Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sinteres posted:

Federal court.

I meant "The State" as in, the federal government.

Also

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/791781891363917824

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

highme posted:

Jesus gently caress, how badly did the state handle that case?

They seemed to be pretty competent through the trial. This morning they really blew it though when they let the rest of the jury get one of the jurors dismissed for alleged bias. Probably should have fought for a mistrial instead of outright replacement.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Wait I've seen this on Law and Order a bunch of times. Surely this is all a deceptive aquitall so that the guilty defendents have just enough time to feel good and show a smug look on their face before Detective Stabler appears out of the crowd and arrests them on even more serious charges.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

highme posted:

I meant "The State" as in, the federal government.

Also

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/791781891363917824

....the Mumford and Sons guy?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

cant cook creole bream posted:

What in the holy hell? How many cops does a white man need to kill before he goes to prison?
They were in a standoff. Officers where in legitimste danger from this bullshit!

At this point I hope President Clinton just goes zero tolerance and orders that militia groups be handled with lethal force.

If it comes out that the jury actually went with Jury Nullification stuff I hope every last juror's life is completely and totally destroyed in response.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

It wasn't the state, it was the Feds and they did a fine job. This is the jury's fault and the inability of our society to punish right wing radicals for any misbehavior, however large.

I mean for gently caress's sake this should have been a mistrial at least but nah let's throw out the only juror who isn't sympathetic to domestic terrorism and replace them with an alternate at the last second instead of redoing it with a new jury

would these fucks have acquitted timothy mcveigh? probably

jfc

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 28, 2016

highme
May 25, 2001

xrunner posted:

They seemed to be pretty competent through the trial. This morning they really blew it though when they let the rest of the jury get one of the jurors dismissed for alleged bias. Probably should have fought for a mistrial instead of outright replacement.

Not sure how that guy slipped through voir dire in the first place.

Goatman Sacks posted:

We could only hope.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Necc0 posted:

how the gently caress :psyduck:

They're white.

highme
May 25, 2001

Well, we still have the Nevada trial :effort:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

oh boy I can't wait for the copycat occupations post-election

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

They still have Bunkerville charges (Ranch Standoff)

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
If you think about it desecrating native land while white is the most American thing to do.

gently caress them I almost hope they try something else and get droned.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

highme posted:

Well, we still have the Nevada trial :effort:

Oh yah, because that's sure to go well. Look, we might as well face the fact that unless you murder them yourself, white people can be terrorists as much as they want.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

iospace posted:

They still have Bunkerville charges (Ranch Standoff)

Including concrete-barrier-sniper rear end in a top hat?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

U-DO Burger posted:

Yeah, just in time for idiots to be inspired by Trump's claim that the election is rigged when he loses. It's the perfect storm.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

U-DO Burger posted:

Yeah there's no way this doesn't spread after the election. ffs

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Goatman Sacks posted:

It's his lawyer. They tased him too. They aren't letting Amon Bundy go because of the other charges he hasn't been tried for.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Here's something to distract from engaging the troll:

Epic Rap Battles of History finally did Hillary vs Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbryz0mxuMY

Holy poo poo, they rip Trump apart! :popeye:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

If they had been Muslim the crater where the refuge had been would still be smoking.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
At least the optics of this will help drive up outrage among liberals, especially anyone remotely involved with BLM.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

On the bright side, this may end in people trying to occupy the capitol or whute house or something to try to take are country back, and I'm sure that will go swimmingly for them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, two things here:

1. We have, as I mentioned, charges related to the standoff in Nevada. The Bundys are not free to go.
2. The state of Oregon can still file charges.

Is it over? No. Are we going to see copy cats?

You bet your rear end :smith:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Drunk Theory posted:

Oh yah, because that's sure to go well. Look, we might as well face the fact that unless you murder them yourself, white people can be terrorists as much as they want.

Yup. This is a disgustingly obvious example of a jury ignoring evidence and any law just to suit their own biases. A black child getting executed for standing around is fully justified because he was no angel, but white terrorists taking over a town are just angry good old boys.

It seems Tarp-man is the only one facing consequences for his actions.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

chumbler posted:

On the bright side, this may end in people trying to occupy the capitol or whute house or something to try to take are country back, and I'm sure that will go swimmingly for them.

" the white house is really for the people so not guilty on all charges"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

" the white house is really for the people so not guilty on all charges"
the white house is for white people so they get made presidents

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I had my first trump supporter encounter today during a work function. After a couple margaritas a coworker decided to let his freak flag fly.

(Regarding the woman blocked from performing in Philly for wearing a "we matter" shirt) "Bravo Philidelphia, about time someone stood up." He actually stood up and clapped.

"People don't respect them because they hear that gangster thug rap"

"Some things are just facts. Check the [crime] statistics."

I read this poo poo all day online and laugh along but having it happen in real life, especially at a work event where I was obligated to be deferential and non-adversarial, was extremely jarring. I literally had a fight or flight response.

I'm sure this isn't unique or interesting but I've been feeling very anxious since then and wanted to write something down.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
This is going to make racist militants feel empowered to do some incredibly violent poo poo after Trump loses :(

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

At least the optics of this will help drive up outrage among liberals, especially anyone remotely involved with BLM.

What good is outrage if they don't face consequences? Our outrage was channeled into the expectation that they would face consequences. They haven't. We said "look at them acting like they're above the law" and they replied "it's because we're above the law." We decided to show them they weren't. They won anyway.

Ranchers and cowboys win. I'm not expecting much out of the Bunkerville trial either. I mean, we'll see...

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

I'm not fully informed on the American court system, is there any way for the prosecution to appeal?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

iospace posted:

Ok, two things here:

1. We have, as I mentioned, charges related to the standoff in Nevada. The Bundys are not free to go.
2. The state of Oregon can still file charges.

Is it over? No. Are we going to see copy cats?

You bet your rear end :smith:

This came at the worst possbile time. With Trump riling these groups up for violent revolution when he fails and this emboldening them, we will see a wave of white right wing terrorists very soon and we have proven incapable of bringing ourselves properly dealing with them because white people aren't ready to apply their favorite word to each other.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I can't believe this poo poo. These people are already at a fever pitch from Trump. I can't imagine what some of them are going to pull once Hillary is in office.

EDIT: Even before that on election night when Trump doesn't concede.:(

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SoggyBobcat posted:

I'm not fully informed on the American court system, is there any way for the prosecution to appeal?

No. Jury verdicts are absolute.

Edit: That is, acquittals are. Convictions can be appealed.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Bah, well, if nothing else this convinced me I need to buy a gun. This just ruined my day.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Endorph posted:

the white house is for white people men so they get made presidents

FTFY in light of the upcoming election.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

How did this jury ever get past any kind of review? Who could possibly have failed to see that they were so biased that they were able to ignore mountains of evidence to let these miserable bastards go free after their stunts?

There has to be some way to see where it all went wrong.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Geostomp posted:

How did this jury ever get past any kind of review? Who could possibly have failed to see that they were so biased that they were able to ignore mountains of evidence to let these miserable bastards go free after their stunts?

My money is on they lied their asses off about any biases they may have and went in with a not guilty verdict already set.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Juries are usually morons because smarter peopl get out of doing it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Tarp ghost be doin' tarp cartwheels in heaven right now.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Geostomp posted:

IANAL, I haven't even really followed the trial, but it sounds like they managed to miss one of the jurors having been a former BLM employee until earlier this week, so who the hell knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

"Jurors were unable to reach a verdict on Ryan Bundy's theft of government property charge."

Butt Head:Jury nullification rules.

Beavis: Acquit! Acquit!

• Locked thread