Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Perfectly Safe posted:

Got to say, as a UK goon who followed the Malheur occupation religiously, I'm horrified and genuinely angry at the verdict here. This is essentially a theoretical faraway event for me, though - I can't begin to imagine how people in the US feel, but you all have my sympathy and internet goonhugs.

Being in the UK this matters to you, as you also have sovcits in your midst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

jBrereton posted:

The guy who tried to flim flam the zim zam wasn't trying to defend himself lol it was road rage

What is it with the alt right and cutesy bullshit phrases like this? Go gently caress off back to /pol/, garbage man.

quote:

"He said he was acting in self-defense and that Zimmerman had pointed a gun at him — a claim Zimmerman denied."

hmmm

yeah this sure seems like an implausible story given zimmerman's history and temperament

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

VikingSkull posted:

UK sovcits are interesting, because the obsession with English common law makes more sense, but when they site things like the UCC (a US law), it's funny.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

VikingSkull posted:

a billboard near me gets this quite a bit

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ChristopherRobin posted:

How much you want to bet this encourages the "armed insurrection" Trump people if/when he loses?

This is what gets me. The whole affair would be a lot less frightening if we didn't have a sociopathic manchild calling for a revolution if he doesn't get to be godking of the USA.

Jose posted:

Clearly the solution I'm getting here is to refer to anyone who insists on this as "rear end in a top hat" since I'm not allowed to use their legal name.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

VikingSkull posted:

I'm really glad that I don't have my job anymore where I dealt with sovcits constantly

I'll just look back with fondness on having police kick in their barricades and move on with life because gently caress they're gonna be everywhere now

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Mirthless posted:

What is it with the alt right and cutesy bullshit phrases like this? Go gently caress off back to /pol/, garbage man.
lol

Appleton is like that dumped British guy stuck in the US who ended up living out of a car and thought he would be a hero by trying to steal a cop's gun to shoot Trump. A retard.

Even if killing Zimmerman would be any justice for Trayvon Martin's death (and it isn't, there can be no justice for that), what would Appleton like to change that would be affected by a drive-by shooting of someone he'd apparently stalked before? Like does he think that would change the Stand Your Ground laws?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Jose posted:

I don't know what this means. Could you please explain further?

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

VikingSkull posted:

We do - there are special snowflakes everywhere. What we don't really have is entire districts from which one might draw a jury that are sufficiently anti-government as to return a not guilty verdict for crimes that are as well-evidenced as these, for reasons (I suppose) of population density, political structure, and culture, among other things.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
So it turns out we were wrong and the sovcits were right.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Jose posted:

If it wasn't for the source, I would think that was from Scarfolk

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

jBrereton posted:

lol

Appleton is like that dumped British guy stuck in the US who ended up living out of a car and thought he would be a hero by trying to steal a cop's gun to shoot Trump. A retard.

Even if killing Zimmerman would be any justice for Trayvon Martin's death (and it isn't, there can be no justice for that), what would Appleton like to change that would be affected by a drive-by shooting of someone he'd apparently stalked before? Like does he think that would change the Stand Your Ground laws?

dude just gtfo, you outed yourself as alt-right already

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

WrenP-Complete posted:

well if you can make sense of this word salad

http://legalnamefraud.com/

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WrenP-Complete posted:

Explained by an actual lawyer, with some jokes: http://loweringthebar.net/2016/06/is-it-illegal-to-use-a-legal-name.html

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
This is how I felt after seeing that jury in Texas gave a "not guilty" verdict to Robert Durst.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
We may have lost the battle, but Hillary will win the war.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Condiv posted:

dude just gtfo, you outed yourself as alt-right already
That's it, the reason I am against drive-by assassination attempts by misguided idiots/killing mentally ill people over trespass and tax offences is because I love Trump.

The proof? I used the phrase "flim flam the zim zam", which is not at all amusing and is a sign of being a fascist pepe.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ChristopherRobin posted:

How much you want to bet this encourages the "armed insurrection" Trump people if/when he loses?

Honestly, that's the terrifying part. This is coming on the heels of Trump claiming that the election is rigged if he doesn't win and even encouraging voter intimidation. Knowledgeable people on the subject like our own Prester Jane (who has a history of eerily accurate predictions of these kinds of things thanks to her childhood being raised by people like them) have already predicted that a Trump loss is likely to see more incidents like Malheur or even the attempted immigrant bombing in Kansas.

Now, the precedent this acquittal sets (and I know it's not a literal legal precedent, gently caress off with the semantics) will only add fuel to that fire. It combines the newfound bravery sovereign citizens and government protesters will feel from seeing their heroes get acquitted with the rage of their candidate losing the presidency, believing he only lost because the Democrats rigged the system. I not only won't be surprised if we see more right-wing terrorist attacks, I downright expect them.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

jBrereton posted:

That's it, the reason I am against drive-by assassination attempts by misguided idiots/killing mentally ill people over trespass and tax offences is because I love Trump.

The proof? I used the phrase "flim flam the zim zam", which is not at all amusing and is a sign of being a fascist pepe.

it is definitely not amusing to refer to a murderer and white supremacist by a cutesy pet name

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mirthless posted:

it is definitely not amusing to refer to a murderer and white supremacist by a cutesy pet name

Not even Charlie "the man" Manson?

(Although he never actually killed anybody, did he?)

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

ChristopherRobin posted:

I'd like to see them try. It'd thin the herd pretty quickly.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Lol at the poor fuckers who took a plea deal.

Who got the longest sentence from a deal? How bad was it, knowing now he would have been free.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

prefect posted:

Not even Charlie "the man" Manson?

(Although he never actually killed anybody, did he?)

His nickname is "chuck."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bombadilillo posted:

Lol at the poor fuckers who took a plea deal.

Who got the longest sentence from a deal? How bad was it, knowing now he would have been free.

Think of how peeved Finicum’s ghost must be. :unsmith:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
They got off? Seriously? What the hell? I guess at least I can at least find solace in a ten-months-old "I told you so" to the people who thought the feds should have just charged in on day one because the charges would be a slam dunk, but drat, they were there for over a month and the jury still wouldn't let them stick? I hate juries

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Maybe next time the US Attorneys might not try for a conspiracy charge "to impede federal employees" where the employees themselves testified that their bosses just told them to telecommute instead.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

do u know jenny posted:

This is how I felt after seeing that jury in Texas gave a "not guilty" verdict to Robert Durst.

i'd forgotten that. them being interview on the jinx was incredible

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Justice was served and gently caress any fascist who thought the feds should have crushed a peaceful protest

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

CrazyLittle posted:

Maybe next time the US Attorneys might not try for a conspiracy charge "to impede federal employees" where the employees themselves testified that their bosses just told them to telecommute instead.

Do conspiracy charges require the conspiracy to be successful? I thought conspiracy charges are about the plan and its intentions, rather than its result.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Burt Sexual posted:

Why would they let criminals that committed multiple federal and state crimes walk away? Theyre white isn't an answer

lol

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church
What about damages to the facility? Are they liable for any of that or is it up to the feds to pay for everything?

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baloogan posted:

Justice was served and gently caress any fascist who thought the feds should have crushed a peaceful protest

should've called in an air strike while we had the chance

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Well at least they got tarp man

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

CrazyLittle posted:

Their explicit purpose, stated on camera, was to stop the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge from doing its work. The charge was appropriate.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

CrazyLittle posted:

What about the blatant property theft? Medenbach stole an actual truck and was found not guilty. The attorneys weren't the problem here.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Nocturtle posted:

What about the blatant property theft? Medenbach stole an actual truck and was found not guilty. The attorneys weren't the problem here.

They were because they somehow let a jury of 11 sovcits plus one alternate sovcit get empaneled.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
R u saying that the system is

Rigged?

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Nocturtle posted:

That truck was borrowed!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Baloogan posted:

Counterpoint: It wasn't peaceful.

This is what a peaceful protest looks like. Also related, this is what police crushing a peaceful protest looks like.

The standoff was anything but peaceful and the videos of Tarpman begging to die prove that. They wanted a confrontation with the feds, the difference being they wanted the confrontation on their terms (at the Wildlife Refuge, with women and children as human shields) and they got snatched at their most vulnerable instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

They got off? Seriously? What the hell? I guess at least I can at least find solace in a ten-months-old "I told you so" to the people who thought the feds should have just charged in on day one because the charges would be a slam dunk, but drat, they were there for over a month and the jury still wouldn't let them stick? I hate juries

How's it an "I told you so" from you. Your entire premise was the wait and see will not empower RWM whereas I cannot see the nullification doing anything but. The feds should have just slaughtered those fucks, like any minority, on day 1.