Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Ok, thanks for saving the money then at least. My PS4 is too far away from the one active fiber outlet to actually plug it into the modem is the thing, I do feel like it does better on the powerline than it used to do with the wireless from all the way across the house and through the floor.

I actually turned the geographic matchmaking off because my thought was suppose it's only limiting me to people on the east coast but because of the fewer choices it's settling for people on worse connections instead of connecting to, say, someone in california who has a good connection but has 100 ping because they are all the way across the country. FIFA doesn't have any way to measure ping on PS4 but the connections I'm getting feel like 200-300 ping which would be way more than would be explained by just being across the country I think.

Anyway, it sounds like there isn't a ton I can do about it. Supposing I were able to figure out a way to test the PS4 connected directly to the modem, if it ended up being fine, what would be some things you would say to try to change about the router to make a difference?

I have QOS off entirely, my reasoning being that we were never gonna cap out the 1 Gb line and that it could only really slow things down while it tries to sort the traffic. Is that logic ok or should I usually have it turned on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I'd still leave QoS on, just for the fact that the router should detect two sources and split your connection in half for both devices.

Is it possible that the router without QoS on is just making GBS threads itself switching from like full-speed across both devices and thus causing lag as it rapidly trying to distribute bandwidth?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
That's now how QoS works. The point of QoS is that it divides the network throughput up by user, rather than allowing one user to hog the entire network. This matters if you're sharing a slow connection, not if you have a fast connection.

To expand a bit, the main problem QoS fixed was when one user uploading data would choke the entire network in both directions, because acknowledgment packets would get crowded out and downloads would stall. By prioritizing acknowledgments above data, downloads run smoothly even when uploads are happening. More generally, without QoS each connection (on a network level) gets its own share of the bandwidth, so opening 10 windows at once would let you crowd out other users. A router with QoS is smart enough to prevent that, and make each individual stream slower for that user. None of this comes into play if you have more bandwidth available than is required.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 24, 2016

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I wouldn't say "user" because it's really "host" (since the technology uses IP addresses to apply the QoS fairness) but otherwise it's a good explanation. There are also ways to grant more or less priority to specific hosts or streams, and some device will have QoS kick-in only when needed (ie: available bandwidth reaches its limits).

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Hey guys, quick question - I'm doing a science project, monitoring some mice for a few weeks in a cage in the dark (using infrared lights). The mice are microchipped and we have some RFID readers scanning them occasionally and were monitoring some other things that are being fed to a computer. I need a camera to monitor activity, I'm doing a tracking algorithm to track motion. I've tried it once using a Swannlink DVR/ security camera setup however I had some problems including: the DVR/camera going out of sync with the RFID computer recording over time, Swannlink firmware/software being poo poo, with unreliable and weird glitchly behaviour. I'm thinking of doing the video recording and the RFID recording direct to the same computer, however I'm not sure of the best way to set it up.

My requirements:
Recordings should be at 20-30 hertz.
Recordings must be cut up into 1 hour segments, and run for 24 hours a day, for 2-3 weeks.
Recordings must capture, down to millisecond prescision, the timestamp of the frame, and display it on the recording.
The camera must be able to do monochromatic night time recording.
The less fisheye the better.

Would anyone recommend a reasonably priced program / camera / hardware setup that would ideally capture this? I'm pretty good with the rest of it, I just have no clue about camera setups. I'm thinking a good webcam might be able to do it, coupled with maybe an opensource video capture program, but I don't know really where to start.

Goffer fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 25, 2016

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Alereon posted:

That's now how QoS works. The point of QoS is that it divides the network throughput up by user, rather than allowing one user to hog the entire network. This matters if you're sharing a slow connection, not if you have a fast connection.

To expand a bit, the main problem QoS fixed was when one user uploading data would choke the entire network in both directions, because acknowledgment packets would get crowded out and downloads would stall. By prioritizing acknowledgments above data, downloads run smoothly even when uploads are happening. More generally, without QoS each connection (on a network level) gets its own share of the bandwidth, so opening 10 windows at once would let you crowd out other users. A router with QoS is smart enough to prevent that, and make each individual stream slower for that user. None of this comes into play if you have more bandwidth available than is required.

Granted I've never really read up on QoS, was just a scenario that I thought could possibly happen.

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

If the plastic part of a PCI Express comes off the motherboard, is it possible to clip it back on? It looks like it just clips into the motherboard in 2 spots but getting all the little wires into the holes looks like it could be tedious. Only a few are a little bent and the rest are in good shape. Just wondering if it's possible to fix.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Tugboat Willy posted:

If the plastic part of a PCI Express comes off the motherboard, is it possible to clip it back on? It looks like it just clips into the motherboard in 2 spots but getting all the little wires into the holes looks like it could be tedious. Only a few are a little bent and the rest are in good shape. Just wondering if it's possible to fix.

It should be possible if none of the clips snapped off. Good luck!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Alereon posted:

So to confirm, if I have 1 Gb up/down, shouldn't matter if I have QOS on or not?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stefan Prodan posted:

So to confirm, if I have 1 Gb up/down, shouldn't matter if I have QOS on or not?

Generally you shouldn't turn it off, because things can still get congested within your network. Especially if you use the WiFi at all.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Stefan Prodan posted:

I'm skeptical if consumer routers can even keep up with 1Gbps of traffic if QoS is enabled, but no I would not turn it on unless you actually expect users to be fighting over bandwidth.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
I built some computers for the office. After a power outage, I came in to find one of them wouldn't turn out.

The only light that comes on is the LAN connection light. Nothing else.

I swapped in a spare PSU (brand new), with no results. I "hot wired" the second PSU to make sure it was working (wire between the green and black on the main power connector got the PSU fan spinning). I also tried jumping the power switch pins on the mobo with no luck (in case it was the case switch).
Is there anything else I might be overlooking before assuming it's a motherboard issue?

Assuming I swap the motherboard, will that require a fresh format if it's the exact same brand/model? If not, how particular does it have to be. Original mobo was a Asus H110M-A. Will there be issues if I get a similar variation (for instance, Asus H110M-A/M.2, Assus H110M-E or Asus H110M-K)*NVM, these don't have HDMI which is needed. I am trying to find one in stock today.

Finally, prior to the breakdown, the computer in question was having HD issues. Sometimes the computer would freeze coming out of sleep, and had to be re-started. Once or twice, the boot would stall at BIOS as it wasn't recognizing a HD, but another re-start would solve the issue. I was chalking it up to a lovely or faulty SSD drive (PNY CS1311, but the same model as the other four computers I built). I had meant to try different SATA ports and cables, but never got around to it before the power issue cropped up.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Reggie Died posted:

I built some computers for the office. After a power outage, I came in to find one of them wouldn't turn out.

The only light that comes on is the LAN connection light. Nothing else.

I swapped in a spare PSU (brand new), with no results. I "hot wired" the second PSU to make sure it was working (wire between the green and black on the main power connector got the PSU fan spinning). I also tried jumping the power switch pins on the mobo with no luck (in case it was the case switch).
Is there anything else I might be overlooking before assuming it's a motherboard issue?

Finally, prior to the breakdown, the computer in question was having HD issues. Sometimes the computer would freeze coming out of sleep, and had to be re-started. Once or twice, the boot would stall at BIOS as it wasn't recognizing a HD, but another re-start would solve the issue. I was chalking it up to a lovely or faulty SSD drive (PNY CS1311, but the same model as the other four computers I built). I had meant to try different SATA ports and cables, but never got around to it before the power issue cropped up.

Try booting from a different known working SSD/HDD. Alternatively try the broken computer's SSD on a set of known working hardware.

Is the MOBO giving a beep code? Some MOBOs don't have the beep speaker built in and require you to plug one into the corresponding pins.

Reggie Died posted:

Assuming I swap the motherboard, will that require a fresh format if it's the exact same brand/model? If not, how particular does it have to be. Original mobo was a Asus H110M-A. Will there be issues if I get a similar variation (for instance, Asus H110M-A/M.2, Assus H110M-E or Asus H110M-K)*NVM, these don't have HDMI which is needed. I am trying to find one in stock today.
If you're installing a mainstream OS you should be fine. Generally only If it's some weird rear end niche OS like Blue Hat Temple OS will you than need to be concerned about supported MOBOs.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Computer Serf posted:

Try booting from a different known working SSD/HDD. Alternatively try the broken computer's SSD on a set of known working hardware.

Is the MOBO giving a beep code? Some MOBOs don't have the beep speaker built in and require you to plug one into the corresponding pins.

If you're installing a mainstream OS you should be fine. Generally only If it's some weird rear end niche OS like Blue Hat Temple OS will you than need to be concerned about supported MOBOs.

Holy poo poo. :staredog:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/gods-lonely-programmer

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Oh then you missed the part when he was posting in YOSPOS. Those were fun days.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Oh then you missed the part when he was posting in YOSPOS. Those were fun days.

Links?

He still posts markov generator poo poo on Hackernews all the time.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 28, 2016

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is this what they call outsider art?

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

Geemer posted:

It should be possible if none of the clips snapped off. Good luck!
Some were pretty bent. I had a couple others look at it and it couldn't be salvaged so I had to go and buy a new motherboard but all is well now. :cool:

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I've started dabbling with gaming and have a pair of Sony MDR-1BT that I use for Bluetooth music and stuff.

I want a Bluetooth USB dongle so that I can use my cans for gaming and maybe the pinhole mic too.

Any recommendations?

Edit: just ordered a cheap unbranded £5 one from eBay. Will see how it goes.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 29, 2016

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

apropos man posted:

I want a Bluetooth USB dongle so that I can use my cans for gaming and maybe the pinhole mic too.
You will probably get noticeably bad latency doing this, but good luck!

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Alereon posted:

You will probably get noticeably bad latency doing this, but good luck!

I hadn't thought about latency with gaming over Bluetooth. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'll look out for that when the little dongle thing arrives.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 7, 2016

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I'm quickly discovering that I'm rubbish at playing FPS games with a gamepad... But couch gaming is otherwise awesome.

Any if you know a decent keyboard + mouse couch solution? Is there a super-compact keyboard with like a full-size WASD or something?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I'm using a wired xbox 360 controller, plugged into the top of my Fractal Design R5 which is just behind the foot of my couch. It's plug and play for Windows 10 and the cord is long enough to come from my PC at my feet and up to my body with room to spare. I have a £20 Advent (PC World) wireless keyboard and mouse plugged into one of the other top USB ports in the R5. I've got a Raspberry Pi2 running moonlight embedded that's streaming the display from my Nvidia card to my 50" TV.

It's not exactly what you were asking in terms of controls, but I thought I'd mention my setup.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

apropos man posted:

What would cause a seemingly healthy disk to stop the OS booting for 20 to 30 seconds?

How exactly is it hooked up to the computer? I've had the exact same model hard drive (until it started showing bad sectors and I replaced it) but never had any issues like that.

I do have an external drive that does it, though. But that's because it spins down again after the UEFI checks it and then Windows has to spin it up again. Does that sound at all familiar to your situation?

Alternately, post the full SMART data instead of the results from the SMART self tests.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I've only ever hooked it up as an internal drive, directly to the SATA on the motherboard. Will post more smartctl results when I'm home. I asked at work if it's the size of the drive, requiring longer self check on OS boot but the guy I asked said it shouldn't take that long.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

quote:

Read SMART Data failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

From his SMART output. That doesn't look promising, unless he needs to send a specific command to the drive to get output.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

anatomi posted:

I'm quickly discovering that I'm rubbish at playing FPS games with a gamepad... But couch gaming is otherwise awesome.

Any if you know a decent keyboard + mouse couch solution? Is there a super-compact keyboard with like a full-size WASD or something?

LinusTT reviewed Roccat Sova MK a week ago, which is his preferred of the three he has reviewed. One of those bed trays could be an alternative if you find a suitable model.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Saukkis posted:

LinusTT reviewed Roccat Sova MK a week ago, which is his preferred of the three he has reviewed. One of those bed trays could be an alternative if you find a suitable model.

LoL at the 33 second mark. That thing is obscene!

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Thanks for the suggestions! Been thinking and now I'm leaning towards a Steam gamepad. Half the pleasure of couch gaming is being able to sit like a loving slouch.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I lie across the couch on my back, tilted towards the TV a bit. I might have to reposition if I play anything that requires lots of keyboard input beyond the odd keypress to toggle landing gear or jump drive.

Those sova boards posted earlier look brilliant. Pity they weren't £50 cheaper.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Further to my earlier posts about a suspected faulty 3TB drive, I just finished a badblocks r/w scan. Here's the bash output:

code:
foo@bar:~$ sudo badblocks -wsv /dev/sdc -o badblocks-result-started-Nov-1-evening.txt
[sudo] password for foo:
Checking for bad blocks in read-write mode
From block 0 to 2930266583
Testing with pattern 0xaa: done
Reading and comparing: Too many bad blocks, aborting test073739552/0/0 errors)
done
Testing with pattern 0x55: Too many bad blocks, aborting test073741823/0/0 errors)
done
Reading and comparing: Too many bad blocks, aborting test073741823/0/0 errors)
done
Testing with pattern 0xff: Too many bad blocks, aborting test073741823/0/0 errors)
done
done
Testing with pattern 0x00: Too many bad blocks, aborting test073741823/0/0 errors)
done
done
Pass completed, 1073741823 bad blocks found. (1073741823/0/0 errors)
As you can see from that, I'd told badblocks to write any errors to a file called "badblocks-result-started-Nov-1-evening.txt". The file is plain text. Line 1 contains sector number 1585274200 and the last line contains sector number 2780084601. The log file is 11GB in size. I am safe in assuming that this drive is toast, yes?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
The scan wasn't able to access the drive at all (it couldn't read so it never tried writing or verifying), so either it's dead completely or there's some sort of weird compatibility issue at play that's keeping you from accessing the drive.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
With HDD prices these days if a disk took me longer than half an hour to get working properly I'd RMA or bin it and get a new one. In the bad old days before the mid-90s you expected a fight with your hardware, but now it's either plug and play or it's broken as far as hard drives go.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Alereon posted:

The scan wasn't able to access the drive at all (it couldn't read so it never tried writing or verifying), so either it's dead completely or there's some sort of weird compatibility issue at play that's keeping you from accessing the drive.

It took over 30 hours and I had it running in a screen session in Linux, so I could detach the terminal, log out and then reattach later to see how it was getting on. There was a steadily increasing percentage displayed (due to the -s flag) and the system was noticeably laggy during (it's a low performance Braswell server). I watched the log file periodically for the first 3 hours or so, off and on, and it was empty for a while until it started growing. When I first logged in and noticed it was getting huge it was at 4.4GB. The test must've been doing something.

Before I did the destructive r/w test I did a simple read test with badblocks and it returned no errors, so there's a huge difference between the two for fault finding.

Gromit posted:

With HDD prices these days if a disk took me longer than half an hour to get working properly I'd RMA or bin it and get a new one. In the bad old days before the mid-90s you expected a fight with your hardware, but now it's either plug and play or it's broken as far as hard drives go.

Yeah. It's only for downloaded media. If it had been showing wear due to usage I'd have considered using it for non critical stuff. With this many errors it's getting canned.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So one of my Hard drives (non-SSD) has started disappearing sometimes when I wake my computer up from sleep. Device Manager can't seem to detect it either, but restarting the computer fixes it.

Sign of dying hardware?

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 4, 2016

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Run a CrystalDiskInfo report and see what it says about bad blocks etc.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Away all Goats posted:

So one of my Hard drives (non-SSD) has started disappearing sometimes when I wake my computer up from sleep. Device Manager can't seem to detect it either, but restarting the computer fixes it.

Sign of dying hardware?

Yea get all your data off of that drive pronto, if making sure the power cord is securely in place doesn't solve the issue.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013
Is this the right thread for looking for joystick recommendations?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Anyone got an idea as to what might be causing the following? The first culprit for me is the video card, which I just got refurbished from an RMA failure last week, but I want to be certain before I send it out for RMA again. When I boot my PC, it runs fine for about five minutes or so, then the visual signal cuts out and only a reboot can get it going again. This only happens the first time I boot it each day. That's not at all like the issues I was having before, but I guess they could've fixed it poorly, or given me a different unit with a new problem (though the serial is the same, if I remember). I'm hoping that isn't indicative of like, a power supply issue or anything, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Could you clone one computer's OS to another with different components?

I want to clone my desktop (i5 3570k) to a laptop that will use the i7 6700HQ (so different chipset), windows 10. If so, I'm assuming the first step is to uninstall all drivers before doing the clone?