Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I personally didn't like it because it felt cruel. It's one thing to have them go naked in their imaginations for the sake of the audience, but it's quite different to have them actually be in their underwear in the middle of the room. It's a bit mean spirited, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yeah, fried bear meat and god sauce sound good, but it's hardly the coolest dish we've seen in the series to warrant this sort of reaction.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Compendium posted:

Yeah, fried bear meat and god sauce sound good, but it's hardly the coolest dish we've seen in the series to warrant this sort of reaction.

Would you say it's an... Unbearable cop-out?

:negative:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Please, put all puns on paws.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The stripping thing is illusion you know. All three have their clothes back in the next panels they appear in. This isn't really that different from all the stripping that goes on from chapter one (although it had been toned down for a while).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ChronoReverse posted:

The stripping thing is illusion you know. All three have their clothes back in the next panels they appear in. This isn't really that different from all the stripping that goes on from chapter one (although it had been toned down for a while).

that just raises more questions!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that just raises more questions!

The smell of Soma's food is making it a shared hallucination.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Clarste posted:

I personally didn't like it because it felt cruel. It's one thing to have them go naked in their imaginations for the sake of the audience, but it's quite different to have them actually be in their underwear in the middle of the room. It's a bit mean spirited, I guess?

It's just an illusion. I don't think they literally took their clothes off anymore than Soe's clothes literally exploded. Theres's a lot of blurred lines with regards to how that stripping works. Neither Alice or Erina do it though, which is weird given that its a fanservice manga.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
http://mangastream.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/189/3759/5

Dude's clothes get blown off, but are back next panel.

It's dumb fanservice, don't look too much into it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
except the audience had a discussion about how and why they stripped, meaning they all saw it. the whole thing is very confusing.

by comparison, bad grandpa just takes off his clothes normally.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And there was the Megumi vs. Kurokiba match, where Senzaemon's fundoshi actually came undone.

Sometimes, a dumb manga is a dumb manga, and you just just let it go and ride. =P

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

except the audience had a discussion about how and why they stripped, meaning they all saw it. the whole thing is very confusing.

I wonder what bad grandpa's up to, anyways?

Maybe he'll show up randomly at PSD at Christmas with gift cards for the Nakiris.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

What's so confusing about that? This isn't rocket science; they all saw a shared illusion brought about by how "powerful" Souma's dish was.

It's a _joke_. It's the entire gimmick of this manga that food is so good that clothes get blown off and people orgasm.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nah, the joke up until now is that the nakiri family deliberately strips and everyone else only gets naked or turns into a magical girl inside their own heads. there is a big difference between overreacting about food and food causing widespread hallucinations.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Right, illusions are so much more different than bending people to your will because the food is so good and deliciousness so strong that it can physically undo your underwear without you knowing it.

I also think this particular arc has been weak but let's not pretend it actually swerved into Yakitate territory here (which jumped the shark with changing time itself).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yes, food physically affecting people who did not eat it is indeed very different from overreacting after eating it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
When's bad grandpa's family cooking vacation arc (that Souma inexplicably gets invited on)?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

When's bad grandpa's family cooking vacation arc (that Souma inexplicably gets invited on)?

I don't think it would be inexplicable: Grandpa presumably ships Soma with his granddaughter given he asked him to "save" Erina for basically no real reason.

I think the most interesting implication from the backlash to Hayama's heel turn is that I assumed Erina would get another arc where she either sides with Azami or pretends to side with him, but I'm guessing its a lot less likely to go that route now.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 27, 2016

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The real reason is eugenics. Soma's dad is presumably one of the best cooks in the world and he wanted to pair that with his family's God Tongue except it couldn't work in his son's generation because two dicks don't make a baby so he waited for the next generation.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Eej posted:

The real reason is eugenics. Soma's dad is presumably one of the best cooks in the world and he wanted to pair that with his family's God Tongue except it couldn't work in his son's generation because two dicks don't make a baby so he waited for the next generation.

If there were any eugenics going on, it would be to combine the God Tongue with the Nose, but I don't know anyone who ships that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think we should be talking instead about how Hayama knows the secret of the Spin.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

Soe had a sister so that's not it. Unless Erina's a test tube baby or literally Jesus :v:

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 28, 2016

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Actually good point, I don't think it's ever said that Azami has the God Tongue so maybe it was a happy accident he wants to take the opportunity to mix THE GOD TONGUE with THE MOST CREATIVE COOKING MIND

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

ChronoReverse posted:

I also think this particular arc has been weak but let's not pretend it actually swerved into Yakitate territory here (which jumped the shark with changing time itself).

Nah, the finale for the big tournament in France was legitimately great.

It was everything after that that sucked.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yakitate japan got really bad once the reactions became elaborate performance art and then got worse once they became permanent disfigurements based on terrible puns. they just weren't funny, and trying harder and harder to make the same joke for years dragged everything else down.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
At some point, I even forgot that it was supposed to be about baking. I remember a few of the breads from the first half of the series, second half, I don't even remember.

And at least we'll remember bears because of this arc in Shokugeki.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

Actually good point, I don't think it's ever said that Azami has the God Tongue so maybe it was a happy accident he wants to take the opportunity to mix THE GOD TONGUE with THE MOST CREATIVE COOKING MIND

erina is the only one with the gods tongue it is one of those once in a hundred years type things i think

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

BlitzBlast posted:

Nah, the finale for the big tournament in France was legitimately great.

It was everything after that that sucked.

Yeah, having "bread so good it can change time" was a great climax to that arc. It's just that the series didn't end there, and there's really no way to trump that reaction, so it just got stranger and stranger as time went on.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Since I'm getting bored of bear meat arc, I'm rereading some chapters, and man the lack of a kitchen is getting to me because I love the dish from the Stagiaire Arc

Please give me the crispy roast bird stuffed with cheesy egg risotto...

Compendium fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 29, 2016

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Irisize posted:

Yeah, having "bread so good it can change time" was a great climax to that arc. It's just that the series didn't end there, and there's really no way to trump that reaction, so it just got stranger and stranger as time went on.

That was the pinnacle for me. I love how when they got back to the present people were like "YOU DID IT but why did you try to come up with such an amazing bread?" "Huh. I dunno. Feel like I put a lot of effort into this for some reason."

I'm not liking the current battle, but at least it's pretty short. I hope they cut to what happens in some of the other battles in the next chapter.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I went and reread the Monaco arc, and what really makes the time travel work is that it's a legitimate happy ending for Pierrot. We spent the whole arc getting to know him and his struggles, so even if the reaction was completely over-the-top I was okay with it. Because I wanted that guy to have a happy ending, because he deserved it.

Too bad about loving Yakitate 25, though. Best just to pretend it all ended after the Monaco cup.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Shokugeki shifts gears pretty quick and that's one of the things I like about it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Elfgames posted:

erina is the only one with the gods tongue it is one of those once in a hundred years type things i think

Maybe in the end he's just an old man who has more important things to do than running a world renowned cooking school, like playing secret matchmaker for his granddaughter

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

The last 4-5 weeks Soma's been ranked 10th or so out of 13 consistently when it normally ranges anywhere from 1st to 8th or so (the last time it placed highly was the train chapter where it got 2nd). And given that's for chapter ~182 and this plot hasn't stepped up at all since then, that rank isn't going to change much in the next few weeks. It's a fairly big deal for a series because that ranking can be a major contributing factor on whether or not it gets axed from the magazine. Big enough that the author actually made a twitter post commenting on the recent reception: https://twitter.com/tsukudayuto/status/790913605558411264 saying essentially that he knows the fight with Hayama hasn't been well received, but that it was a plot he felt necessary to include.

On one hand, it is admirable that he is deciding to stick to this even if I have to call into question if this truly was the best way to go about it.

On the other hand, he's dealing with Weekly Shonen Jump, for fucks sake. He should know what snake he's handling and the non-existant patience the readers have for everything except stupid elongated love triangles.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 30, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

On the other hand, he's dealing with Weekly Shonen Jump, for fucks sake. He should know what snake he's handling and the non-existant patience the readers have for everything except stupid elongated love triangles.

Incidentally (not really a love triangle though) the highest ranked chapters in the last two months were the chapter with Souma and Erina talking on the train (ranked 2nd), and Souma, Alice, and Ryou figuring out a workaround for the hosed up salmon (1st or 2nd, I can't remember).

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

Maybe in the end he's just an old man who has more important things to do than running a world renowned cooking school, like playing secret matchmaker for his granddaughter

yeah sure i'd much more easily believe he was doing it out of boredom than genetics. hell if she's going to take over the tootski brand she needs to learn some drat social skills so i could buy him just wanting her not to be a shut in

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REZALxrv-6E

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Woot! Just finished serving the nice Autumnal 2016 dinner. The theme for the party was Masquerade (though because I'm a spaz I forgot to get pics of everyone in their costumes argh). However, I did have a friend take photos of the food as I was plating.

The food theme however was an autumnal menu.

1. Amuse Bouche Course: Sunchoke Chowder. Spicy seasonal puree of sunchokes, with roasted sunchokes and fresh chopped parsley on top. Served alongside an allspice liqueur aperitif.

2. Appetizer Course 1: Trio of vegetables! Sous vide butter-glazed carrots. Very sweet and super carrotey since the sous vide technique really locks in the flavor. Sauteed marbled potatoes seasoned with rosemary oil. Blanched and sauteed asparagus tips with a sauce of tangy lemon-pepper butter.

3. Appetizer Course 2: Duet of mushroom canapes. One on the left is mushrooms glazed in a balsamic vinegar and red wine reduction, on toast smeared with brown butter and topped with fresh tarragon (or as my French coworker once insisted, estragon). The one on the right is mushroom marsala ragout on toast drizzled with rosemary oil and topped with fresh chopped parsley.

4. Palate Cleanser: Strawberry Cordial Sorbet in China Spoons. A sorbet of pureed strawberries and special crisp herbs to give it a refreshing finish on the palate. Really washes away the richness of the canapes and prepares you for the really rich main to come.

5. Main Course: Poulet Nuptiale! The star of the dinner tonight and is an original dish of my own creation. Poulet Nuptiale (Wedding Chicken) is a play on the traditional French dish Poulet Demi-Dueil (Chicken in Half-Mourning), which is a roasted chicken stuffed with black truffle slices under the skin so that when baked, the chicken is black and looks like it's on its way to a funeral. Poulet Nuptiale on the other hand is a deboned chicken leg marinaded in white truffle oil and spices, stuffed with a mushroom duxelle and parmesan cheese, and cooked sous vide for 5 hours. The cheese within becomes a melty, delicious sauce on its own. The chicken becomes tender as all gently caress.

The chicken is then sliced into medallions and served on a bed of white corn truffled polenta, drizzled with a sauce made from the bag juices, and garnished with a parmesan crisp. Alongside it are a sous vide poached egg and a salad garnished with a basic apple cider vinaigrette. The salad is garnished with cooked red and yellow beets and pickled red onion.

Images of the plating follows:

6. Second Palate Cleanser: Trio of seasonal sorbets. I really wanted to go with autumn colors but things didn't turn out that way. Cranberry sauce sorbet, mulled apple cider sorbet, and black mission fig and port sorbet garnished with pomegranate seeds.

7. Dessert Plate: Trio of Desserts. Pumpkin pancakes with spice butter and real maple syrup. Mulled apple cider jelly. Beetroot ice cream (lactose free since it's made with coconut cream). Nice and earthy way to end a meal.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go collapse in happy exhaustion.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 31, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dang dude you really love sous vide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

dang dude you really love sous vide

Show me someone who doesn't love sous vide, and I will show you a moron.