Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Forer posted:

jams two tubes together

homocide

I can't keep up with all these colloquialisms for gay sex all you youngsters are using these days. Guess I'll just take your word for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Sup osha thread http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=861_1477476034

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Not gruesome but I'm pretty sure that dude died. Goddamn.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Change every connection on every device on the planet to USB and watch the world burn.

Well, eventually. It always takes me at least 3 attempts to get those bastard things plugged in somehow.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Professor of Cats posted:

This is goddamned nightmare material. It doesn't help that I have that weird underwater+machinery phobia as well. It makes me physically ill.

This reminded me of the Underwater Horrors thread, and it's long discussions on delta P. Now that is some scary poo poo.

Basically watch this video I guess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEtbFm_CjE0

Bees on Wheat posted:

Someone made this out of parts that shouldn't connect together. By comparison, cramming two tubes together should be trivial. I mean, kids do it all the time with the plastic straws at fast food places.

I really want to know what would happen if you plugged that into something. Like, how fast would the ethernet end just melt together and start shorting?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I'm pretty sure we had a multipage derail into delta-p in this thread too. With diagrams.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Jabor posted:

The solution is to make it physically impossible to connect the wrong ones and have stuff start flowing. That's a few cents more expensive per-unit though, which is why it doesn't happen.

lol no it's not. hospitals and providers bitch and moan about anything that isn't 100% compatible with their current equipment and materials with stuff like this. there is a ton of inertia in the healthcare system, and barring a government mandate (which there absolutely should be), no one wants to pay for new equipment that doesnt work with what they have.

i know that it's not the same from country to country, though. in some places (france) doctors are especially resistant to "new" things (because they've always done things a certain way and it works fine!), even if every other country has been using them for 20 years and data shows that they're better.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Also, the necessary sizes of tubes are an issue. A ventilator circuit has to be within a certain size range to limit dead space while permitting air flow, usually the diameter of a ping-ping ball more or less. A tube feed line is smaller around than a pencil. If you wanna put a random fuckin tube in the vent circuit, there's not much to stop you.

I suspect, though, that it was a fine-tip tube feed connector of the type made to prevent accidental connection to inappropriate tubes... most likely plugged into the small, usually covered hole where aerosol breathing treatments are squirted into the system. Nobody would ever expect something to be stuck in there, but... humans.

So the biggest issue to me in hospitals is that for each critical pt there are hundreds of possible ports of access, and making mutually incompatible ports for each of them is very difficult. You aren't talking about two tanks that shouldn't be hooked up to each other, you're talking about an entire room full of poo poo that doesn't go together but could maybe be forced if you tried...

But then I've walked in and found family members trying to draw up ground and dissolved pills into a syringe through a needle, intending to inject the results into the IV line by sticking the needle directly into the tubing, because "grandma doesn't like swallowing pills"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

PittTheElder posted:

I really want to know what would happen if you plugged that into something. Like, how fast would the ethernet end just melt together and start shorting?

Didn't some goon a number of years ago do almost exactly that only with a cable line instead of ethernet because his neighbor was stealing his cable or something and he just wanted to blow up his TV?

Then the next day some random house in his neighborhood burns down and he swears it wasn't him and his device?

But yeah, it'd short everything out almost instantly. No saving the switch or router. If you left it plugged in, it might start a fire.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Didn't some goon a number of years ago do almost exactly that only with a cable line instead of ethernet because his neighbor was stealing his cable or something and he just wanted to blow up his TV?

Then the next day some random house in his neighborhood burns down and he swears it wasn't him and his device?

But yeah, it'd short everything out almost instantly. No saving the switch or router. If you left it plugged in, it might start a fire.

Son of Atari Killer or something?

[edit]
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1844470&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Oh god, that's worse than the crane seat. D:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Have a lithium battery fire
http://gizmodo.com/this-is-why-you-should-take-lithium-ion-battery-fires-v-1788281947

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That looks expensive, too.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I never really understood hyperbaric chambers - can you really make a human body just tolerate 9 atm of pressure as long as you ramp it up slowly?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sure, just as long as you dont peek early.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Metagross used Fire Blast!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

There's an appealing fellow.

Goatman Sacks posted:

I never really understood hyperbaric chambers - can you really make a human body just tolerate 9 atm of pressure as long as you ramp it up slowly?

And provided you feed the guy the right breathing mix. You're mostly fluid, and thereby mostly imcompressible. The physiological limit to how much pressure you can take is the point at which your neurons get physically squeezed so close together that they stop firing properly or you start getting bone necrosis because the tiny capillaries keeping your bone cells oxygenated start getting closed off.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 27, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Goatman Sacks posted:

Of course. SCUBA divers do it all the time.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Some dude thought he was opening the door to the can but it was actually the hyperbaric chamber I was in but I ended up okay because I just held my breath and closed my eyes

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Well here's a Pi getting 12 volts instead of 5v USB.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYf9HK-rI1s

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Phanatic posted:

And provided you feed the guy the right breathing mix. You're mostly fluid, and thereby mostly imcompressible.

Man, I don't mean to doubt your science, but I've seen a bunch of videos in this thread that suggest I'm appallingly compressible.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Slugworth posted:

Man, I don't mean to doubt your science, but I've seen a bunch of videos in this thread that suggest I'm appallingly compressible.

Only certain parts of you. The rest of you is surprisingly spreadable.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Only if the pressure surface area is limited. He means when the pressure is all around. :)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

elise the great posted:

So the biggest issue to me in hospitals is that for each critical pt there are hundreds of possible ports of access, and making mutually incompatible ports for each of them is very difficult. You aren't talking about two tanks that shouldn't be hooked up to each other, you're talking about an entire room full of poo poo that doesn't go together but could maybe be forced if you tried...

You can't really do it with connector size alone, you have to use interlocking connectors that don't allow flow unless they're correctly attached.

For example, the connector on the BP cuff can be keyed, so even if you do somehow attach the air compressor to an IV line, it doesn't do anything since the IV line isn't keyed to look like a BP cuff.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This thread is a good read.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Mithaldu posted:

Only if the pressure surface area is limited. He means when the pressure is all around. :)

When I worked in the oilfields, a safety trainer told me that pin sized ruptures in hydraulic lines could cut you open.

That was pretty low on my list of deadly threats out there so I never followed up and learned if that type of thing happens.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Ever watered a lawn with a simple hose? Put your thumb over the hole? Same effect, only with a microscopic hole and LOOOTS more pressure.

That poo poo can totally cut you up.

And even if doesn't actually slice you, when it has enough pressure to puncture your skin, it'll shred what's below that WHILE also delivering a lot of poo poo into your body that you don't wanna have there. Don't google injection injuries.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_jet_cutter

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Some industrial bakeries use water-jet cutters to cut bread, but the water moves so fast it never has a chance to make the bread soggy.

That's your Bread-Fact for the day, boys and girls.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Slugworth posted:

You are not compressible. You are extremely deformable.

Re high pressure lines, I heard a tale (not sure if true) about looking for steam system leaks in a nuclear warship. You wave a broom handle around in front of you as you walk, and when you're suddenly holding half a broom handle you've found the leak.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

You are not compressible. You are extremely deformable.

Re high pressure lines, I heard a tale (not sure if true) about looking for steam system leaks in a nuclear warship. You wave a broom handle around in front of you as you walk, and when you're suddenly holding half a broom handle you've found the leak.

I think that's an old wives tale, but at the same time it wouldn't need to be a nuclear vessel, any place with high pressure steam would have similar issues. Although I suspect that not many places run at the pressures that nuclear plants do. Even our lower pressure reactors run at 10s of atmospheres of pressure, and commercial reactors run at over 130 atmospheres in the reactor loop.

Although steam leaks in the reactor loop are pretty easily noticed, what with the loss of reactor coolant and subsequent scram of the reactor.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I need to find those documents on the USS Iwo Jima.

Basically there was a break in a 600psi 800°F steam line that flooded the engine room with superheated steam. It killed 10 sailors.

Steam scares me a lot more than high voltage electricity does.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 28, 2016

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Three-Phase posted:

Basically there was a break in a 600psi 800°F steam line that flooded the engine room with superheated steam. It killed 10 sailors.

As an undergrad chemical engineer we got periodic lectures from the guys running the Chem Ops Lab. One was on ammonia (if you can smell it it may be too late for you already) and one was steam, where they took a chicken leg and waved it in front of high pressure steam (which is invisible for those who hadn't picked up the hints) and showed you how fast it poached the surface (latent heat of condensation is a bitch, boys).

Chemistry has so many ways to kill you invisibly on an industrial scale.

Haha wow, did not know:

quote:

Potential role in the Falklands War[edit]
In the July 2012 newsletter of the United States Naval Institute, which was reprinted online at the Institute's web site, it was revealed that the Reagan Administration actively offered the use of the Iwo Jima as a replacement in case either of the two British carriers, the Hermes and Invincible, had been damaged or destroyed during the 1982 Falklands War. This top-secret contingency plan was revealed to the staff of the Naval Institute by John Lehman, the U.S. Secretary of the Navy at the time of the Falklands War, from a speech provided to the Naval Institute that Lehman made in Portsmouth, U.K., on 26 June 2012. Lehman stated that the loan of the Iwo Jima was made in response to a request from the Royal Navy, and it had the endorsement of U.S. President Ronald Reagan and U.S. Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger. The actual planning for the Iwo Jima loan-out was done by the staff of the U.S. Second Fleet under the direction of Vice Admiral James Lyons, who confirmed Lehman's revelations with the Naval Institute staff. Contingency planning envisioned American military contractors, likely retired sailors with knowledge of the Iwo Jima's systems, assisting the British in manning the U.S. helicopter carrier during the loan-out. Naval analyst Eric Wertheim compared this arrangement to the Flying Tigers. Significantly, except for U.S. Secretary of State Alexander Haig, the U.S. Department of State was not included in the loan-out negotiations.[7] This revelation made headlines in the United Kingdom, but except for the U.S. Naval Institute, not in the United States.[8][9]

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Three-Phase posted:

Steam scares me a lot more than high voltage electricity does.

and then strangely enough the next ship in the class went with a hybrid gas turbine/electric drive

edit: wrong uss iwo jima

VectorSigma fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 28, 2016

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

Chemistry has so many ways to kill you invisibly on an industrial scale.

20th century.txt

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

moist turtleneck posted:

Some dude thought he was opening the door to the can but it was actually the hyperbaric chamber I was in but I ended up okay because I just held my breath and closed my eyes

Trying to hold your breath during sudden decompression would kill you by exploding your lungs.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Rust Martialis posted:

As an undergrad chemical engineer we got periodic lectures from the guys running the Chem Ops Lab. One was on ammonia (if you can smell it it may be too late for you already) and one was steam, where they took a chicken leg and waved it in front of high pressure steam (which is invisible for those who hadn't picked up the hints) and showed you how fast it poached the surface (latent heat of condensation is a bitch, boys).

But does it at least make some noise?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

But does it at least make some noise?

Probably. Can you hear it over all the other noises made in a place that has high pressure steam in it? Any place with steam lines like that will probably have huge turbines and other things that make ungodly amounts of noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The broomstick method’s job is to effectively communicate the concept that high‐pressure fluids can gently caress you up, and it does that admirably.