Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
And the Skyrim Unbound guy also retired from modding earlier this year. Which means the only alternate start mod for SE is... Arthmoor's.

god loving dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Do we know if SPERG is going to be updated?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

IAmTheRad posted:

So I should download a 12GB game to update a mod I made with TES5Edit. Got it.

Oh Lord no. I stopped updating my Bethesda.net mods because the ck is a huge laggy pain in the rear end compared to FO4edit.

I just meant that it's technically possible even if you can't run the game.

ohjoshdarnit
Nov 2, 2005
Adventurer

super fart shooter posted:

Has anyone tried importing a save from old skyrim? I heard you were supposed to be able to do this

Also, it looks like the unofficial patch is already out

Yes I transferred mine over successfully but it only works with unmodded saves supposedly. If you have lots of mods installed it get dicey. I only had a few minor ones so I disabled them, went into old Skyrim and loaded/saved, then copy/pasted the saves over. This tells how to do it when you have more complex mods: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=249185622

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So my impression of how this runs is "chunky." And it's not very much prettier. Welp.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

GunnerJ posted:

So my impression of how this runs is "chunky." And it's not very much prettier. Welp.

Several people were getting crashes in the first 30-45 minutes, too, so ... :shrug:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The environment is pretty but the character models really don't benefit from the "HD" treatment. I guess redoing all the faces to be more in the style of Fallout 4 probably would have been a lot of work, though.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
The view distance is fantastic, though.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

If, for some reason, you feel compelled to download Gifts of Akatosh through Bethesda.net, don't; it seems to cause the game to hang when reloading the mod list.

Its rating is already going down, so I'm assuming other people are having the same issue.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

set large object view distance, and shadow distance to low.

Further, the vsync is double buffered, so anything short of 60 is going to gently caress your poo poo right down to 30.

Run Rivatuner, add SkyrimSE.exe, and set a Framelimit to 60, Custom Direct3D support: on.

SkyrimPref.ini in my documents/my games/skryim SE

ctrl+f

iVSyncPresentInterval

= 0

That "should" get you running with a frame limit (physics still go bonkers over 60 FPS, but not TOO bonkers), and it will let you drop some frames without completely loving the frame rate to poo poo. Whether you need to adjust any other quality options is another story, but the above distance settings are CPU bound. Depending on your situation they may net you 10fps a pop. On the plus side, Skyrim was designed to obscure as much as possible, so you shouldn't notice either setting being "low".

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Also where is the Skyrim SE creation kit, I don't see it in my tools menu in Steam like the regular CK. :confused:

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Psion posted:

Also where is the Skyrim SE creation kit, I don't see it in my tools menu in Steam like the regular CK. :confused:

Not out yet. Next week

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Psion posted:

You might be able to use the beta version? I think I saw a link for it when I was setting up my bethesda.net account.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I was on my ~bi-annual modding spree when this dropped. Yes, it runs well but to be entirely frank, vanilla old skyrim runs well on recent computers, too. It'll probably be more about how much better it runs loaded down with a bunch of mods.

It pretty much looks like vanilla skyrim+HD texture DLC with better lighting. Nothing you couldn't get with a lightweight enb-preset. I'm not really impressed but it's a free update so. :shrug: I haven't played vanilla skyrim all that long so I might not notice the finer details in resolution etc.. I guess it's more of an update for the console folks, they didn't even get the HD pack.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Is there a super detailed change log covering any/all of the changes?

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Does SE even use the official high res texture pack from the original game? The character models so far would indicate no.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
To be honest, I was hoping for a little bit more. Especially with regards to character models. But I suppose redoing the animations, faces or even just the armour meshes would have been way too much work. It's a free upgrade so I'm not complaining, but still some hair/cloth physics would have been nice.

Psion posted:

Right now it's still in a closed beta. With mods coming to consoles, Bethesda probably didn't want people flooding Bethesda.net with a metric fuckton of low effort crap on launchday.
It'll be released next week. Also I don't think I've seen any statement about it, but it'll probably be released via the Bethesda Launcher just like the F4CK.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 28, 2016

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

My FPS in Special Edition is bouncing between 100 and 8.

It is unplayable. Anyone have had this issue?

I'm running a 1070GTX with 372.90 drivers.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

I didn't expect much either, expected skyrim straight ported to FO4 engine, and got exactly that. Though it very clearly lost some texture fidelity in the process. And gained some god awful blur effect that looks like old LCD monitor ghosting replicated in modern form.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

Mikojan posted:

yep!

I'm on a gtx 980 and It's doing the same thing at random moments.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

I didn't expect much either, expected skyrim straight ported to FO4 engine, and got exactly that. Though it very clearly lost some texture fidelity in the process. And gained some god awful blur effect that looks like old LCD monitor ghosting replicated in modern form.

Turn off the TAA antialiasing. The FXAA implimentation is much sharper, even compared to the FXAA used in vanilla Skyrim. You'll get shimmering with the foliage though.

Mikojan posted:

Banjodark posted:

yep!

I'm on a gtx 980 and It's doing the same thing at random moments.
Not your GPUs. The engine is still CPU bound. See https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=465831543#post465829214

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Huh, weird. I'm on a Radeon r9 390 with the drivers from this month on Windows 10 and fraps says it's been a mostly silky smooth 60 fps ride for me. A few dips here and there but not long and for immediately obvious reasons.

I am wondering if I need to adjust the fov, though. It's apparently set to 70.something or other by default like it should be for my 1080p monitor, but maybe I need to bump it up to 80 or 90 or something? I dunno, I'm kinda new to this whole "tweak the gently caress out of the game display settings for pc" thing.

EDIT: Oh right, I'm using a i5 because I derped and thought paying top dollar for a video card was a good idea, but cheaped out on the cpu. :downs:

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
did this wreck everything , can I still just play standard skyrim with all my titty mods ? no that my computer is bad but that I don't want my precious mods to break !

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
Your titty mods are safe in normal skyrim

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Kiggles posted:

Turn off the TAA antialiasing. The FXAA implimentation is much sharper, even compared to the FXAA used in vanilla Skyrim. You'll get shimmering with the foliage though.

Not your GPUs. The engine is still CPU bound. See https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=465831543#post465829214
changing these settings hasn't altered much; after about 30-40 seconds, the random janky sub-ten fps slow-down starts kicking in at random points.

MyCPU is a few years old now, it's an i7-4770, but the game is being super janky on start-up which makes me wonder if there's something else going on. The game won't start in full screen mode properly, I have to tab into it (which causes it crash half the time) and then the intro-video with the Bethesda logo starts going haywire as the game loads up.

tried swapping into modes like borderless/windowed etc and the game just crashes and won't load at all.

maybe I need to do a fresh install of my OS or something, it's been a while.

Banjodark fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 28, 2016

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

OK, I solved my issues after disabling Gsync and enabling Vsync.

Game feels a lot less smooth to play but at least it doesn't become unplayable every 30 seconds.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Oh, Temporal AA is what's been causing that effect? Good to know, now I can disable it in Fallout 4 and The Division because I absolutely hate it.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Mikojan posted:

OK, I solved my issues after disabling Gsync and enabling Vsync.

Game feels a lot less smooth to play but at least it doesn't become unplayable every 30 seconds.

yep, this fixed it. turned off Gsync and all issues went away.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Banjodark posted:

changing these settings hasn't altered much; after about 30-40 seconds, the random janky sub-ten fps slow-down starts kicking in at random points.
Maybe time to hit the insides of your computer with some canned air. Maybe just driver shenanigans, but if it is literally sub 10fps that sounds like hardware throttling from hitting thermal failsafes. ^^^ sounds like that might be it though

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

TescoBag posted:

Do we know if SPERG is going to be updated?

Officially? Probably not.

Unofficially though, I was talking to a goon that plays ESO with me and they said if they have time down the road, porting SPERG over once the SKSE team does their thing might be a project he takes on.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Scyantific posted:

Officially? Probably not.

Unofficially though, I was talking to a goon that plays ESO with me and they said if they have time down the road, porting SPERG over once the SKSE team does their thing might be a project he takes on.

Thats good to hear.

Is there any comparable mod out currently on SE?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Enai said on the modding Reddit that he was going to try and get Ordinator updated for SSE ASAP, and that's a pretty decent perk mod. Trainwiz had said he was able to get it working for himself so I imagine it won't take too long.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Kiggles posted:

set large object view distance, and shadow distance to low.

Further, the vsync is double buffered, so anything short of 60 is going to gently caress your poo poo right down to 30.

Run Rivatuner, add SkyrimSE.exe, and set a Framelimit to 60, Custom Direct3D support: on.

SkyrimPref.ini in my documents/my games/skryim SE

ctrl+f

iVSyncPresentInterval

= 0

That "should" get you running with a frame limit (physics still go bonkers over 60 FPS, but not TOO bonkers), and it will let you drop some frames without completely loving the frame rate to poo poo. Whether you need to adjust any other quality options is another story, but the above distance settings are CPU bound. Depending on your situation they may net you 10fps a pop. On the plus side, Skyrim was designed to obscure as much as possible, so you shouldn't notice either setting being "low".

I'll try this, thanks!

One thing I noticed coming out of Helgen is that there were a bunch of lovely coal-looking rocks everywhere now. Visual Improvement! :v:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Anyone aware if Chesko is working on SSE versions of his survival mods? I'm at the point where that sort of stuff feels like a native feature instead of a mod.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
loving hell I forgot the numpad keys are "reserved". What mod do I have to wait for so I can rebind WASD to 5123?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Scyantific posted:

Anyone aware if Chesko is working on SSE versions of his survival mods? I'm at the point where that sort of stuff feels like a native feature instead of a mod.
He was one of the modders who got early access to get his mods up time for launch.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

gently caress yeah.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Frogfingers posted:

loving hell I forgot the numpad keys are "reserved". What mod do I have to wait for so I can rebind WASD to 5123?

No freaking clue, but excellent post/username combo.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

I think this is the case for sure. I only have a 970, but my CPU is an i7 6700k. I haven't checked my FPS but I've played for about 2 hours and haven't had any noticable issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Frogfingers posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/88/ perhaps?
I think there was an ini tweak you could do for that, though.