Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Why would Sonny want to go to a worse conference where he's likely not going to make any more money than he is at Cal?

E: and especially to a program that's clearly going to be under fire for a while?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DJExile posted:

Why would Sonny want to go to a worse conference where he's likely not going to make any more money than he is at Cal?

E: and especially to a program that's clearly going to be under fire for a while?

I don't know, but they hired an AD away from Missouri under the same circumstances. Also he's making $2.75 million at Cal. Hell, Baylor pays their women's basketball coach $2.1 million, they've got money. Seems like a good fit culturally (no offense to Sonny); I think he'd play better to Texas recruits than California recruits. But maybe he's happy now, I dunno.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

General Dog posted:

Seems like a good fit culturally (no offense to Sonny)

Does sonny have a habit of telling rape victims to go gently caress themselves or something

maybe I missed it

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Sonny has been openly grumbling about Cal and flirting with other jobs from like the moment he got there and makes way more sense at Baylor on pretty much every level from a football perspective. I also don't really see why Cal would work super hard to keep a dude who is a pain in the rear end and whose ceiling like is 6-7 wins. I think that's the most likely hire for Baylor by far.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Sonny has been openly grumbling about Cal and flirting with other jobs from like the moment he got there a

Ah, didn't know that.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
What's the deal with Kendal Briles? Any talk of him taking the HC job at Baylor at some point? If not, an HC job elsewhere?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Ah, didn't know that.

Last year he definitely interviewed at Mizzou and I think maybe UVA. He also reportedly tried to get in the running at South Carolina.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

Last year he definitely interviewed at Mizzou and I think maybe UVA. He also reportedly tried to get in the running at South Carolina.

Last year things were pretty bad and he was looking to make a move. But I had heard in the offseason that the two sides had gotten their poo poo together and were much happier this year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

dphi posted:

What's the deal with Kendal Briles? Any talk of him taking the HC job at Baylor at some point? If not, an HC job elsewhere?

I think regardless of your feelings about the guy, having him as HC at Baylor (at least right now) would be pretty weird for all involved parties. Plus, this is only his second year as OC, I think he's going to need to prove himself as OC somewhere away from dad before he gets any talk for an HC position.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

dphi posted:

I feel like there was some grumbling that Gus was at least speaking to him, so there were rumors for a hot minute that he would go there as an OC.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

KKKLIP ART posted:

I feel like there was some grumbling that Gus was at least speaking to him, so there were rumors for a hot minute that he would go there as an OC.

If Auburn's season continues to go well I think they will be looking for an OC at the end of the season. Lashlee has been looking for an opportunity as a head coach, but his one big liability was never being a play caller. He's been showing he can get it done these last few games, and I think he will get a chance at a smaller school.

I really don't want to see any Briles get brought to Auburn, and would probably try to organize campus groups against it if it was being discussed (not that it would do anything).

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

C. Everett Koop posted:

Sometimes a guy is just a round peg in a square hole. Charlie Strong failing at Texas doesn't mean he's a failure of a coach and a person and we should shame him forever, it means he needs to go somewhere else to succeed. As much as I don't want to punish the man even more, maybe a place like Purdue or BC would give him the chance to build outside of the spotlight, and then he can take another run at a major program.

Charlie Strong would be wasted at Purdue, and should not go there. Please keep good coaches out of the Big Ten.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Thermos H Christ posted:

First tier of realistic hires includes Justin Fuente, Tom Herman, Larry Fedora, and Chris Petersen if we could get him. Second tier of realistic choices looks something like Gary Patterson, Bryan Harsin, Dino Babers, maybe even Chad Morris.

Harsin over Herman. Longer track record as a head coach (28-6 since 2014, has victories in the Fiesta and Poinsettia Bowls) and know his way around Austin. Herman is an unproven flavor of the month candidate.

That being said, for what Chuck is pulling down and what his replacement will make UT should not have to consider unproven reach candidates like Herman, Morris, or Fuente.

Offer the Gruden and/or the older saner Harbaugh $9m/year and see what happens. Petersen was my first choice last time around and I would still like to see him in Belmont. Texas certainly has a fair crack at him with the kind of dough Michigan is paying Jim Harbaugh.

I know you've got battered fan syndrome after the Steve Patterson era and the hiring of Charlie Strong etc. etc., we all do. But this is still Texas and if there is one thing the program has it's money. We can afford a proven 1st tier coach.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The desire to hire Gruden as a college coach is the most insane loving thing

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

John Gruden doesn't want to coach your stupid lovely football team and John Harbaugh isn't leaving the NFL team he won a Super Bowl with to coach your garbage fire program, you aren't hiring a proven first tier coach because those guys are already at top programs getting paid a lot of money and they aren't going to leave just because Texas came calling.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
So I'm just gonna throw this out there

Given their success this season to date, if it's sustained, would Baylor consider retaining Jim Grobe, who is squeaky clean?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

So I'm just gonna throw this out there

Given their success this season to date, if it's sustained, would Baylor consider retaining Jim Grobe, who is squeaky clean?

I'm sure they're at least considering it but the plan from the start was basically to have him just be an interim until everything blew over.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

big money big clit posted:

John Gruden doesn't want to coach your stupid lovely football team and John Harbaugh isn't leaving the NFL team he won a Super Bowl with to coach your garbage fire program,

Right, understood. But if you're going to have a "pipe dream" candidate at least make it something worth dreaming about and not Miles or Saban:

Thermos H Christ posted:

Outside of total pipe dreams (Urban, Saban), I've basically got three groups going.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
wait is texas also too good for nick saban now

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Texas is barely good enough for unproven flavor of the month Tom Herman and still we'll see

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/look-houston-taped-smu-jerseys-to-the-floor-for-players-to-walk-on/

Think Herman stays where he is for a bit

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Herman also dropped this back in May -

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/730839682892763136

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/730839864044740608

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/730840667266547713

Meanwhile Houston will be very lucky to go 7-5. Mister Herman, you're gonna need to improve on the poo poo talk at your next stop.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

ChinaBob posted:

Right, understood. But if you're going to have a "pipe dream" candidate at least make it something worth dreaming about and not Miles or Saban:

There is literally no reason to think Gruden would do well in CFB. The dude's offense is nearly Al Saunders complicated, and he's never shown himself to be a recruiter.

He would be a loving disaster in college.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

and he's never shown himself to be a recruiter.

Gruden would almost surely be a great recruiter if he wanted to put the work in. But all he cares about is sitting around and watching tape for 8 hours a day so...yeah he probably wouldn't do that. And yeah, his offense is not something that seems like it would work well in college.

Not that it matters because he's making so much money now to work one game a week and get to do stuff he really seems to enjoy, he's not leaving that job even if someone does want to try to outbid ESPN.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I can't believe people are still pining for Jon loving Gruden in 2016

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Hiring an NFL coach to coach at Texas is pretty much a bad idea. And then the John Gruden thing, holy poo poo. I would take Chad Morris over Gruden without a moment's hesitation. Anyway, I don't think hiring away proven coaches who are succeeding at the top level is really a thing, so yeah, I'm fine with hiring a guy on the rise at a lesser place and hoping for the best. I mean sure ask Meyer and Saban if they want Harbaugh money I guess, but after them there's not really a guy I think is right for the gig.

One name that I haven't heard once in all this coaching search talk is Sumlin, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about him, but he can obviously recruit, his whole flashy persona kind of seems like a better cultural fit at Texas than at A&M, and I think someone with his background could be a natural fit in the B12. Plus the tears from next door would be pretty epic, assuming this is the year he doesn't collapse down the stretch. I dunno.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Grittybeard posted:

Gruden would almost surely be a great recruiter if he wanted to put the work in. But all he cares about is sitting around and watching tape for 8 hours a day so...yeah he probably wouldn't do that. And yeah, his offense is not something that seems like it would work well in college.

Not that it matters because he's making so much money now to work one game a week and get to do stuff he really seems to enjoy, he's not leaving that job even if someone does want to try to outbid ESPN.

Yeah thats what I mean though. The guy is an X-and-O junky and is dyed-in-the-wool NFL. He has no college experience since 1990 and was a GA and a passing game coordinator.

I'm not sure why everyone is so sure he would be a phenomenal recruiter besides being telegenic and being young (which isn't as true anymore).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

I'm not sure why everyone is so sure he would be a phenomenal recruiter besides being telegenic and being young (which isn't as true anymore).

He's excitable and bubbly and as you know if you watch MNF can find something complimentary to say about even the most trash players, his personality seems like it'd be a good fit. But I just can't imagine he'd be willing to put up with constant road trips and checking in on people instead of doing what he actually loves doing.

On the bright side this might be one of the last times we talk about him, Cowher's name finally stopped coming up for every job under the sun, it's got to happen with Gruden eventually.

On the subject of ex-NFL coach pipe dreams, I still want Herm Edwards to take the SDSU job or a program along those lines.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Gruden would probably be fine as a recruiter. He's a super famous charismatic dude who could flash a super bowl ring and he seems to connect well with players during the draft stuff. He would be a goddamn disaster on the field. His over complicated bullshit offense with the 5 million play playbook is the exact opposite of where college football is going and of what everyone does at the high school level in Texas.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
The 49ers are 1-6, and Chip Kelly is getting $6,000,000/year to be there. As we learned this week, he could get more money (potentially) in Austin. I know a lot of these guys have an ego that makes them want to prove themselves in the NFL, but if Harbaugh left then anyone can leave. Surely Kelly gets an offer from Texas.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Thermos H Christ posted:

One name that I haven't heard once in all this coaching search talk is Sumlin, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about him, but he can obviously recruit, his whole flashy persona kind of seems like a better cultural fit at Texas than at A&M, and I think someone with his background could be a natural fit in the B12. Plus the tears from next door would be pretty epic, assuming this is the year he doesn't collapse down the stretch. I dunno.

Look, i agree with you that he would be a better cultural fit for Texas. But It seems highly, highly unlikely that Texas would be able to pay him enough to get him to come and deal with an athletic department/booster situation which is way more toxic than anything he has had to deal with in College Station. Also, expectations would be waaaay higher than they are at A&M.

I get it that your program has a lot of money to throw around, but to expect to be able to hire him away from your rival school after a successful season (if the rest of the season pans out ok) is sheer hubris. Almost to the level of "let's hire Saban" hubris.

I also understand that you're just spitballing here, but the last page or so of this thread have confirmed that Texas views the rest of the football world as its oyster - HS, college, even pro (hiring Gruden, for example).

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Cnidario posted:

I also understand that you're just spitballing here, but the last page or so of this thread have confirmed that Texas views the rest of the football world as its oyster - HS, college, even pro (hiring Gruden, for example).

I'm not a Texas schill. The way I see it, it's the premier program in Texas, with a huge fanbase, its own terrible TV network, and deep pockets. Recruiting is great, arguably second to none. It has everything to attract the top names. :lol: at the Gruden stuff, though.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

LLCoolJD posted:

:lol: at the Gruden stuff, though.

Everyone knows Texas is going to hire Belicheck but only if he really nails the interview.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

Haha go for it man. I like Sumlin, but if you want to drop 8 million a year on him I'm sure his buyout can get us somebody pretty good.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Hey man I didn't say it was gonna happen, or that Texas fans think it will. I said it's a name I haven't heard once, from anyone. I mostly just thought it was odd that there's a slick flashy CEO coach down the road and it seemingly hasn't crossed anyone's mind that Texas might want to talk to him.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

MourningView posted:

Gruden would probably be fine as a recruiter. He's a super famous charismatic dude who could flash a super bowl ring and he seems to connect well with players during the draft stuff. He would be a goddamn disaster on the field. His over complicated bullshit offense with the 5 million play playbook is the exact opposite of where college football is going and of what everyone does at the high school level in Texas.

I dream of a world where Jon Gruden shows up at EMCC and has this pitch.

"*Insert QB Name here*, I was a respected NFL coach, and I'll prepare you very well. For example, look at how I"ll coach you to run Spider Y Banana"

*45 minute digression on intricacies of play*

"Coach I really like how you're taking a simple play and coaching it well, like what Oregon told us they do."

"Good, *Drops playbook on desk showing play is one of 100s* I haven't even covered the gameplan for the spring game yet. Go brew some coffee."

His last playbook was literally like 900 pages. I want you to imagine a world where, say, Chad Kelly gets handed that playbook and told to start reading.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

Hey man I didn't say it was gonna happen, or that Texas fans think it will. I said it's a name I haven't heard once, from anyone. I mostly just thought it was odd that there's a slick flashy CEO coach down the road and it seemingly hasn't crossed anyone's mind that Texas might want to talk to him.

It's because he's an Aggie

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

Cnidario posted:

...come and deal with an athletic department/booster situation which is way more toxic than anything he has had to deal with in College Station. Also, expectations would be waaaay higher than they are at A&M.

Are you an Aggie or have you just never met any?

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

Thermos H Christ posted:

Hiring an NFL coach to coach at Texas is pretty much a bad idea.

Yet your "pipe dream" is Ole' Saint Nick. Interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ChinaBob posted:

Yet your "pipe dream" is Ole' Saint Nick. Interesting.

You're being honest about this huh? 5 national championships, yearly expectations (and reality) of being in play to win another one, not good enough for a Texas pipe dream. Better go after John Gruden.

• Locked thread