Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Dillbag posted:

I'm probably going to do this too. WIND is killing me with their poo poo coverage and garbage speeds. The only reason I've stayed with them is for the $15/mo unlimited roaming plan for the 4 times I year I go to the states.

Anyone have a referral code they want me to use?

email me, I like dollars jm20@cogeco.ca

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I am fairly happy with my 6GB Rogers plan but I rarely use more than half of it, and I often find myself camping in an area that only has Telus service, so lopping $20 off my bill while receiving better coverage would be p chill. Just saw this in the fine print though, is this typical?

quote:

Data usage is rounded up each session to the nearest 10KB.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Unless I missed something I believe number portability is required for all Canadian carriers by the CRTC as a consumer protection measure:
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/num.htm

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

drat that's a good deal even in Sask. The amount of data outweighs any free sasktel wifi I would ever be using.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

THC posted:

I am fairly happy with my 6GB Rogers plan but I rarely use more than half of it, and I often find myself camping in an area that only has Telus service, so lopping $20 off my bill while receiving better coverage would be p chill. Just saw this in the fine print though, is this typical?

quote:

Data usage is rounded up each session to the nearest 10KB.

I'm on the $25 talk & text + $30 6GB add on with Fido. Looking at my bill looks like they calculate per 1KB by day.

I tried rounding every day to the nearest 10KB and it's about 38KB extra, not a big deal I think.

EDIT: My math was off, after rounding up every day to the nearest 10KB it's 138KB extra. Still pretty negligible I think.

waxluthor fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 27, 2016

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
If a session is a day, the worst case loss to rounding should be 9kb * 30 days = 270kb. I think?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
PM doesn't have fancy reporting for deep dives into usage metrics

pre:
Data Add-ons
  Add-on Name	Data Limit* (MB)	Data Used** (MB)	Remaining Data (MB)	Status 
6GB Data	6144	744.915	5399.085	Active

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
My Public Mobile SIM just arrived. :toot:

Can someone who's done it give a quick explanation of porting a number? (on break or I'd look it up myself) I've never had to do it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Mister Macys posted:

Can someone who's done it give a quick explanation of porting a number? (on break or I'd look it up myself) I've never had to do it.

I think it's just an option you have when you register your SIM, or an option you have on the self-serve website after you have finished registering your SIM.

With Koodo, it was just click a button on their site and follow their steps. It shouldn't be a problem for you.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Mister Macys posted:

quote:

But... how do I port my number?
You follow the steps above, and follow the web prompts that deal with porting your number during the sim card activation process, which takes about an hour. Further instructions with pictures.

Do I need to contact my previous provider to cancel before I port to Public?
:siren: DO NOT cancel with your previous provider unless you don't want your old number. Follow the port instructions above and the old account will be canceled. :siren:

Do I need to pay off my bill before I port?
Your previous provider should send you the last bill, pro-rated to the day you've left them. Any issues with that, just contact CCTS and file a complaint.

What if I'm porting from Koodo or Telus?
There is a known issue If you're using the same email as your previous account. Create your account with a new number, then message one of the moderators to help you move it over.

Do I have to port my number when I sign up for the plan? Or can I sign up now to test out signal, and then port my number over later?
You can port your current number over at any time, you don't have to port it when you create your PM account.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

So my contract is about to expire, and I'm thinking about switching providers. I'm currently with Bell, and queued up to switch to a $80/month BYOD plan with 1GB and unlimited nation wide minutes. I've noticed that I can get 2GB and unlimited from Virgin, Fido or Koodo for $55/month. What the hell would I get for forking an extra $25/month to Bell? poo poo, I can switch to Rogers or Telus and save $5.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
If you need a phone subsidy, those Virgin/Koodo/Fido plans are going to go up.

If you don't need a subsidy, the consensus seems to be that Public Mobile is your best bet

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

2 questions: What happens with that 4 GB for $40/month offer after November 20, do I start paying full price, or can I keep that rate, but I just need to sign up before then? Has anybody done the math for buying the new iPhone full price and bringing it to public mobile vs getting a subsidy from someone else?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

1.) Right below the OP in the thread summary:

What happens after 90d? You renew and grandfather your prepaid plan forever and ever and ever

Visa Debit isn't working on their activation page, and it's a known issue. JFC. :smith:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 28, 2016

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Mister Macys posted:

Visa Debit isn't working on their activation page, and it's a known issue. JFC. :smith:

You have a month, don't worry too much about it.

I just can't believe they're owned by Telus and undercutting their parent company this severely. What's the strategy here?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

yippee cahier posted:

I just can't believe they're owned by Telus and undercutting their parent company this severely. What's the strategy here?

I'm incredibly doubtful of this deal for that very reason

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I finally got a text from mobilicity saying that I'll be moved to chatr "soon"

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm incredibly doubtful of this deal for that very reason

The industry's collective strategy that as long as the big three have the same tiers of MVNOs they're extracting the most they can at roughly equal market share.

Premium Tier: Rogers/Bell/Telus
Standard Tier: Fido/Virgin/Koodo
Scrub Tier: Chatr/Solo/Public

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

But does being with the Telus brand actually offer anything that Public doesn't?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

PM doesn't have phones, subsidized or not. BYOD only.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Some things that for most people aren't a big deal.

PM has no US/International roaming, no iPhone visual voicemail versus Telus. (But Koodo has both those so why bother with Telus)
Rogers has their Roam-Like-Home that isn't available to Fido/Chatr.

The top brands are for people who need literally everything, and for business people who's colleagues will laugh at them if they notice their iPhone is on Fido instead of ROGERS.

e: ^ yeah that. Public doesn't offer devices, but Chatr just started selling a Samsung Galaxy J1 so I wouldn't be surprised if they also start offering cheap smartphones soon.

less than three fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 28, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

PM doesn't have phones, subsidized or not. BYOD only.

Are the phones even subsidized? The only time I've ever looked it up you're just amortizing the cost over the contract period. Although I guess it's zero interest, so you might save some tiny amount there.

No US is actually a bigger deal though, anyone know how that gets handled if you do go down?

E: Apparently no service at all without a separate SIM and plan from a different provider? Wtf

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 28, 2016

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
PM doesn't offer any phones at all.

Other carriers will add $x per month to your contract depending on phone to ensure they break even on it.

From what I've read your PM sim will just have No Service down in USA. But hey if your phone is unlocked there's no reason to not be using a T-Mobile prepaid sim down there anyways.

e: ^ Understand "travelling to the US" isn't a big selling point so if you're one of the minority who needs it, suck up you're saving money and have to pay $20 when you head across the border, or pay Rogers $50 more every month but get ~free roaming~

If you want a decent plan, but still be able to roam in the USA at reasonable rates without having to change sims, pick up something with Koodo.

less than three fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 28, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Roam like Home is actually one of the most non-poo poo things about Rogers, I've used it a number of times now both overseas and in the US, I'm a big fan of the value of it. I don't have to worry about public wifi or buying a foreign sim anymore.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Public mobile has worked well for me, but if you use them for business and need a monthly receipt it's a painful process requesting one. And you need to do it each month. :smithicide:

e: Also, I generally think petitions are wastes of time, but the CRTC has been on a bit of a tear lately so this might be worth signing/supporting
https://act.openmedia.org/datacaps

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cellphone-use-surges-so-do-bills-canadians-call-for-an-end-to-data-caps-1.3824774

quote:

To ease the financial burden for Canadians, internet advocacy group OpenMedia is calling on the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission to kill data caps on wireless plans as well as home internet.

The group will make its case at an upcoming CRTC hearing on internet pricing.

OpenMedia has also launched an online petition to support its cause, which it says has 45,000 signatures and counting.

"We want uncapped, unlimited, affordable plans," says OpenMedia's Katy Anderson in Calgary.

I don't think it's likely to succeed but hey never know.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

drat, I ordered that Public SIM. What a sick deal! Will be nice to finally have proper data and for a price that competes with what I was getting on my mother-in-law's Bell retiree plan (and be nice to have control of and visibility to my own cell phone bill).

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Acer Pilot posted:

I finally got a text from mobilicity saying that I'll be moved to chatr "soon"

Yeah when I went in last week to pay my bill the guy said that November is when everyone's getting moved over

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

number porting stuff

Do you know (with Fido) if I were to transfer now would what's left on my phone subsidy also be pro-rated or that amount goes down only when my bill comes out?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Colonel J posted:

Do you know (with Fido) if I were to transfer now would what's left on my phone subsidy also be pro-rated or that amount goes down only when my bill comes out?

If you have a subsidized phone, expect to pay the outstanding subsidy. If you are also breaking a contract you may be on the hook for some more cash also. You should be able to call customer service to determine the total cost of cancelling which should include both the mentioned costs. The final months service will be prorated upon porting.

ed: dont cancel service over the phone, you would initiate a number port, which will then have your old carrier total the costs and issue you a final bill. I suggest removing any autopay prior to proceeding so you can review the line items and argue with them prior to them holding your money hostage.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I love how passive aggressive number porting is. You don't even let them know, they just get a message that you're with someone else now. It's like breaking up by via texting a pic of you making out with someone else.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So based on reading this thread Bell will screw me the most if I need a phone but at the same time Rogers will screw me the hardest on Cable and internet. Stupid low Canadian dollar.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Got my Public Mobile SIM but their web activation isn't processing my credit card. VISA says there's no block or problem on their end, they're just seeing a zero dollar charge that immediately gets rescinded by the vendor for some reason. And oh yeah, there is no phone support for public mobile, only "community moderators" and a 48 hour response time to support emails. I know you get what you pay for, but it's not looking good so far...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

A zero dollar charge might just be them doing an authorization just to make sure the card exists... Normally we (people who deal with online CC payments) would do an authorization for your full price, then do a 'capture' which actually takes the money. When it's post-paid, like a gas station, they authorize a few hundred dollars, then only capture the ones you spent.

Uhhh, I don't have any advice, that's just how it works.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I mean even without US roaming this Public Mobile deal does seem to be absolutely the right move. It's just going to be a complete pain the few times a year I go the states for work.

JoelJoel posted:

I love how passive aggressive number porting is. You don't even let them know, they just get a message that you're with someone else now. It's like breaking up by via texting a pic of you making out with someone else.

If that wasn't how it worked, I'm 1000% sure they would "accidentally" remove your ability to port it, just to discourage you from switching.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

PittTheElder posted:

I mean even without US roaming this Public Mobile deal does seem to be absolutely the right move. It's just going to be a complete pain the few times a year I go the states for work.

If that wasn't how it worked, I'm 1000% sure they would "accidentally" remove your ability to port it, just to discourage you from switching.

Roam mobility for us

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Someone gimme their public mobile referral number so I can complete signing up. Either pms or email I guess.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Odobenidae posted:

Someone gimme their public mobile referral number so I can complete signing up. Either pms or email I guess.

Risky Bisquick posted:

email me, I like dollars jm20@cogeco.ca

Thanks for the referral dollars to those that did it already :homebrew:

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 29, 2016

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

JoelJoel posted:

Apparently Bell has been calling people after they port to convince them to change their minds :lol:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Godinster posted:

Apparently Bell has been calling people after they port to convince them to change their minds :lol:

"After the last time you raised your prices fist and beat me some more? You've said sorry before; why should I believe you now?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Godinster posted:

"Please come back baby, I can change! I promise!"