Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Willie Tomg posted:

Parasites and nanomachines are literally-within-the-text magic and I'm astonished people who purportedly give a poo poo about a game series struggle with this minutia so much when nobody has any reason to do anything at all when you think about it in The Last Metal Gear Game.

Isn't that kind of the point? Metal Gear has an in-world explanation to make most things fit together coherently, and they mostly make sense on a symbolic and thematic level. In this game, we've got vocal parasites and metallic archaea instead of nanomachines, but the principle is still the same. It's a tool for storytelling, to give the characters motivation to do things. When it comes to Kojima's idiocy, I suspend my disbelief super-easy, because the stories he tells are still pretty good. Also, the plot is much less important in a story (and especially in Metal Gear) than character motivations, and I feel that those are consistent and well idealised.

At the same time, it's kind of easy to see that Kojima's running out of steam with this game, even though he's been running out of steam about Metal Gear since Sons of Liberty. This is what happens when you don't really plan ahead as a games developer, and also tell your story bass-ackwards. Imagine if he hadn't been fired from Konami. Where would the Metal Gear story have gone, really? Maybe a WW2 game starring the Cobra unit, but other than that, the plot is basically finished.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Yeah apart from Cobra Unit/Original Boss stuff there'd maybe be a second go at the plot of the original Metal Gears and that's it. Any other stuff and it'd have to be just villain of the week kind of crap because basically every actual important event has been pretty thoroughly explained by now.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I really like what Platinum did with Rising actually. Moving on from the La Li Lu Le Lo bullshit, and exploring what their absence meant to the world.

Tommy_Blanco
Oct 29, 2011

Willie Tomg posted:

I think we should quietly yet definitely do this after a bunch of posts about an act 1 climax that shows a lot of promise, btw.

Kojima had all the time in the world. gently caress Konami.

I'm still restraining myself from posting the post about a possible ending to the game.

I don't know if he really did though. The falling out between Kojima and the company had the feeling of something that's been building up for a while and I wouldn't find it hard to believe if that strain affected the development of the game. The appearance is that they were looking him to get the hell out of dodge as soon as possible and rush the game out. Did anyone ever find out what the whole story was behind that?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Money spent on AAA games and the time to develop and release is less money spent on pumping out cheap mobile games and pachinko machines that would rake in profits right away.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Where would the Metal Gear story have gone, really?
Immediate-pre-Revengeance era Twitter shitposting simulator starring The Winds of Destruction.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Wow the thread has had more posts in the past day then it has the past month

Wheany posted:

As opposed to climbing a ladder for several minutes?

Touche, though I guess it feels more off in this game. In MGS3 you enter the room and just start climbing while the music plays, in 5 the big bad tells you his plan and motivation then gets quiet as the music plays. I think it would of been less jarring if the music started playing while Skull Face was still talking and then continued playing during the silence.

Mantis Jr took the second vial that Boss chucked into the fire, and I guess Skull Face meant he injected one of the vials into himself to uh.. I guess spread it while he talks to BB and Miller :shrug:?

Willie Tomg posted:

MGS4 is reviled as an MGS and gets ripped on a ton for a disgusting cutscene:gameplay ratio even by MGS standards, and the gross fluff surrounding the BnB unit, and that everything is basically nanomachines except for psycho mantis still being a thing for reasons that are almost aggressively unexplained but I would actually argue that last stuff owns for reasons too farty to go into in a thread that isn't about MGS4.

But even at its worst, you can't say the boss battles didn't go for a feel. Creepy paranoia in the in the Octopus fight. Escalating desperation in the Raven fight. Nostalgic sniper battle in the Wolf fight. They all mix the best characteristics of other encounters and even when they're weird as all hell they're always definitely going for A Thing, and they're all tight as hell. They present you with a puzzle. You solve the puzzle by fighting it to death. Puzzle ends.

I can't for the life of me figure out what the Salelanthepous or whatever fight is trying to be except "a shitshow about rocket sponge"

I can't even figure out what Skull Face even did. What did Skull Face do that couldn't have been done by some fresh-faced MBA? Say what you will about Liquid Ocelot being a hot mess of a character concept he did some loving Things goddammit

Yeah, I feel Skull Face is really.. underutilized. Yeah he takes out Mother Base but other then that...? The guy doesn't show up that often either, reminder that this is at 31 missions in and who knows how many side missions. You don't see him in person until missions 6, he is gone until mission 12, then 20 and then he is completely gone until 30 and gets offed in 31. We see him a literal handful of times. If either some of the main missions were condensed (honestly, I'll discuss this like 2019 when I finally finish this LP and talk about it) or the guy appeared more often he would of worked better. But as it is now he appears 4 times, makes a threat then peaces out, tells you his entire plan during a car ride then dies.

Also WhooooOOOOOooooOOOooo is nothing compared to machine gun hands

Vadoc posted:

Money spent on AAA games and the time to develop and release is less money spent on pumping out cheap mobile games and pachinko machines that would rake in profits right away.

And how hilarious that this isn't actually making Konami enough money for them to double back what... a year later? And to go and make a zombie game, and I'm sure it'll be cash shopped to hell and back, like that one zombie game from SOE DBG

Fish Noise posted:

Immediate-pre-Revengeance era Twitter shitposting simulator starring The Winds of Destruction.

Incoming tweet from @doktor: Left hands Raiden!
"Boris, turn off my twitter function!"

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I dunno, I felt like they could have had another mission where you sneak around the Sahelanthropus hangar while it's dormant looking for XOF documents about the gasmasked kid and Skullface. Maybe Snake has to disable the nukes by finding the metal archea trigger Skullface has to disable them?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Fish Noise posted:

Monsoon only posts image macros.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Leal posted:

I'm sure it'll be cash shopped to hell and back, like that one zombie game from SOE DBG

BTW, has there been any backlash on the online functions (I'm thinking microtransactions/FOB invasion/GMP amount) of MGS 5?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Now, this might be a spoiler question, but what happened with the Battle Gear Huey was building for you? Is that why Sahelanthropus got to come back with you?

Cause this is, again, really Peace Walkerish. You fight the main bad guy, and destroy his bipedal superweapon, and the credits roll. After the credits, you're kicked back into gameplay and there's more story and more missions.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 23, 2016

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Now, this might be a spoiler question, but what happened with the Battle Gear Huey was building for you? .

Konami happened

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Atomikus posted:

Konami happened

...But what if it had an on-board pachinko machine?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Is it ever explained why the hovering gas mask kid is both selectively invisible and immune to bullets? I tried to read the plot on Wikipedia but it's just incomprehensible kojima.txt. I get that he's psychic or something but :confused:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Leal posted:

And how hilarious that this isn't actually making Konami enough money for them to double back what... a year later? And to go and make a zombie game, and I'm sure it'll be cash shopped to hell and back, like that one zombie game from SOE DBG
That is really the best part what with Konami's dedication with burning down every single bridge possible biting them in the rear end.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Darkest Auer posted:

Is it ever explained why the hovering gas mask kid is both selectively invisible and immune to bullets? I tried to read the plot on Wikipedia but it's just incomprehensible kojima.txt. I get that he's psychic or something but :confused:

Kojima's conception of "psychic" with Psycho/Screaming Mantis and The Sorrow is strongly coorelated with (un)death and the afterlife and ghosty stuff.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Monsoon only posts image macros.

Fish Noise fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 23, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Wheany posted:

BTW, has there been any backlash on the online functions (I'm thinking microtransactions/FOB invasion/GMP amount) of MGS 5?

No one likes these functions (well, I mean I'm sure there are a few. Its the internet, they could of a fully detailed Paz torture scene and people would like it) and everyone knows its clear cash grabbing by Konami trying to squeeze out more money for their $60 game. It isn't helped that on the PC version it was so easy to run cheat engine and just give yourself infinite health or the ability to KO everyone on the strut with the push of a button (But of course you can just buy insurance with real money :iamafag:)

Darkest Auer posted:

I forgot to plug my keyboard into USB port 2 :doh:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:siren: Side missions and cassettes 2 :siren:

Today we got another batch of cassette tapes, and since a lot more side missions unlocked I can play them over the tapes. Some of the side missions unlock some really useful research options for us.

Jahooty

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I like how gruff and straight to business Snake is. "I don't need gratitude--I need security."

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Leal posted:

:siren: Side missions and cassettes 2 :siren:

Today we got another batch of cassette tapes, and since a lot more side missions unlocked I can play them over the tapes. Some of the side missions unlock some really useful research options for us.

Jahooty

I'm guessing the adrenaline in response to pain parasite was from the Fury?

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Thanks for LPing this game. I don't tend to nerd out over video games but I absolutely adore the Metal Gear series, but life's moved on so I never was able to pick this one up.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Darkest Auer posted:

My explanation is that he's invading peoples' minds and affecting what they can and can't see. Be invisible one minute and the next, maybe being visible but a few feet to the left or right.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I thought they were just teleporting but yeah it's just misc psychicshit.txt

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
So, is Miller blind? When rescued, Boss asks if something happened to his eyes, and in the last cutscene he definitely looks like he's got blind person eyes... but he in no way acts like it. Kojima?!?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Kojima.

I love these scary stories by Grandpa Code Talker! Keep em coming.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:siren: Chapter 32 :siren:

Today we extract an ex XOF agent. Sorry for the delay, I've had jury duty this past week.

Tommy_Blanco
Oct 29, 2011
The thing that gets about about The Phantom Pain is how little Boss actually talks during the game. I guess they blew all of Kiefer's budget on the audio logs? It's kinda jarring especially when you go from previous MGS to this. Way too stoic.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

It only seems less because he's not repeating everything in the form of a question.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's probably my favorite part of his characterization. It shows that he's not Snake anymore. He's a changed man, even in his speech.

An idea: Snake's constant Metal Gearing is supposed to be a speech pattern in Japanese, a polite way of showing that you've understood, right? Does that mean that Big Boss' stoicism is meant to be impolite?

And wow, the Battle Gear is really underwhelming! A four-legged tank with a rail gun (that you can't even drive around)? Really, Huey? You always find new ways to disappoint me.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I'm kind of confused about battle gear hovering for a while what was that about?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tank treads make vehicles hover. It's basic engineering.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
So they used the corpses of the Cobra unit to teach the nanoma-, I mean parasites, about acrobatics, camouflage, photosynthesis and controlling bees with your mind, right?

I have one slight issue with this. When Snake fought them in Russia, they all exploded when they died.

So where did Diné get his hands on their corpses?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

ManSedan posted:

So, is Miller blind? When rescued, Boss asks if something happened to his eyes, and in the last cutscene he definitely looks like he's got blind person eyes... but he in no way acts like it. Kojima?!?
I believe what happened is that Miller eyes were injured, possibly due to torture or having the helo get hit years early so that they are now extremely sensitive to light and he needs sunglasses to be able to see.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its implied his eyes are sensitive to light due to being tortured, when we rescued him at the start of the game. Snake asks if they did something to Miller's eyes to which he replies "Its bright, thats all."

Sorry for being late again for videos, my day after returning from jury duty I learn a coworker quit so lots of hours for me this Thanksgiving month. I am thankful for the extra spending cash I'll get at the cost of my sanity :shepspends:

E: Also the thing about floating tank, the treads are just to deceive you. You're across a river and think you're safe then bam, the tank just floats over the river and wrecks your poo poo.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:siren: Chapter 33 :siren:

So uh, how about reusing missions, even down to the optional side missions?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
This is basically how I'd play Metal Gear. All alert, all chaos, no skill.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:siren: Chapter 34 :siren:

Well, we are redoing a mission that is usually long if I wasn't just cutting a bunch of content because its all a rehash. So I talk about something else instead

This thread is now a burger thread.

E: Also I apologize for my increasingly deterioration of my voice as the video goes on. This second episode of the flu really hosed with me.

Leal fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 10, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Not as big on burgers (I *could* be but when I get beef it tends to get browned right away and frozen for pasta sauce and such) but my family makes some good fruit pies; a little tapioca to hold the thing together but mostly crust, fruit, and raisins instead of sugar as a sweetener. It's a wonderful breakfast food, but you gotta moderate that stuff. "healthier than store pie" is not the same as "healthy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I love burgers too! Romaine lettuce, tomato slices, a thin thing of mozzarella, pan-seared champignon, homemade garlic sauce (made from oven-roasted garlic), and a homebaked bun.

• Locked thread