Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Casimir Radon posted:

Yes there was. But you get away with calling it art when you're rich.

you can buy anything he had off amazon right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2016/10/oregon_standoff_defense_lawyer.html#incart_maj-story-1

quote:

Defense attorneys who worked with defendants in the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge occupation trial said Thursday's victory for the defendants should send a sobering message to the federal government.

Change your strategy.

Listen to rural Americans.

And stop trying to make them out to be violent zealots and bully them with the heavy hand of the law.

"I think that (the government) may learn from this -- that ignoring a protest movement isn't effective," said Lisa Ludwig, who served as standby counsel for defendant Ryan Bundy. "Like just attributing a lot of violence to them and dismissing them doesn't stop it and doesn't work."

"Maybe this is a lesson that that's not the way to engage with these people, who want nothing more than just to be heard, just to have a forum to talk about the injustices like the case of the Hammonds and the treatment of ranchers," Ludwig said.

Dwight Hammond Jr. and Steven Hammond are a father and son who were convicted of lighting public land on fire next to their Harney County ranch lands. They were twice sentenced to prison time, after appellate judges determined they weren't properly sentenced the first time.

Defense attorney Tiffany Harris, who was a standby lawyer for Shawna Cox, said the defendants had important messages to be heard, such as their concerns about threats to their way of life.

"I hope the government listens," Harris said. "I hope everyone listens."

During trial, federal prosecutors contended that the occupiers weren't just peaceful protesters: They trashed refuge offices, used government computers as their own, disturbed Native American sacred sites by using heavy equipment to dig latrines for their human waste and trained with hand-to-hand combat and firing squads. Authorities recovered more than 1,000 shell casings from the site, as well as a load of firearms.

Although the defendants were well-armed, the takeover of the refuge wasn't about violence, said Matt Schindler, who was standby counsel for defendant Kenneth Medenbach.

"Guns in a culture outside the city of Portland, it means something very different," said Medenbach. "For these defendants and for these people having a firearm has nothing to do with a threat or anything else. It's as much a statement of their rural culture as a cowboy hat or a pair of jeans."

"If they just stood out there with signs no one would have cared," Schindler continued. "But by going onto a piece of federal land and exercising their First Amendment rights and their Second Amendment rights, contemporaneously they had the power to be heard. People from all over the world came and heard them and listened to them."

Thursday afternoon, as the occupiers' supporters rushed out of the federal courthouse and breathlessly waved their arms in the air and hugged each other, it became clear that the verdict also might embolden protesters.

"I think it's good for everybody's right to protest -- from hanging off of a bridge to sitting in a tree to occupying a park in Portland to occupying a refuge," said Ludwig, the defense attorney. "It's an affirmation of every citizen's right to use civil disobedience to make their voice heard when they feel like nothing else is working."

But Schindler, the defense attorney, said anyone who protests in a similar fashion to the refuge occupiers should be prepared to be arrested, spend time in jail and possibly be convicted of a crime.

"If your idea of civil disobedience is breaking the law, then you have to be prepared there are consequences for that," Schindler said.

Schnidler said his client, Medenbach was unlike many other clients who, upon arrest, immediately want to get out of jail.

"I think one of the extraordinary things about Ken Medenbach was that ...he sat in county jail for six months when he could have pled guilty and walked out the door of the jail," Schindler said. "'If I have to sit in jail for two years' -- he said to me -- 'I'm willing to do that.'"

lmao they're already planning their next "protest" on twitter btw

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I get that the conspiracy was hard to prove. But come on, theft of government property? The loving jury fell for the 'i was going to return it with a full tank of gas, honest' defense.

If nothing else, this will embolden them, and they'll get firebombed for their next scheme.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
gently caress it it, they want zero taxes, and zero gov, let them have it.

Let's get Dust Bowl 2 ready.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

Not the outcome we needed, but certainly the one America deserved.

Fiore is already bragging about it, too.

Not bragging so much as literally encouraging terrorism:

AN ACTUAL ELECTED GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL posted:

The verdict shows that Americans need to stand up to unlawful behavior by federal employees.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

zeal posted:

isn't living in a decaying empire awesome

Dark Ages Deux are going to be hilarious. Nothing but LARPers as far as the eye can see.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Joke's on all of us. Trashed refuge, not-guilty verdict, and public defenders - pay up, motherfuckers.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Peztopiary posted:

Dark Ages Deux are going to be hilarious. Nothing but LARPers as far as the eye can see.

And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

red19fire posted:

I get that the conspiracy was hard to prove.

conspiracy is the 'prosecutor's darling' because it's so easy to prove, all blame for this rests entirely on jury selection

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

NPR had a story before the verdict from the native american tribe that had all their poo poo desecrated about how they really didn't want to make it about them being victims even though it was awful but how a bunch of tribes offered help and maybe a movement might come out of it now that there is a viscerally clear example of white men making GBS threads on sacred sites.

whelp.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
this certainly proves a thing: Americans deserve each other

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
welcome, friends, to the shape of the nightmare to come

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVekJTmtwqM

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I've had an emergency plan to move to New Zealand if America ever goes super-bad that I've never seriously considered but I am legitimately investigating it now. Between this and Trump I don't think I have ever been more collectively disappointed in the American people in my entire life.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Glad to see that terrorism is legal in the US if you're white, again.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

zeal posted:

And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.

Everyone is immortal, and forced to cosplay constantly as medieval serfs. The nobility are all the current one percent, and pretend to have magic powers. It's all ruthlessly enforced by a mad God-Computer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ate all the Oreos posted:

NPR had a story before the verdict from the native american tribe that had all their poo poo desecrated about how they really didn't want to make it about them being victims even though it was awful but how a bunch of tribes offered help and maybe a movement might come out of it now that there is a viscerally clear example of white men making GBS threads on sacred sites.

whelp.

Remember the last time Native Americans tried occupying Federal property?

Yeah, about that…

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Peztopiary posted:

Everyone is immortal, and forced to cosplay constantly as medieval serfs. The nobility are all the current one percent, and pretend to have magic powers. It's all ruthlessly enforced by a mad God-Computer.

Wait this isn't the dark enlightenment mock thread

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Casimir Radon posted:

Yes there was. But you get away with calling it art when you're rich.

:lol: when you don't even read the article you link to, god drat

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Wait this isn't the dark enlightenment mock thread

I've got bad news friend.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They can just bring a civil suit against Ammon and Friends and bleed them dry.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Not bragging so much as literally encouraging terrorism:

I legit hope that person dies in a fire.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
gently caress yeah, I'm going to go pitch a tent and take a dump in the DMV lobby.

Edit: maybe the tent part was a euphamism, and maybe it wasn't

OMG JC a Bomb! has issued a correction as of 06:04 on Oct 28, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
what the gently caress

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Casimir Radon posted:

They can just bring a civil suit against Ammon and Friends and bleed them dry.

:lol: even if they win a judgment against them how do you propose they collect on it?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If we get another occupation soon that's just more entertainment.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Geoj posted:

:lol: even if they win a judgment against them how do you propose they collect on it?
Surrender of property. It doesn't matter if they can get the full amount out of them, taking their nice things away is the goal. On top of that the Bundys are going to be feeling pretty indestructible right now so they might not even show up to court and get themselves some nice contempt charges.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Casimir Radon posted:

Surrender of property. It doesn't matter if they can get the full amount out of them, taking their nice things away is the goal. On top of that the Bundys are going to be feeling pretty indestructible right now so they might not even show up to court and get themselves some nice contempt charges.

Last time someone tried to take their cows to satisfy a debt, it went great.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

nm posted:

Last time someone tried to take their cows to satisfy a debt, it went great.
Just another oppurtunity for them to dig themselves a deeper hole. This time they'd be loving with a tribe they attempted to make weak platitudes towards while putting their dirty dick paws all over their artifacts.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Casimir Radon posted:

Surrender of property.

This works until the Bundys put out a call that the jackbooted thugs are coming to unconstitutionally seize their property and we end up with Bunkerville II.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hit their cows with drone strikes.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Casimir Radon posted:

Just another oppurtunity for them to dig themselves a deeper hole. This time they'd be loving with a tribe they attempted to make weak platitudes towards while putting their dirty dick paws all over their artifacts.

How fukkin deep does this hole need to get

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Gum posted:

Does it really matter when there's a jury-shaped wormhole at the bottom of the hole?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Gum posted:

Until they burn up at the earth's core and get their own planets to gently caress up.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Scary thought: Nevada probably has a worse jury pool than Oregon.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nm posted:

Scary thought: Nevada probably has a worse jury pool than Oregon.

Was just about to post this - after this verdict they're all but untouchable, and if the Nevada trial ends poorly for the government they're going to have a blank check to do whatever they want for the rest of time.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Man reading into this case it's loving crazy how many informants the government had embedded in their ranks.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Casimir Radon posted:

Until they burn up at the earth's core and get their own planets to gently caress up.

You mean until they find out magma doesn't hurt them, break through to China and idk get a Nobel prize for it

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Geoj posted:

Was just about to post this - after this verdict they're all but untouchable, and if the Nevada trial ends poorly for the government they're going to have a blank check to do whatever they want for the rest of time.

How's that work? Double jeopardy means they can't be tried for this slew of BS but if I get acquitted of murdering Joe, I'm not somehow immune to prosecution for murdering Jack.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

BlackIronHeart posted:

How's that work? Double jeopardy means they can't be tried for this slew of BS but if I get acquitted of murdering Joe, I'm not somehow immune to prosecution for murdering Jack.
They might try the same defense. We're just innocent ranchers, city folks don't understand, look at mah hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well, they've proven the system works.

"Jury of one's peers" you can't read it any more loving literal than that. I need to find a drink. :negative: