Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

I checked myself for corner camping when we started but I was actually really far away from the corner, it's a big map!

Haha didn't mean it as a callout, more of a warning for potential viewers that it's not an action-packed recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Hey to you guys setting up and playing multiplayer matches. I'd be quite interested in playing a game or two sometime. Are you using a specific mod or mods of some kind? What was that talk about "army planner" a few pages back, you set up some specific rules for army composition or something?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
We're using the rules that Captain beans came up with here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779330&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=235#post465394292

I'll play some matches against you for fun if you add me on steam.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mukip posted:

We're using the rules that Captain beans came up with here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779330&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=235#post465394292

I'll play some matches against you for fun if you add me on steam.

Cool. I'm definitely down for that. Not at my home computer at the moment though, but I'll add you later or tomorrow (can't play today anyway, have to prepare for work tomorrow).

e: That's 25% points/funds in each category not 25% of units right?

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 27, 2016

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Yeah it's the points cost.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Beefeater1980 posted:

Did a co-op campaign with a buddy last night, him as Angrund and me as dwarfs. After consolidating our initial provinces, he legged it straight over to K8P and we had two mega battles, one outside the walls and the second to capture it.

As the dwarfs I financed him and brought the artillery. It was immensely satisfying bringing down the Arachnarok inside the Peaks.

I really gotta find someone to co-op with. It always sounds fun, but the people who I know who play the game are only on sporadically.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Just had a pretty satisfying megabattle at Karak Eight Peaks on my Belegar co-op campaign.

I was going through diplomacy and finding that I could randomly vassal a bunch of the small Bretonnia/Empire factions, then hit up the main Dwarfs and they were green to Confederate.

When I confederated them my income promptly dropped to -8.5k because I had the upkeep penalty and the Dwarfs had like 7 stacks, but luckily two of them were in range to hit K8P so I sacked some Greenskin settlements that were in reach of other armies to stay financially afloat and hotfooted it over, then attacked next turn with Thorgrim + Ungrim + some other rando lord I brought in because the odds looked bad, bolstered by whatever RoR I could get. Autoresolve put it at ~30% in my favour, and for artillery I only had 2 grudge throwers, but I ran some miners straight up the middle and knocked the gate down, then blobbed my melee dudes in and lined my ranged up just outside the walls so that they could arc their fire in.

Thorgrim and Ungrim both died to a giant, though Ungrim took it down in the process, which I thought was pretty fitting.

Going from just the 3 regions in Belegar's starting area to a sprawling Dwarf empire inherited from the AI with all the resulting random buildings and armies is quite something!

Two random thoughts:

1. Don't forget that in co-op campaigns you can give your buddy units using the button at the bottom left, so they can control part of your army and have fun rather than just watching.
2. Gate and wall pathing is really, really bad. No matter where I ordered my guys to move, some of them just would not walk through the open gate. They variously either just stood there not moving or started heading way off to the side to climb ladders on the walls. Is there anything you can do to improve on that, or a trick to getting them to go where you want?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I never confederate when I can conquer instead (which is always).

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Nanomashoes posted:

I never confederate when I can conquer instead (which is always).

My favorite challenge mode for Empire is to only confederate the other counts unless they declare war on you. This tends to put me in conflict with either the vampires, bretonnia or border princes in the early game, which is a nice change of pace from my normal "Early-mid game is all unifying The Empire"

It also means that once Chaos shows up, you'll have a near permanent -8 public order from confederation as everyone joins you as soon as the cooldown is up

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ive actually got an interesting situation in my Orc campaign where Wurrzag's clan controls the entire Southern Badlands as a military ally of me, Grimgor's crew, who control the central area and World's Edge mountains. Im wondering if Im ever gonna be able to sell him on Confederation, or if Id best just do it by force when he's out of town Waaaghin! someplace.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
People who play multiplayer on the regular-- when you play the single player do you bother pausing the game at all or are you so used to multiplayer you do everything in real time?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I can't even remember if you can pause in battle realism but I'm guessing no. Multiplayer or not you eventually lose the need to pause.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
drat, gyrocopters are kind of underwhelming.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Ravenfood posted:

If you're leaning on their regular guns and swinging by ranged units. But their bombs can shred low-to-mid tier infantry if you can catch them while they're clumped up.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Kaza42 posted:

My favorite challenge mode for Empire is to only confederate the other counts unless they declare war on you. This tends to put me in conflict with either the vampires, bretonnia or border princes in the early game, which is a nice change of pace from my normal "Early-mid game is all unifying The Empire"

It also means that once Chaos shows up, you'll have a near permanent -8 public order from confederation as everyone joins you as soon as the cooldown is up

This sounds like a great idea for making the Empire campaign fun. The only addition I would make is trying to ensure that the various Empire factions have the right provinces. You're basically being Austria in EU4; waving your imperial authority around and sticking it in peoples' faces when they try to upset the status quo. Do it long enough and when there is a serious external threat you call for reichsreform and consolidate everyone.

Except Marienburg. Those guys are dicks with a valuable port and deserve to be conquered.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Just got my first legendary win, as Dwarves. It was... actually really easy, I don't feel like I really beat legendary at all. This isn't a boast, I think I got really lucky with my allies Barak Varr doing really well and mostly beating the Greenskins for me. Bloody Hand were my main competition for the Badlands, but with Barak Varr keeping Grimgor off my back I was able to grab Mount Gunbad easily while the Dwarf faction to the north also took out the rest of the orcs up there. Border Princes took over Tilea and kept Crooked Moon (who had all the mountains in the western half of the map) off my back until I'd taken over the Badlands and was able to roll over them almost unopposed. Also Chaos killed off the Vampire Counts (who were rank 1 before I took over Badlands) and Empire also did pretty well, dividing up Brettonia with Estalia before they both teamed up with me and did a great job of killing Varg and Skaeling stacks while I dealt with Chaos. Chaos did push into the newly confederated northern World's Edge Mountains and raze a couple of settlements, but their slow movement through the passes gave me plenty of time to muster a couple of high-tier stacks and march them up in underway stance. Turns out even on legendary, Archaon and pals just melt to a line of Ironbreakers and Hammerers stretching across an underway map, with Thunderers and Quarrelers left totally unmolested and able to focus down the big threats with impunity.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 28, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Beefeater1980 posted:

This sounds like a great idea for making the Empire campaign fun. The only addition I would make is trying to ensure that the various Empire factions have the right provinces. You're basically being Austria in EU4; waving your imperial authority around and sticking it in peoples' faces when they try to upset the status quo. Do it long enough and when there is a serious external threat you call for reichsreform and consolidate everyone.

Except Marienburg. Those guys are dicks with a valuable port and deserve to be conquered.

To be fair, the only reason Marienburg stays independent is because both the Empire and Bretonnia want it. There have been occupations of it by both nations, as well as wars to kick the other one out. Currently it's independent mainly because both nations find it better to keep as an independent buffer.

In Total War terms, in the proposed scenario than conquering Marienburg should kick off a war with Bretonnia.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I just abandoned a 40 turn Skarsnik game because of these loving ghost dwarf agents. I mean what the gently caress?

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
I may have to drop from the tournament due to time constraints; NaNoWriMo starts next month and that'll probably eat all of my available time till December.

Thanks again for the games everyone and hopefully I'll be able to get in on the next one!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Well I might be interested in dropping in to play some games as I said. Guess the tournament is full, but like indicated I'm up for some games even though I have a suspicion that I'm not very good and my love of somewhat gimmicky, themed armies might work against me.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Truecon420 posted:

I'm aware of the -50% upkeep penalty, but look at my screenshot, there are two separate penalties listed. Here is the first normal one. If you read the flavor text in my first screenshot it seems like a separate penalty, and it implies that I have already captured it. Why would they list it twice with different flavor text, and why wouldn't it say on the faction select screen that your faction has -5 public order as it does with the -50% upkeep?

Happens to me too. And not just once, but in multiple fresh campaigns, with some or all mods disabled. So it's nothing to do with mods - the Angrund campaign is just hosed. There's a post on the OF complaining about it too, which hasn't received any response since it was posted on the 20th.

Can anyone else start a fresh campaign and not have this bug pop up? (Happens on turn 2 for me. Every time.)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Thanqol posted:

Thanks again for the games everyone and hopefully I'll be able to get in on the next one!

I would like to cede the rest of my matches too. My schedule at work has just not been cooperating and I don't want to keep people waiting.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Sjonnar posted:

Happens to me too. And not just once, but in multiple fresh campaigns, with some or all mods disabled. So it's nothing to do with mods - the Angrund campaign is just hosed. There's a post on the OF complaining about it too, which hasn't received any response since it was posted on the 20th.

Can anyone else start a fresh campaign and not have this bug pop up? (Happens on turn 2 for me. Every time.)

I haven't gotten that bug but I did a complete re-install of the game and it still doesn't recognize when I conquer Eight Peaks as Angrund. I guess next I should try with all the mods disabled, but they're so fun...

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I haven't gotten that bug but I did a complete re-install of the game and it still doesn't recognize when I conquer Eight Peaks as Angrund. I guess next I should try with all the mods disabled, but they're so fun...

It's almost definitely the mods - I've read several people saying that even apparently innocuous ones can cause conflicts here and make that specific feature not work.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

John Charity Spring posted:

It's almost definitely the mods - I've read several people saying that even apparently innocuous ones can cause conflicts here and make that specific feature not work.

Yeah I'm sure it is too, but all of mine are supposedly up-to-date with the DLC and it's all cosmetic stuff like beastmen color variation and no flaming weapons

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah I'm sure it is too, but all of mine are supposedly up-to-date with the DLC and it's all cosmetic stuff like beastmen color variation and no flaming weapons

That's what I mean by innocuous - things that you wouldn't think would interfere with it at all.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

heads up, i went and got a grombrindal dlc code at my local games workshop despite not owning the game yet and it also includes a voucher for 20% off the game. so if anyone who doesn't own the game is lurking this thread and is waiting on a sale, this works too

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Things I do for that Grombrindal key....

I haven't set foot into a Games Workshop store in over 10 years. I expected the cozy embrace of social awkwardness and the smell of nerd sweat. Instead my out of shape, generation X-er body was bathed in the cold, hard neon light of the 2000s, while the fit and sharply dressed millennial shop clerks scrutinized my every step.

This new world scares and confuses me. I feel old now.....

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 28, 2016

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

So... it just struck me that Bolt Throwers aren't anti-large per se, but rather anti-cavalry. They do an enormous amount of damage to blocks of cavalry because of their AP damage and model penetration. So Cannons are still the Dwarfen anti-monster solution, but you can also bring cheap Bolt Throwers to punish your enemy for bringing, say, Chaos Knights or Grail Knights. Makes sense to me, but I'm no expert on this stuff :shrug:

Also a note about Grombrindal: his MP cost is even higher than Belegar so you're really really shelling out money for that power. I get the feeling he's not going to have much of a place in competitive Dwarf builds.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Is there any Dwarf counter to Nasty Skulkers or Squig Herds vs. the Greenskins?

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Olive Branch posted:

Is there any Dwarf counter to Nasty Skulkers or Squig Herds vs. the Greenskins?

The answer to almost every dwarfen problem is the same: more crossbows.

On the DLC bug front, I've had a couple weird ones in addition to what people have already mentioned.

Skarsnik doesn't seem to get the full benefit of level 2 Guard towers. I've had several battles where there should be multiple units of trolls present but only one shows up. I've also had a walled settlement go to a field battle as soon as the enemy attacks, no siege needed.

The other weird one is Belegar's entire army getting vanguard deployment when I intercept in the underway, and for a few turns after.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I've had a specific Dwarven lord (not Belegar) that's been getting vanguard deployment in the underway and I really haven't been able to figure out how.

As I'm thinking about this a little bit I did get him from confederating another Dwarfen hold so he has some random skills- Does the underway interception skill give vanguard deployment these days?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Pendent posted:

I've had a specific Dwarven lord (not Belegar) that's been getting vanguard deployment in the underway and I really haven't been able to figure out how.

As I'm thinking about this a little bit I did get him from confederating another Dwarfen hold so he has some random skills- Does the underway interception skill give vanguard deployment these days?

Like his whole army? Rangers and miners have it to begin with, and there are runes you can get to give specific units vanguard deployment.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Pendent posted:

Yeah, some of my dwarf lords got that too. My Belegar has it, so does Thorgrim, but not everyone. Haven't figured it out either

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Check their traits, they may have gotten one that gives it.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Sjonnar posted:

Ah, word, glad I'm not the only one. I actually enjoyed it somewhat, I just captured k8p around turn 45 and lost the penalty. It was definitely really harsh early game on Very Hard but it forced me to be aggressive which was a real challenge. Captured the starting holds confederated once or twice with the surrounding provinces then sent a large stack and ambushed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Gyrocopters with brimstone guns are great at taking out stuff like Cygors and Giants.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway imo current multiplayer balance power rankings is

1) Greenskins
2) Empire
3) Vampire Counts
4) Chaos
5) Dwarves
6) Brettonia
7) Beastmen

thoughts/opinions?

dwarves got some cool stuff but it didn't really help any of their big problems. Greenskins meanwhile got broken poo poo like sundering armor and the krimzon killas. chaos got a lot better just from aspiring champs and manticores. brettonia and beastmen are really underpowered without regiments.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

ubercrunchy posted:

The answer to almost every dwarfen problem is the same: more crossbows.

On the DLC bug front, I've had a couple weird ones in addition to what people have already mentioned.

Skarsnik doesn't seem to get the full benefit of level 2 Guard towers. I've had several battles where there should be multiple units of trolls present but only one shows up. I've also had a walled settlement go to a field battle as soon as the enemy attacks, no siege needed.

The other weird one is Belegar's entire army getting vanguard deployment when I intercept in the underway, and for a few turns after.

the skarsnik thing is not a bug. he gets different garrison troops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Just did some MP battles against Mukip and my suspicions of my own skills are confirmed. Though I did manage a single win as VC in a chaotic mess of a battle vs. Greenskins. Otherwise I have a bad habit (that needs fixing) for making armies based around some gimmick formation that looks pretty but has far too weak of an infantry line to be able to stand up for long.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 28, 2016

• Locked thread