Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

What is USB-C and why is it good?

it's the new standard, Apple has embraced, most new smart phones will have it, it's reversible, and allows (standard, in spec) really high voltage and power charging, so it can power a laptop with no problems. It's just better in every way.

*there's a current mess with companies making fake cables, that's a problem with the mfgs, not the spec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Cool. Is there a seal of quality to look for?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

Cool. Is there a seal of quality to look for?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vnpEXfo2HCGADdd9G2x9dMDWqENiY2kgBJUu29f_TX8/pubhtml

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yes, Four Swords Adventures.

*uses less electricity than an xbox 360

in my head the couch order was kaz/medibot/pokecapn/kfj and this is killing me

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yes, Four Swords Adventures.

*uses less electricity than an xbox 360

This is madness, so instead of four GBAs, you use four GC's with the GBA player connected via the GBA-GCN link to a Wii?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Jerk McJerkface posted:

This is madness, so instead of four GBAs, you use four GC's with the GBA player connected via the GBA-GCN link to a Wii?

How else do you suggest they record an LP of FSA?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Xad posted:

How else do you suggest they record an LP of FSA?

I'm impressed, it's really ingenious. However, I find it funny they included power, like if they didn't have that, they'd be sitting around wondering how to make it all work.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Detective No. 27 posted:

How does Laura Kate Dale not get all of her friends fired for leaking poo poo?

The sources are the reporters themselves.

Laura, Emily Rogers, etc.They all went undercover as members of Miyamoto's private harem

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm impressed, it's really ingenious. However, I find it funny they included power, like if they didn't have that, they'd be sitting around wondering how to make it all work.

It's all worth it, in the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFFlfzaqgFs&list=PLPZd8MPtv0vh8007XlMp3RCSKG5EbUD1z

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

InFlames235 posted:

Triple AAA games

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

it's the new standard
You're thinking of USB 3.1. USB-C is kind of a weird knockoff.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Great Joe posted:

You're thinking of USB 3.1. USB-C is kind of a weird knockoff.

Nah, usb-c is the new standard. It's literally the only connector that's on the new Macbook Pros, and also on all the good android phones.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Double AAAA games

Electromax
May 6, 2007
USBC is the United States Bowling Congress, it means Nintendo is getting expert input in fine-tuning their Switch Sports bowling mode.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Jerk McJerkface posted:

it's the new standard, Apple has embraced, most new smart phones will have it, it's reversible, and allows (standard, in spec) really high voltage and power charging, so it can power a laptop with no problems. It's just better in every way.

*there's a current mess with companies making fake cables, that's a problem with the mfgs, not the spec.

Funnily enough, the new iPhone 7 doesn't have USB-C. Which doesn't fit well with the new USB-C only MacBooks they revealed today.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Lol. Nintendo and apple are truly twins separated at birth.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Both their CEOs died of cancer after trying eastern medicine. Checks out.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Rexroom posted:

Funnily enough, the new iPhone 7 doesn't have USB-C. Which doesn't fit well with the new USB-C only MacBooks they revealed today.

Need to have those lightning cables so they can get manufacturers on the MFi certification program.

Meanwhile I'm wishing there was a certification process for USB because turns out any yahoo with a few dollars to spare can toss a jumble of wires together and call it USB-C and the only thing keeping me from buying a cable that burns my phone out is a Google engineer's Amazon reviews.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

Nah, usb-c is the new standard. It's literally the only connector that's on the new Macbook Pros, and also on all the good android phones.
ok i did a google and

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Why'd they have to go and make this thing so confusing? It'll be real weird Switching over.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

All I know is that it makes it so I can plug things into a charger in the dark without having to flip the connector over 5-7 times.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
The number is the software (requirements version). The letter is the hardware (requirements version). So if you have a connecter that fulfills the requirements for C, then it is capable of using 3.1.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
3.1 is the (collection of) protocol(s), USB-C is the new plug type.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

3.1 is usb-c when still inside the volcano

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Why is the headphone jack on the top? That seems an awkward place to put it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

so you can rest it on your tum tums in bed and game on without disturbing the peace

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So you can stand it up on its own. If it were on the bottom that would not be possible. If it were on the side you couldn't have headphones in while having the controller attached.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

InFlames235 posted:

Current gen titles are definitely coming to this thing - why wouldn't they? There have already been numerous 3rd parties interested in porting their games and confirmed triple AAA games as well that are coming to Switch.

The only "confirmed" AAA games I've seen are the two in the trailer. One of them came out for the 360 and PS3 in 2011 and the other is an annual sports title that still has a 360 version.

Power is the reason. This isn't a home console - it's a portable that can get away with a TV dock because mobile hardware has gotten that much better. You're not going to port games designed for the PS4 and XBox One to it without making giant image quality and framerate compromises. It would end up like the garbage Wii version of Modern Warfare 2. Nobody is going to buy obviously-inferior versions of "real" games, especially if they're one of the tens of millions of people who already own a current-gen console.

All those third parties who have signed on? They're either porting catalog titles, porting annual releases that still have last-gen versions, or are dicking around with dev units while waiting to see if this thing actually sells. The "this time third parties are on board!" train tries to leave the station every generation with Nintendo. It always derails. It's always bullshit. You're dumb for believing it at this point. This is a Nintendo Games console, and honestly that's great assuming they don't price it like idiots.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Smash Brothers Switch. What more can I say? It'll be everything you ever dreamed of.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Reiley posted:

Smash Brothers Switch. What more can I say? It'll be everything you ever dreamed of.

i hope it has ice climbers but its a switch and a dock instead of eskimos

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

i hope it has ice climbers but its a switch and a dock instead of eskimos

They've grown up a bit since last you may have seen them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCXABhlj3nI&t=98s

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

DalaranJ posted:

The number is the software (requirements version). The letter is the hardware (requirements version). So if you have a connecter that fulfills the requirements for C, then it is capable of using 3.1.
Note that technically USB 3.1 as it was known before got renamed to USB 3.1 gen 2 (or something like "Superspeed+" or USB 10gps), while USB 3.1 gen 1 is basically USB 3.0 ("Superspeed", 5gbps) with some tweaks. But I think most random manufacturers and sites and everything still call it 3.1. So basically 3.1 might not be the 3.1 you're thinking of if you're looking at some random stuff. Y'all remember USB 2.0 high speed and full speed, where one of them was just USB 1 renamed? They did that poo poo again basically.

And if you have some poo poo cable it might break things or just not work at 3.x speeds. Or not work at all.

Anyway USB C is cool cause the alternate modes, basically it can switch modes and run any protocol over the cable. Like with Thunderbolt 3 it does USB (3.1g2), PCIe, and DisplayPort, along with power.

If the Switch is connecting to the dock through it, it's probably passing power, USB (if those dock ports connect to something and not just charge), and HDMI through the single port. And barring them doing some proprietary poo poo (totally possible!), you should be able to use whatever USB C dock/breakout cable to hook it up too. Not sure why you'd want that vs the dock other than travel use or something though. Or a cheaper connection...that might fry the Switch going by the random USB C cable quality right now.

TheScott2K posted:

The only "confirmed" AAA games I've seen are the two in the trailer. One of them came out for the 360 and PS3 in 2011 and the other is an annual sports title that still has a 360 version.

Power is the reason. This isn't a home console - it's a portable that can get away with a TV dock because mobile hardware has gotten that much better. You're not going to port games designed for the PS4 and XBox One to it without making giant image quality and framerate compromises. It would end up like the garbage Wii version of Modern Warfare 2. Nobody is going to buy obviously-inferior versions of "real" games, especially if they're one of the tens of millions of people who already own a current-gen console.

All those third parties who have signed on? They're either porting catalog titles, porting annual releases that still have last-gen versions, or are dicking around with dev units while waiting to see if this thing actually sells. The "this time third parties are on board!" train tries to leave the station every generation with Nintendo. It always derails. It's always bullshit. You're dumb for believing it at this point. This is a Nintendo Games console, and honestly that's great assuming they don't price it like idiots.
The engines dev are using can scale down to poo poo level old Intel graphics, if the thing sells decently enough they'll put random crap out on it. They already make image quality and frame rate compromises to make them run on consoles vs higher end PCs.

I for one am looking forward to 160x90 Battlefield 1...if there's enough RAM in the drat thing.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Happy birthday to me!!!! :toot: :buddy:

Philip Rivers fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 28, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I saw a friend run Overwatch on his Surface, not built for gaming at all.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
The Switch is going to get plenty of 3rd party support just like 3DS, though western devs are up in the air. Like, I would be very surprised if bethesda puts the newest TES game on Switch versus just putting their trading card game on it but it's not at all like Wii was. And if the system sells it won't at all be like WiiU was.

Wii vs. PS3/360 comparisons don't work quite as well here because the gap between Switch and a modern console won't be quite that large, especially in terms of their CPUs. The issue with the Wii and it getting ports was less "they would have had to make a lovely looking version" and more "it literally cannot run the game as designed, no matter what you do about the lighting, shading, textures, etc.".

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Philip Rivers posted:

Happy birthday to me!!!! :toot: :buddy:

Happy Birthday.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

greatn posted:

I saw a friend run Overwatch on his Surface, not built for gaming at all.

Should've got it on the Shield

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Connect with usb-c is f.o.e.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
f o e?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU