Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maybe juror #11 was just a dick and they voted "gently caress the BLM"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

nm posted:

Marcus Mumford has been released.

What exactly was behind his dumb stunt? It seems obvious they weren't getting cut loose because of the Nevada stuff but I'm no fancy lawyer.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Wow, didn't expect this to happen. But will this happen again? I'm sure this will make the Bundys go hogwild and get into another mess that will probably end with them killed, but the rest...what will happen next?

because they are religious nuts and will almost certainly try something like this again.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Kazak_Hstan posted:

More like, go to Arkansas, where you loving garbage people belong.

Where do you think a bunch of those Oregon rednecks came from in the first place

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Yes, the rule of law means that jury verdicts must be respected. However, "I disagree with the government so I will get my guns and take things over" is literally the opposite. What the jury did was validate the idea that laws don't matter if you are white and have guns. That is wrong, it undermines the rule of law, full stop. These jurors are bad people who support bad ideas and will be responsible for more bad things happening.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
someone who believes they are above the laws of man and justified by god is probably not just gonna sit around and watch Big Bang Theory imho

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I declare today the start of White History month.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Wow, didn't expect this to happen. But will this happen again? I'm sure this will make the Bundys go hogwild and get into another mess that will probably end with them killed, but the rest...what will happen next?

I'm not worried about the Bundys pulling another publicity stunt. I'm concerned with people who make the Bundys look like a boyscout troop seeing this and thinking "if they got away with that what do I have to worry about?"

I'm concerned that what happens next will be a domestic terrorism event on the same scale as 9/11. Someone mentioned it earlier - a group of sovcits were caught in the midwest planning to car bomb an apartment complex (and then shoot any survivors) that was mostly occupied by Somali immigrants. These are the kind of people who will be emboldened into action by this acquittal.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

this gay country deserves the civil war 2 that trump and morons like these guys are trying to make happen

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Nah, its fine to be pissed over an obvious miscarriage of justice. Jury nullification is "a thing" in that "it is a thing that literally undermines the rule of law." Our justice system is robust enough that a single case will not tear it apart, but that does not mean the proper response to a complete abuse of the system is "whatever brah, get high"

this, bingo

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Nah, its fine to be pissed over an obvious miscarriage of justice. Jury nullification is "a thing" in that "it is a thing that literally undermines the rule of law." Our justice system is robust enough that a single case will not tear it apart, but that does not mean the proper response to a complete abuse of the system is "whatever brah, get high"

Is impotent rage a proper response?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Is this like OJ for sovcits?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

LGD posted:

if the government can't enforce sovereignity over a bird refuge, the only rational conclusion is that societal collapse is imminent

Hahaha yes

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Geoj posted:

I'm not worried about the Bundys pulling another publicity stunt. I'm concerned with people who make the Bundys look like a boyscout troop seeing this and thinking "if they got away with that what do I have to worry about?"

I'm concerned that what happens next will be a domestic terrorism event on the same scale as 9/11. Someone mentioned it earlier - a group of sovcits were caught in the midwest planning to car bomb an apartment complex (and then shoot any survivors) that was mostly occupied by Somali immigrants. These are the kind of people who will be emboldened into action by this acquittal.

It's kind of interesting that this happens right when it looks like Hillary Clinton is getting the presidency by a possible landslide. Not to say that things will play out the same, but it is worth noting that with this case as an example that maybe we may be reaching a point where the stupid rural white terrorism is actively fought against. After all, empowering the stupid only results in them getting hit that much harder the next time.

I'm quite angry with how this turned out. But I get the strange feeling this is the start of their end. Somehow them getting mocked for their 'invasion' only to show how weak and pathetic they are (most of them being Stolen Valor types who cried for their comrades who are on the dole and didn't want to ruin it) really puts a dent in their pride. Not that the Bundys aren't dangerous, but that a lot of the thrust behind this white bigot movement is a bunch of weak people with very outdated and sad ideas on masculinity, freedom, and the world itself. After all, a lot of the power behind this movement is a lot of insecurity that is mixed with the idea of masculinity where violence solves all problems, which in today's world just exposes the pathetic pretty quickly (see Trump's behavior for that one).

I don't know. All I know is that the demographics are changing and apparently the bigots are seeking relief from it. Or maybe, in some cosmic way, this is to gear all of those Trump supporters up only to watch him lose and lose big and begin their descent. Maybe out of bullshit something good comes. I don't know.

P.S. -- were the Bundys and the tardforce occupiers charged for identity theft? I get the feeling this isn't over, either.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

IANAL, but if the prosecutors had messed up jury selection we'd expect a hung jury with only one or two nullifiers. All 12 voting not guilty on almost all charges suggest the population as a whole is sympathetic to the Bundys and iffy on the whole "rule of law" thing. That or the prosecutors are exceptionally unlucky.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Peztopiary posted:

Is impotent rage a proper response?

I'm posting another thread hold on!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Burt Sexual posted:

I'm posting another thread hold on!

Hurry the gently caress up, society is collapsing!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

if I did the prosecution jury selection for this trial I would leave to be a hermit in the mountains cause how the gently caress do you live a failure this bad down?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

if I did the prosecution jury selection for this trial I would leave to be a hermit in the mountains cause how the gently caress do you live a failure this bad down?

It's basically a supervillian origin story.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
govt can't even win a slam dunk case how can they be expected to manage like a billion acres in western lands

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I'm failing to see any takeaway from this other than should've finished em like Finicum.

I mean gently caress of course it isn't a sign of societal collapse, it's a sign that society's still keeping on rock steady despite a lot of people's best effort to make it not explicitly and blatantly racist.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

TotalLossBrain posted:

Hurry the gently caress up, society is collapsing!

Posting from my underground bunker ATM.

Funny how the left turns to the tactics of the alt right so fast. Do you own gold yet or bought your seed store packets?!

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
What a kick to the balls...Hopefully the next "Peaceful protest with guns" will result in some kind of "Hey dicks, don't do that again." result instead of this cock-a-mamie bullshit.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Heh, Oregon.

Good to know I need to avoid this state.

Fake edit - dictation wanted to make that " Good to know I need to snuff this stage." Almost left is as is.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Potato Salad posted:

Heh, Oregon.

Fake edit - dictation wanted to make that " Good to know I need to snuff this stage." Almost left is as is.

I'm starting to wonder what States should not be avoided these days

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Now for the other no brainer in 11 days that the public really needs no not gently caress up :smithicide:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Articles about this are popping up on news websites in Utah. The number of commenters cheering on the "patriots" sickens me.

How does open sedition and attempting to start a revolution against the US Government make you a patriot?

I also do worry about drastic reactions by these people to a trump loss. I also worry because kids getting killed in mass shootings isn't enough to make us consider gun control, and I don't know if deaths at the hands of these yokels will be taken any more seriously.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
What the gently caress? Up yours Oregon Jurors.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Potato Salad posted:

Heh, Oregon.

outside of portland and ashland, oregon is redneck as gently caress. source: i live in rural oregon.

this verdict does not surprise me at all with how much people suck outside of those two cities.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Everything I heard on NPR (lol) was that the town was pretty split between support of the occupiers and hate for the occupiers. If you can't even get 50-50 on juror selection you hosed up bad

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

xthetenth posted:

I'm failing to see any takeaway from this other than should've finished em like Finicum.

I mean gently caress of course it isn't a sign of societal collapse, it's a sign that society's still keeping on rock steady despite a lot of people's best effort to make it not explicitly and blatantly racist.

it's good to know that the change we need to make to ensure a better and less racist society is for the police to engage in more extra-judicial killings

LGD has issued a correction as of 03:43 on Oct 28, 2016

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

LGD posted:

it's good to know that the change we need to make to ensure a less racist society is for the police to engage in more extra-judicial killings

Duterte 2020

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

these people are gonna lose their loving minds when Trump loses the election lmao

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
are you legit telling me that the prosecutors let there be 12 jurors who think 'don't point guns at federal officials and takeover government property' are unjust laws

How in the gently caress did this happen, Jesus

I'd have expected a hung jury before this kind of bullshit.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

TheMadMilkman posted:

Articles about this are popping up on news websites in Utah. The number of commenters cheering on the "patriots" sickens me.

How does open sedition and attempting to start a revolution against the US Government make you a patriot?

I also do worry about drastic reactions by these people to a trump loss. I also worry because kids getting killed in mass shootings isn't enough to make us consider gun control, and I don't know if deaths at the hands of these yokels will be taken any more seriously.

This was a bird refuge in the middle of no where, not Ft Knox

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

are you legit telling me that the prosecutors let there be 12 jurors who think 'don't point guns at federal officials and takeover government property' are unjust laws

How in the gently caress did this happen, Jesus

I'd have expected a hung jury before this kind of bullshit.

Did thy point guns at Feds? I really didn't follow too closely.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Burt Sexual posted:

This was a bird refuge in the middle of no where, not Ft Knox

This was public land that belongs to all three hundred million Americans, not just dumb hicks who live close to it.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kazak_Hstan posted:

This was public land that belongs to all three hundred million Americans, not just dumb hicks who live close to it.

I've never been there, sorry 😐

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Maybe juror #11 was just a dick and they voted "gently caress the BLM"?

my pet theory is that the judge telling the jury to start over from the beginning of their deliberations resulted in them going "well gently caress you buddy we worked really hard on that"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Homura and Sickle posted:

my pet theory is that the judge telling the jury to start over from the beginning of their deliberations resulted in them going "well gently caress you buddy we worked really hard on that"

what happened exactly I've been too distracted with the trumpocalypse to pay attention