Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Helsing posted:

Assuming you would fit in there and have a decent social circle and economic prospects why would you ever not prefer to live in western Europe rather than Canada? That's madness. God live in France dude, this country sucks.

I dont fit in anywhere :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The most striking thing about watching Jennifer Hollet trying (and eventually succeeding at) winning an NDP nomination was how obvious it seemed that only a few years earlier she would have been a progressive-leaning federal Liberal. She had no political experience or strong views, just a sort of vague desire to "make a difference" and to "start conversations". While she as an individual is probably committed to the NDP from now on, I assume that people just like her but a few years earlier have already gravitated back to the Liberal party and brand.

But there will always be dieahrd NDP loyalists who don't care about anything except increasing the number of NDP seats, and a lot of those people still seem committed to the idea that being a centrist party with slightly better technocratic policies than the Liberals is the most plausible way to eventually forming government, so literally any amount of compromise, backroom dealing or selling-out is worth it to achieve that goal, and literally nothing could be worse than relaxing the central party's grip a little bit and letting the activists or local riding associations have a hand at crafting policy.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

As I recall it, he said "Justin", not "Mr Trudeau", presumably to emphasize how much older and wiser he was than the young Liberal neophyte. Because what people really wanted from the NDP leader was cynicism, condescension and character assassination.

The really remarkable thing about Mulcair, though, was that this apparently wasn't an act. He went and gave the exact same kind of performance at the NDP convention, apparently not recognizing how precarious his own position was. So in light of those events I guess we need to accept that in addition to be a cynic Mulcair and the people around him were clearly just outright incompetent, even at being political hacks. So the party sold out for a Thatcherite who couldn't even deliver the one thing he promised.

Edit -- Just looked it up and it was "Mr Trudeau". But Mulcair not even giving Trudeau one or two sentences to answer, before he started hectoring him, was seriously not a good look. I want to argue that my mis-remembering it kinda speaks to what the tone of the exchange was though.

"What's the number Justin?" at 15s. I liked Mulcair's cynicism, made him seem human. Angry Mulcair was a rockstar before the election, it just got weird when he tried to tone it down and smile. I think 5 debates was enough, more than enough even. I'm not sure how much more of this I could take, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4h_o4OrDnU&t=51s.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Helsing posted:

The most striking thing about watching Jennifer Hollet trying (and eventually succeeding at) winning an NDP nomination was how obvious it seemed that only a few years earlier she would have been a progressive-leaning federal Liberal. She had no political experience or strong views, just a sort of vague desire to "make a difference" and to "start conversations". While she as an individual is probably committed to the NDP from now on, I assume that people just like her but a few years earlier have already gravitated back to the Liberal party and brand.

But there will always be dieahrd NDP loyalists who don't care about anything except increasing the number of NDP seats, and a lot of those people still seem committed to the idea that being a centrist party with slightly better technocratic policies than the Liberals is the most plausible way to eventually forming government, so literally any amount of compromise, backroom dealing or selling-out is worth it to achieve that goal, and literally nothing could be worse than relaxing the central party's grip a little bit and letting the activists or local riding associations have a hand at crafting policy.
I don't get this strategy because if you gently caress up there's nothing stopping voters from dumping you entirely for the new guy. CPC voters stick due to moral issues so they only have to wait for the left to gently caress up so they win enough swing voters. Basing your entire future on swing voters with centrist and populist rhetoric is just going to fail or give you boom/busy situations when the other party fucks up.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Angry Mulcair was fun when he was angry about C-51 or C-26 or all dumb poo poo Harper was doing. Getting angry about the specifics of a referendum was puzzling, considering that the younger voters the NDP should be trying to rally were probably more worried about their Pokemon Cards in 95.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CLAM DOWN posted:

I agree, vaccines are dumb and pointless and wifi is murdering us all slowly and painfully.

It's also worth noting that, given the Green Party is full of morons and crazy people, the message to the other parties isn't "be more left wing" when you vote for them, it's "there's an imbecile who can probably never be reached because their brain is bad and broken." None of the other parties want to go fishing in that pond, for obvious reasons.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Wow PT6A is.... right??

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

PT6A posted:

It's also worth noting that, given the Green Party is full of morons and crazy people, the message to the other parties isn't "be more left wing" when you vote for them, it's "there's an imbecile who can probably never be reached because their brain is bad and broken." None of the other parties want to go fishing in that pond, for obvious reasons.

This is like saying conservatives who vote for the CPC because of their political platform have bad and broken brains because that party is full of morons and crazy people who are anti-abortion and anti-LGBT rights. Just because you disagree with some fringe elements of a party doesn't mean you disagree with the entire platform. Please point me to the GPC platform point that suggests banning vaccines and wifi.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Three Hole Punk posted:

Wow PT6A is.... right??

Broken clocks, etc.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jan posted:

This is like saying conservatives who vote for the CPC because of their political platform have bad and broken brains because that party is full of morons and crazy people who are anti-abortion and anti-LGBT rights. Just because you disagree with some fringe elements of a party doesn't mean you disagree with the entire platform. Please point me to the GPC platform point that suggests banning vaccines and wifi.

Well, to be fair, that exact point is why I stopped voting for those bastards and am now happy with a Liberal government doing most of the same poo poo without any of the crazy xenophobic/homophobic/sexist bullshit.

The system works! :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jan posted:

Have you ever listened to Elizabeth May? Read her Twitter? Remember, she asked the House of Commons to study loving chemtrails.

I volunteered for the Green Party back in high school and yeah, they're full of nutjobs. Nice people that shouldn't be anywhere near science policy, which is saying a lot because they're supposed to be the Green Party. For bonus points, the background of the party was all legacy apparatus from the Reform Party of all things. The Green Party is just a loving mess that doesn't do anything to make it worthwhile.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

cowofwar posted:

Not many voter groups left after the major parties have had their pickings except the maligned whackos by definition. Fringe parties always shed their crazy policies and voters as they increase in popularity and get moved to the center.

I dunno dude, it pretty consistently sounds like nobody in here supports any of the 3 major parties, and simultaneously think the greens are a joke.
So...... wtf? Is it possible that all the parties are poo poo and don't represent anyone's views halfway competently? :stonk:

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I was 1 one of 4393 people to vote Communist and I agree with their platform wholeheartedly.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

P.d0t posted:

I dunno dude, it pretty consistently sounds like nobody in here supports any of the 3 major parties, and simultaneously think the greens are a joke.
So...... wtf? Is it possible that all the parties are poo poo and don't represent anyone's views halfway competently? :stonk:

Most of us begrudgingly support the NDP as the best of three bad options.

Also bear in mind that most CanPol regulars are far to the left of the Canadian political spectrum. So yeah we see all the parties as pretty poo poo even if most of us are pragmatic enough to vote for the NDP as the least bad option. If you look at the general public instead you'll probably find that they're big fans of Justin Trudeau and even when presented with bad things he does, they say "Hey man get your act together! Not cool! I'll still vote for you though :) ". Speaking from experience with my own family here.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i think overall people place too much value on voting and overestimate what impact their vote has, it's infitismal and basically meaningless

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
seriously let's just form the Goon Party

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
a house for every neck-beard

a set of stairs in every house

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

RBC posted:

i think overall people place too much value on voting and overestimate what impact their vote has, it's infitismal and basically meaningless

Yeah, it's not like I can act smug about voting NDP, our MP is wildly popular (returned with a majority of the popular vote) and we're one of the QS seats at the provincial level. No other party gets over 20%.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm glad to be back in Canada, even if it was (very) economically disadvantageous. It's nice here, I like it. You're all great.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

I'm glad to be back in Canada, even if it was economically disadvantageous. It's nice here, I like it. You're all great.

Thanks, you too friend.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

lol
https://twitter.com/robgillezeau/status/791830534758334464

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think you mean "low wealth".

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao there is no such thing as a poor or low income Canadian. There are only people from humble backgrounds and normal people.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

vyelkin posted:

lmao there is no such thing as a poor or low income Canadian. There are only people from humble backgrounds and normal people.

I think you mean middle-class.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

I think you mean middle-class.

Goes without saying

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

Uh, I think you'll find that we're all middle-class, friend.

Edit: what I get for not refreshing

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Actually my favourite part of that is the implication that you can come from a humble background but not currently be of a humble status. You may have a humble past, but your present is your membership in the middle class along with the other 36,286,424 Canadians.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Help the middle class and those striving to join the middle class

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/robgillezeau/status/791855589794025472
🙃🙃🙃

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
why would we need electoral reform now that the liberals are in, and will rule for a million years?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

where is this happening it sounds like comedy gold.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

less than three posted:

Victoria BC :laffo:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

CLAM DOWN posted:

Victoria BC :laffo:

Guess she has a point about money and influence, there's no amount of money that'd make Christy Clark show up and hold a legislative session.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

vyelkin posted:

Actually my favourite part of that is the implication that you can come from a humble background but not currently be of a humble status. You may have a humble past, but your present is your membership in the middle class along with the other 36,286,424 Canadians.

Actually there are only 36,286,423 middle class Canadians. There's one rich guy, one poor guy, and everyone else is in the middle.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I hope the Liberals are reduced to unofficial party status next election just so I can see them freak out about needing electoral reform again.

And while Im hoping for things that will never happen, I also want a unicorn made out of diamonds.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

less than three posted:

Guess she has a point about money and influence, there's no amount of money that'd make Christy Clark show up and hold a legislative session.

Look at this guy who doesn't properly understand how a contract with the old ones works.

There is always a price.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Helsing posted:

Assuming you would fit in there and have a decent social circle and economic prospects why would you ever not prefer to live in western Europe rather than Canada? That's madness. God live in France dude, this country sucks.

I know this is a page late, but I'm in the UK right now after a brief stint in Poland in the old family homestead, and holy gently caress, even their small village near a small town (<40,000) is walkable. Even getting to the nearby large city still cost me only 13zł for an hour ride in a minibus.

I actually enjoyed walking and wasn't bored after even 500m of endless suburban sprawl.

mojo1701a fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 28, 2016

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

It is honestly easier to get around some 2nd and 3rd world countries than it is to get around in Rural Ontario without a car.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Yeah it's nuts, my favourite is going to rural Ontario and seeing some poor gently caress who's had one too many duis biking 400km with 40lbs of groceries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

less than three posted:

Quick, someone ask her if the envelopes she has received are red in colour