Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

2016 and our new post fact world. What in the actual gently caress is happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Username
Oct 22, 2004
Haha! I have the upper hand now!

Kazak_Hstan posted:

well my toilets stopped up, i could fix it, or I could go dig a hole in those jurors yards with a stolen tractor and poo poo in it, since that's apparently not a crime

pick one of the rooms in their house at random and use it as a toilet for a month with 30 of my closest buddies

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Telsa Cola posted:

Im wondering too, I know the whole "trial by jury of your peers" and not being charged twice thing but what happens if the jury goes "eh gently caress it not guility" Like could I straight up murder a dude infront of a security camera in good light and state my name and everything and still get a not guilty charge if the jury was stupid af?

what do you think they used to do when a white guy murdered a black person?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Quorum posted:

:wtf:

What does the government even do from here, the whole idea was to let them let out enough rope to hang themselves with, only it turns out even a slam dunk case can't get past a jury. Appeal only works on points of law, not the facts, and the jury just told the government you can take your liberal elitist "facts" right back to Jew York City where you came from.

Where is this city?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Welp, time for me to find a park east of the Mississippi to work in, gently caress this poo poo.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
They should have killed all three hundred of those fucks in bunkerville the first time around and this never would have happened

congratulations, FBI, your desire to let white people off the hook is all the proof that the sovereign citizens need that their bullshit magic words actually work

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Condiv posted:

what do you think they used to do when a white guy murdered a black person?

Promote them to lieutenant instead of giving them a desk job.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

WrenP-Complete posted:

Is there a way we could know if it's jury nullification?

No. that's why you can't stop it. Unless the jury literally comes forward and says "we the jury think he's guilty but gently caress it" there is nothing the prosecution can do. This is by design. The best defense against it is not ever mentioning it, even to say "don't do it."

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Are you loving kidding me?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i'll be honest, i didn't think the fbi was even gonna bring charges. but i was right that these guys were gonna get away with it so hooray? :smith:

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Evil Fluffy posted:

So the prosecutors are going to appeal because this is completely loving insane, right?

the government can't appeal a not guilty verdict

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Evil Fluffy posted:

So the prosecutors are going to appeal because this is completely loving insane, right?

Jurors should be required by law to explain their verdict and if they use the words "jury nullification" the judge should be allowed to shoot them on the spot.

e:

If it means firebombing the militia I think I'd be ok with it at this point.

You don't get to appeal an NG.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Telsa Cola posted:

Im wondering too, I know the whole "trial by jury of your peers" and not being charged twice thing but what happens if the jury goes "eh gently caress it not guility" Like could I straight up murder a dude infront of a security camera in good light and state my name and everything and still get a not guilty charge if the jury was stupid af?

Pretty much yeah.

This is not a hypothetical. That actually happened with white mobs lynching blacks. Before CCTV, granted.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My faith in the American justice system has been restored. It was about time Whitey got a leg up in this crooked world.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
So there was some talk about how the participation in this militia bullshit had been dropping once the Bundy Buddies got rounded up and stuffed in jail, but now that apparently they've proven you can pull this kind of poo poo and get a not-guilty verdict, are we going to see them skyrocket?

I mean, jesus gently caress, what were these idiot jurors thinking

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
A Tim Buckley level miscarriage of justice.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Does this mean that the juror that got expelled was the one guy refusing to vote not guilty?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Lessor charges.

We are crashing sound cloud or what ever poo poo SA is hosted on too

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
the fbi are going to have to give all of them back their guns

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ponzicar posted:

Does this mean that the juror that got expelled was the one guy refusing to vote not guilty?

yup.

I also wonder what mumford did to get arrested.

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Can't they say that the gold fringe wasn't long enough and the verdict doesn't count?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

ponzicar posted:

Yes.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

ponzicar posted:

Probably

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

ponzicar posted:

Maybe! We'll probably never know.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

ponzicar posted:

yeah but he worked for BLM so he was biased

once he was gone, the juror deliberations consisted of fourteen words and a bunch of not guilty checking

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Mr. Nice! posted:

yup.

He told AB he's free to go, which the authorities didn't agree with.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

all the attorneys look around the room, cconfused as heck. Defense attorney: "excuse me, your honor, uhhhhh whatt????"

prosecutors purse lips, cock heads to side, shrug reflexively

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Zamujasa posted:

So there was some talk about how the participation in this militia bullshit had been dropping once the Bundy Buddies got rounded up and stuffed in jail, but now that apparently they've proven you can pull this kind of poo poo and get a not-guilty verdict, are we going to see them skyrocket?

I mean, jesus gently caress, what were these idiot jurors thinking

that is exactly what they wanted. i bet they are sov cits too

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

nm posted:

You don't get to appeal an NG.

See also the Constitutional provision against double jeopardy.

Holy poo poo what a bad beat. This is going to lead to so many new sovcits in court.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Teddybear posted:

They called him biased and told on him. So yeah he disagreed with the group.

gently caress Oregon.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

nm posted:

Yes. So many charges and so many defendants.
If it comes back today, the jury ignored the facts and will almost certainly come back not guilty. The only way the come back ina few hours is if they all sat down said "gently caress the government" and agreed to aquit everyone. You can't have a vote and dicussion on each charge in the time. If they do come back guilty in less than 2 days, it means the jury didn't do their job.*
I'd say under 24-48 hours is the NG zone, 48hrs to 1 week is the guilty zone, and more than 1 week is the hang zone.

As this was a new jury, just sayin'

In fairness, I also said this:

nm posted:

If Bundy walks they got the goofiest jury ever.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

TotalLossBrain posted:

He told AB he's free to go, which the authorities didn't agree with.
Ammon still faces charges in Nevada.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Teddybear posted:

Can't the juror that got dismissed talk about it now?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The bundys proper still have another trial in Nevada tho right

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Mr. Nice! posted:

yup.

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/791781891363917824

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Look forward to the sov cit celebration live stream. Please post.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
This is not necessarily over. Remember this was a conspiracy charge. It was a conspiracy charge because it was proprietary jurisdiction, meaning federal charges requiring special maritime or territorial jurisdiction were not available (the basic substantive criminal statutes), same with the Assimilative Crime Act. The full weight of Oregon criminal statutes can still be applied here. That is not a double jeopardy issue. That is, if the state of Oregon wants to deal with this.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Mirthless posted:

They should have killed all three hundred of those fucks in bunkerville the first time around and this never would have happened

congratulations, FBI, your desire to let white people off the hook is all the proof that the sovereign citizens need that their bullshit magic words actually work

This is the absolute worst possible outcome. Now the wingnuts around the country have seen that they can do whatever they want and face no consequences if white enough. With Trump riling them up more and more, we will see much more terrorism this November. We know that jurors will gladly let them all walk even with mountains of evidence because they can't being themselves to make white right wingers face any kind of responsibility.

I want each of those jurors to personally watch what their idiocy has allowed.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BTW, I have 20bux saying juror 11 speaks within the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Tayter Swift posted:

The bundys proper still have another trial in Nevada tho right

Ammon does, not sure about the others.