Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Banana Man posted:

Still getting used to the game, how do I use for Japan for the best effect? I'm not quite sure how the adjacency bonus works for them

Normally, districts gain +1 output for every 2 other districts next to them. Japan gets +1 for every adjacent district (possibly stacking with the normal bonus, the wording suggests it does but I haven't checked) so they're encouraged to make super build up cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

snoremac posted:

On lowest settings the areas outside your field of view look so ugly. Everything's brown and it's not easy to identify the terrain without hovering the cursor over it to read the details.

I really like the maps for the areas you haven't explored with the fish and the dragons and all but yeah, idk why they would think a brown morass is something to add.

Also Germany is op as gently caress holy poo poo.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
This game has the Worst Hills. It's incredibly hard to tell hills from plains, and if something's on the hill like a resource, good luck.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

cheetah7071 posted:

Who cares if the AI denounces you? It's not like they'll do anything but hate you even without a warmonger penalty, and even the weird ones who like you won't give you anything useful.

Yeah the AI civs have enough trouble getting anything done even when they luck out and manage to drop an invasion force right on top of your city. Threats and warnings are about 10 steps removed from any real danger.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Is there a way to mess with the config files and create custom hotkeys? During periods where nothing is going on, I like to turn on auto end turn. However, there's no way to turn it off besides going back into the system menu and flipping the toggle. You can't tell units to wake up when it's not your turn, or do anything else that might pause the auto end. Unfortunately the game itself doesn't pause when you're in the system menu, so if someone declares war on you and you want to turn off auto end, you may actually miss an additional turn while you're opening up the menu to turn this feature off. It'd be nice if I could set up a hotkey to toggle it rather than having to go through a four step process every time I want to turn it on and off.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I don't like how they changed movement so that you need two movement points to go uphill/forest/etc., rather than being able to spend the second point to do it.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

snoremac posted:

I don't like how they changed movement so that you need two movement points to go uphill/forest/etc., rather than being able to spend the second point to do it.

Yeah I also really do not like this, it makes exploring early a real pain and it's just kind of not fun to move around with those rules

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Normally, districts gain +1 output for every 2 other districts next to them. Japan gets +1 for every adjacent district (possibly stacking with the normal bonus, the wording suggests it does but I haven't checked) so they're encouraged to make super build up cities.

Ah ok thanks

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Periodiko posted:

This game has the Worst Hills. It's incredibly hard to tell hills from plains, and if something's on the hill like a resource, good luck.

Hell I can't even tell the civs apart sometimes the colors are so similar to each other. Seems like some qol stuff got cut out to make the deadline.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vox Nihili posted:

They're fine, build units if you don't want to get stomped by them.

Its more frustrating because I can kill them, I'm not gonna die. I just can't get to every tile before they pillage it. Frustrating.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Yeah, you're encouraged to make your cities into tight clumps, and ideally pack them nice and tight too so you can get the bonuses from your super-factory (+4 hammers/culture compared to the normal factory's +3). They also build holy, theater and encampment districts in half the time.

Makes it easy to counterspy since the vast majority of your districts will be in the 1-tile counter-aura your spies have. That is it would if you didn't have to set CS orders every 3 turns. :suicide:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
So in my near-completion Germany game, basically all 10 surviving AI's are spying on my capital, either on the campus or the financial district. I got the Great Zimbabwe and a few other buffs to trading income, so each of Aachen's 10 trade routes makes 30 gold, in addition to other outputs. Anyway, my two spies are catching an enemy spy basically every 2 turns, and every time the owner immediately offers me amenities and cash for the spy's return. I just keep getting richer and happier, it's making the conquest of Brazil super easy.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I'm not sure I like the current city-state suzerain bonuses. Some of them are too good and it kind of breaks the game when you can abuse them early. I got one suzerain bonus (with 3 envoys) that lets you choose promotions for your apostles and went on to convert 3 civs to my religion, wiping out 2 religions (one was Saladin) in the first 150 turns on standard.

Now I'm gonna accidentally get another religious victory. :v:

So what can I do about england capturing city-states, can I liberate them later or will they just be cities from now on? I can't afford to go to war with england right now, but I'll have to if they threaten my double unit experience militaristic city-state

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

snoremac posted:

It did lead to one funny situation where a barb unit got stuck in a forest while my archers just pelted it with arrows from a plain 2 tiles away. It had to spend one turn leaving the forest, then another to actually attack my archers. But otherwise, yeah these movement rules are kinda annoying.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The movement rules are good and cool.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The movement rules are probably more fair to the AI because it's easy to understand as a human that you should always end your turn on a forest/hill or crossing a river, but it's anywhere from not easy to physically impossible to get the AI to understand it.

It does make me hate Jungle starts even more though I generally like the change. I would be fine if just scouts had the old movement and got only two moves instead of the new three.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 28, 2016

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Odobenidae posted:

I would be fine if just scouts had the old movement and got only two moves instead of the new three.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the new movement system, but in what situation would this be to the scout's advantage?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Jastiger posted:

Barbarians are ridiculous. I like that theh are a thing but they should slow down the respawn on those stupid camps. There is oooonnneeee unseen tile over here and ahaa now you have 3 units pillaging tiles. The cost to repair those tiles is so expensive for how fsst the barbarians come back.

Turn 15, on King. Barbs are NOT set to raging.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

ded posted:

The game is punishing you for playing Gandhi. As it should.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

counterfeitsaint posted:

counterfeitsaint posted:

counterfeitsaint posted:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ded posted:

Ah, so you're that Unmet Player who keeps losing in my games.

What is the optimal distance between two cities now? 4 hexes? 5? 6? This whole district business makes planning cities more difficult than "optimal spread of resources, possibly block AIs"

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
How do you view/choose which tiles a city utilizes? Does it even work like that anymore?

Edit: nm, it's the "Manage Citizens" icon.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Sanctum posted:

How do you look at each of the civs abilities?

I couldn't find a way from the main menu. I had to create a game to check the civilopedia, and there is no back button. :barf: So I have to click on a civ to see the civ trait, click the leader to see the leader trait for that civ, go back to the civs tab, pick that civ again, click the first unique unit/building/improvement, see that, go back to the civ tab, pick the civ again, and then check the second unique thingie.

This is stupidly tedious. There has to be a better way to see each civs abilities, the UI can't be this loving bad.

You could refer to my carefully-crafted OP :smug: (though it's missing most of the agendas because I'm lazy)

I've also added most of the QoL stuff to the OP and that city panel mod.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the new movement system, but in what situation would this be to the scout's advantage?

They ignore terrain cost altogether in Civ V is kinda what I meant. Even without that they could still cross a river or end their turn on a hill/tree with their last move I guess. The promotions for Civ VI scouts are nice but unless I'm playing a huge pangaea map I've explored everything neccessary by the time I've earned one.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Can you ever do anything good with rainforest tiles? My captial has loads to its north but they're doing very little for me when worked. Should I chop em down or is there a tech right around the corner that turns them into mega-food tiles or something?

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Leyburn posted:

Can you ever do anything good with rainforest tiles? My captial has loads to its north but they're doing very little for me when worked. Should I chop em down or is there a tech right around the corner that turns them into mega-food tiles or something?

You could put your campus there if no mountains are nearby. Otherwise, chop them for foid and production.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

GrandpaPants posted:

Ah, so you're that Unmet Player who keeps losing in my games.

You're probably just joking but when this happens in 90% of cases it's city states. I don't think I've had a game where barbarians killed an actual proper civ.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

On the technical side, this really is the most stable version of Civ I have every played. Not a single crash so far, no slowdown, no graphical glitches and everything is fast, including loading times.

Same rig as Civ5 but that thing crashed every now and then and was much slower. They did a fantastic job and I can't wait how the game will look like after the first expansions and updates.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Anyone know why the game takes 10+ minutes to launch from Steam for me? In that time my laptop's fans are quiet, as if it's not straining to load anything, until eventually the game starts and actually runs pretty well. I had the same issue with Civ V and Beyond Earth after upgrading to Windows 10.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Try whitelisting your Steam folder in Windows Defender, other people have been saying it's causing that problem.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Kassad posted:

Try whitelisting your Steam folder in Windows Defender, other people have been saying it's causing that problem.

Perfect! Thank you.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

You could refer to my carefully-crafted OP :smug: (though it's missing most of the agendas because I'm lazy)

I've also added most of the QoL stuff to the OP and that city panel mod.

I just looked at the OP, and the first QoL item alone was worth it. :thumbsup:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I'm realizing how awful I've been at managing my cities so far. I blame the UI. Civ4 had nice distinctive icons for positive/negative local city health & happiness so you'd pay attention to those numbers.

I was maximizing growth out of habit and wasting a disgusting amount of tile yields on limited growth. But my capital had very little growth and even in the late game it's still my smallest core city and is producing twice what my best civ5-esque min-max 4x river wheat tile 7x floodplain tile petra super-city with 3 overlapping industrial center boosts can make. My tiny capital sitting at 9 pop has twice the production with amenity boosts for being so small.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Is it just because my SSD is slow, or when you start/load a game, did they purposefully set it so that you have to sit there and listen to the Beanster give his entire leader speech before you can click 'continue' every single time? I swear it wasn't like this in Civ V, and now in VI regardless of leader, the 'continue' button will not show up until he's started the very last sentence of the leader intro. It makes reloading really annoying.

Edit:

Sanctum posted:

I'm realizing how awful I've been at managing my cities so far. I blame the UI. Civ4 had nice distinctive icons for positive/negative local city health & happiness so you'd pay attention to those numbers.

I was maximizing growth out of habit and wasting a disgusting amount of tile yields on limited growth. But my capital had very little growth and even in the late game it's still my smallest core city and is producing twice what my best civ5-esque min-max 4x river wheat tile 7x floodplain tile petra super-city with 3 overlapping industrial center boosts can make. My tiny capital sitting at 9 pop has twice the production with amenity boosts for being so small.

Yeah, I'm trying to relearn city management. Right now I just put every city on food/production focus and ignore it, but on higher difficulties I'm going to really have to focus on production when it becomes obvious a city won't grow quickly (housing cap issues). I still don't really know when a good breakpoint is to start specializing citizens in your campus/theatre/industrial...

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 28, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fhqwhgads posted:

Is it just because my SSD is slow, or when you start/load a game, did they purposefully set it so that you have to sit there and listen to the Beanster give his entire leader speech before you can click 'continue' every single time? I swear it wasn't like this in Civ V, and now in VI regardless of leader, the 'continue' button will not show up until he's started the very last sentence of the leader intro. It makes reloading really annoying.

:agreed:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

Just created a new game on default settings. I got the Continue button halfway through the leader part of the introduction.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

That's because default map size is small :/

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rexides posted:

That's because default map size is small :/

Is there a way to change the defaults? I don't ever want a map that's less than huge.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Megazver posted:

Just created a new game on default settings. I got the Continue button halfway through the leader part of the introduction.

I do the default settings as well (small map, 6 civs). Nothing has ever been slow for me, I just find it way too coincidental that whoever I play as, whether it's starting a new game or loading a current game, I always get the 'play' button during the last sentence of the speech. I remember in V just burning through the speeches in like 5 seconds. Just a curiosity, not sure if it's me or if they did something on purpose because gently caress it we paid Sean Bean you're going to goddamn listen to Sean goddamn Bean!

Edit: Gameplay conceit, I don't like how I can't tell a civ to back off until they already do something I don't want. I'm playing against Spain, and have totally carpeted my own continent with my religion. I don't tell him to step off with his missionaries until after he converts one of my cities? Of course I can't convert it back without royally pissing him off, either...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

In my first Play Now game, an enemy AI kept embarking its land units while 3 of my naval units just kept eating them up...