Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Had a sewage backup in the basement and didn't close this weekend, so that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Quit my sous job and have just been filling in at my friend's place as a line cook. Tra la la~ god, having no responsibility is amazing.

I feel you, bud.
vvvvv

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 26, 2016

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Inherited more responsibility; now smoking half a pack a day again after being quit for 4 1/2 years.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

On the food inspection/dodgy quality standards note, I ate at a Japanese food place recently, ordered niku don, and before I could take one bite I could smell spoiled meat. I complained... and got them to just make me something else. Should I never eat there again? Should I tip off the food inspector folks? Their sushi is pretty good, it was the first time I'd ordered something else from them.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

If served spoiled meat I'm not sure I would have let them give me something else to eat. If that happens isn't there something fundamentally broken boh?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

nuru posted:

If served spoiled meat I'm not sure I would have let them give me something else to eat. If that happens isn't there something fundamentally broken boh?

Not my best decision. I wasn't really thinking clearly at the time.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

nuru posted:

A while back, we almost accidentally served someone spoiled shrimp... until a busboy darted into the dining room and yanked it off the table. It was really odd, because with the exception of some wilted lettuce, BOH isn't in the habit of putting out spoiled food. We usually don't have anything on hand for long enough for that to happen, but one time, for whatever reason, no one noticed until it was well on its way to the person's mouth. I mean, I understand why you'd be reluctant to assume that it was a one time thing, but sometimes it is.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Inventory at my old job -- throwing out old poo poo

Inventory at my current job -- throwing a party with old poo poo (another 8cs are mine muaha).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

8 cases?! GG liver

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Turkeybone posted:

Inventory at my old job -- throwing out old poo poo

Inventory at my current job -- throwing a party with old poo poo (another 8cs are mine muaha).

Man, I'd kill for your job.

sleep well..

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
There should be a term for going into the walk-in for a thing, luxuriating in the cold air for a second as the sweat cools on your skin, and then coming to your senses a few seconds later having totally forgotten for what and why you went into the walk-in in the first place because that happens to everyone at work at least three times a day. More often five tbh

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Willie Tomg posted:

There should be a term for going into the walk-in for a thing, luxuriating in the cold air for a second as the sweat cools on your skin, and then coming to your senses a few seconds later having totally forgotten for what and why you went into the walk-in in the first place because that happens to everyone at work at least three times a day. More often five tbh

"Break"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Willie Tomg posted:

I always remember the reason I went into the walk-in, whippits.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So I started writing up a post on how I once helped a bunch of ridiculous human beings open a ridiculous giant restaurant/night club venture. It's now about 10 pages single-spaced in Word and going. I figured it'd be a funny and interesting story, but the problem is it's too humorous/large for E/N, inappropriate (I think) as its own thread in GWS, and I don't want to interrupt this thread with giant story posts here if nobody (rightfully) gives a poo poo. Do you think it'd be alright as one of those A/T threads?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Giant effortposts is very much A/T style, yes, either as its own thread or possibly in the bartending thread.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Plan Z posted:

So I started writing up a post on how I once helped a bunch of ridiculous human beings open a ridiculous giant restaurant/night club venture. It's now about 10 pages single-spaced in Word and going. I figured it'd be a funny and interesting story, but the problem is it's too humorous/large for E/N, inappropriate (I think) as its own thread in GWS, and I don't want to interrupt this thread with giant story posts here if nobody (rightfully) gives a poo poo. Do you think it'd be alright as one of those A/T threads?

I hope it's just the first ten pages of Glamorama by Brett Easton-Ellis

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Plan Z posted:

Please link it here when you do.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Skwirl posted:

I always remember the reason I went into the walk-in, whippits.

Ooooooh.

You just hit one of my 'going to loving murder someone' triggers. Digging into the walk-in mid-service doing ice cream desserts and finding the whole case of loving whipped cream cans that someone had ruined doing whippits.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Plan Z posted:

Having helped a couple sentient piles of Fail live their dreams IRL I genuinely give a poo poo about hearing this. I think big posts offer a springboard for subsequent posts about things. I think yours lives very comfortably here ITT and also in A/T maybe.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Willie Tomg posted:

that term should be "tomging" however that's pronounced

i've never calculated how far away the walkin is from the line at the slop shop, mostly bc i get bored counting my steps on the way there. oh fun now i have a goal tonight

e: ~80 steps plus a flight of stairs each way 💯

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 2, 2016

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I'm the guy who has to wear a suit when I'm working front of the house and I'm short staffed, so I go in the walk in to get a single lime for no reason but actually to put my forehead in front of the fans

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The only thing I miss about restaurants is walking into the cooler when I started melting. Now I'm a mechanic working outside all day and I have to pretend the barely working A/C in the office feels just as good as the walk-in.

Quite seriously the only thing I miss, though. And hey, it was this thread that convinced me I was in the wrong job so thanks guys.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Is it bitchy of me to get angry when someone fucks off on a smoke/bathroom break and doesn't TELL ANYONE?

I was making shakes and taking orders but didn't look at expo because there was the gm and a shift lead who I knew weren't cooking.

Finish up what I'm doing to find 3 orders ready and 2 red tickets at expo because the gm was in the office and the shift lead was ??? Who knows.

If you have to go smoke less than an hour after showing up 45 mins late then yeah I'll be annoyed but loving tell me so I don't assume something is covered. I am not paid headless chicken wages, I don't deserve this stress.

And I'm the one not able to be promoted because I can only open M-F due to the second job I took because I don't get paid poo poo for my hours

But I'm "unavailable".

Fucker won't even make me a trainer which is nothing but a title. Not even a raise.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
find another job and quit if this one won't get better

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

moonsour posted:

Is it bitchy of me to get angry when someone fucks off on a smoke/bathroom break and doesn't TELL ANYONE?

I was making shakes and taking orders but didn't look at expo because there was the gm and a shift lead who I knew weren't cooking.

Finish up what I'm doing to find 3 orders ready and 2 red tickets at expo because the gm was in the office and the shift lead was ??? Who knows.

If you have to go smoke less than an hour after showing up 45 mins late then yeah I'll be annoyed but loving tell me so I don't assume something is covered. I am not paid headless chicken wages, I don't deserve this stress.

And I'm the one not able to be promoted because I can only open M-F due to the second job I took because I don't get paid poo poo for my hours

But I'm "unavailable".

Fucker won't even make me a trainer which is nothing but a title. Not even a raise.

Quit.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I agree. The gm is on his last chance apparently so I'll see how the next 30 days pans out.

As for quitting, I'm still contract to hire at my other job and even though I've been told I'll have a job as long as my numbers stay up, I'm on thin ice because of some late busses.

Re-writing my resume this week to move over into computer janitor some place that pays at least 15/hr like the call center.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Willie Tomg posted:

Having helped a couple sentient piles of Fail live their dreams IRL I genuinely give a poo poo about hearing this. I think big posts offer a springboard for subsequent posts about things. I think yours lives very comfortably here ITT and also in A/T maybe.

I guess I could post a bit here. This is part 1 of about 6 and going, which I'm paring down right now. I never thought I'd have a story in my life involving former classmates-turned-loan-sharks shaking down my bosses for money.

So the only work experience I have is as a cook/chef. I started working part-time in kitchens when I was seventeen, and continued full-time when I had to drop out of college. One of the worst of these was a semi full-time job (I did 40+ a week, but was not considered "full time") at a hotel/conference center on the campus of our local university. It was an incredibly busy environment, and they seemed to like me enough that they started giving more and more responsibilities while still paying me under $10/hr. I really genuinely enjoyed the job at the beginning, but towards the end I was just showing up to work stupidly early and given a whole bunch of extra hours and responsibilities but also yelled at for working extra hours.

After a particularly long winter of serious E/N Brain Troubles, I decided I needed to quit the place as I wasn't going anywhere with it. And since I was pretty much hurting myself by working there, I quit without another job lined up. I spent the next few months basically catching up on sleep that I felt I needed since high school, and spending what money I'd earned and saved (I was about 24 at this time). I remember having a particularly long binge drinking weekend where I finally had a yell about dropping out and skipping out on a friend's funeral because they couldn't let a "part time" employee off of work.

After I was tired of unemployment, I applied to a job at a place that was advertising as a night club upstairs and a restaurant downstairs, both ready to open in a few months. I was hired on the spot by a pretty wound-up skinny little man from New Orleans claiming to be the head chef. The conversation we had seemed promising. They had everything ordered, the other owners/managers had opened bars/clubs before, and they felt they had the infrastructure they needed. I went home and didn't receive a call for almost a month. When they did eventually call me, they told me that it was for an employee meeting.

When I arrived, there were about 20+ "employees" hanging around. I could pick out the bartenders, cooks, and servers out from each other just by looking. I immediately gravitated to a cook who looked exactly like a skinny Silent Bob, which pretty much summed up the whole of him. We got along well, and i made sure to remember it. Eventually, everyone got there and the meeting could start. The leaders of the project introduced themselves, and it was the first time I got a really sinking feeling about the place.

First guy was billed as the manager for both the restaurant and night club (they were going to be separate ventures, more on that later). He was an off-and-on professional DJ and former bar manager and looked like the kind of guy who was desperately hanging on to his long-gone twenties. He had a Smashmouth hairdo and chinstrap beard with clothes that were meant for a raver ten years younger and twenty pounds lighter than him.

Second guy was billed as financier, and everyone in charge made sure that we knew it was his one and only title. I immediately recognized his name as a young guy who'd opened up a night club in town that did well until it got shut down for too many underage charges. Last I'd heard he tried to open up another night club about an hour away, which seemed odd considering how rural it was in our part of the state.

Third guy was the chef. All I had to do was look at him to know he was on hard drugs this time. I know because I'd done a short row of time taking amphetamines and I could pin some of the signs on him. Skinny Silent Bob, later agreed with me. The tweaker chef had come all the way up from Louisiana and worked around town for a few years before landing this gig to cook authentic cajun and creole food for both the restaurant and club.

Fourth was the girl who was hired as the bar manager. She looked like she was getting close to 30. She was pretty and small, but you could tell she was tough, had good sense, and did a lot of hard work in her time. I eventually really liked her company, even when things really soured between me and the venture. I later found out she had been a cheerleader at the local Big Ten university.

The final one did not inspire confidence. I sort of recognized her face at first, but didn't immediately place it as a person I'd gone to high school with until she introduced herself. She was slightly older than me, but her sister was in my grade, and I had even won second runner-up homecoming with her in my senior year. I still remember the younger sister as a very smart, driven, pretty girl among other good qualities. The woman that was here announced as a pseudo-H.R. rep I only knew as pretty. Nice, too, I guess, and married to the Financier.

After a mission statement and demonstration of the sound system (which would be a running occurence), we filled out our W-4s and were offered the opportunity to do setup work for on-the-clock time. Since I was unemployed, I agreed to help out, said bye to Bob, and left. This was the beginning of some of the weirdest months of my life working for a bunch of weirdos opening a legally shaky enterprise.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
jfc this post is really lo-

Plan Z posted:

He was an off-and-on professional DJ

:allears: go on

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

jfc this post is really lo-

:allears: go on

I honestly can't remember his stage name, but he was well-represented on the internet and a few people I mentioned it to recognized his name.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Plan Z posted:

I honestly can't remember his stage name, but he was well-represented on the internet and a few people I mentioned it to recognized his name.

Keep posting fucker. :f5:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Normal poo poo I'm sure, but today I had my first encounter with a customer taking advantage of the restaurant. She ordered extra avocado and pickled ginger with her poke bowl. We charge for these things. I obliged as requested. She returned later, having eaten all of the avocado and ginger and half of her bowl and claimed we didn't give them to her at all and demanded we fix this problem. I obliged because I'm not about to argue with a customer. She and her friend then spent almost two hours taking up chairs (we only seat 12) and talking loudly, and would ask for samples of Dole Whip every time the FOH rotated. They didn't tip.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 4, 2016

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

After this, I'm gonna make an A/T thread, I think. Thanks for being my interest check.

Part 2, The Setup:
So to get people into the mindset, I kind of have to explain how the building worked. There were two main rooms, one upstairs one downstairs. The upstairs area had been a large night club. It was a really nice space and I'd been there a few times when it was open, most memorably to see a really good Dinosaur Jr. concert. It also had a very nice jazz night on occasion. It looked like a standard night club complete with outdoor balcony, two long bars, a dais with seating, and a an indoor VIP balcony.

The downstairs business had been kind of a bistro/night club. When it was open, it had been hands down the best night club in town, despite being hands down the dirtiest night club I've ever been in (it was not uncommon for the crowd to die down and to see a few lost flip-flops stuck to the grimy floor in the summer). You'd actually get B-or-A list celebrities in town who were paid to show up at the other night clubs, and were then told to come to this place, where they'd often return. My friends and I were going on a cig/beer run one night when we caught Paulie Shore coming out of the place for some air. We started chatting him up and went back in and hung with him for a few hours. He was a really cool dude. Anyway, the place had a small attached kitchen that served surprisingly really good food in low volume. both of these separate businesses were run by the same guy who still owned the building that we were opening in.

Despite the good reputation as fun clubs for both establishments, they both had a lot of bad stories. There were usually fights, an occasional stabbing, and a student once choked to death on his vomit when a bouncer held him in a bad position. The place was closed down and the owner had his liquor license revoked with no chance of getting another. Afterwards, he opened up a restaurant and a bakery in two smaller parts of the building. The restaurant was well-regarded as it didn't fantastic proper Italian food but closed due to problems from lax management. The bakery is still going strong and produces some of the best bread I've ever had.

Now, the upstairs seemed to be in good shape. Lots of refrigeration, storage, bar room, equipment, etc. It was basically a dream setup for a night club. The downstairs was harder. The dining area had a beautiful long bar with Tiffany lights, Lots of real wood paneling, a beautiful mural across the entire length of the walls, really nice iron railings running across the two daises... it was a great bistro/club setup, even logistically.

The kitchen downstairs was a huge red flag. The owners wanted to seat up to 200 in the main dining room eating upscale cuisine and this kitchen was not remotely set up for that. With creative stacking you could at most get about 8-10 plates in the window of the miniscule line table. There was a single 3-bay sink, a few beat-up Coke fridges, one single-bay fryer that liked to move on its own, a pretty damned good broiler and sautee setup (the latter of which had the only ovens underneath the range). There was also a single-rack dishwaser (one of those lift and drop box dealies) that received no hot water. I was told a grill and flat-top were on the way. The walk-in fridge was approximately 10'x8'. Seeing the kitchen was when I decided that the whole venture was gonna fail and I was going to make what money I could and bail. That turned out to be harder than you'd think. First though, we had to get the place in some kind of reasonable order.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 4, 2016

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if I linked this video in the thread before, but I feel it needs to be linked now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kGtgBJKyZM

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Plan Z posted:

The kitchen downstairs was a huge red flag. The owners wanted to seat up to 200 in the main dining room eating upscale cuisine and this kitchen was not remotely set up for that. With creative stacking you could at most get about 8-10 plates in the window of the miniscule line table. There was a single 3-bay sink, a few beat-up Coke fridges, one single-bay fryer that liked to move on its own, a pretty damned good broiler and sautee setup (the latter of which had the only ovens underneath the range). There was also a single-rack dishwaser (one of those lift and drop box dealies) that received no hot water. I was told a grill and flat-top were on the way. The walk-in fridge was approximately 10'x8'. Seeing the kitchen was when I decided that the whole venture was gonna fail and I was going to make what money I could and bail. That turned out to be harder than you'd think. First though, we had to get the place in some kind of reasonable order.

The first thought for me when I see "Hmm, poo poo isn't working or set up, and extra poo poo hasn't been afforded for" is definitely not "These people we pay me on time"

looking forward to more, please post the A/T thread link here

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

JawKnee posted:

The first thought for me when I see "Hmm, poo poo isn't working or set up, and extra poo poo hasn't been afforded for" is definitely not "These people we pay me on time"

looking forward to more, please post the A/T thread link here

Same here. Sounds like a delicious disaster in the making. Don't leave us hungry!

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
So y'all work in the industry: how gimmicky is this? Because I don't see how the hell a sushi joint is going to make enough money to employ a full time marine biologist to keep the fishtanks clean:

The Washingtonian posted:

Your Sushi Arrives via Little Floating Boats at This New Sterling Restaurant
Few restaurants have a marine biologist on staff, but then again, few restaurants are equipped with 3,000-gallon ocean reef aquariums and a canal for delivering food to diners.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

So y'all work in the industry: how gimmicky is this? Because I don't see how the hell a sushi joint is going to make enough money to employ a full time marine biologist to keep the fishtanks clean:

Isn't the whole point of a good sushi restaurant that the sushi chef walks you through the experience and makes the pieces to your taste?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
All I know is that the last time I referred to something as a "sushi canal" I got slapped, so...

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

I'm not sure how D&D you want me to get i/r/t this topic, but a marine biologist responsible for An Whopping Three Thousand Gallons Of Water, Which Feeds A Commercial Seafood Restaurant Enterprise What Presumably Wants To Turn A Profit In A City is a marine biologist about to find out the hard way why marine biologists will not exist in 50 years in no small part due to south-east asian dietary habits and the westerners who ape them out of some kind of incredibly hosed up oriental fetish.

e; okay it's in RichFolk North Virginia: Ultimate Home Of Your CIA/NSA/FBI/DIA/3-Letter Acronym tax dollars. Yes, 3,000 gallons of fresh blood siphoned daily into their mouths would not be enough to sate that demographic, let alone seafood living in such. Unless they're stupid enough to pay $200 per sashimi piece in which case that explains a whole lot about the american intel apparatus tbqh.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Willie Tomg posted:

I'm not sure how D&D you want me to get i/r/t this topic, but a marine biologist responsible for An Whopping Three Thousand Gallons Of Water, Which Feeds A Commercial Seafood Restaurant Enterprise What Presumably Wants To Turn A Profit In A City is a marine biologist about to find out the hard way why marine biologists will not exist in 50 years in no small part due to south-east asian dietary habits.

I'm sure there's gonna be some weird aquatic thing that evolves to eat plastic bags out of necessity, marine biologists can study that.

• Locked thread