Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

gfanikf posted:

Someone posted a link to a puro google drive account, I can't find the thread, can someone repost it?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5rK95X3mRiiSDNvTnQ0aUhWODg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thank you!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I was going to pick the best two or three JR and JB announced NJPW on AXS episodes, to try and get my 4 and a half year old daughter, into wrestling, what would they be?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

According to their schedule, the Shinsuke Nakamura vs AJ Styles match from WK10 is airing tomorrow morning. I'm not sure how much a four year old might appreciate two greats having their last match together before leaving for WWE, but it's still a goodin' - 4 3/4 snowflakes.

http://www.axs.tv/programs/new-japan-pro-wrestling/

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Do her a favour and show her Ishii v Shibata so she's traumatised and never watches wrestling again, she'll thank you for it later in life

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Show her Hansen vs Vader. :pwn:

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

sticklefifer posted:

Show her Hansen vs Vader. :pwn:

I didn't know we had an emote for Vader's eye.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

RacistGuidingLight posted:

I didn't know we had an emote for Vader's eye.

I thought it was Glenn's emote from this week's Walking Dead.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
Two questions:

1) Does the music industry just not care about indy wrestlers using their music? I'm curious why so many indy wrestlers use real songs and don't get nailed for it.

2) With the WWE brand split, does the same technical crew handle both TV shows? Is Kevin Dunn involved in both?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

yourdadsbestfriend posted:

Two questions:

1) Does the music industry just not care about indy wrestlers using their music? I'm curious why so many indy wrestlers use real songs and don't get nailed for it.

2) With the WWE brand split, does the same technical crew handle both TV shows? Is Kevin Dunn involved in both?

I think the answer to 1 is that for most indies, it's simply not worth the effort.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Two questions:

We demand twenty percent of your gross earnings. That's right, four dollars!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

What in the world was going on in TNA in 2010 that resulted in Abyss getting Hulk Hogan's theme and RVD getting some dirty sludge metal track as his theme? That was around the time of the Stairway to Janice fight, right? Shouldn't it have been the other way around?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

JordanKai posted:

What in the world was going on in TNA in 2010

The creative direction of Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff as penned by Vince Russo

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JordanKai posted:

What in the world was going on in TNA in 2010 that resulted in Abyss getting Hulk Hogan's theme and RVD getting some dirty sludge metal track as his theme? That was around the time of the Stairway to Janice fight, right? Shouldn't it have been the other way around?

Is that when Hogan gave Abyss his WWE Hall of Fame ring and the storyline was that it imbued special powers?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

JordanKai posted:

What in the world was going on in TNA

I think I found your answer here

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007

RacistGuidingLight posted:

We demand twenty percent of your gross earnings. That's right, four dollars!

I was thinking less this and more Interscope just sending out a wave of C&Ds, although I guess I wouldn't be surprised if that happens and the indies just ignore them anyway.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

JordanKai posted:

Never forget the worst wrestling theme of all time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZNHPj4LUec

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I have probably a weird question here: How does Yokozuna's WWF title run hold up in hindsight? It made perfect sense at the time -- put the belt on a monster heel and have a babyface chase him to win it -- but seems to have been lost under all the other poo poo going on then.

Maybe I'm projecting a bit, but when I see people talking about early-90s WWF they focus on a few topics -- the steroid trial, Hogan Hoganing all over Mania 9, Luger's failed push, Shawn/Owen/Razor/Bulldog tearing it up in the IC title picture. Yet Yokozuna's title reign always feels like an afterthought. Is there a particular reason for that, other than "we hosed up WM9 and Yoko's just a lame duck champion until Bret wins it at WM10" and he had no credible challengers in the meantime, especially when the Lex Express bombed?

At any rate, Yokozuna owned and I wish he'd get his due with modern-day fans, even if the gimmick was iffy as hell.

Benne fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 27, 2016

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I think the answer to 1 is that for most indies, it's simply not worth the effort.

It also lets us know which ones are the shitters that use Lincoln Park and other lovely bands.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Is that when Hogan gave Abyss his WWE Hall of Fame ring and the storyline was that it imbued special powers?

I looked it up and it seems that is what happened, yes. :eng99:

El Estrago Bonito posted:

This is exactly the theme I was thinking of. It's something alright.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MysticalMachineGun posted:

suddenly this entire video makes perfect sense (in spite of it being stupid as hell)

e: I mean I've still no idea why they have Ric Flair in a fuckin wheelchair but at least part of it makes sense

Venomous fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 27, 2016

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yoko holding onto the belt for a year as a heel is pretty amazing in hindsight. That just never happened

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

At least that one lead to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrD2U2GJDnU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It's a lot of time and money to really pursue a cease and desist effort, and indie wrestling has such a low profile it generally isn't worth the labels' time. Technically, if a bar has a cover band playing or even just plays music on the radio or from an iPod or whatever, they're supposed to pay for an ASCAP license, but almost no one does.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

I have probably a weird question here: How does Yokozuna's WWF title run hold up in hindsight? It made perfect sense at the time -- put the belt on a monster heel and have a babyface chase him to win it -- but seems to have been lost under all the other poo poo going on then.

Maybe I'm projecting a bit, but when I see people talking about early-90s WWF they focus on a few topics -- the steroid trial, Hogan Hoganing all over Mania 9, Luger's failed push, Shawn/Owen/Razor/Bulldog tearing it up in the IC title picture. Yet Yokozuna's title reign always feels like an afterthought. Is there a particular reason for that, other than "we hosed up WM9 and Yoko's just a lame duck champion until Bret wins it at WM10" and he had no credible challengers in the meantime, especially when the Lex Express bombed?

At any rate, Yokozuna owned and I wish he'd get his due with modern-day fans, even if the gimmick was iffy as hell.

Business cratered in 93 and probably reached the point where it was less popular than it had been in the last 65 years so there's a reason it is an afterthought. No one was watching and the product was largely garbage at the time. He had presence but his matches weren't good or really memorable.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
loving hated seeing yoko on my TV. Completely lovely character whose moves looked awful. Terrible.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Yoko's reign was us dodging a major bullet. WWF's choice of top heels back then was probably the all-time worst. Instead of all the top faces going after Yokozuna, we could have had PPV main events based on Lex Luger defending the title against Ludvig Borga or Giant Gonzalez.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

MassRafTer posted:

Business cratered in 93 and probably reached the point where it was less popular than it had been in the last 65 years so there's a reason it is an afterthought. No one was watching and the product was largely garbage at the time. He had presence but his matches weren't good or really memorable.

Yeah, that's probably what I figured. The product was so cold that a heel holding the belt for a full year (which was simply unprecedented in WWF at the time) can get forgotten to history.

Do you guys think Luger could've made it as a top guy in WWF if he didn't have the stupid Lex Express "Next Hogan" push everyone saw through? Wrestling skills aside, he was always super over in NWA/WCW as both face and heel, and had the kind of charisma/presence you'd want out of a star.

Benne fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 28, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Benne posted:

Yeah, that's probably what I figured. The product was so cold that a heel holding the belt for a full year (which was simply unprecedented in WWF at the time) can get forgotten to history.

Do you guys think Luger could've made it as a top guy in WWF if he didn't have the stupid Lex Express "Next Hogan" push everyone saw through? Wrestling skills aside, he was always super over in NWA/WCW as both face and heel, and had the kind of charisma/presence you'd want out of a star.

Luger is a prototype for modern WWE booking.Take a guy who people go gaga over, and wait, and delay, and have him come up short time and time again, and then, just when people have finally given up on him, you push him hard and react with bafflement as to why the crowd isn't buying it. Guess he just wasn't that over, oh well.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Benne posted:

Given that people didn't see through the Lex Express stuff, no, that's not why he wasn't a top guy. He wasn't a top guy because neither WWF nor WCW really committed to him as such.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I liked The Narcissist better.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Can we talk about Earthquake? Wasn't he the greatest? He was SO fast, and he was a good promo, and his finisher was awesome and was kind of a prelude to the stuff you see today (tuning up the band, pounding the mat, getting the crowd worked up). Plus he was a genuinely great guy, and a real sumo wrestler! We don't talk enough about Earthquake, is all I'm saying.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Alan_Shore posted:

Can we talk about Earthquake? Wasn't he the greatest? He was SO fast, and he was a good promo, and his finisher was awesome and was kind of a prelude to the stuff you see today (tuning up the band, pounding the mat, getting the crowd worked up). Plus he was a genuinely great guy, and a real sumo wrestler! We don't talk enough about Earthquake, is all I'm saying.

Earthquake owned. His career kinda peaked with the Hogan feud, but he was definitely one of the better monster heels at the time.

E: Didn't house show numbers spike during the Hogan/Earthquake program, compared to all the other monsters getting fed to him? Brother Tenta was a draw, I think.

Benne fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 28, 2016

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Helped that, for whatever reason, Hogan sold for him on TV more than he had any heel since Andre

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Helped that, for whatever reason, Hogan sold for him on TV more than he had any heel since Andre

IIRC Hogan and Tenta were good friends, so it stands to reason Hogan would want to make his friend look good (plus having your friends near the top with you is never a bad thing).

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

At least we got this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrD2U2GJDnU

Edit; F,B

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

you could see like 90% of earthquake's dilz for most of his wcw run

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That's what I'm talking about, he's great! #Dilz4Days

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I recently watched SummerSlam 1990 and was shocked at how watchable Hogan vs. Earthquake was. It sounds like such a terrible slog on paper. Earthquake rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, Quake was never agile like Bam Bam, but he was surprisingly fast. Must have been all that cardio from bouncing around during all his promos.