Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Prove what? Only thing we know for sure is that they are literally Not guilty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

DeathSandwich posted:

Counterpoint: It wasn't peaceful.

This is what a peaceful protest looks like. Also related, this is what police crushing a peaceful protest looks like.

lmao I'll never get over the super casual stroll this oinker has going on

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

This event has me literally scared Trump will win, despite all evidence to the contrary.

What a world.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Honestly, that's the terrifying part. This is coming on the heels of Trump claiming that the election is rigged if he doesn't win and even encouraging voter intimidation. Knowledgeable people on the subject like our own Prester Jane (who has a history of eerily accurate predictions of these kinds of things thanks to her childhood being raised by people like them) have already predicted that a Trump loss is likely to see more incidents like Malheur or even the attempted immigrant bombing in Kansas.

Now, the precedent this acquittal sets (and I know it's not a literal legal precedent, gently caress off with the semantics) will only add fuel to that fire. It combines the newfound bravery sovereign citizens and government protesters will feel from seeing their heroes get acquitted with the rage of their candidate losing the presidency, believing he only lost because the Democrats rigged the system. I not only won't be surprised if we see more right-wing terrorist attacks, I downright expect them.

I agree. I'm of the opinion that this will have an effect, but not the one they think.

Much like how Trump's claims of rigging and conspiracy have basically made any anti-government protest worthless (as you will automatically be associated with him and his ilk, and therefore haram to all but a certain subset of people), this seems like a clear message to the police and FBI that, next time, make sure no one makes it to trial. As we know from countless cases, police do not go to jail for killing civilians, regardless of the circumstances, and without witnesses or "poor innocent cowboys" to put up on the stand, the problem will eventually sort itself out. Sure, a few more instances will happen, but if so many of these cosplay commandos couldn't be bothered to show up for this one, imagine how few will show up to the third after a Waco style bloodbath.

Which is a gigantic problem if, like me, you don't want the cops to be able to kill with impunity and maybe just a slap on the wrist.

So the only folks left to do any occupying or domestic terrorism will be those demented and determined enough to actually follow through, and assholes will have a convenient target to point at and say "look, the cops kill white people too!" and dismiss genuine and real concerns about urban policing.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

DeathSandwich posted:

The standoff was anything but peaceful and the videos of Tarpman begging to die prove that. They wanted a confrontation with the feds, the difference being they wanted the confrontation on their terms (at the Wildlife Refuge, with women and children as human shields) and they got snatched at their most vulnerable instead.

They wanted to be martyrs soooooo bad and now they won't even get to stay in jail lmao

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Boner Zone posted:

lmao I'll never get over the super casual stroll this oinker has going on
"<shrugs> It's a living"

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

nm posted:

They were because they somehow let a jury of 11 sovcits plus one alternate sovcit get empaneled.

This is what I don't get. If there were 1 or 2 holdout jurors then it would be plausible the attorneys just got unlucky or a little sloppy during jury selection. Unanimous not-guilty verdicts is something else.

Also this trial was pretty well covered, wouldn't people have noticed the prosecutors were incompetent before the verdict?

edit: Statistically if we assume the average prospective juror has a 50% chance of being a anti-federal government nullifier, there's still only an 0.02% chance of getting an all-nullifier jury. Even 50% nullifier probability seems pretty high, although I don't know much about Oregon. These have to be the unluckiest attorneys in the world.

Nocturtle has issued a correction as of 17:01 on Oct 28, 2016

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
sometimes juries fail, but what a case to fail on

turns out you can get away with destroying government property if you're white

whelp, time for a waco rerun

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nocturtle posted:

What about the blatant property theft? Medenbach stole an actual truck and was found not guilty. The attorneys weren't the problem here.

Wasn't Ryan caught with money stolen from one of the safes? There were purchases on government cards as well, iirc.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i'm the cop to his right in the back that looks kinda into it

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

yeah but they weren't charged with those crimes at this point. those might be state-level crimes that they can still be tried for. no idea if the state is going to pursue it though.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Baloogan posted:

Prove what? Only thing we know for sure is that they are literally Not guilty

This is literally not true btw. If you assume good faith on the party of the jury then they were Not Proven Guilty Beyond A Reasonable Doubt

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Jose posted:

a billboard near me gets this quite a bit

Seconds after this photo was taken that poor bicyclist's mind broke and he drove straight into an oncoming box truck.

Also, this is worse than O.J. I thought jury selection was supposed to weed out literal retards.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

are there no charges stemming from the poo poo that went down in oklahoma or texas or wherever that was?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Feminasty Slut posted:

Seconds after this photo was taken that poor bicyclist's mind broke and he drove straight into an oncoming box truck.

Also, this is worse than O.J. I thought jury selection was supposed to weed out literal retards.

Just the opposite - jury selection typically tries to weed out anyone with any expert knowledge or anyone with an opinion on any of the matters on trial

Karl Barks posted:

are there no charges stemming from the poo poo that went down in oklahoma or texas or wherever that was?

That's a separate trial, apparently

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
These people carefully recorded days and days worth of video documenting in great detail the crimes they were charged with and got away with it because America is terminally stupid. Just give the country to Trump and end it all already.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Main Paineframe posted:

Just the opposite - jury selection typically tries to weed out anyone with any expert knowledge or anyone with an opinion on any of the matters on trial

That's a separate trial, apparently

So our system is designed to keep jurors as dim as possible. I get the idea, but obviously we need some serious overhaul.

Feminasty Slut posted:

These people carefully recorded days and days worth of video documenting in great detail the crimes they were charged with and got away with it because America is terminally stupid. Just give the country to Trump and end it all already.

The jury was so determined to be soft on them because they are white that they bravely ignored all that rather than risk letting those poor flowers face all that nasty punishment. Now if they were at all darker, they be lucky to be rotting in a cell, but they weren't so now we get to watch them start much worse.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

What's this mean? That I didn't correctly predict an outcome that even shocked the defense, not to mention the entire us?

And lol you seriously are digging through people's post history like a wanna be helldumper :sad:

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm so angry at the verdict! Nnnnrrrrrrraghhghghgh!!!

*Shits a mountain of cum that propels me through the roof of my office*

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Burt Sexual posted:

What's this mean? That I didn't correctly predict an outcome that even shocked the defense, not to mention the entire us?

And lol you seriously are digging through people's post history like a wanna be helldumper :sad:

lol

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lol

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Geostomp posted:

So our system is designed to keep jurors as dim as possible. I get the idea, but obviously we need some serious overhaul.

The jury was so determined to be soft on them because they are white that they bravely ignored all that rather than risk letting those poor flowers face all that nasty punishment. Now if they were at all darker, they be lucky to be rotting in a cell, but they weren't so now we get to watch them start much worse.

I'm willing to bet on actual conspiracy among the jurors to obstruct justice. A "not guilty" verdict was delivered so fast after deliberations were restarted that it can only be intentional.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/792041009869762562

gently caress you Juror #4

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm willing to bet on actual conspiracy among the jurors to obstruct justice. A "not guilty" verdict was delivered so fast after deliberations were restarted that it can only be intentional.
We should get a special investigator and those punks should be in jail.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Casimir Radon posted:

gently caress you Juror #4

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Juror 11 should not have been dismissed- the rationale was flimsy. This is partly on Brown.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Baloogan posted:

R u saying that the system is

Rigged?

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Nah just that a sizable population of the country looks and acts totally reasonable but deep down is actually hella dumb and the country is doomed as a result

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

cumshitter posted:

I'm so angry at the verdict! Nnnnrrrrrrraghhghghgh!!!

*Shits a mountain of cum that propels me through the roof of my office*

Should've stayed away from those sugar free gummy bears.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

quote:

"It should be known that all 12 jurors felt that this verdict was a statement regarding the various failures of the prosecution to prove 'conspiracy' in the count itself – and not any form of affirmation of the defense's various beliefs, actions or aspirations,'' Juror 4 wrote Friday in a lengthy email to The Oregonian/OregonLive.

It turns out "conspiracy" was the word of the day and after everyone stopped screaming they decided to vote not guilty on everything.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

12 Dumbass Men

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

More Juror #4 shenanigans. Wishing this rear end in a top hat a nice long battle with cancer.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

chitoryu12 posted:

hahaha yeah the Federal government should appoint a special prosecutor to go after these jurors, arrest them, and imprison them, and then re-try the Bundys

totally

thats totally what they should do ahahahahahahaha

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
One time an armed mob took over my office building but I still went to work because i'm not a huge pussy.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

buesiness administration major, piece of poo poo spotted

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

guarantee this guy is a randian

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I'm juror #4 and can confirm I'm a huge piece of poo poo.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

quote:

Juror 4 noted the panel couldn't simply rely on the defendants' "defining actions'' to convict.

:lol:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The article makes it sound like the prosecution hosed up the jury instructions badly.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
The jury's thinking appears to be "conspiracy? nawww, they look like good people" and the firearms/theft charges were apparently reliant on that charge. Hopefully the prosecutors in Nevada can make use of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

"Look, just because they literally, undeniably committed the crimes in question doesn't mean they're guilty of anything." -Juror 4, probably.