Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

a new study bible! posted:

The NBA has always been that way though so it doesn't matter unless they created a cool system for distributing draft picks. Give the championship winner pick 30, the worst team in the league pick 29, the championship runner up pick 28, second worse 27, and so on.

Some sort of bell curve model where the teams that are right on the cusp of the playoffs get the best picks would be cool and rad. It would also force the worst teams to get better in free agency before they could start getting decent picks.

Just curious, how would teams force themselves to get better at free agency if they're perennial losers who also can't get a draft pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MourningView posted:

That team with a Kyrie/Wiggins/Thompson core would be pretty lovely

Yes

But hinkies whole plan was to trade assets as well. I mean the cavs are the perfect example of a Hinkie team. He just did or was doing what they did.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah but they got Noel + another first in that trade and a lot of people thought he was going to be really good and the first ended up being pretty high too I think?
they got Nerlens Noel and Michael Carter Williams (now the Lakers protected pick) for Jrue Holiday which is p much a wash at this point although maybe the Lakers pick winds up being like #5

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Cool Buff Man posted:

Just curious, how would teams force themselves to get better at free agency if they're perennial losers who also can't get a draft pick

By overpaying bad players, duh

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can't believe we are still arguing I'd hinkie was right .

The problem was he was too right and the league can't handle it .

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

Yes

But hinkies whole plan was to trade assets as well. I mean the cavs are the perfect example of a Hinkie team. He just did or was doing what they did.

Right and it only succeeded because the best player on earth happened to be born nearby

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

euphronius posted:

They never drafted in a spot when a guard was bpa.

And also nobody wants to trade them for a guard because nobody wants big men.

Cool Buff Man posted:

By throwing the most money at players? IDK give the worst teams a cap advantage to sign free agents. Im just spitballing here bro.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

straight up brolic posted:

they got Nerlens Noel and Michael Carter Williams (now the Lakers protected pick) for Jrue Holiday which is p much a wash at this point although maybe the Lakers pick winds up being like #5

Not McW, they got saric and another #1 for holiday

McW was thier pick

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MourningView posted:

The Spurs are like the defining example of tanking working

It's all well and good if you can pull rotation worthy fringe all stars out of nothing but it helps to have generational big men to build around

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MourningView posted:

Right and it only succeeded because the best player on earth happened to be born nearby

He never would have come back if they didn't have love kyrie tt.

You make a good point though.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Duncan and Curry were both drafted by those teams.

The Warriors and Spurs also drafted Draymond Green, Klay Thompson, Manu Ginobli, Tony Parker, and Kawhi Leonard
Duncan is retired and the Spurs are still some level of contender, and while he was still good last year, he wasn't the reason they won 67 games. Curry was the 7th pick. The Warriors didn't win a lottery, which to me is what the guy was talking about. None of the other guys mentioned required that high of a draft pick to get.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

euphronius posted:

I can't believe we are still arguing I'd hinkie was right .

The problem was he was too right and the league can't handle it .

"Hinkie was right" is just saying "It's better to have a high draft pick"

Obviously it's true, but its hosed up and retarded that the league rewards putting trash on the court and actively getting worse for years at a time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Obviously it's true, but its hosed up and retarded that the league rewards putting trash on the court and actively getting worse for years at a time.

Agreed. Hinkie shows the Real of this and the league revolted in horror. Don't show the Real.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

So how is this different from every other sport, what ideas are you trying to say

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

euphronius posted:

He never would have come back if they didn't have love kyrie tt.

You make a good point though.

Kyrie was the Clippers' pick they were too dumb to protect

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Hinkie was right. If Joel Embiid ever met you he'd spit in your loving face.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Duncan is retired and the Spurs are still some level of contender, and while he was still good last year, he wasn't the reason they won 67 games. Curry was the 7th pick. The Warriors didn't win a lottery, which to me is what the guy was talking about. None of the other guys mentioned required that high of a draft pick to get.

There are obviously fringe cases where a great player slips out of the top five, but it's not like we're talking about the NFL draft here.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Spring Break My Heart posted:

it's been one game my guy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Duncan was phenomenal in defensive rating last year wasn't he.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'm sure russell "my brother is the fattest man in the world" westbrook just spends all of his time taunting fat people on camera

much lessbrook seems like a nice man

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

much lessbrook seems like a nice man

He's great and Russ seems to love him a lot. I like a family man

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

It's a shame Philly dumped Hinkie, then he could just trade Embiid, Okafor*, Noel*, and Saric for prospective future first round picks, since it is clear that none of those four will be transcendent players. He should have just kept the treadmill going until Lebron Junior hits the league, then he would have enough draft capital to move up and get him for sure.

*except that nobody wants to trade for them

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I think the fat man had it coming imo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The best way to build a team is to buy another bad team's lotto picks with aging expensive vets and then become a mediocre playoff team with above average regular season stars.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Also Desiigner definitely had it coming

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's a shame Philly dumped Hinkie, then he could just trade Embiid, Okafor*, Noel*, and Saric for prospective future first round picks, since it is clear that none of those four will be transcendent players. He should have just kept the treadmill going until Lebron Junior hits the league, then he would have enough draft capital to move up and get him for sure.

*except that nobody wants to trade for them

In three years he got embiid and Simmons.

That's pretty good.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

The best way to build a team is to buy another bad team's lotto picks with aging expensive vets and then become a mediocre playoff team with above average regular season stars.

You can't really spin Boston's situation to be a bad one even if you try to be as stupid and reductive as possible

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Literally no owner would sign up for their team to actively be bad for 4-6 years. Hinkie was fired because he was loving terrible at executing his strategy. They flopped in draft after draft and kept kicking the can to being good down the road. The 76ers won 10 games last year and only have two, possibly four, promising young players. Embiid is cool.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cool Buff Man posted:

You can't really spin Boston's situation to be a bad one even if you try to be as stupid and reductive as possible

?????

I'm saying it's the best possible ?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Philly is definitely going to get something of value for Noel in February, unless his surgery rehab goes seriously wrong and he isn't healthy.

Okafor would have teams interested in him for sure but unless someone offers a high lottery pick there's really no point in Philly moving him yet, he could still be really good.

If Philly took Porzingis instead of Okafor in 2015 draft then Hinke probably still has his job.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

euphronius posted:

above average regular season stars.

This is likely what happens to Philly after 4 years of tanking.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

?????

I'm saying it's the best possible ?

I'm so used to people being sarcastic about Boston that I've become bitter. Sorry mate.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Unless you are banking on Simmons being a top 5 player, which is possible, but counting on it seems silly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Literally no owner would sign up for their team to actively be bad for 4-6 years. Hinkie was fired because he was loving terrible at executing his strategy. They flopped in draft after draft and kept kicking the can to being good down the road. The 76ers won 10 games last year and only have two, possibly four, promising young players. Embiid is cool.

If saric is good which I think he may be and the Lakers pick is good they flopped in no drafts.

Noel is a disappointing result.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

There are obviously fringe cases where a great player slips out of the top five, but it's not like we're talking about the NFL draft here.

10 of last year's 15 all-NBA players were taken fifth or later

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This is likely what happens to Philly after 4 years of tanking.

Simmons and embiid ceiling well above anything on Boston right now save for the bkn pick and swap.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I think the fat man had it coming imo

imo visiting teams should be able to eject one fan per half

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Unless you are banking on Simmons being a top 5 player, which is possible, but counting on it seems silly.

Uhh... isn't that exactly the idea? Get lottery picks, draft well and hopefully one of them is a franchise piece to build around?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Shear Modulus posted:

imo visiting teams should be able to eject one fan per half

Court Rules: Jury Selection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

euphronius posted:

Simmons and embiid ceiling well above anything on Boston right now save for the bkn pick and swap.

I wish I had as much faith in Embiids health as you do.

• Locked thread