Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Big Centipede posted:

There's a movie about ChristianMingle made by ChristianMingle on Netflix. It's called ChristianMingle.

The Flop House episode on it is pretty golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm trying not to spoil poo poo for the person who wants to watch it. The premise is kind of lovely though, I agree.

Turtlicious has a new favorite as of 08:18 on Nov 3, 2016

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Inzombiac posted:

The Flop House episode on it is pretty golden.

Link me broski.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Turtlicious posted:

I'm trying not to spoil poo poo for the person who wants to watch it. The premise is kind of lovely though, I agree.

Says the dude who quotes huge spoilers in his post. :classiclol:

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Big Centipede posted:

There's a movie about ChristianMingle made by ChristianMingle on Netflix. It's called ChristianMingle.

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding. I wonder how much Lacey Chabert was paid to do it.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Watrick posted:

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding. I wonder how much Lacey Chabert was paid to do it.

I never lie about ChristianMingle

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Field Mousepad posted:

Link me broski.

http://www.flophousepodcast.com/2016/09/episode-213-christian-mingle/

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
The time is ripe for a horror parody, ChristianMangle.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I started season 2 of Zoo on Netflix today and it looks like it's gone off the rails in the best most insane ways. Now animals aren't just murdering people by mauling but beavers teamed up to divert a river and flood a mine, ants are crawling into peoples spines, and humans are mutating into monstrous things. This isn't what I expected at all.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Zoo is crazy in a fun way. If you expect serious animal apocalypse then you will be disappointed. My only gripe is they back off the crazy a bit toward the end of the season.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
E: it was OTC that asked:

OldTennisCourt posted:

Is Happy Valley worth giving a shot?

Someone earlier asked if Happy Valley was worth watching on Netflix; I vote yes, and I'm watching Broadchurch now that I've finished HV.

The two shows have a lot of basic similarities: both are "one mystery a season" (not "mystery per week") crime serials involving policing in small towns in England. I've been pondering the differences:

- Happy Valley is set in the bleak moors of Yorkshire, and has one key cop protagonist so you get a lot of her personal struggle involved. Also despite the fact that Broadchurch is (afaict) is set in a smaller community, HV is more laser-focused specifically on the crime and less about the larger court system and media. HV also has more of a Lock-Stock-esque feel where there are multiple at-first-unrelated plot points that come together to be part of a whole by the end of the season.

- Broadchurch is set in a small beachside town in Somerset, down in Southwest England. Great visuals with the ginormous Jurassic Cliffs as a backdrop, and as an American I've enjoyed hearing the "rhotic" dialect spoken there, that is instead of pronouncing "car" as "cah", it's "carrr", vageuly piratey. Broachurch has at least two cop protagonists (one a Scottish guy with his own accent) but with less deep building backstory on either. Also the larger world plays a much clearer role, with media coverage of the crimes having a big part, journalists and lawmakers from the outside world reaching in, etc.

Overall I think HV is more of a personal drama, BC is more epic-saga. I like the feel of the moors environment and local culture in HV more, but I think BC does a better job of being atmospheric and brooding, and apparently has a tight relationship with the soundtrack composer Ólafur Arnalds who's apparently a big musical deal.

I'm 3/4 of the way through Broadchurch; would Hinterland be the next good follow-up for an atmospheric crime series set in the rural UK? Hinterland (Y Gwyll in Welsh) apparently got subsidies for really playing up the Welsh angle and using the Welsh language, so should have a lot of regional flavor. It appears to be more a "mystery per week" series but that might make it more bite-sized and less temptation to just binge through it. Or are there better foreign crime serials (Netflix or Amazon) I should check out?

TapTheForwardAssist has a new favorite as of 03:39 on Nov 21, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sky High is on Netflix and is pretty good for a Disney TV movie. Was it in theaters? I saw it as a teenager and liked it. It holds up pretty well.
It has Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kurt Russell and a couple chaps from Kids in The Hall.

Edit: oh and Jim Rash!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Inzombiac posted:

And Bruce Campbell, and Tom and Jill from Mr Show. They knew just how to make a movie I could sit through with the kids.

Remulak has a new favorite as of 16:27 on Nov 21, 2016

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Sky High is on Netflix and is pretty good for a Disney TV movie. Was it in theaters? I saw it as a teenager and liked it. It holds up pretty well.
It has Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kurt Russell and a couple chaps from Kids in The Hall.

Thank you

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Watched Under the Sun on Netflix last night and really recommend it. It wasn't the traditional documentary format I was expecting, but it did provide a truly amazing (and therefore depressing) glimpse into the daily lives of North Koreans living in Pyongyang.

Edit: good write-up https://www.google.com/amp/www.lati...l?client=safari

best bale has a new favorite as of 19:25 on Nov 21, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Gomiboy posted:

Thank you

:stare: You're welcome.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Haha, I saw this in theatres. So it was definitely a real release.

A Proper Uppercut has a new favorite as of 11:25 on Nov 23, 2016

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know when house of cards s5 comes out? I started rewatching the series a couple months ago, and am almost done. Very much looking forward to the new season.

Although I hear beau willimon is no longer involved, and he was one of the major producers/writers.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
netflix:

I watched 2 episodes of Doctor Foster, the description made it sound like a mystery but it comes off as complex chick drama. Any comments? I'm not inclined to watch any more.

Watched the 2 episode pilot of Emergency!, a 70's series on the beginnings of their paramedic units and passage of the Wedworth-Townsend Paramedic Act. Surprisingly well done and a serious dramatization of the issues and concerns surrounding the act by doctors and trained paramedics.

Tried to watch Spotless but only made it about 1/2 way through the first episode. VERY by the numbers and one trope after another. Every scene felt like I had seen it dozens of times.

The Bletchley Circle is about a group of female code breakers post WWII that get bored and solve murders. It is outstanding.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

wormil posted:

netflix:

I watched 2 episodes of Doctor Foster, the description made it sound like a mystery but it comes off as complex chick drama. Any comments? I'm not inclined to watch any more.

It continues to be that way but I enjoyed it.

I'm about halfway through 3% on Netflix, it's a pretty cool Brazilian series about a dystopian world where slum dwellers have to pass a bunch of hosed up "tests" to become one of the 3% of society who get to live in a utopia. Reminds me of Black Mirror.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I'm a few episodes into Hinterland now on Netflix, and it is indeed an appropriate follow-up to watching Happy Valley and Broadchurch.

Very similar overall feel, being a brooding and dark crime serial about rural UK. The biggest difference is structural, Hinterland is a "mystery a week" series of 90-minute episodes instead of being one mystery spread out over the course of the season. That make it less binge-able since you can stop whenever, which is arguably a good thing since with both of the previous series I somehow ended up watching the second-to-last episodes past midnight and having to stay up extra late to watching the concluding episode.

Happy Valley is Northern England, Broadchurch is Southwest England, and Hinterland is set in rural Wales. It's got the most local flavor of these series, with strong Welsh accents, and they lapse into full non-English accents whenever they say proper names so that's kinda cool. It was apparently filmed simultaneously in Welsh (which must save a lot of costs) but I do wish they had at least some scenes in the English version done in Welsh for flavor.

Knowing going into it that it's a mystery-per-week I was curious how they'd manage to have so many different separate mysteries without turning one single village into the crime capital of the Commonwealth, but it turns out the police department in this series covers a lot of territory, so it ends up being different murders spread out over a large rural swath. Compared to the other series, this one is way more poo poo-kicker rural middle of nowhere setting, I didn't know Wales even had enough room to have so much empty space.

Overall I've enjoyed all three; I'd recommend Hinterland if you want bite-sized chunks and Broadchurch if you want a season-long epic, but Happy Valley isn't too distant of a third choice. I'm going to run out of Hinterland eventually; any more dark and moody atmospheric crime dramas to add to my list on Netflix or Amazon, or do I have to join Hulu too?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I seem to remember people saying there is a point where Bojack Horseman gets good, is that during S1 or later? We watched 3 episodes earlier and I don't care if I ever watch another.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

I seem to remember people saying there is a point where Bojack Horseman gets good, is that during S1 or later? We watched 3 episodes earlier and I don't care if I ever watch another.

That point is during S01E01. Condolences on having bad taste.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

wormil posted:

Ignore the above post. Give it 4 or 5 episodes.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Any suggestions for a good actiony show like Person of Interest or a sci-fi one like Fringe on Netflix or Prime Video?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

flatluigi posted:

Any suggestions for a good actiony show like Person of Interest or a sci-fi one like Fringe on Netflix or Prime Video?

My wife and I binged through Fringe two years ago and Person of Interest last year, and loved both shows. It isn't nearly as good as either show, but Prison Break can be a fun action thriller with a good cast, when it isn't being completely stupid. The first season is the best, followed by 2, then the balls-out insanity of 4. At least 3 is short.

Have you seen Lost? If not, you'll love it if you enjoyed Fringe and PoI. The Flash gets around to some of the cool alternate/parallel Earth stuff that was my favorite part of Fringe, and it has a wonderful cast who always do their best, even when the writing isn't spectacular. And Charlie Jade, a South African sci-fi/noir series, was just added to Prime Video. That will be the next thing we binge.

For another action/crime show, Justified (on Prime Video) is AWESOME. It starts out as a procedural like PoI and Fringe did, but by the end of Season 1 and especially in each of the other seasons, it has a much more serialized structure.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fumaofthelake posted:

Yeah, it was about then for me.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Fumaofthelake posted:

What post? :smug:

Okay thanks, I'll watch a few more.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

wormil posted:

Are you saying you didn't like Neal McBeal the Navy Seal?

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I'm going to run out of Hinterland eventually; any more dark and moody atmospheric crime dramas to add to my list on Netflix or Amazon, or do I have to join Hulu too?

I thought The Fall was pretty good, and it seems like it would be right up your alley so you might want to check that out. It's on Netflix, so no need for Hulu.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

wormil posted:

4 or so, but it's not a show that you should be walking in and out of the room and chatting with people while it's going on or you'll be totally lost and bored, and "we watched it but" is perennially guilty of that

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

wormil posted:

What post? :smug:

Okay thanks, I'll watch a few more.

Haha sorry. What I meant was ignore the post implying that you should be grabbed on the first episode. I've watched all 3 seasons but it took me a long time to go back to it after watching the first two episodes.

I actually like it more in retrospect but it did not grab me in any way the first time.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I moved partially into Fringe's first season and couldn't follow it as a result. Is it at all streamable or do I have to resort to other methods to give the whole thing a view?

Can anyone suggest other things that have the same weird tech/near future capabilities of PoI (and Fringe)? The technology possibilities were what I loved best second to all the character interaction. From what I've heard about how weird it gets late in the show, I'm not sure I want to give Lost a try.

the future is WOW posted:

I thought The Fall was pretty good, and it seems like it would be right up your alley so you might want to check that out. It's on Netflix, so no need for Hulu.

The Fall is awesome and I need to watch S3 now that I have Netflix back. I should probably also rewatch X-Files now that I'm older. Is everything with Gillian Anderson awesome or are there things to avoid? Yes, I've watched Hannibal.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I started watching Hell on Wheels and the first season was pretty good and I was happy. However, the second half of the second season went downhill fast, the main character got side-lined in favor of shallow soap opera and the episodes got so bad that I feel like I'm watching some old 90's series where arbitrary things contained within a single episode happen in order to squeeze emotions out of people and then everything gets deus-ex-machined back to normal and nothing really gets taken forward. Does the series recover later or should I stop bothering?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Thing about Lost is that clearly there was never a plan for success and each season is kinda seat of the pants. At times I loved it and sometimes it was frustrating but it had one of the best series finales I've ever seen.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

wormil posted:

Thing about Lost is that clearly there was never a plan for success and each season is kinda seat of the pants. At times I loved it and sometimes it was frustrating but it had one of the best series finales I've ever seen.

They had a plan, but then it got super popular so S3 they started having to really stretch it out. Once they set the deadline and start racing to the end it picks right back up though.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
13 Assassins is available on Netflix (USA at least). It's a great movie, especially if you've enjoyed other samurai period dramas. The combat scenes are riveting, and the characterization and motivations of the characters are excellent compared to other martial arts films. It's pretty long at about 2h20m. I think this is the version where they edited out the sex scene/gay joke. It's an improvement

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 04:20 on Nov 29, 2016

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Overall I've enjoyed all three; I'd recommend Hinterland if you want bite-sized chunks and Broadchurch if you want a season-long epic, but Happy Valley isn't too distant of a third choice. I'm going to run out of Hinterland eventually; any more dark and moody atmospheric crime dramas to add to my list on Netflix or Amazon, or do I have to join Hulu too?

Top of the Lake is very good and on Netflix. I'm assuming you've seen the Killing and the Bridge? I'm not sure where its available but River also has a similar vibe.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

wormil posted:

here's a breakdown of the themes behind this cartoon show about a talking horse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rORIDYHOFTQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I got a fancy-rear end new Dolby Vision HDR + 4K TV, is there any Netflix 4K content that's also good TV or is it just dreck so far?