bounce forward.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Apraxin posted:

Yeah, I feel you. President Romney was a much more plausible prospect at this point in 2012 than President Trump is now, but I never felt as miserable about it then as I do now. I think it's Trump himself being so much worse than what we're used to. Everything Trump does that hurts him and drives down his chances also makes the prospect of him winning increasingly terrifying. Even a couple of months ago I'd have thought 'the election of Donald Trump means the end of the American democracy as we know it' was hyperbole, but with the course he's taken since the first debate it seems plausible now. Even if the polls had him polling at sub 10% and the only people at his rallies came to throw rotten fruit at him, I'd still be a little uneasy until November 9th.

Are you here illegally or something

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Being a stay at home parent is easy. Watch some TV, check on the kids, make sure the latch to their cages are secure, take a nap, fill their bottles and attach it to the side of the cage, make sure their running wheel works, go for a jog yourself. Super simple stuff guys.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Lord Hydronium posted:

How Hillary's Inauguration Shows A Way For Bernie To Win

Bernie as designated survivor

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yes. The other guy who's name I forgot might have still tried it.

You mean Martin O'Malley and his traveling gun show

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'd rather be a stay at home dad than do my current job. Like maybe I'm weird, but I find being a "home-maker" (for lack of a better term) is way cooler than getting a legit career.

Cooking is fun. Playing with your kids is fun. Cleaning and making a neat house is fun. I don't find any of that stuff particularly drudging.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

boner confessor posted:

This is another fun example of society not believing a woman because she didn't emote correctly then we turned her tragedy into a joke because of a line in a movie.

The mom went to prison for basically not breaking down on TV.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Dexo posted:

Also Obama really didn't pull a 180 so much as started walking forward and then got one of his legs cut off so he could only slowly bounce forward.

Lmao kangaroo Obama is such a good mental image tho.

EugeneJ posted:

Are you here illegally or something

Oh go gently caress yourself.

You mean Martin O'Malley and his traveling gun show

God :drat: I'm moderately aroused and I'm straight. :stare:

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

:sparkles: What a shock! :sparkles:

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Xarthor posted:

Welp, time to start Arzying!!!!1
(This one one of the top stories on Drudge, btw.)

http://www.wctrib.com/news/local/4144816-trump-comes-out-ahead-willmar-high-school-mock-election

Trump wins among voters without a high school diploma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/303034-trump-aide-we-have-three-major-voter-suppression

did this get posted? Unnamed source, but a "senior Trump official" actually used the sentence "We have three major voter suppression operations under way"

• Locked thread