Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There have been at least 2 lost boys sequels. I didn't watch them, but from the trailers they misunderstood everything that made the original good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lost Boys is really good but Near Dark is the superior 80s film about young vampires in love.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 25, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TBH the love story was the weakest part of the film alot of it was just the "feel"

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
drat, they really went all in on that "it's just like Twilight!" redesign.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
street fighter 2 the anime movie just cmae out on blu ray ive never watched it do i watch the japanese one or the english one the blu ray has both

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The music was the main difference from memory. The American version was more rock orientated.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Am I wrong in feeling like there are few, if any, notable feature-length films made between 1915 and 1920? It seems like there's Birth of a Nation followed by a half-decade lull, and then all the classic silent movies start around 1920. What am I overlooking?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A lot of silent movies of that era are just gone, either through the film stock degrading or purposeful destruction by the studios themselves. Nobody really cared about preserving movies in the early days of film.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Yeah, the LoC estimates about 75% of films before the 30s I think are lost. So really, it's hard to say what might be notable to us now since we can't be sure what those films were like.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EL BROMANCE posted:

The music was the main difference from memory. The American version was more rock orientated.

thanks i watched it and hated it anyways so

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Are you sure you really want to see all those cat boxing movies Thomas Edison made with Edison Studios? There's a drunk history episode about it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27CiI-zMsRA. I doubt there was anything made then worth watching.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

where does amazon streaming x-ray thing pull its trivia from? imdb?

cuz i watched spectre just now and one of the trivia things mentioned people believing jaws would be in the movie (turned out they misinterpreted having a villain as iconic as jaws or oddjob).

why i ask is about midway through the film bautista's character is yanked out of the train with a rope attached to barrels in a very obvious homage to the film jaws and it isn't commented on in the x-ray for that scene.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

spooky like this! posted:

A lot of silent movies of that era are just gone, either through the film stock degrading or purposeful destruction by the studios themselves. Nobody really cared about preserving movies in the early days of film.

Film preservation was a bad joke until the late '70s, really.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Empress Brosephine posted:

thanks i watched it and hated it anyways so

Yeah it's not good at all, sadly. We had it when it came out and we were about 13 and the only scene anyone ever mentioned was the Chun Li in the shower one.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah it's not good at all, sadly. We had it when it came out and we were about 13 and the only scene anyone ever mentioned was the Chun Li in the shower one.

yeah that scene was still in there but even that was pretty pointless. the whole movei was entirely pointless actually

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

Am I wrong in feeling like there are few, if any, notable feature-length films made between 1915 and 1920? It seems like there's Birth of a Nation followed by a half-decade lull, and then all the classic silent movies start around 1920. What am I overlooking?

Unfortunately, a lot of early features from 1914-1920 just aren't as well known today, even when they exist.

Griffith kept making solid films through the 20s, even if few are as notable as BOAN. Intolerance (1916) is probably the most important feature film ever made because it inspired a generation or two of filmmakers around the world. Broken Blossoms (1919) was not just successful, but also an important social film (and surprisingly progressive for the time).

William S. Hart's Hell's Hinges (1916) is a great western. Barely over an hour, but it has a really good story and some stunning photography. There's also Louis Feuillade's serials, which are somewhere between shorts and features since most episodes were feature-length. Les Vampires (1916) and Judex (1917) are both fantastic and way more entertaining than you would expect. Erich von Stroheim made his first two features - The Devil's Passkey, his first, is lost, but his second one Blind Husbands is quite fun. You also have the first films from Ernst Lubitsch, Cecil B. DeMille, and Victor Sjostrom.

There's also some important films that are forgotten today, but made a huge impact originally. Examples would be Lois Weber's Where Are My Children? (one of the earliest fictional films about birth control) and Different from the Others (a German drama dealing with homosexuality). Abel Gance's J'accuse is an anti-war film made during WWI.

But a lot of the highest grossing features from this time are either lost or barely known. There's only a few seconds of the Theda Bara version of Cleopatra that survive and it was one of the most popular films of that decade.

The thing to really look out for are the short films. Chaplin made his 12 Mutual comedies from 1916-1917 in addition more than a dozen more for other studios. Fatty Arbuckle made over a hundred from 1913-1920, including the dozen or so co-starring Buster Keaton. Harold Lloyd made his first "glasses character" comedies.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Egbert Souse posted:

Different from the Others (a German drama dealing with homosexuality).

This is actually a huge one because not only did it deal with homosexuality, it actively campaigned against its criminalization and stated openly that homosexuality was natural, normal, and good.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Is Bad Santa 2 going to be a good movie?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I don't know. Bad Santa one is a fantastic movie though. Trying not to get my hopes up for the sequel. Not sure how it could possibly live up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ask yourself how many good comedy sequels there have ever been.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Crank 2 was good also Gremlins 2.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It looks poo poo.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Parachute posted:

Crank 2 was good also Gremlins 2.

And Jump Street 22. That's about it though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

got any sevens posted:

Addams Family Values.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Timby posted:

Ask yourself how many good comedy sequels there have ever been.

It's like you're deliberately ignoring the Police Academy franchise.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

got any sevens posted:

A Shot in the Dark
Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey
Christmas Vacation
Drunken Master 2
Hot Shots Part Deux
Naked Gun 2 1/2

Most of the Muppets sequels

I'm sure there's more.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Wayne's World 2?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Neighbors 2.

It's just that Bad Santa is one of my favorite and most-watched movies and I don't want it to have a terrible sequel.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Ace Ventura 2?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Neighbors 2.

It's just that Bad Santa is one of my favorite and most-watched movies and I don't want it to have a terrible sequel.

If you didn't think Neighbors 2 was bad, you should be ok at least.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
A Very Brady Sequel is a Very Good Sequel.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
I've tried googling this to no avail. I've been watching Star Trek TOS and Kirk (maybe others I'm not sure) frequently is shot with his face in shadow and only his eyes lit up, it's jarring in some scenes where Kirk is talking to someone and it goes from a fully lit face to Kirk's mostly in shadow face and I can't think of a single reason for it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Empress Brosephine posted:

street fighter 2 the anime movie just cmae out on blu ray ive never watched it do i watch the japanese one or the english one the blu ray has both

English. It's just not the same without KMDFM over the Chun-Li/Vega fight.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Austin Powers 2 was still decent

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

donquixotic posted:

I've tried googling this to no avail. I've been watching Star Trek TOS and Kirk (maybe others I'm not sure) frequently is shot with his face in shadow and only his eyes lit up, it's jarring in some scenes where Kirk is talking to someone and it goes from a fully lit face to Kirk's mostly in shadow face and I can't think of a single reason for it

The original series used a lot of theatrical-esque lighting (the women actors were frequently shot with the focus just a bit soft with one direct light source, and a lot of rimlighting).

They were also careful with how they shot Shatner because 1) they didn't want to show his toupee and 2) his weight was constantly fluctuating throughout the show's entire run.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Just a bit soft? Sure you don't mean very very soft focus

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The second Addams Family movie was funny? I think?? But it's been like decades.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

Timby posted:

They were also careful with how they shot Shatner because 1) they didn't want to show his toupee and 2) his weight was constantly fluctuating throughout the show's entire run.

Ahahaha that makes so much sense in hindsight it's like Hasselhoff sucking in his gut and getting favourable angles but with Shatner (I'm still on the first series) it looks really weird. Thanks for the explanation, much of it I can attribute to well it's the 60s

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

AlternateAccount posted:

The second Addams Family movie was funny? I think?? But it's been like decades.

It's considerably funnier than the first. The main thing about the first is the lush, Toys-esque production design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

donquixotic posted:

Ahahaha that makes so much sense in hindsight it's like Hasselhoff sucking in his gut and getting favourable angles but with Shatner (I'm still on the first series) it looks really weird. Thanks for the explanation, much of it I can attribute to well it's the 60s

Color TV was also really, really new when TOS was being made, so the directors and the cinematographer (Jerry Finnerman on the first two seasons) liked to get creative with color and lighting.

As for Shatner, according to Bob Justman he only had "a few odd tufts" of hair on the top of his head when they were shooting the second pilot, "Where No Man Has Gone Before." Shatner was always incredibly sensitive about that (and he eventually started wearing a girdle early on during production of the second season when Justman and Roddenberry realized he simply would not control his weight).