Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
so do Courting gifts work on anyone? all my space-baes just shrug when i give them one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Proud Christian Mom posted:

so do Courting gifts work on anyone? all my space-baes just shrug when i give them one

I think Doc likes them. He probably regifts them to his ladyfriends.

Actual useful information:
http://dulfy.net/2015/10/21/swtor-fallen-empire-companion-influences-guide/

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

They're broken...have been all of 4.0.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I was hoping they'd of been fixed during my 7 month absence lawl

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

I was hoping they'd of been fixed during my 7 month absence lawl

It's almost as though this game is being developed by a skeleton crew in order to extract maximum profit for a bare minimum of effort :v:

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Medullah posted:

So you bought a lot of Hypercrates, the good news is you probably got almost everything else and you should be able to sell the extra stuff at largely inflated prices, because boy howdy is nothing on the GTN cheap right now. :D

Bad news is...inflation will only get worse with the expansion, depending on what the conversion ratio of crystals/comms to credits is. :(

When I buy a stack of Hutt Bux I don't really think of it in terms of buying products, more like a Patreon donation or something. I like what Bioware is doing and I enjoy supporting their efforts. I had a few years where I was broke as gently caress and $15 for a game subscription was my entire month's budget for entertainment. Now that I have disposable income again, I'm happy to throw some of it to the good people who kept me going through those times.

I get a random assortment of cool in-game poo poo in exchange for that, and I feel like that's fair, even when I don't get all the coolest things immediately every time. Some new packs I skip and just pick a few things up on the GTN, others I buy a shitload of them. I liked everything in this pack and went hog wild, cause it's been a while.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's almost as though this game is being developed by a skeleton crew in order to extract maximum profit for a bare minimum of effort :v:

Didn't they fire something like 200 people immediately after launch? It's felt understaffed from the beginning; I'm pretty happy that it's still here at all. :)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

prefect posted:

Didn't they fire something like 200 people immediately after launch?

That's normal.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

So, the vanilla story ends at Illum, is that it? I hope the DLC/Xpac story is a bit better cause all these "Go to X place and do Y then get back to X to get a new one" quests in the vanilla storyline are starting to annoy me :|

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Nerd Of Prey posted:

When I buy a stack of Hutt Bux I don't really think of it in terms of buying products, more like a Patreon donation or something. I like what Bioware is doing and I enjoy supporting their efforts. I had a few years where I was broke as gently caress and $15 for a game subscription was my entire month's budget for entertainment. Now that I have disposable income again, I'm happy to throw some of it to the good people who kept me going through those times.

I get a random assortment of cool in-game poo poo in exchange for that, and I feel like that's fair, even when I don't get all the coolest things immediately every time. Some new packs I skip and just pick a few things up on the GTN, others I buy a shitload of them. I liked everything in this pack and went hog wild, cause it's been a while.

Same. I'm from the EQ era where we bought a $40 expansion twice a year and didn't even loving blink, so buying a small handful of CC here and there is practically a joke.

madstrike posted:

So, the vanilla story ends at Illum, is that it? I hope the DLC/Xpac story is a bit better cause all these "Go to X place and do Y then get back to X to get a new one" quests in the vanilla storyline are starting to annoy me :|

Yes, ends at Ilum, and that playstyle is going to continue through the SoR expansion but after that, the game is on rails with cutscenes.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 26, 2016

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I really, really want to give Bioware money because I loving love Star Wars but they make it really hard with how awful the Hypercrates are...the last one gave me 8 copies of the same Indestructible crystal and zero gold or platinum items. The Grand Chance Cubes do nothing for me since I have hundreds of millions of credits and am 100% on mounts, color crystals, emotes, weapons, toys, decos, and pets minus the time card ones. The armors have been fairly meh recently as well, the Secret Agent set was the first must have for me since the Sith Recluse set. I'm not a big fan of the Zakuul aesthetic.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

I really, really want to give Bioware money because I loving love Star Wars but they make it really hard with how awful the Hypercrates are...the last one gave me 8 copies of the same Indestructible crystal and zero gold or platinum items. The Grand Chance Cubes do nothing for me since I have hundreds of millions of credits and am 100% on mounts, color crystals, emotes, weapons, toys, decos, and pets minus the time card ones. The armors have been fairly meh recently as well, the Secret Agent set was the first must have for me since the Sith Recluse set. I'm not a big fan of the Zakuul aesthetic.

Out of curiosity, what would make hypercrates attractive to you? With that amount of space-cash, wouldn't you just buy everything you like off the GTN anyway?

I'm not even sure what would do it for me. Maybe if they upped the chance for gold/platinums? I "only" have ~200 million and it's very rare that a whole hypercrate does anything for me. I usually buy items piecemeal off the GTN.

Hulk Smash! fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 27, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I think the old model of Hypercrates was best. Sure you ended up with 20 pairs of cybernetic gloves, but you knew if you got a couple Hypercrates you would boost your reputation up with that particular faction and be able to buy some hard to find items. Plus the rare toys and emotes stayed rare.

Now with chance cubes everything is available, though still expensive because of hyperinflation.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Medullah posted:

Here I'll rephrase your question -

"I don't understand why Bioware wants us spending $20+ in game for a chance at what I want rather than just allowing us to spend $3 to buy the item outright!"

:)

The mounts you can buy on the shop are $20.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I liked whenever they had those bronze/silver/gold armor/weapon/etc packs at the start of 4.0. At least then you could kind of price into what you wanted and if you already had it you could just turn around and sell it.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Hulk Smash! posted:

Out of curiosity, what would make hypercrates attractive to you? With that amount of space-cash, would't you just buy everything you like off the GTN anyway?

I'm not even sure what would do it for me. Maybe if they upped the chance for gold/platinums? I "only" have ~200 million and it's very rare that a whole hypercrate does anything for me. I usually buy items piecemeal off the GTN.

As Medullah says bringing back Reputations with titles would help. I'd replace the companion gifts with them.

I would also replace one of the Hypercrate packs with a guaranteed gold/platinum (from that pack) item/armor set that would permanently bind when you claim it.

Replace Grand Chance Cubes with Cartel Certificates and put all old Cartel items on vendors. Allow these Certificates to be sold on the GTN.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

I would also replace one of the Hypercrate packs with a guaranteed gold/platinum (from that pack) item/armor set that would permanently bind when you claim it.
I like this. That'd be cool.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They did that.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

They did that.

Yeah the Platinum Packs. I'm advocating dropping the entire Armor Set...the Platinum Packs would drop a single piece of a set and the less desirable pieces (belt, bracers, gloves) had a much higher chance of dropping. They also included crystals and other not so rare items.

The tradeoff is that the items would be BoP on the character that claims them.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Is the Going Places Bundle worth picking up, especially as it's on sale? It's got that Rocket Boost I've been hearing so much about and other things that seem to be good, but I just don't know how any of these unlocks work.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

rantmo posted:

Is the Going Places Bundle worth picking up, especially as it's on sale? It's got that Rocket Boost I've been hearing so much about and other things that seem to be good, but I just don't know how any of these unlocks work.

You want Rocket Boost and the Going Places bundle on sale is actually cheaper than unlocking Rocket Boost so yeah. It'll unlock Rocket Boost for every character you make on that server. The other items are one time use that won't last you long but hey free's free.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

I said come in! posted:

I don't understand Hypercrates, why can't I just buy what I want individually? :/ I only want the pets and mounts.

To them, people playing the slots is better monetarily than just buying outright. It's the only reasonable explanation.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It seems odd that Legacy Unlocks don't unlock for the entire Legacy.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

rantmo posted:

It seems odd that Legacy Unlocks don't unlock for the entire Legacy.

But they do. Legacy is per server however. Character wide, like collections, is across at least region (EU/NA), if not across all servers. Maybe you are thinking about the character unlocks in the legacy window?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It was the Character Perks in the Going Places Bundle that I mean, like it grants "Legacy Unlock: Improved Exploration Experience I" but that only actually applies to once character in my Legacy, the others have to just pay the credits for it.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Actually beat through all of fallen empire after shelving it last November for the dark vs light bennies. One problem that always lashed out at me about Arcann is that all his fights involve poo poo like knocking himself out with his own lightning and huddling up behind a literal shield to reflect his moves back at him in the finest zelda fashion and then the cutscenes kick back in and I'm on the back foot against this transcended master of the force and slapstick comedy.

All I got from my packs was a couple dozen red crystals and several pairs of tulok hords pants.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

<Hoarder> ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.

So I guess that means you don't want me adding goodies to the guild bank anymore?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Has anyone kept count of the number of times a TOR patch noted that the piles-of-corpses-everywhere bug's been fixed?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

nonentity posted:

So I guess that means you don't want me adding goodies to the guild bank anymore?

Oops, I gave you a new special rank so you could deposit and withdraw, must have missed permissions. I'll fix tonight.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I just listed my Senya lightsaber on the GTN...

It's literally the only Senya weapon the GTN on my entire server. I listed it at 100 million and I'm wondering if that's actually too low, given the circumstances. I don't have a baseline for being the only dude with a super rare weapon. I have no idea what the lightsaber or the pike will actually go for once other people start listing them. If I'm lucky, some rich rear end in a top hat will buy it, and I can wait a couple weeks and buy the pike for half that.

I actually really like the regular lightsaber, too, and I'd just keep it if things were different. It's just that I have a really good lightsaber collection already, but my pike collection is holding steady at zero.

Hell, if I'm really lucky, I can buy BOTH after selling the one.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

To be fair, the patch today claimed almost every unbound Senya lightsaber so the supply is miniscule. :)

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.

Medullah posted:

To be fair, the patch today claimed almost every unbound Senya lightsaber so the supply is miniscule. :)

I have one of each: the pike, I placed in the guild bank for FUN AND PROFIT STYLE CONTEST FOR GREATNESS.

No idea what they're worth at the moment.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

nonentity posted:

I have one of each: the pike, I placed in the guild bank for FUN AND PROFIT STYLE CONTEST FOR GREATNESS.

No idea what they're worth at the moment.

Strange, I don't see it in the guild bank.

On another note, I got the pike with my Assassin and it looks great! ;)

We'll have to dream up a fun contest. Perhaps something with pubbie shaming.

Edit - Man, the Frontier Hunter's Blaster Rifle looks sweet too, I'm assuming that's you too.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 27, 2016

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Who do I poke for a guild invite? Akravator is the name

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I guess there is a lot of newer people entering the thread due to the expansion, but I just wanted to ask a couple of questions. Sorry if it's been repeated already :/

I used to play WoW and also dabbled a bit in FFXIV, but I just can't be bothered keeping a sub up. I don't mind paying for things but just a monthly sub makes me feel like I'm wasting money every month on it. What I miss about WoW (I stopped playing just before Ulduar in Wrath, so a while back) was how fun some of the classes felt like a Resto Druid at the time, Unholy DK or the Affliction warlock in Burning Crusade. In FFXIV I played a Summoner but not for long, that was fun too but felt a bit slow.

SO questions-

1. I figured being made by bioware this game will avoid the usual jank I've seen in a lot of other f2p mmos? IS THIS TRUE

2. How difficult is it playing a healer while levelling? Is there any companion class?

3. I'm seeing a lot of "sub with something to get some benefits", how much do they turn on or off? I'm happy to get that Amazon one for 90 days time but after that will it be like suddenly my inventory turns to poo poo and I'm only able to hold 3 items and 2 dollars?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

At this point, beginning with 5.0 the game is going to pretty much require a sub if you want to do any type of endgame activity or PvP.

Subbing for a month will give you all of the content that's available until you're sub ends, and Preferred status will basically allow you to play the game as a single player RPG with 8 different characters. But you can't do anything at endgame without a sub.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

teacup posted:

I guess there is a lot of newer people entering the thread due to the expansion, but I just wanted to ask a couple of questions. Sorry if it's been repeated already :/

I used to play WoW and also dabbled a bit in FFXIV, but I just can't be bothered keeping a sub up. I don't mind paying for things but just a monthly sub makes me feel like I'm wasting money every month on it. What I miss about WoW (I stopped playing just before Ulduar in Wrath, so a while back) was how fun some of the classes felt like a Resto Druid at the time, Unholy DK or the Affliction warlock in Burning Crusade. In FFXIV I played a Summoner but not for long, that was fun too but felt a bit slow.

SO questions-

1. I figured being made by bioware this game will avoid the usual jank I've seen in a lot of other f2p mmos? IS THIS TRUE

2. How difficult is it playing a healer while levelling? Is there any companion class?

3. I'm seeing a lot of "sub with something to get some benefits", how much do they turn on or off? I'm happy to get that Amazon one for 90 days time but after that will it be like suddenly my inventory turns to poo poo and I'm only able to hold 3 items and 2 dollars?

WoW is pretty fun again with the class overhaul. But since we're in the SWTOR thread:

1. Depends on what you consider "jank," but it's better than any other f2p I've played.
2. Not hard, just a little slow. All companions can toggle between all roles, so it's whatever. If you like healing then pick a class accordingly, but maybe run in a dps/off heal spec while leveling. I'd recommend Sith sorcerer.
3. After you sub once you're always considered preferred and never get the worst f2p restrictions again after the sub lapses. If you use a referral code for the 7 free days before you sub then you get some lifetime unlocks that further reduce the restrictions, and if you focus on spending CC to buy quality of life unlocks then you basically end up with a free account that's 90% of a paid sub.

I sub for a month once in a while to ungate new solo expansion content since it stays available forever once unlocked and to binge on endgame content, and this works well for me. The f2p part just makes in nice to check in occasionally while you're focusing on other games, and then come back to sub when you're ready to spend more time in the game.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Sometimes, on my Jugg, I throw my saber and it doesn't come back to me. I get stuck in the pose and can run around looking like an idiot until I use another combat action, and it persists through mounting.

Other times, the saber comes back but I stay in the pose with it whirling around just out of grasp under my hand.

It's beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Magmarashi posted:

Sometimes, on my Jugg, I throw my saber and it doesn't come back to me. I get stuck in the pose and can run around looking like an idiot until I use another combat action, and it persists through mounting.

Other times, the saber comes back but I stay in the pose with it whirling around just out of grasp under my hand.

It's beautiful.

My favorite has always been when my marauder uses force camouflage and doesn't reappear. Just two swords floating in air, like an Enchanter pet in EverQuest

• Locked thread