Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

kastein posted:

In Mass there's a gift declaration form that results in $0 tax, but you can only use it in certain circumstances - same last name, family member, once a year, etc etc.

Otherwise they take the value you paid, or the NADA fair condition value, whichever is greater, and charge you based on that. Ask me about the time I paid $260 in sales tax on a $300 Forester that I bought with no engine!

Same in WA, I would guess he falls under the first time gift for the car. I think a car can only be gifted once, or between every other owner. If he bought it for $one he would still owe tax on the NADA value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Maksimus54 posted:

Same in WA, I would guess he falls under the first time gift for the car. I think a car can only be gifted once, or between every other owner. If he bought it for $one he would still owe tax on the NADA value.

From what I remember a car can only be gifted once in Washington. Tho I have never had a problem with them charging me tax on just the purchase price listed on the bill of sale. I think the most hassle I had was one person saying that the price seemed really cheap, but I just explained it was a project car that needed a lot of work and that was enough for them.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Yeah, that's why you sell it for $one dollar.

They take the higher of the nada value or the sales price.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Where's the photos of the new shitheap?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

tater_salad posted:

Probable causemaro is broken due to fuel pump issue I think

Civic won't start after 2 days of work, probably due to stretched out anus timing belt.

14 inch needs to get to the "stupid decisions ITT truck"

He buys a $500 jeep from someone with the hopes it will get him there.

The bill of sale is hilarious.

I think we are all caught uo

Genuine thanks - I was completely confused there. So.... does this Jeep run and stuff like that?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It might? The bill of sale is pretty damming of its ability to move very far or at all on its own power.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
For 2 seconds and then off like clockwork for as long as you're willing to try

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

tater_salad posted:

It might? The bill of sale is pretty damming of its ability to move very far or at all on its own power.
THE DOL HAS NO SENSE OF HUMOR I GOT AN ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME OUT LOUD AT THE REGISTER THEN TOLD TAX ON MY GIFT IS $2600 MARKET VALUE UNLESS I GET A NEW BILL OF SALE SAYING 500 AND I ALREADY TRIED THE 5Ø0 TRICK AND THEY SAID IT WAS OBVIOUSLY ALTERED YO A HIGHER SALE PRICE AND THEY COULD NOT ACCEPT IT

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

Are the tabs current? If so I'd just put it on your insurance over the phone then head out with your bill of sale and clean up the paperwork when if you return. Based on every episode of COPS I've seen that's SOP right? "I just bought this car officer..."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

How much would the tax actually be, on a $2600 valuation? like $50?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

gently caress THE SYSTEM THEY ALWAYS TRYING TO gently caress YOU TO GET THEIR TAX MONEY.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Isn't Washington 9%?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wait, you pay sales tax on a private sale of a used good? I thought it'd just be a general vehicle tax.

Yeah if it's 9% then gently caress that noise.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

14 BAR RIFF posted:

THE DOL HAS NO SENSE OF HUMOR

The true insanity of this thread is looking for a sense of humor in a government agency.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

Wait, you pay sales tax on a private sale of a used good? I thought it'd just be a general vehicle tax.

Yeah if it's 9% then gently caress that noise.

BC does this too (and it's like 14%), it blows my loving mind.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
There's this black maserati doing first gear shock and awe thunder runs up and down market like a dragon bellowing from atop a burning castle whIle I walk back.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Keep the joke bill of sale for yourself and write out a real one jesus christ dude

I don't know which is worse, that you actually took it in or that you were upset they didn't get the joke.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I think the bigger question would be on what planet is a 27 year old Cherokee in poo poo / undriveable condition worth twenty six hundred loving dollars?

e: what in the actual gently caress :psyduck:

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 28, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The "in poo poo/undrivable condition" is not shown on a bill of sale. They assume you were a sensible normal person and were gifted a running car.

It's probably preferable to a situation where DMV "experts" inspect your free car and then come up with a bullshit valuation on the basis of a 204-point checklist.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Keep the joke bill of sale for yourself and write out a real one jesus christ dude

I don't know which is worse, that you actually took it in or that you were upset they didn't get the joke.

I had a second one on me marked gift and 0 dollars which they were going to sales tax the fair value of my gift at 2600 value

Unless I brought back a third saying iv paid him 500 for what he paid 500 for, which I just happened to catch the bus just right and meet him for a smoke breakm. The system works :ssh:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So, what are the odds this latest shitpile successfully conveys you and your flashlight collection to Nebraska?

Please express your odds in the form of a youtube of a 1980s-90s heavy metal song, with the radicalness of the song being proportional to the odds of success.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol my bad you made it sound like you walked in there with only your giant bill of sale.

I learned a long time ago to treat the DMV like the IRS, if the slightest thing is out of order they will tell you to gently caress off, and if you take liberties they WILL call you on it. I would have brought the owner with me for insurance.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
And also dropped the title walking

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

14 BAR RIFF posted:

And also dropped the title walking

un goddamn believable

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I FOUND IT A BLOCK UP THE STREET

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
I'd have a look at the timing with a strobe on that little Honda, a 2 or 3 degree cam belt stretch shouldn't stop it.

Maybe its the points?

I'm sure you checked all though. When I had my Goldwing nothing could stop it except the ballast resistor once. (checked that yet?)

Hook up the ignition to a remote supply & TRY AGAIN. I'm sure its electric.

Otherwise disregard with a gallon of gas down the carby throat as I would do.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
PACKING BEGINS :unsmigghh:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
REPENT, ALL YE SINNERS. REPENT, AL YE WICKED. REPENT, FOR THE HORN OF THE ARCHANGEL HAS SOUNDED AND THE 4.0 HORSEMEN PREPARE TO DRIVE. REPENT, FOR JUDGMENT DAVE COMES FOR US ALL.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Keep your butthole tight!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Astonishing Wang posted:

Keep your butthole tight!

gently caress you

Unless you meant as a simultaneous collective puckering starts rippling out from the brown eye of the storm

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I meant 'cuz it's going to be an awesome trip, epic maybe, but there will be dragons along the path.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
But you've got your camo :D

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did we ever get a pic of this majestic new ride?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Did we ever get a pic of this majestic new ride?

I did, months ago :tinfoil:

THE JEEP WAS INSIDE THE THREAD ALL ALONG :aaaaa:

And I quote from earlier, "my mama tol' me always be honest"

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Now, I am kind of thinking my ghost pepper sea salt I loving love so much should be located into a better road trip approved improvised moisture proof container when I lost the old ones lid before I take off.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I can't see how that would cause any trouble... Maybe dye it blue?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Who's going to post the gofundme for bail in Montana?

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Just assume the cop is going to use the "Taste it to know it's drugs" method every TV show uses. Book it once the screaming begins.

edit: Are you packing a vehicle that doesn't move, or did the Jeep get fixed offscreen? Curious what was wrong with it.

TheNothingNew fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

You seem to enjoy pain, so the renix XJ is a good fit. Bookmark http://www.cruiser54.com & http://www.lunghd.com and keep your DMM on the passenger seat.

• Locked thread