Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

FiftyMews posted:

This might be a mess to read. It's really hard to organize and effectively summarize for me. I don't even clearly remember most of the years I spent in this. If you either want to eat up the drama about it so far or are just curious/concerned or whatever Here's The Blog About Her.

Jesus. I'm sorry you were victimized by this person; she sounds like a sadly archetypal sort of Internet roleplaying predator.

I confess I'm pretty confused by this whole roleplaying setup. It's an Undertale game, except alternate universe, and everyone appears to be playing versions of the same two or three characters? And a non-trivial number of these players also believe that their characters are their alternate personalities or soulbonds? And all the characters are named after colors? Someone please explain, if that's even possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiftyMews
Oct 24, 2016

Antivehicular posted:

Jesus. I'm sorry you were victimized by this person; she sounds like a sadly archetypal sort of Internet roleplaying predator.

I confess I'm pretty confused by this whole roleplaying setup. It's an Undertale game, except alternate universe, and everyone appears to be playing versions of the same two or three characters? And a non-trivial number of these players also believe that their characters are their alternate personalities or soulbonds? And all the characters are named after colors? Someone please explain, if that's even possible.

Undertale only came in recently. She obsesses over certain things and her most recent is Undertale. Which has a pretty.. interesting fandom. But Alternate Universe scenarios are plentiful in the fandom and multiverses wouldn't be too far-fetched if I understand Undertale canon. The roleplay setup as far as I know is really just that: Roleplay. Anna tried to make it another on of those "this is actually happening on another plane" setups.

An Undertale roleplay group made up largely (though not completely) of Kin and soulbonders, tulpamancers, and both traumagenic (DID/DDNOS or similarly diagnosed) and endogenic (Systems formed without any known trauma or illness) made the mistake of trying to judge Anna of her own merit. She was eventually ousted due to art theft and abuse of another kid who's severely depressed anyhow and has relapsed due to the whole thing. She also went after them and so they no longer have a tumblr under the advise of their therapist and others involved. She has a habit of trying to get back into the lives she's been cut-off from, with varying degrees of success, by attacking and then kissing rear end, and then back again if neither of those work the first time. She also manages to lure in new people and further cling to anyone that stays by using it to paint herself as a victim. This is where being an unsuspecting but well-meaning person can be a dangerous thing and mostly what she's been doing now, which is why the group is still involved as their trouble with her is ongoing.

Because lots of the characters are alternate versions of the same canon character, they're often given nicknames. "Bluesy", "Edgy", "Blueberry" and "Cherry" are all different nicknames for different versions/interpretations of Sans for example. If the members who are systems are telling the truth about being multiple, then yes, some of their headmates, tulpas, soulbonds, whatever, also roleplay in the group. There are some qualms I have with the group in regards to Fictionkin/Otherkin and some system stuff but honestly I'm just having to pick my battles on that one. Most of the testimonials are from them since the incident with them is more recent and still happening, instead of being a group that fell out of contact over years.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Thank God I'm not a teenager any more. I'd be even more of a raging alcoholic than I already am if I had to deal with that word salad.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
As far as internet good will goes, though, there's something really :shobon: about
:v: "Sans lives in my head!"
:j: "Oh, Sans lives in my head too!"
:v: "Okay, let's call yours Blue, and mine Sansy."
:j: "Great. Let's be friends."

I think I remember the "no, Sesshomaru is my boyfriend" arguments of the late 90s a little too well to hold any ill will towards teenagers getting along about these things now. :unsmith:

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

FearCotton posted:

My mom did not take kindly to that, and went in guns blazing. She had a meeting with Danielle's parents,

What did your mom say, and what did her parents do about it?

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

FiftyMews posted:

primarily by warping concepts discussed in the Otherkin community (not that many would care, but the off-tumblr sort of it)

Do people still use the phrase "tumblr-kin?" Does it still mean the same thing? I saw it recently and it's always funny seeing a concept you basically created run riot in a small subculture.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Hate Fibration posted:

Do people still use the phrase "tumblr-kin?" Does it still mean the same thing? I saw it recently and it's always funny seeing a concept you basically created run riot in a small subculture.

I don't recall what it originally meant, but two kinds of people use it lately. The anti social justice folks who call people special snowflakes and mock trigger warnings and poo poo who use tumblrkin as some weird pseudo-slur. They're also the same people who eagerly fall for trolls of 'I'm breadkin!' or 'I'm attack helicoptergenderkin!' type poo poo.

Then there's the 'greymuzzle' aka older otherkin/fictionkin/therian people who've identified as kin/therians for multiple decades who consider people with 30+ kintypes, IDs, sub-IDs, comfort characters [wtf is this new poo poo?] as fluffy tumblrkin. Mostly because if you learn about fictionkin and by the end of the week you suddenly have the entire cast of an anime as your kintypes, you probably don't know how to determine what a kintype is versus what you want to be a kintype. Being self critical and heavily introspective of potential kintypes was the norm for most otherkin until tumblr decided it means whatever they needed it to mean. I mean yeah you can have multiple kintypes at once, but it's just questionable if you can add and subtract kintypes depending on the flavor of the month, and what fandom you're currently into. [And this isn't even going into copinglink poo poo]

Fiftymews would your alias/name happen to start with a J or A? We might've talked once or twice on tumblr about kin poo poo. I'm assuming you've come from there because you're a new account ;P

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

value-brand cereal posted:

I don't recall what it originally meant, but two kinds of people use it lately.

So it's still basically the same thing among the over 30 crowd. Basically what happened is, when I was involved in otherkin stuff, I was bopping around the internet one day and stumbled across an article on an activist website of all things, discussing otherkin as a branch of social justice politics. At this time I was part of a small group of otherkin who spent all their time loving with other otherkin. It was called Permanent. Anyways, I made a blog and started writing long angry articles about how terrible these particular otherkin were and linking particularly egregious ones on forums and IRCs. The first night at this I made someone so upset they made a number of voice posts and deleted their blog. Skipping a bunch of pointless detail, after hammering away at the particular subgroup of kin on tumblr using every platform I could, the idea of tumblr-kin basically was cemented in the community at large.

At one point I had what basically were...fans. It was really quite weird.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I mean yeah you can have multiple kintypes at once

Are you an otherkin, and if so, seek help.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I don't recall what it originally meant, but two kinds of people use it lately. The anti social justice folks who call people special snowflakes and mock trigger warnings and poo poo who use tumblrkin as some weird pseudo-slur. They're also the same people who eagerly fall for trolls of 'I'm breadkin!' or 'I'm attack helicoptergenderkin!' type poo poo.

Then there's the 'greymuzzle' aka older otherkin/fictionkin/therian people who've identified as kin/therians for multiple decades who consider people with 30+ kintypes, IDs, sub-IDs, comfort characters [wtf is this new poo poo?] as fluffy tumblrkin. Mostly because if you learn about fictionkin and by the end of the week you suddenly have the entire cast of an anime as your kintypes, you probably don't know how to determine what a kintype is versus what you want to be a kintype. Being self critical and heavily introspective of potential kintypes was the norm for most otherkin until tumblr decided it means whatever they needed it to mean. I mean yeah you can have multiple kintypes at once, but it's just questionable if you can add and subtract kintypes depending on the flavor of the month, and what fandom you're currently into. [And this isn't even going into copinglink poo poo]

Is this real? Do you actually believe this?

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's the worst community. While in it I wrote a lot about the importance of critical thinking and sober self-reflection. After having a discussion with someone who was having a bit of an identity crisis about otherkin stuff, and trying to subtly nudge them out of the community altogether, this person decided to take my advice but in the worst way possible.

After a week of careful deliberation this person decided that what they were deep down, that the image that resonated with their soul in a primal, puissant, and preternatural way, that the very divine spark that animated them from the inside out took the form of...

An excavator. Painted neon pink.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Hate Fibration posted:

So it's still basically the same thing among the over 30 crowd. Basically what happened is, when I was involved in otherkin stuff, I was bopping around the internet one day and stumbled across an article on an activist website of all things, discussing otherkin as a branch of social justice politics. At this time I was part of a small group of otherkin who spent all their time loving with other otherkin. It was called Permanent. Anyways, I made a blog and started writing long angry articles about how terrible these particular otherkin were and linking particularly egregious ones on forums and IRCs. The first night at this I made someone so upset they made a number of voice posts and deleted their blog. Skipping a bunch of pointless detail, after hammering away at the particular subgroup of kin on tumblr using every platform I could, the idea of tumblr-kin basically was cemented in the community at large.

At one point I had what basically were...fans. It was really quite weird.

HAha that's great. That's strange someone would up and delete their tumblr but eh fair enough. It's fascinating to see the amount of effort put into debating and arguing about this kin stuff. I've seen big old reblog posts about bitching how someone's getting invalidated because their otherkin coping method is bad. I guess when you're involved in something for a couple decades it's a sunk cost fallacy? Somewhat like people in the furry community and how you can't criticize someone even if they're being abusive and hosed up. Then suddenly it's ten years later and your mobile home is stuffed with fifteen perpetually soggy fursuits.

What the hell is a voice post though? Did they use their phone to call in a post on tumblr?

nah lomarf thank god.

Paladinus posted:

Is this real? Do you actually believe this?

I did in fact typed it up on a computer and posted it so yes it's real and a fair amount of people believe in it. I learned most of it over the years from google and the occasional 'psa abt True kin factz' posts. I'm not otherkin, fictionkin, or therian. I just follow some people who post interesting nature and minerals poo poo interspersed with the occasional kin post. There's a fair overlap between pagan/witches with otherkin beliefs, which isn't surprising.
Otherkin is sort of this spirit animal / animism / totem belief with a slight twist to it. I think they're full of poo poo insofar as it's just a weird belief system, but keep my mouth shut lest someone send me a big old list of scientific articles about lycanthropy and DID/multiple systems. I know at least two different bloggers who do that. I'm just lurking for the occasional drama fest, hence sharing that undertale roleplaying kin drama over here. I think the last major kin drama was about Yandere Bitch Club but I wasn't a part of that and I don't think anyone here really cares.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~

Bean posted:

What did your mom say, and what did her parents do about it?

Not super sure--it was 10ish years ago now, but what I recall from my mom was her basically insisting that Danielle needed to see a doctor/leave me alone, and if it didn't happen my parents were going to move forward with legal charges. Her parents were VERY into their status in the community, and I think the threat was enough--we certainly didn't have for-sure proof it was her, just that the letters were written in a way very similar to the way Danielle frequently wrote.

I will say though that I also really liked her parents, and the family as a whole--they were very nice to me, and mostly seemed super befuddled about how their daughter turned into a Lolita-letter-nutjob.

That said they bought her an apartment free and clear AFTER she broke into a series of houses, so probably not a healthy dynamic.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

big old list of scientific articles about lycanthropy

Convince me that such a thing actually exists. Better still would be if there's some Institute for Creation Research for furries pumping out pseudoscience to support their cause.

FiftyMews
Oct 24, 2016

WELP THERE IT IS.
Thanks but my my therapist and nurse practitioner know and don't care. It doesn't effect how well I function as a person and I'm well aware I'm physically completely human and have to act as such. It's also a big part of my personal spirituality.

Fun fact: literally nobody cares in real life so long as it's not convincing you it's ok to do dumb poo poo like act like a wolf in public. Not that anyone on the Internet actually cares about that, lol.

Hate Fibration posted:

People do, it usually refers to those kids who have like 50 kintypes, think you can choose to be otherkin/fictionkin/therian, follow weird arbitrary rules that exist nowhere but tumblr... I realize people outside of the community laugh at it and it's whatever, but it's making poo poo difficult for those of us who aren't edgy radfem 16 year olds. I know of a kid with like 200+ kintypes in a google doc.

Fiftymews would your alias/name happen to start with a J or A? We might've talked once or twice on tumblr about kin poo poo. I'm assuming you've come from there because you're a new account ;P

poo poo, you got me. I'm pretty sure it might be obvious which from the my name if we're completely honest. Drop me a message? ;D

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
My spirit animal is the Ouroboros so I'm looking forward to watching this thread start to prey on itself

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.

FiftyMews posted:

WELP THERE IT IS.

So, are you actually 50 Mews stuffed into your husk?

FiftyMews
Oct 24, 2016

Red Hood posted:

So, are you actually 50 Mews stuffed into your husk?

I just really like cats and Pokemon.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.

FiftyMews posted:

I just really like cats and Pokemon.

Did you choose your cat/Pokemon spirit? Or did it choose you?

I guess this is better than the space dragon guy.

FiftyMews
Oct 24, 2016

Red Hood posted:

Did you choose your cat/Pokemon spirit? Or did it choose you?

I guess this is better than the space dragon guy.

Without going into too much detail, I believe I had a past life in a universe very different from ours, and that the life left an impression on my soul enough to remember bits and pieces this life. I'm fictionkin not in that I think the work of fiction was reality elsewhere but a lot of the things about that particular work of fiction happen to line up with these memories. My personal belief is that everyone has lives in other places via reincarnation and sometimes people remember past ones, wherever they may be, and it's really just a fluke when it happens.

No, I'm am not a Cat therian. I've used the self-image of a cat in particular to help with my trauma, though. Anna/Undying used to shame and tease me over things about me that she didn't like, and keeping the seemingly-aloof nature of a cat in mind helps me minimize self-consciousness and anxiety about those things around other people. Which isn't acting like a cat, either. It's just drawing on that idea of cats not really giving a gently caress. They are what they are. Also they're adorable so there's that.

And I've been playing Pokemon since Yellow came out and I'm not kin with it but I've been addicted since I was like 8. It's just one of those things I've always liked. I'll kick your rear end in 6v6 singles.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

I used to be part of the therian community for a couple of years back when I was a teenager (now 32). Back then, there was considered a big divide between therian and otherkin (that otherkin = elves and vampires and poo poo, lol crazy). Then I realised it was all loving crazy nutcase posers and lol what was I doing. This mostly came after letting someone host a group meditation session in my living room. :psyduck:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
When I was six I thought I was a multiverse reincarnation of every superhero and TV show protagonist ever. From Batman to Sherlock Holmes, from one of the ninja turtles to agent Cooper from Twin Peaks. Thank God I didn't have access to the internet back then.

Octofoot
Jul 16, 2008

I dunno, I can't get too down on most otherkin. The majority I've met are pretty much entirely harmless, and it seems to me like it's kind of just escapism taken to a slightly weird level. As long as they're not hurting anyone, I can't blame them for wanting to think about something other than how much this world sucks to live in, you know? Some people play DnD, some people write fanfiction, some play videogames, some dress up in fursuits and go to cons, and some people wish they were something a little more powerful or different than human and post about it on the internet. It's when it starts affecting quality of life and they start forcing others to enter their fantasy world that it gets lovely, and most otherkin I've met aren't expecting anyone else outside the community to go along with it. It's just that small percentage of people who really need outside help and have serious problems beyond this escapism that kind of gently caress it up for everyone else, seems like. But like, overall, hasn't everyone fantasized about being something more powerful than human from time to time?

My best friend has a horror story about an ex who was a scary-crazy otherkin, but it's not my story to tell and he's still dealing with the psychological fallout from that relationship and I doubt he's ready to talk about it yet. I've only heard the barest minimum and it's very :stare:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Otherkins are not really much weirder than any of the major religions.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OwlFancier posted:

Otherkins are not really much weirder than any of the major religions.

It is, though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Paladinus posted:

It is, though.

It isn't.

"I believe that a magic all powerful mary sue created me and guides every facet of my life and will take my inner spirit essence when i die and take it to live in a magical kingdom where everything is perfect as long as I follow this big book of rules."

Is not really weirder than

"I think I'm spiritually a cat."

Great, good for you, go figure out how to lick your own arsehole and may it bring you much joy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

It isn't.

"I believe that a magic all powerful mary sue created me and guides every facet of my life and will take my inner spirit essence when i die and take it to live in a magical kingdom where everything is perfect as long as I follow this big book of rules."

Great, good for you, go figure out how to lick your own arsehole and may it bring you much joy.
That sounds like a gross misrepresentation of both concepts.

I get telling people to not harass fiftymews for being an otherkin, cause seriously guys don't be dicks.

But you're going out of your way to make religion ridiculous and caricatured to tell off the likely atheist in the first place troll.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OwlFancier posted:

It isn't.

Nah, all major religions have thousands of years of philosophical thought, tradition, and practice behind them. Doesn't mean they are right or whatever, but they definitely present well thought-out and internally consistent ideologies and beliefs.

While otherkins are just sad teenagers who've read a wiki article on Native American beliefs, if that, and ran with it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Then I look forward to 200 years in the future when otherkinning is as normal as mormonism.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The social context of the fantastic belief makes a difference.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eh, not really, except that there are a lot more of that particular kind of oddball in the world.

People believe really stupid fantasy things as a matter of course, who gives a poo poo about the specifics? Other than insofar as it informs their actions.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 28, 2016

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
gullible idiots...only the weak seek religion.....ur no different from the otherkins....but don't let me stop you from worshiping your Mary Sue, heh.....

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The people who believe they're married to anime guys is coming from inside the thread!

Qwazes
Sep 29, 2014
Fun Shoe
Please don't let this thread end in a religion argument...

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

Convince me that such a thing actually exists. Better still would be if there's some Institute for Creation Research for furries pumping out pseudoscience to support their cause.

Unfortunately what I was thinking of was in some longass discussion post I saw some time ago. But I did find this page of both academic and pop culture discussions of otherkin and therianthropy

http://houseofchimeras.weebly.com/sources-on-otherkin.html

And for what it's worth, there's also documentation of otherkin / therianthropy history. This poo poo's been going on for a long time and it's not just tumblr kids fad like emos and scene kids. [Well ok for some it's probably a fad and they'll grow out of it when Verizon/Yahoo shuts down tumblr]

http://houseofchimeras.weebly.com/informative-articles.html

I'd agree that it isn't much stranger than most other religions in that it's another twist on reincarnation or animism or spirit animals/totems that are common in many religions throughout the world. People have been comparing themselves to and wanting to be animals since we lived in caves and poo poo. See also the Löwenmensch figurine. The real otherkin furry have been humankind all along!! gently caress!!!

Giant Isopod posted:

My spirit animal is the Ouroboros so I'm looking forward to watching this thread start to prey on itself

my spirit animal is a fifty ironic shitlords stuffed into a husk :3:

Qwazes posted:

Ok I will also shut up. I don't have any interesting internet drama anyhow.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Qwazes posted:

This, please. Scoff all you want, but the issue isn't "religion" or "otherkin" or whatever: the issue is how a chosen lifestyle overcomes a person so greatly they lose all sense of self-awareness or even self-worth. Often it comes from a place of abuse and/or untreated mental disease. It's the last and only way a person copes, and sadly it impacts friends and family around them. I don't know if anyone here has read Prester Jane's threads where she talks about growing up in such extreme evangelical Christianity it's pretty much a cult, but some of that behavior parallels with the extreme things shared in this thread.

I do like to laugh at these stories but then I look at the "ask me about LARP" thread where a woman recently shared she realized her daughter was making all the same mistakes she had due to her neglect as a parent. Thankfully they're all getting help but for every person like her who takes ownership of her mistakes there's tons of adults who don't.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Octofoot posted:

My best friend has a horror story about an ex who was a scary-crazy otherkin, but it's not my story to tell and he's still dealing with the psychological fallout from that relationship and I doubt he's ready to talk about it yet. I've only heard the barest minimum and it's very :stare:

We'll be here when he's ready to tell it. :munch:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I always love when there's a live one that comes into the thread to tell us exactly how nutty they are :allears:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Hate Fibration if you ever get into start kin discourse again on tumblr, please consider starting the argument that Lucifer/Satankin are factkin and not mythkin, and anyone who says otherwise is a filthy atheist. Thanks in advance. I think it would be hilarious just for the arguments this could produce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Prince Mythkin

• Locked thread