Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
it (they?) look gorgeous though :( Bali, then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

loving hell, David. You want your parents to watch you die, don't you?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

lemonadesweetheart posted:

You fucks are going to elect Trump too aren't you.

i had the same thought

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mr. Fry, I felt sorry for you once.

Please occupy another building and get shot for it, tia

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
suicidal crazy man still suicidal + crazy, news at 11

red19fire
May 26, 2010

So the lesson to sovcits isn't that they need to cast magical legal spells in court. Anything you're accused of, just represent yourself and spend 2 days testifying that you're a hardworking family man, just a god fearing man trying to ranch in peace. Your testimony should sound like a Wrangler Jeans commercial and you will walk on all charges.

VikingSkull posted:

Mr. Fry, I felt sorry for you once.

Please occupy another building and get shot for it, tia

Yeah he burned all his good will from being a nice kid who got mixed up in a bad crowd.

E: VV Ugh those facebook comments.

red19fire has issued a correction as of 11:23 on Oct 28, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Here's a Facebook video of Fry getting released

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

red19fire posted:

So the lesson to sovcits isn't that they need to cast magical legal spells in court. Anything you're accused of, just represent yourself and spend 2 days testifying that you're a hardworking family man, just a god fearing man trying to ranch in peace. Your testimony should sound like a Wrangler Jeans commercial and you will walk on all charges.

Yeah he burned all his good will from being a nice kid who got mixed up in a bad crowd.

i mean, i get hating the rest of them with the intensity of a thousand suns, but why would Fry continuing to have mental issues he needs help with make you lose pity for him? as far as i'm aware, he has not received any of the psychiatric care he needs and this jury just validated his warped world view so why wouldn't he continue taking the same actions as before?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Condiv posted:

i mean, i get hating the rest of them with the intensity of a thousand suns, but why would Fry continuing to have mental issues he needs help with make you lose pity for him? as far as i'm aware, he has not received any of the psychiatric care he needs and this jury just validated his warped world view so why wouldn't he continue taking the same actions as before?

Personally, my brother is schizophrenic. My family has spent over two decades trying to help him. Thanks to Reagan, this is impossible to do once they turn 18. A mentally ill person has just as much agency as you or I. There is no way to force them to get help, and if they are the type with a propensity to violence and conflict, eventually they will hurt themselves or others. There is no way any politician in this country will argue to reinstate forced mental health treatment the way we used to (which is probably a good thing in some ways, due to abuses that used to happen) so what we're left with is deranged people walking the streets.

If it comes down to Fry getting waxed to save a Federal agent I'll pick Fry every time. It sucks that it's this way, but lol that's America.

You tend to lose sympathy after the third or fourth time someone comes at you with a knife.

I'd rather he gets the help he deserves, but that can't happen without his consent.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

VikingSkull posted:

Personally, my brother is schizophrenic. My family has spent over two decades trying to help him. Thanks to Reagan, this is impossible to do once they turn 18. A mentally ill person has just as much agency as you or I. There is no way to force them to get help, and if they are the type with a propensity to violence and conflict, eventually they will hurt themselves or others. There is no way any politician in this country will argue to reinstate forced mental health treatment the way we used to (which is probably a good thing in some ways, due to abuses that used to happen) so what we're left with is deranged people walking the streets.

If it comes down to Fry getting waxed to save a Federal agent I'll pick Fry every time. It sucks that it's this way, but lol that's America.

You tend to lose sympathy after the third or fourth time someone comes at you with a knife.

I'd rather he gets the help he deserves, but that can't happen without his consent.

ditto for my aunt and bipolar disorder. she eventually died from O/D on cocaine with everyone (including her son) hating her. i just don't get why all sympathy has flown out the window for Fry so quickly. of course he's making the same mistakes he was before, he's still just as unwell as before. anyway, hopefully since only lavoy liked him in the initial group, he won't be as able to access future groups.

Condiv has issued a correction as of 11:32 on Oct 28, 2016

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Condiv posted:

This makes it seem like it was all an act, and he can get hosed with the rest of them.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

red19fire posted:

This makes it seem like it was all an act, and he can get hosed with the rest of them.

:confused: i haven't been following closely since they got arrested, did Fry put on some kind of act?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Condiv posted:

ditto for my aunt and bipolar disorder. she eventually died from O/D on cocaine with everyone (including her son) hating her. i just don't get why all sympathy has flown out the window for Fry so quickly. of course he's making the same mistakes he was before, he's still just as unwell as before. anyway, hopefully since only lavoy liked him in the initial group, he won't be as able to access future groups.

I can't speak for everyone, just myself. Fry, to me, is a direct parallel to my brother. Crazy as a shithouse rat, clouds lift while he's in custody and getting help, then he's released and the crazy comes back. To me, I know Fry will just do this again, he can't help it. Like I said, I'd rather he gets help, but deep down I know he won't, and he's already shown he will take up arms while crazy again.

I'm pretty clearly biased on this issue, though, so my opinion shouldn't be really taken seriously. He needs help badly :(

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I l listened to the final four live. I was having anxiety on Fry's behalf. I predicated a lot of that on him being caught up in events beyond his understanding and control. I didn't really see him as one of the yeehawdists. More a poor judge of character and an idiot.

Now he's rejecting introspection and embracing the fuckery. He may still be mentally ill, but now it's his deliberate decision.

Will he be the most sympathetic member of vanilla ISIS? Probably, but that's not a high bar.

He's a oval office on purpose now, is what I'm saying.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

VikingSkull posted:

I'm pretty clearly biased on this issue

Mods, can a poster who openly states he is biased be considered an impartial participant in this thread?

<3 juror #4

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Metrofreak posted:

I l listened to the final four live. I was having anxiety on Fry's behalf. I predicated a lot of that on him being caught up in events beyond his understanding and control. I didn't really see him as one of the yeehawdists. More a poor judge of character and an idiot.

Now he's rejecting introspection and embracing the fuckery. He may still be mentally ill, but now it's his deliberate decision.

Will he be the most sympathetic member of vanilla ISIS? Probably, but that's not a high bar.

He's a oval office on purpose now, is what I'm saying.

a deliberate decision formed by the warped reasoning of an unwell mind doesn't count for much though. he needs therapy and medication to actually reach the conclusions you want him to

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Condiv posted:

:confused: i haven't been following closely since they got arrested, did Fry put on some kind of act?

His entire defense was based around being mentally unwell and barely tied to the movement, he was kind of an outsider who had a tenuous connection to TarpMan and just showed up one day. They played it up hard in the trial: testimony from mental health experts, as well as the tapes of the final hours of the occupation where he told the FBI agents he knew they were there to assassinate him, threatening suicide, and so forth.

Then he gets acquitted and:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

red19fire posted:

His entire defense was based around being mentally unwell. They played it up hard in the trial: testimony from mental health experts, as well as the tapes of the final hours of the occupation where he told the FBI agents he knew they were there to assassinate him, threatening suicide, and so forth.

Then he gets acquitted and:

none of this is inconsistent with the behavior of a mentally unwell person though? of course his defense is going to involve his mental health, the literal job of his attorneys are to try to get him as beneficial a verdict as legally possible. and the drugs for schizophrenics are really harsh so they tend to avoid them like the plague.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A sane person would see that they dodged a bullet and stay far away from the idiots that talked them into armed insurrection in the first place.

Fry isn’t sane.

It’s almost as though he’s been locked up for months without getting the professional help he needs.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 12:13 on Oct 28, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GSD posted:

oregon deserves death

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Platystemon posted:

A sane person would see that they dodged a bullet and stay far away from the idiots that talked them into armed insurrection in the first place.

Fry isn’t sane.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Mods, can a poster who openly states he is biased be considered an impartial participant in this thread?

<3 juror #4

I am not a boat

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
dispatching the black helicopters

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
David Fry is like what would happen if Caro never created joinder with GiP

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Platystemon posted:

Fry isn’t sane.

It’s almost as though he’s been locked up for months without getting the professional help he needs.

this. thing is most of them arnt "sane" they are either big dumb man babies who now have a chip on their sholder and will do it again(if nevada doesnt get them first) or they are mentally ill like fry, who will definatly do it again. speaking of nevada, i assume the bundys are in that trial as well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Bundys are dense but have otherwise mostly functional brains. It’s just that they have an incorrect understanding of reality.

And the jury just reinforced that misunderstanding.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
And now instead of being ecstatic for them to get hosed in Nevada, we're all grousing and grumbling with a glass of alcohol in our hand and a heart full of betrayal and distrust, more-than-half-expecting them to get acquitted there, too, because gently caress Justice That's Why.

The magic is gone.

Malachite_Dragon has issued a correction as of 12:54 on Oct 28, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Malachite_Dragon posted:

And now instead of being ecstatic for them to get hosed in Nevada, we're all grousing and grumbling with a glass of alcohol in our hand and a heart full of betrayal and distrust.

The magic is gone.

:smith::respek::smith:

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Condiv posted:

a deliberate decision formed by the warped reasoning of an unwell mind doesn't count for much though. he needs therapy and medication to actually reach the conclusions you want him to

And he's never going to get that now. Is it sad? Absolutely, but watching an alcoholic fall off the wagon is tragic the first time. By the sixth time you're not surprised any more.

I'm still gonna have some sympathy. I was being kinda hyperbolic, but if his parents aren't going to help him, no one's gonna reach him. He's going to keep loving up and I'm going to find a floor of my David Fry Sympathy.

The tweet just says he wants to hit that floor as fast as possible. I'd like to skip straight there, but I know I won't.

And yeah, he's sick and his decision making is warped. That's not going to stop him from digging his hole.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This might be the most dangerous precedent a jury has set in the 21st century.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

This might be the most dangerous precedent a jury has set in the 21st century.

Juries don't set precedents guys.

I mean it sends a big dumb message to other idiots but nothing legal has changed here.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Boner Zone posted:

they're just going to immediately do this again, but will have even more human shields women and children present and the feds will be more inclined to not be as kid gloved with the militia this go around and we'll have another OKC before we know it :xd:

tree

liberty

soiled

blood

patriots

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
the OKC bombing made right wing militias go away for 20 years, so bring on the sequel

ate all the Oreos posted:

I mean it sends a big dumb message to other idiots but nothing legal has changed here.

it's not going to stop sovcits from trying to cite it in court and it's probably going to be used by at least a few juries to rationalize nullification

it's precedent for idiots and idiots were the ones who made the calls on this case

esp. the prosecution for picking this loving jury

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 13:46 on Oct 28, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
AAAAAAAAAH the whole Republic is doomed if only they had punished some mostly mentally ill people more harshly we could have been saved from the deluge of trespass on federal land we're about to see *hyperventilates*

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ate all the Oreos posted:

You're mixing up specific legal terms with the other definition of "precedent".

Sure, this technically didn't change any legal precedents and there's a possibility that someone repeating the Malheur Occupation elsewhere could find themselves actually getting convicted. But the "not guilty" verdict sends a message that all of this is okay. It's emboldened a lot of angry people to think that they're perfectly fine to occupy federal land, established barricades and armed guards, threaten to shoot anyone who comes to them, and wreck the poo poo out of the place and not get thrown into prison.

The absolute only hope we have is that the defendants somehow get hauled back into court and slammed on things like property destruction or any illegal firearm ownership charges. If these hicks face no consequences or just a slap on the wrist, a lot of people are going to think they can do the same.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

jBrereton posted:

AAAAAAAAAH the whole Republic is doomed if only they had punished some mostly mentally ill people more harshly we could have been saved from the deluge of trespass on federal land we're about to see *hyperventilates*

gently caress off, that's not what this is about. The light treatment of the occupiers, from start to finish, ultimately resulted in a sympathetic row of unconvictable felons. Meanwhile, leftist protesters end up in jail for months. People who defend themselves against conservatives could get twenty years in prison, even if the conservative is a known, unrepentant murderer who has made his rent over the last two years travelling the country and bragging about it. This is America. If you are liberal, you go to jail, you get beaten, you die. If you're conservative, you get free press conferences for a month, a six month stay in a comfortable prison with internet access, and then a release to an adoring public and a mandate for your insane beliefs. Don't downplay this. It matters.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Mirthless posted:

gently caress off, that's not what this is about. The light treatment of the occupiers, from start to finish, ultimately resulted in a sympathetic row of unconvictable felons. Meanwhile, leftist protesters end up in jail for months. People who defend themselves against conservatives could get twenty years in prison, even if the conservative is a known, unrepentant murderer who has made his rent over the last two years travelling the country and bragging about it. This is America. If you are liberal, you go to jail, you get beaten, you die. If you're conservative, you get free press conferences for a month, a six month stay in a comfortable prison with internet access, and then a release to an adoring public and a mandate for your insane beliefs. Don't downplay this. It matters.
The guy who tried to flim flam the zim zam wasn't trying to defend himself lol it was road rage

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.
Got to say, as a UK goon who followed the Malheur occupation religiously, I'm horrified and genuinely angry at the verdict here. This is essentially a theoretical faraway event for me, though - I can't begin to imagine how people in the US feel, but you all have my sympathy and internet goonhugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

How much you want to bet this encourages the "armed insurrection" Trump people if/when he loses?