Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I find their commitment is more to the tune of not having 20 million brainwashed (By which I mean brainwashed by somebody other than the CPC) starving and uneducated peasants suddenly trying to shove into Liaoning Province.

I mean, it's China, they'd shoot them dead in the Yalu river if they thought no-one was watching, but it's still less preferable than the current stasis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I find it increasingly hard to understand China's commitment to NK. Whilst the two reasons they give for backing the regime still make sense (not wanting a US ally/troops on their border + masses of refugees and instability) in the worst-case scenario (nuclear war on the peninsula) and the second worst (conventional) both the US regional presence and the instability will be 1000x worse than a 'peaceful' collapse of NK. Obviously NK is a large part of what drives SK to the US orbit and even now SK is way more important to China economically and culturally than NK.

Basically if I were Xi Jinping right now I would be thinking it's time to cut my losses and accept that potentially having US tanks on my border is less dangerous than having 'allies' across the border who set off nuclear weapons, but maybe I underestimate Chinese paranoia or American perfidy.

The US itself has a long history of supporting unstable/unreliable regimes known for major human rights violations, for purely geopolitical reasons. I don't think continued Chinese support in this case is that strange. It's all about maintaining spheres of influence.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Phlegmish posted:

The US itself has a long history of supporting unstable/unreliable regimes known for major human rights violations, for purely geopolitical reasons. I don't think continued Chinese support in this case is that strange. It's all about maintaining spheres of influence.

North Korea LITERALLY borders China - for all that China is supporting assholes, they'd rather have a quasi-functional North Korean state than a failed-state disaster on a border they ALREADY have to police the hell out of.

Edit: MMG covered it, I suppose. I disagree with him that anything meaningful has changed lately.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, I think it needs to be said at this point, a full conventional war is a very remote to non-existent possibility at this point. North Korea knows its conventional military can't launch an offensive, and the US and South Korea weren't interested in invading NK in the first place. A now semi-capable NK nuclear program moves the entire issue from remote to pretty much near impossible. Also a "random" NK launch in all likelihood isn't very likely, Kim and his generals know the repercussions.

If anything China seems to have quietly allowed the North Korean program to continue because it is useful to them. First, they know the regime isn't going to switch sides and is economically reliant on them. Second, a capable nuclear program (as stated above) makes a conventional invasion of North Korea itself is impossible. North Korea needs to defend itself (I say this in only a geopolitical sense) to be useful for them.

Remember China is an authoritarian expansionist power in its own right, and North Korea pins down South Korean and American forces and resources.

(China and the US are slowly but surely coming to ahead over the issue of the South China Seas and we may see a 1900-style naval race.)

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 21, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
A lot of posters itt seem to think that Kim/the generals would like nothing more than to push the button or sell it off to people who would, regardless of how dumb that is.

In my view, neither nuclear or conventional confrontation will happen, both NK and the international community has more to gain by pretending it will.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
At my neighborhoods' last gathering of middle age white men to watch the Big Football Game, it was Widely Agreed that North Korea was a grave threat, and that if we didn't pre-emptively Take Them Out Now, it was only A Matter Of Time before that Crazy Guy wiped out New York, LA, and Topeka with a surprise attack. I tried to explain the tenuous nature of NK's nuclear capabilities, and the risk to SK civilians near the border if the West were to launch an attack, and the fact that nobody wants to deal with millions of impoverished NK refugees. But my companions were not persuaded. What is the best argument against making a strike against NK nuclear facilities and ballistic-missile-related sites? Even I'm getting tired of NK's poo poo.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Bush Jr tried that around 2003.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Number_6 posted:

At my neighborhoods' last gathering of middle age white men to watch the Big Football Game, it was Widely Agreed that North Korea was a grave threat, and that if we didn't pre-emptively Take Them Out Now, it was only A Matter Of Time before that Crazy Guy wiped out New York, LA, and Topeka with a surprise attack. I tried to explain the tenuous nature of NK's nuclear capabilities, and the risk to SK civilians near the border if the West were to launch an attack, and the fact that nobody wants to deal with millions of impoverished NK refugees. But my companions were not persuaded. What is the best argument against making a strike against NK nuclear facilities and ballistic-missile-related sites? Even I'm getting tired of NK's poo poo.

It's hard, the west is tired of war, we place Japan and SK at relatively great risk compared to the status quo( their nukes are lovely+they're not going to use them).

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
North Korea has just tested a large and powerful new rocket engine. Probably not intended for their ICBM programme - actually too powerful for those, but maybe a new space launch vehicle. Perhaps for their intended moonshot. (Yes, North Korea plans to land..something on the moon in the next ten years)

http://38north.org/2016/09/jschilling092116/

quote:

Regardless, we can tell that the engine is substantially larger and more powerful than anything North Korea has tested before, even than the new ICBM engine tested in April, and the thrust may well be in the range of 160,000 pounds or 80,000 kilograms force.

And, while this particular engine may not be slated for an ICBM, we have now seen that North Korea can build large rockets using both solid and high-energy liquid propellants, to their own requirements. Whatever missiles North Korea may roll out in coming years, we can no longer expect to be limited to what can be cobbled together from old Russian cold-war leftovers.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Number_6 posted:

It sounds like a great way to stir up a whole pile of potential trouble in East Asia, pissing off China and increasing defense demands from Japan and South Korea, in exchange for maybe delaying North Korea's program for a couple of years and tripling the amount of funding, effort, and Chinese support going toward North Korean nukes. Limited airstrikes are a fever dream that are unlikely to have a meaningful positive impact, while having serious diplomatic consequences and completely vindicating the North Korean rhetoric.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Number_6 posted:

I mean the big one is that any hot war action there is going to plunge the world into an immediate recession, so nobody wants to do that.

Technically a lot of NKs nuclear development sites are waaaay underground under very very hard rock. They are very good at putting things under ground and it's the one thing they get contracted out to do in other countries besides guns, drugs, and cheap labor.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

mediadave posted:

North Korea has just tested a large and powerful new rocket engine. Probably not intended for their ICBM programme - actually too powerful for those, but maybe a new space launch vehicle. Perhaps for their intended moonshot. (Yes, North Korea plans to land..something on the moon in the next ten years)

We can't let the Juche take over the Moon or Mars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6BaujmeF_4

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

WarpedNaba posted:

I find their commitment is more to the tune of not having 20 million brainwashed (By which I mean brainwashed by somebody other than the CPC) starving and uneducated peasants suddenly trying to shove into Liaoning Province.

I mean, it's China, they'd shoot them dead in the Yalu river if they thought no-one was watching, but it's still less preferable than the current stasis.

They'd shoot the men and marry the women.

Uncle Jam posted:

Technically a lot of NKs nuclear development sites are waaaay underground under very very hard rock. They are very good at putting things under ground and it's the one thing they get contracted out to do in other countries besides guns, drugs, and cheap labor.

This is why Obama decided against a no first use policy, and why he supports developing new warheads and delivery systems. Nuclear bunker busters would be the only way to get at these sites.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

mediadave posted:

Betting they're going to build a mega-rocket and launch that unfinished hotel to the moon. Truly, a shining representation of the Juche ideal!

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Number_6 posted:

What is the best argument against making a strike against NK nuclear facilities and ballistic-missile-related sites? Even I'm getting tired of NK's poo poo.

You covered all the simple arguments. If you are looking for another one with that gang, let them know the military recently used up all the career and young recruits, for some reason. So we are going to have to draft

Number_6 posted:

middle age white men

for the first wave of shock troops into that loving hellhole, and good luck to them.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Why does a overly larger rocket motor imply that the intention isn't for lobbing nukes? Wouldn't it mean you could build the rocket and the warhead to looser tolerances and be more reliable?

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

The larger and more complex you make your rocket, the MORE unreliable it gets unless its designed to lower tolerances, and therefore a greatly increased cost. A large rocket motor also implies that if they were to use it to carry a nuclear payload the device would be deployed into orbit, contravening the Outer Space Treaty's ban on putting weapons into orbit. This would allow theoretically allow them to put a nuke anywhere in the world, but North Korea is a party to the OST, so it'd be a huge kerfuffle.

Jaramin fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 24, 2016

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Unsurprisingly, North Korean residents don't care about the Nuke tests.
https://www.asiapress.org/rimjin-gang/report/nk-korea-flood-damage-nuclear-test/

Also, the authorities are trying to charge 50yuan per household to repair flood damage.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Something's fishy at the Blue House...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/28/world/asia/south-korea-choi-soon-sil.html

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The government is melting down like you wouldn't believe. The country has basically been ruled for the past four years by President Park's friend who sunk her claws into her 30 years ago by convincing her that she could channel the spirit of her dead mother. Nancy Reagen, eat your heart out, this poo poo is crazy!

The country is going nuts over this. The media is throwing around accusations that this cult leader was basically running Park’s flagship culture program and in charge of hundreds of millions in spending, and that's the tip of the iceberg. She's apparently had access to all classified documents.

These rumors were always there since the 80s but no one believed. It's like America waking up to find out that Obama really was a secret Muslim all along, or the Labour party discovering that Harold Wilson really was a Soviet spy.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Canada was secretly advised by a Ouija board during World War 2, so I'd say going the Rasputin route at least has a real person involved feeding you bullshit advice.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Charlz Guybon posted:

The government is melting down like you wouldn't believe. The country has basically been ruled for the past four years by President Park's friend who sunk her claws into her 30 years ago by convincing her that she could channel the spirit of her dead mother. Nancy Reagen, eat your heart out, this poo poo is crazy!

The country is going nuts over this. The media is throwing around accusations that this cult leader was basically running Park’s flagship culture program and in charge of hundreds of millions in spending, and that's the tip of the iceberg. She's apparently had access to all classified documents.

These rumors were always there since the 80s but no one believed. It's like America waking up to find out that Obama really was a secret Muslim all along, or the Labour party discovering that Harold Wilson really was a Soviet spy.

the only thing I'm going off of is reddit right now and they are saying this is huger than watergate

I only have a vague inkling of how SK politics work, were there any particular decisions besides being cozy with businesses that this lead to?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

the only thing I'm going off of is reddit right now and they are saying this is huger than watergate

I only have a vague inkling of how SK politics work, were there any particular decisions besides being cozy with businesses that this lead to?

Apparently she was backseating the presidency in literally every aspect. There's video of her ordering around presidential aides, this is nuts.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
This seems pretty crazy, I'm surprised the BBC headline just talks about pressure on the president to quit rather than the ridiculous (alleged) occult conspiracy poo poo causing said pressure in the first place.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.

Insurrectionist posted:

This seems pretty crazy, I'm surprised the BBC headline just talks about pressure on the president to quit rather than the ridiculous (alleged) occult conspiracy poo poo causing said pressure in the first place.

Is it ridiculous? Asking in earnest.

The NY Times Article says: "In a 2007 diplomatic cable made public through WikiLeaks, the American Embassy in Seoul reported rumors that Mr. Choi “had complete control over Park’s body and soul during her formative years and that his children accumulated enormous wealth as a result.”

I mean, that's a bona-fide cult leader with (apparently?) a huge amount of influence on the president of a country.

edit: Man, Korea seems to have some big problems with cults. The Sewol ferry sinking where hundreds of children died was also linked to a cult leader.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bluedeanie posted:

Canada was secretly advised by a Ouija board during World War 2, so I'd say going the Rasputin route at least has a real person involved feeding you bullshit advice.

Nah, a mystical process that is mostly confirmation bias towards what you were going to do anyway is definitely better than being manipulated by a corrupt lunatic with their own selfish motives.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ceramic Shot posted:

Is it ridiculous? Asking in earnest.

The NY Times Article says: "In a 2007 diplomatic cable made public through WikiLeaks, the American Embassy in Seoul reported rumors that Mr. Choi “had complete control over Park’s body and soul during her formative years and that his children accumulated enormous wealth as a result.”

I mean, that's a bona-fide cult leader with (apparently?) a huge amount of influence on the president of a country.

edit: Man, Korea seems to have some big problems with cults. The Sewol ferry sinking where hundreds of children died was also linked to a cult leader.
Is the cult problem in South Korea linked to it's large Catholic minority? Or from traditional folk religions? Or neither?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Charlz Guybon posted:

So what happens now? I assume both there asses are grass.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Why would it be the Catholic minority instead of the much larger chunk of Protestants there are there? But no, I doubt it's that (other than that Christianity becoming so rapidly dominant in Korea is symptomatic of the same thing), it's just that Koreans eat up cults like crazy for some reason.

Also you can't really blame Sewol on some cult-conspiracy, it was just blind greed and incompetence. The cult stuff was just a coincidence.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.

Grouchio posted:

Is the cult problem in South Korea linked to it's large Catholic minority? Or from traditional folk religions? Or neither?

Choi Soon-sil, the sort of alleged evil vizier in question, is the daughter of this dude, a deceased former cult leader claiming to be the future Buddha --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choi_Tae-min

With half a dozen marriages and at least as many aliases, you can sort of bet the guy was a ruthless charismatic fuckhead. Soon-sil's daughter was also in Olympic dressage (lol go figure).

I lived and worked in Korea for several years but I can only conjecture as to what the reason for powerful cults is. I'd venture that the Confucian hierarchical stuff has something to do with it. I think Korea is also classified as a high "power distance" country, meaning they're more accepting of power differences and authority figures. The US and UK are low power distance countries but obviously there are cults there too; but I still would guess there might be a connection there.

Man, what a wave of vindication conspiracy theorists and paranoids must be having!

edit: Also sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the connection between Sewol and the cult leader was causal, just that it was a thing. He also died under somewhat shady circumstances as I recall.

Ceramic Shot fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 29, 2016

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Seems like a similar scenario to bubble-era Japan (late 80s) when cults like Aum Shinrikyo were all the rage. Country achieves relative economical stability, becomes "first world", lots of upper-middle class people seeking for some spiritual purpose in the middle of material richness or some crap like that.

We all know how it ends up, don't we?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Halloween Jack posted:

being manipulated by a corrupt lunatic with their own selfish motives.

The important thing is: can Boney M make a catchy song about it?

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I heard about this last night from my friend but then he added on international conspiracy stuff like how Choi is a member of a secret group of 8 who are all controlling puppet governments in and around Asia and then George Soros is involved etc :psyduck:

Story is crazy enough as it is from that NYT article.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Negrostrike posted:

Seems like a similar scenario to bubble-era Japan (late 80s) when cults like Aum Shinrikyo were all the rage. Country achieves relative economical stability, becomes "first world", lots of upper-middle class people seeking for some spiritual purpose in the middle of material richness or some crap like that.

Harumageddon is happening now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tir McDohl posted:

I heard about this last night from my friend but then he added on international conspiracy stuff like how Choi is a member of a secret group of 8 who are all controlling puppet governments in and around Asia and then George Soros is involved etc :psyduck:

Story is crazy enough as it is from that NYT article.

thats the amusing thing about how conspiracy stuff. I can totally believe the poo poo about Choi being the power behind the throne and having a ton of bullshit pull in government and is using it to her cults advantage. but conspiracy people have to believe everything is grand overarching narrative like its an anime or airport fiction. everyone wants their own pet conspiracy lumped in with it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Negrostrike posted:

Sarin in the Subways?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

drat now I need to get a good book on South Korea's religious clusterfuck...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Looking at this, it makes a bit more sense why North Korea is basically, "no, you guys aren't allowed to have religions, this can't end well."

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Grouchio posted:

drat now I need to get a good book on South Korea's religious clusterfuck...

The little I know about South Korean religious beliefs is that they are syncretic: you have someone who goes to (protestant) church every sunday, but will also hire a traditional shaman to advise them on the most auspicious day to start a new business venture. I think you'll also go to a shaman to ask what you should name your kid, and then they'll give you a shortlist of suitably fortunate names for you to pick from; just the kind of religious practices that advise you to do things in your life in a particular way for them to go well. I don't know how joining honest-to-god cults comes into the mix, but in Korean culture it's certainly plausible to me that a spiritual advisor could hold a lot of influence over a politician's actions, especially if they've been friends for years too. Kinda nuts that it was the president though!

If you want to get an introduction to contemporary South Korea (including its religious communities and practices) I recommend Korea: The Impossible Country by Daniel Tudor. It goes through the history of the country and then just takes a look at all the different parts of South Korean culture and society. It's a good read.

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

PT6A posted:

Looking at this, it makes a bit more sense why North Korea is basically, "no, you guys aren't allowed to have religions, this can't end well."

Certainly wouldn't want people blindly following a cult of personality who's actually just some fat gently caress getting fat off the land and not having actual solutions