Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BlackIronHeart posted:

How's that work? Double jeopardy means they can't be tried for this slew of BS but if I get acquitted of murdering Joe, I'm not somehow immune to prosecution for murdering Jack.

No, but if you get acquitted of killing Joe and Jack, you're probably not going to think twice about killing Ben and the DA might even be worried about charging you and losing again.

edit: Also assume that murder is more complex and controversial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
There are at least pictures of them pointing guns at police in the Nevada case, which wasn't the case in Oregon. lmao what am I even saying, laws don't apply to them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So can the guys who pled guilty try to appeal their charges now? They've admitted to it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

This was a bird refuge in the middle of no where, not Ft Knox

Tell that to the people that were stalked in Burns during the occupation.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

BlackIronHeart posted:

How's that work? Double jeopardy means they can't be tried for this slew of BS but if I get acquitted of murdering Joe, I'm not somehow immune to prosecution for murdering Jack.

this is a much more complicated case than a murder would be, and this verdict creates a precedent for cases like this in the future.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^
It doesn't create a precedent. Jury verdicts don't do that.
However, they do make prosecutors wary.

Casimir Radon posted:

So can the guys who pled guilty try to appeal their charges now? They've admitted to it.

No.
They can try to withdraw pleas, but without a showing of a legal defect ("I changed my mind" isn't on), they lose. And they're now traitors, so the sovcits won't even help them.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Casimir Radon posted:

Nah its actually pretty common for people tried separately to get contradictory verdicts

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Well always have Paris dead LaVoy. And Ritzheimer in prison

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
they're just going to immediately do this again, but will have even more human shields women and children present and the feds will be more inclined to not be as kid gloved with the militia this go around and we'll have another OKC before we know it :xd:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BlackIronHeart posted:

Think about it - if they skate on the Oregon armed occupation of federal property and armed interference of federal agents carrying out lawful orders in Nevada what can you convict them of? As long as they keep doing this in areas with a sympathetic jury pool I honestly don't think there's a charge that will stick.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Boner Zone posted:

they're just going to immediately do this again, but will have even more human shields women and children present and the feds will be more inclined to not be as kid gloved with the militia this go around and we'll have another OKC before we know it :xd:

Nah, if anything it will be the opposite and the feds will be even more reluctant to move against them in future

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/10/as_trial_ends_surreal_scene_le.html

quote:

U.S. District Judge Anna J. Brown told him that there was a U.S. Marshal's hold on him from a pending federal indictment in Nevada.

"No, he's released on these charges. He's acquitted. Nevada doesn't have jurisdiction,'' Mumford yelled, standing before the judge. "If there's a detainer, show me.''

"Mr. Mumford, you really need to never yell at me now or never again,'' the judge responded.

Brown told Mumford that she's releasing Bundy on all federal holds in the Oregon case, but he'll have to take up any questions about the federal holds from the Nevada case with the U.S. Marshals Service.

Suddenly, a group of about six to seven U.S. Marshals, who had been standing around the perimeter of the courtroom, slowly moved in and surrounded Mumford at his defense table. The judge directed them to move back but moments later, the marshals grabbed onto him.

"What are you doing?'' Mumford yelled, as he struggled and was taken down to the floor.

As deputy marshals yelled, "Stop resisting,'' the judge demanded, "Everybody out of the courtroom now!''

Mumford was taken into custody by the Federal Protective Services.

He was cited for failure to comply with a federal lawful order and disturbance and released with a Jan. 6 date to return to federal court, said Eric Wahlstrom, supervising deputy of the U.S. Marshals Service.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
We just have to wait until they escalate it to storming a military installation and then at that point the problem just solves itself.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cubey posted:

this is a much more complicated case than a murder would be, and this verdict creates a precedent for cases like this in the future.

I think different charges could have gotten a different verdict. There was footage of people doing bad things like at the very least vandalism, but they weren't charged with that.

And I guess if no federal employees actually tried to go to work, that left enough wiggle room for reasonable doubt on the conspiracy to impede charge. Sure, the militants posted armed guards and loving snipers to control who went in and out, but maybe that's not proof they would have interfered with any office staff coming into work.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I'd love to see those jurors show up for court if a dozen armed "protesters" were occupying the courthouse with a sniper on the roof.

It's only confusing to idiots, which this country is unfortunately not lacking.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I'm pretty confused as to why they jumped him if the judge told them to move back?
If that fact pattern is complete and accurate, it would seem that the marshals overreacted. Given that even the appointed attorneys seem to backing his story, I'd tend to side with that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The jury may also have latched onto the fact that the workers were allowed to work from home.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Good job, America.

There was not a clear path to gently caress this one up, but you found it.

Outstanding!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I've seen that episode of Law and order

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://youtu.be/QCozh_vbYdM

This video cheered me up a bit.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Janet reno was right

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WINNINGHARD posted:

Janet reno was right

With another Clinton about to be President I look forward to more Wacos being perpetrated on SovCits.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

I'm pretty confused as to why they jumped him if the judge told them to move back?
If that fact pattern is complete and accurate, it would seem that the marshals overreacted. Given that even the appointed attorneys seem to backing his story, I'd tend to side with that.

Probably because he interfered with marshals returning an inmate to custody?

In Mumford's account in the video he said he turned to the marshals when they approached and asked to see their papers. That's after the judge had told him there was a hold from Nevada. I'd guess a) the marshals didn't move in to hassle Mumford, they moved in to take Bundy, and b) they probably told Mumford to get out of the way. He knew exactly what he was doing. If, however, those guesses are wrong, then yeah, it seems a bit premature to grab him.

And all the appointed counsel did not agree with him:

quote:

Defense lawyer Matthew Schindler, standby counsel for defendant Kenneth Medenbach, said he was disappointed by Mumford's challenge to his client's return to custody, considering he faces more serious federal charges in Nevada.

Schindler said Mumford was exhausted, having "put out everything he had,'' during the past six weeks of the case.

Defending a bunch of lawless assholes - even in the profoundly unprofessional way Mumford did - is fine and good. Pushing that same sort of lawlessness yourself to burnish your sov cit cred is not. The Nevada court didn't have jurisdiction to hold Ammon Bundy? Mumford was literally pulling the "show me three forms of ID or you're not a cop" bullshit sovcits do on traffic stops. Give me a loving break.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Mumford is, himself, a sovcit.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Y’all are jealous that Marcus Mumford is the greatest living defense attorney.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

CaptainSarcastic posted:

With another Clinton about to be President I look forward to more Wacos being perpetrated on SovCits.

these embarassments have took the public's property with force and got away with it. They should have been shot.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

CaptainSarcastic posted:

As someone that lives in Oklahoma it's going to suck using federal buildings during another Clinton administration.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

It's absolutely clear now that the common man needs a babysitter to hold his tongue so that he doesn't choke on it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

WINNINGHARD posted:

It's absolutely clear now that the common man needs a babysitter to hold his tongue so that he doesn't choke on it.

A nanny, if you will.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hobbesmaster posted:

The jury may also have latched onto the fact that the workers were allowed to work from home.

yeah, as soon as I heard that bit about workers being able to work from home, i worried that that would get latched on to and possibly lead to some charges not sticking. i certainly did not anticipate full loving jury nullification though

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
next time they should just loving roll up in armored vehicles and drop tear gas.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

WINNINGHARD posted:

these embarassments have took the public's property with force and got away with it. They should have been shot.

You're advocating for extra-judicial killings. You've literally become the powerless boogieman of the Sov Cits. You should rethink your choice.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
america deserves death

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

ate all the Oreos posted:

I've had an emergency plan to move to New Zealand if America ever goes super-bad that I've never seriously considered but I am legitimately investigating it now. Between this and Trump I don't think I have ever been more collectively disappointed in the American people in my entire life.
people call me crazy for saying poo poo like, 'I want to flee to the Maldives before poo poo gets anymore ridiculous', and im not even white :argh:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
JUSTICE

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/SMatsumoto55/status/791853427198271488

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Oh look the sad misguided gently caress with daddy issues learned nothing. Can we please not have this weird obsession with being sympathetic toward David fry next time?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

You fucks are going to elect Trump too aren't you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

cargo cult posted:

people call me crazy for saying poo poo like, 'I want to flee to the Maldives before poo poo gets anymore ridiculous', and im not even white :argh:

The high point of the Maldives is 2.4 m above sea level. That’s mean sea level, not high tide.

Just saying.

Pull up! Pull up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

next time they should just loving roll up in armored vehicles and drop tear gas.
Yeah when I think of sympathetic government I think "Mount Carmel" lol